• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Hardware Intel DG2 Graphics Card Leakers Suggest Performance Similar to NVIDIA RTX 3070, about 10% slower than AMD RX 6700XT

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Intel's foray into the discrete GPU market is inching ever closer, and with that diminishing time to market, leaks are getting more common. Renowned leaker TUM_APISAK has shared some performance numbers for Intel's upcoming DG2 graphics card, part of the company's Xe HPG (High Performance Gaming) architecture. In the leak, he also confirmed that Intel is working on a cut-down version of their top offering (which features 4,096 shading units spread across 512 EUs) in the form of a new SKU that offers 448 EUs and 3584 shading units running at 1.8 GHz. That is the actual chip whose relative performance was shared.

According to TUM_APISAK, users should expect the Intel DG2 448 EU graphics card to offer performance that's around the NVIDIA RTX 3070 (5% lower performance for the Intel part) and AMD's RX 6700 XT (8% lower performance for the Intel part). As for the performance of the full-fat 512 EU chip, another leaker, Moore's Law is Dead, expects its performance to fall very slightly lower than the performance offered by NVIDIA's RTX 3080 and AMD's RX 6800/6800 XT. The 512-EU DG2 should also feature higher Boost clocks up to 2.2 GHz. Intel's launch of their Xe HPG graphics architecture is expected to occur before the end of the year, likely starting with the highest performance/highest margin parts, trickling down the product stack through the beginning of 2022. Intel's launch should help in alleviating the lack of available graphics cards, whilst simultaneously breaking a duopoly market.

TechPowerUp

reksveks

Jun 4, 2020
I am quite excited by Intel at the moment but think both AMD/Intel need to show some competency in showing hardware that excel at ML and Raytracing tasks.

FingerBang

Jan 17, 2020
if they can get a large quantity of them out, at good prices, this could be perfect timing for them to make major inroads.

I fully expect intel to fuck it up and price the things way to high or be missing features like ray tracing.
They should be able to produce more of them, since they own the manufacturing facilities.
I imagine they'll pull a Ryzen and push some powerful GPUs at a lower price than the competition to start building market share. This is good, there's space for a third player.

Reactions: DonJuanSchlong

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jan 18, 2007
A Political refuge from the Jewnited State
Intel needs to put all this resources into regaining some degree of relevance again in the CPU sector. Personally I don't really care for their introduction into the graphics card market unless it's going to drive prices down and then this type of market that is not happening anytime soon.

PhoenixTank

Jul 13, 2017
They should be able to produce more of them, since they own the manufacturing facilities.
I imagine they'll pull a Ryzen and push some powerful GPUs at a lower price than the competition to start building market share. This is good, there's space for a third player.
Intel's DG2 is fabbed on TSMC's N6 node, not their own 10nm superfin, as far as we know.

Some related reading on N6 production estimates this year:

Reactions: llien

Armorian

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
6700xt is not faster than 3070 (aside ac Valhalla optimized to hell for amd and not even using 100% of Nvidia gpus, far from power W used in other games).

Reactions: M1chl

synce

Sep 18, 2012
Good to see more competition, though something tells me the MSRP will be in line with scalper prices for today's cards, seeing as people have proven they're willing to buy that high.

PhoenixTank

Jul 13, 2017
Oh, there goes their advantage...

I wonder if it's just a temporary measure
Low 10nm confidence levels perhaps during design. DG2's chips will be bigger than CPUs (I think/assume?) too so could be limitations there - only recently seeing more than 4 CPU cores on 10nm.
They'll want designs fabbed in house as soon as they can without a doubt but will be weighed against how effective their own processes are vs the competition.

Reactions: LordBlodgett
Mar 17, 2020
Those benchmarks don't tell shit. Lets see how their gpus perform in real world scenarios.
I bet Intel is gonna have a hard time making games run smoothly and without graphic issues in most games.
Can't imagine them releasing those gpus without many driver-related issues.

Reactions: LordBlodgett

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
In 2021 no one who games really goes out and buys a Soundblaster card. In the 90s every gaming PC had one. Now that's been replaced with a GPU due to sound being integrated. I've been wondering how long until the same thing happened with graphics to a powerful enough level.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Hope they really have a team going in on driver support. Would love to see the market open up and be more competitive.

Orta

console wars 2020 - participant
Apr 26, 2018
All comes down to the price for me. If I can get a 3070 equivalent card at a decent price I don't care if its Intel or Adolf Hitlers name on it.

Allandor

Feb 8, 2018
Germany
I really don't believe this. Intel was never good with GPUs. The i740 was nice at that time but Intel dropped it after that and never really came back.
In the end they just "win" by cherry picking or something like that (e.g. memory bandwidth test).
It would be nice if there would be another challenger but Intel + drivers for games :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
I don't believe it either, but I'm hoping it's true. Intel needs to make some big moves to stay relevant.

Jul 29, 2013
US
Is mining still profitable, despite major crash in crypto?

A 3080 will still generate around $1,500/year at current prices. Who knows how it will go when Eth goes to proof of stake. As long as BTC is stable, I'd imagine another coin like ETC, Raven, or Firo will step in and the cycle will continue.

Reactions: llien
Nov 25, 2020
if they can get a large quantity of them out, at good prices, this could be perfect timing for them to make major inroads.

I fully expect intel to fuck it up and price the things way to high or be missing features like ray tracing.
Who gives a fuck about ray tracing when you can’t buy a card with it at a sane price. Good performance at a reasonable cost will be sufficient.

Last edited:

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
Intel still has a big advantage in retail channels. I think these blue GPUs will be mainly bundled in "intel desktop gaming PC" at Best Buy. casuals who buy these will be very happy with the 3070 like performance.