• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Arc Announced. High Performance Graphics. DX12 Ultimate. Hardware Ray Tracing. AI Super Sampling. Launches Q1 2022.

winjer

Gold Member
Products designed by architect who made worst gpus in AMD history. Expect same "universal" compute architecture here with low gaming efficiency.
And driver team that makes AMD look professional.

The R600 (HD 2900X) was much worse than Vega.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I hope they do well, but I have my doubts.

We need more competition, and more American electronics. My current build is all AMD. Hopefully my next build in 5 years is all Intel.

Type_Raver

Welcome to the party intel.

Hopefully they'll release a timely, performant and affordable GPU.
Curious to see how they go.

Competition is good, but to me it feels like Intel is still a decade away from being truly competitive with team green and red.

rnlval

Products designed by architect who made worst gpus in AMD history. Expect same "universal" compute architecture here with low gaming efficiency.
And driver team that makes AMD look professional.
Mr TFLOPS who forgotten rasterization's importance for raster-based games. A proper GPU is not DSP.

Vega's "Poor Volta" FUD was a joke.

Last edited:

rnlval

The R600 (HD 2900X) was much worse than Vega.
The team for R600 was removed from AMD e.g. R600's ring bus designer moved to Intel.

Unlike R600, R700 has hardware MSAA (built into ROPS) and crossbar. R600's designers think MSAA can be emulated by shaders.

coffinbirth

The team for R600 was removed from AMD e.g. R600's ring bus designer moved to Intel.

Unlike R600, R700 has hardware MSAA (built into ROPS) and crossbar. R600's designers think MSAA can be emulated by shaders.
Wasn't that like...15 years ago?

fersnake

damm Intel hurry up and try to compete with AMD and Nvidia on the mid and high end gpu's feels like forever.

Cyborg

Competition is always good clearly AMD can't compete with Nvidia and the last one doesn't give an fck about the consumers.
So I hope Intel succeeds with a great product and a competitive price point. If this happens customers will win...

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The more options the better, 3rd player was needed for quite some time seeing how incompetent AMD is in competing with NV. It'll be interesting to see what Intel's RT performance is, and how their AI upscaling stacks against DLSS, they have quite an experience in that regards with their CPUs, so it should get orders of magnitude better while accelerated on the GPU.

Really exited about this. Intel has a DLSS equivalent solution in works and they'll have a separate release event focusing on that in coming weeks. Nvidia and Intel will have AI up-sampling, AMD on the other hand won't. I'll go either for Nvidia or Intel GPU next year, not AMD.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Competition is good, but to me it feels like Intel is still a decade away from being truly competitive with team green and red.
If the rumors of RTX 3070 levels of performance are true then for a "first" go they are well into the we can compete territory.
The Alchemist is 512EU they could squeeze a bigger EU count for a Turbo edition and it would reach RTX 3080 or higher levels of performance. (wishful thinking).
Battlemage will likely be the only time they have an xx80-ish class card.

For me its all down to pricing really, if they can price this thing at or under a RTX 3060ti then they have a real shot at being successful.
You dont really need to have the king of the hill chip to be seen as competitive as not that many people actually buy the king shit chips.

The most popular DXR generation cards are

RTX 2060
RTX 2070
RTX 3070

If Intel makes an RTX 3070 class card they are bound to climb the gaming rig charts pretty quickly because the xx70 class is the most popular segment.
Im praying the price it correct so Nvidia realize the xx70 segment was never supposed to be 500 frikken dollars.
We were buying these things for tree'fiddy.

I'm confused. Is this an integrated GPU or a discrete one?

edit: spelling

Its a discrete GPU:
Intel-Xe-HPG-DG2-512EU-Leak3.jpg

Xyphie

We know the largest chip is a ~400mm^2 die on TSMC 7/6nm, so it should be something like a ~20 billion transistor GPU. Comparatively Navi 22 (6700XT) is ~335mm^2 on the same node, so Intel should be faster than that if it's good architecturally and on the software side of things. but it shouldn't be able to reach 6800XT/3080 performance.

I think the scatterplot of performance for Xe-HPG will be all over the place initially for software reasons.

Kumomeme

for newcomer it not be easy for them to compete on high range market. even AMD struggled for years against Nvidia

but hopefully they can bring something on mid range. more competition will benefit budget gamers.

Black_Stride

for newcomer it not be easy for them to compete on high range market. even AMD struggled for years against Nvidia

but hopefully they can bring something on mid range. more competition will benefit budget gamers.

xx70s are basically midrange chips now, the 448EU chip is just under RTX 3060ti levels of performance, the full fat 512 should be RTX 3070+
Priced correctly they have themselves something that should fly off the shelves.
Intel being a "trusted" brand also gives them some clout...not saying AMD werent a trusted brand but their GPUs werent exactly setting the world on fire....the last time I was even remotely interested in AMD GPUs it was separate company call ATi and the OG Xbox was still a thing.

Haggard

Banned
More options are always the best for the consumer. I hope Intel can deliver (although I´d not bet on it).

Kenpachii

I dunno, I think there's a difference between supporting PCIe 5.0 on paper and making use of it (i.e. actually utilizing the additional bandwidth it provides). These new Intel cards might do the former, but they sure as hell won't be doing the latter.

They are going to do the same shit as AMD does with sam or whatever they call it and intel with there version of it. That's what i mean with optimisation, could very well be the card is pci-e 5.0 focused and the features are locked to that solution which forces people to upgrade again the same way AMD also does it, hell even intel did it with there cpu's.

If it will happen who knows.

Kenpachii

More options are always the best for the consumer. I hope Intel can deliver (although I´d not bet on it).

Wouldn't always say that, Intel could very well moneyhat the game market up on PC by money hatting games towards there specific features and banning every single other feature out of it from other company's.

Or basically order company's to slam in code to nuke performance on other competitor cards. U can see this for example in valhalla already where nvidia cards are just laughable badly underused and not a single fuck was given by ubisoft because contract with amd.

supernova8

Banned
Intel is the new comer with a bad reputation for graphic technology. Right now they're striking during a GPU shortage so they'll see success, but it's unknown if that success can hold.

At least among tech reviewers/youtubers, I think it's clear that Intel Xe (onboard) graphics in their current form are actually quite good. Trading blows with the best integrated graphics AMD (currently) has to offer.

My guess would be that AMD is saving their Ryzen + RDNA2 combo APUs for whenever Intel launches something impressive.

Whether Intel can pull it off is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't bet against Intel making a triumphant return via Pat Gelsinger in the way that AMD has done with Lisa Su.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

At least among tech reviewers/youtubers, I think it's clear that Intel Xe (onboard) graphics in their current form are actually quite good. Trading blows with the best integrated graphics AMD (currently) has to offer.

My guess would be that AMD is saving their Ryzen + RDNA2 combo APUs for whenever Intel launches something impressive.

Whether Intel can pull it off is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't bet against Intel making a triumphant return via Pat Gelsinger in the way that AMD has done with Lisa Su.

791007.jpg

Truly I wouldnt bet against Intel.

rnlval

Wasn't that like...15 years ago?
AMD has pushing Async Compute/TMU read-write path since it bypasses ROPS read-write bottleneck.

AMD's push for Async Compute PR was nearly silent when RDNA 2 NAVI 21 has 128 ROPS with high clock speed, hence very competitive raster preformance.

rnlval

Targeting low settings with 1080p resolution shifts workload pressure towards memory bandwidth. Try it with 720p resolution Doom Eternal with medium settings.

Ryzen 7 5800U's Vega 8 beaten Intel i7-1165G7's Xe-Iris Xe in Vulkan API Strange Brigade

Last edited:

coffinbirth

AMD has pushing Async Compute/TMU read-write path since it bypasses ROPS read-write bottleneck.

AMD's push for Async Compute PR was nearly silent when RDNA 2 NAVI 21 has 128 ROPS with high clock speed, hence very competitive raster preformance.
Ok?
Not sure if you intended to reply to me or not, but I was referring to the insinuation that the R600 designer(s) wouldn't have learned a few things since that misstep.

rnlval

EjLtAUs.png

rnlval

Ok?
Not sure if you intended to reply to me or not, but I was referring to the insinuation that the R600 designer(s) wouldn't have learned a few things since that misstep.
MSAA hardware is part RBE (Render Backend) that includes the ROPS units.

SantaC

It's "high enough" i would say. I wonder what they rt performance will look like. If it's like 3070 they will have better rt than any AMD card, lol.
One thing is drivers. It takes years to get good drivers to cover all games.

supernova8

Banned
Targeting low settings with 1080p resolution shifts workload pressure towards memory bandwidth. Try it with 720p resolution Doom Eternal with medium settings.

Ryzen 7 5800U's Vega 8 beaten Intel i7-1165G7's Xe-Iris Xe in Vulkan API Strange Brigade

Yeah I'm not saying they're "there" yet but it's not a bad attempt for their first "proper" integrated graphics. By "proper" I mean the UHD graphics cores in their older K chips always felt more like an afterthought than intentional.

ZywyPL

Banned

I personally won't be surprised if they'll end up being closer to NV than AMD ever was in the past decade - they'll have the full DX12U set of features + AI upscaling, whereas AMD focuses hard on raster performance and... that's pretty much it, while the market is moving into completely new different directions.

rnlval

I personally won't be surprised if they'll end up being closer to NV than AMD ever was in the past decade - they'll have the full DX12U set of features + AI upscaling, whereas AMD focuses hard on raster performance and... that's pretty much it, while the market is moving into completely new different directions.
Raster performance is still important since the BVH raytracing method only tells pixel shaders what pixels to be shaded.

Ampere GA102 still has the TFLOPS advantage for raytracing denoise pass (processed on compute shader) in addition to the existing raster workload.

On RDNA 2 GPUs, BVH transversal workload is being executed on compute shader units with additional raytracing denoise pass (processed on compute shader) AND existing raster workload.

PC's DirectStorage decompression function has the compute shader requirement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom