• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel: AMD is in the rear-view mirror and never again will they be in the windshield

Corporate trash talk is the best kind of PR.

crows windshield GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
ill wait and see on that. They are just competitive now with amds older stuff. I hope they do keep stepping their game up though. They were way too lazy for too long

ymoc

I own an Intel, but what on earth is that guy smoking... It's going to take some time and actual gear to able to claim you're that far ahead. They seem to be neck to neck in performance these days, with AMD being superior in quite a few categories (though their prices have gone up a lot lately...)

ZywyPL

Banned
Ehh from what I’ve heard the new AMD cpus absolutely destroys intel’s offering.. but that’s just hearsay at this point.

If AMD didn't "destroy" Intel by now, it's safe to say they never will. Intel god a bad press in the past years for being stuck at 14mn for so long, but nevertheless their CPUs were still great and still traded blows with AMD's counterparts, offer actually being on top when it comes to FPS charts. So if AMD didn't bite a huge chunk of the market in the past years despite being already on 7nm with double/triple the threads in the same price range, I really don't see then even being the unquestionable no. 1 like for example in the good old Athlon XP times. Honestly, the only times AMD/ATI were "good" was when Intel or Nvidia screwed up, and AMD/ATI were never even to capitalize on that. They obviously have a much, much better offer for the presumer market, given Intel went with the big.LITTLE layout, but on the consumer/gaming side of things, all people really need as as fast as possible quad-core, that's what most average Joes buy.

Buggy Loop

Well it’s cool to see Intel with a bit of a fighting spirit.

AMD kind of poked a dragon. It took 3 gens of Ryzen on the best foundry node on earth to surpass a 14+++++++++++++++nm. I mean, great for both sides, but the engineers at Intel are fucking insanely good at what they can put in transistor density on a problematic node. Can’t imagine how it’ll go with TSMC 5nm (and they are securing for 3nm).

Bring on a much needed CPU war.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Well it’s cool to see Intel with a bit of a fighting spirit.

AMD kind of poked a dragon. It took 3 gens of Ryzen on the best foundry node on earth to surpass a 14+++++++++++++++nm. I mean, great for both sides, but the engineers at Intel are fucking insanely good at what they can put in transistor density on a problematic node. Can’t imagine how it’ll go with TSMC 5nm (and they are securing for 3nm).

Bring on a much needed CPU war.
At what power draw?

The Skull

First competetive products in how long and they're talking shit? Are they not still getting smoked in server and HEDT? Also "Our new products beat our competitors old products" is not much of a win.

Larogue

Zen 4 coming later this year using TSMC's N5P node (world's best silicon, period).

It will be a bloodbath against Intel's 13th gen 10nm+++

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Zen 4 coming later this year using TSMC's N5P node (world's best silicon, period).

It will be a bloodbath against Intel's 13th gen 10nm+++
You guys are so into the “nm” naming game. Intel should just call their next node “-854nm” to impress people like Larogue who fall for naming conventions like “mega super plus pro MAX”

eNT1TY

Iunno about that, not long ago intel were getting whooped across every segment of CPUs from budget/mobile to enterprise. Was Alder Lake THAT MUCH of a beast?

smbu2000

You guys are so into the “nm” naming game. Intel should just call their next node “-854nm” to impress people like Larogue who fall for naming conventions like “mega super plus pro MAX”
Intel already did that last year.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1682...nm-3nm-20a-18a-packaging-foundry-emib-foveros

Their 10nm Enhanced Super Fin process will now be called “Intel 7”.
Their 7nm process will now be called “Intel 4”.
Intel‘s 7nm+ process will now be called “Intel 3”.
Their 5nm process will now be called “Intel 20A”.

”So as stated before, one element of renaming the nodes is due to matching parity with other foundry offerings. Both TSMC and Samsung, competitors to Intel, were using smaller numbers to compare similar density processes. With Intel now renaming itself, it gets more in-line with the industry. That being said, perhaps sneakily, Intel’s 4nm might be on par with TSMC’s 5nm, reversing the tables. By 3nm we expect there to be a good parity point, however that will depend on Intel matching TSMC’s release schedule.”

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thought it's a Leonidas thread. This guy is some fake shit too though, companies shouldn't have their suits do these unless they have someone with Iwata's charisma, if it's just a pure PR construct and not feigning a real person directly facing you to peddle their bs it's more forgivable somehow.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Ehh from what I’ve heard the new AMD cpus absolutely destroys intel’s offering.. but that’s just hearsay at this point.
Yeah that is my current take after looking into a new CPU/Cooler/mobo/memory option for my PC.

I've always bought Intel for my self - since my first 80286 - but looking at Alder Lake it seems that when all is said and done you are really only getting a true 8 Core system (2 way Hyper-thread cores) with regular amounts of L1, L2, L3 cache + 4 to 8 Pentium Gold type cores with a small 2MB cache - which reminds of the PS4 design of the 8 jaguar cores + ARM low power helper cores, or the Switch, with its 4 Big Cores ARM cores + a low power 4 smaller cores for portable use design.

As someone currently with a 12 Core Xeon(that replaced an i7-3820), and only looking to change for TPM 2.0 Windows 11 requirements, Alder Lake looks completely weak (depending on high Clock and effective hardware scheduler, compared to AMD's 12 core (and above) or compared to Intel's Xeon range - or am I mis-reading thje situation.

Alder Lake feels like a return to the original Pentium Sales pitch, when all software could only really use a single 486DX core inside each Pentium, meaning the performance benefit was ages off for adopters - by which time a better Pentium 2 was released.

HTK

Banned
Windshield, Rear View Mirror blah blah blah. Where is the supply at MSRP? That's the only thing I care about at this point, because it's preventing me for the last 18 months to build a PC.

Brofist

This doesn’t bother me. Intel needed a wake up call and it’s obvious from the last few AMD releases especially on the GPU side that they’d be no better than Intel was without competition. Good to see some of that arrogance returning.

People won’t see intel’s comeback coming. They’re treating them almost like pre ryzen amd, not knowing how solid they’re looking.

Like amd post ryzen, it will take a few years for the masses to notice intel’s comeback. Intel is not messing around and they are building more fab plants.

pratyush

Mostly the confidence is coming from Raptor and Lunar lake CPU.

Intel biggest hurdle is Apple performance per watt figure which will take few years.

Oh yeah? What happens if AMD picks up speed drafting you from behind? Cause that's how race cars pull ahead of others. Vroom.

Sophist

AMD as a company is still nothing compared to Intel. When Intel will start producing 3nm CPUs using TSMC fabs, around 2023, AMD will go back to insignificance.

PaintTinJr

I can only assume the context for Intel's CEO statement is in the Laptop and Ultra Laptop market, which Alder Lake's P(erformance) cores and E(ffiency) core configuration and emerging high-end graphics will give them a huge advantage as that market consumes the desktop market in the coming decade, but given the configurations and tiering of Alder Lake for Desktop it feels weak and uncompetitive, even if the E cores are really meant to service DirectStorage decompression, the entry Intel CPU with 8P + 2E setup and sort of matching up with directstorage on XSX(configured as mobile 6P + 2E from what I can see), and with the top tier being core E aligned with the PS5's mobile 8P + 8E(equivalent of the IO complex).

But in the desktop space, most of us would rather go 12P (or more) with zero E cores, and instead use a % of a GPU for DirectStorage decompression. The price tiers for these chips in desktop don't make sense to me to be charging a premium for the unimpressive E cores and certainly is making me consider going AMD for the first time ever.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still regret getting 3700x and x570 platform. What a load of annoying trash it was for first few months. All for performance line middle of the road Intel in games

I dunno, they (Intel) should probably start to produce 7nm processors first.
Intel's process is actually more dense than AMD's. So essentially even at 1nm, Intel's 5nm will be competitive.

But in the desktop space, most of us would rather go 12P (or more) with zero E cores, and instead use a % of a GPU for DirectStorage decompression. The price tiers for these chips in desktop don't make sense to me to be charging a premium for the unimpressive E cores and certainly is making me consider going AMD for the first time ever.
I wonder if Intel will have some features in their GPU that would allow to leverage e-cores.

Last edited:

Sophist

This right here is called delusional fanboy drivel.
people don't realize how Intel is big compared to AMD. Intel actually sold more CPUs in 2021 than 2020 but at a lesser price.
AMD is still made out of clay, its sudden surge may fade away as quick as it came.

net income for 2021,
intel: $20 billions
amd: $3 billions
screenshot2022-02-03aywjv2.png

screenshot2022-02-03aw0jr6.png

winjer

Gold Member
people don't realize how Intel is big compared to AMD. Intel actually sold more CPUs in 2021 than 2020 but at a lesser price.
AMD is still made out of clay, its sudden surge may fade away as quick as it came.

net income for 2021,
intel: $20 billions
amd: $3 billions

Considering the huge difference in size and revenue, it's very impressive that AMD is still able to compete with Intel.
And for several times, it was ahead, such as with the K7, K8 and Zen3 before Alder lake.

pratyush

I dunno, they (Intel) should probably start to produce 7nm processors first.
Nm branding means absolutely nothing now. This has been mentioned multiple times. Density and performance figures are more important than NM branding

7nm of Intel is not same as 7nm of Samsung or TSMC.

Top Bottom