• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel fires away at Apple in a war of PC vs Mac

SantaC

PC vs. Mac​

In the real-world, a PC with an 11th Gen Intel® Core™ mobile processor offers users more and we’ve got real research and test results that prove it. Many Apple M1 claims don’t translate to real-world usage and appear questionable. When compared to a PC with the 11th Gen Intel® Core™ mobile processor, the M1 MacBook features just don’t stack up

Everything Just Works​

A PC is built for the user. They can run whatever software and games users want to run and accommodate all plug-ins you love. The possibilities are endless with a PC versus Apple’s rigidly controlled walled garden

Last edited:

Concern

excited war GIF by Bud Light

Jeeves

Huh, I didn't know Apple was doing their own processor now. Been a long time since I looked at Macs. Seems like a worse value for the user though if Boot Camp doesn't work with it.

But yeah this campaign or whatever does come off petty.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

PC vs. Mac​

In the real-world, a PC with an 11th Gen Intel® Core™ mobile processor offers users more and we’ve got real research and test results that prove it. Many Apple M1 claims don’t translate to real-world usage and appear questionable. When compared to a PC with the 11th Gen Intel® Core™ mobile processor, the M1 MacBook features just don’t stack up

Everything Just Works​

A PC is built for the user. They can run whatever software and games users want to run and accommodate all plug-ins you love. The possibilities are endless with a PC versus Apple’s rigidly controlled walled garden

ARM based macs are crazy good

Last edited:

JCK75

I agree with most of their points against Macs. My company uses them and they are just an all around pain in the butt for business (corporate).
As an IT guy JAMF has improved things drastically but I still hate nothing more than when I have to deal with Apple products.
Also it's insane you have to buy a third party protect like JAMF to even remotely make your products manageable in the business world.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
As much as Intel pisses me off, I fucking hate Apple and their mindless worshipers. MACs are fucking useless to me. I want to game and I want to be able to run whatever the fuck I want to on my PCs. Why would anyone blow money on a MAC? Fuck the and their 1000 monitor arms and their "pro" tablets. Such a pretentious & shitty company.

McCheese

I picked up an M1 Air the other month and it's fucking amazing, zero fans so zero noise, doesn't even get warm, insane battery life and even the gimped GPU (one less core on the Air) can play stuff like the recent tomb raider game at a solid 30fps which is just insane given it has no active cooling. Student discount puts it down to £799 which is also very reasonable given the speakers, screen and keyboard quality.

Intel needs to catch the fuck up as there is no way I'm picking up a PC laptop when these apple chips exist, they also need to stay competitive as there is no way the next apple-chip laptop will remain as cheap as they are if they face no competition.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Bringing back old marketing. Pathetic.
They've been at it for over a year since AMD started crushing them. They can no longer make tailored benchmarks to beat AMD, so they found someone else to lash out at. Hopefully it will be a long time until I will be forced to buy anything Intel again.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I picked up an M1 Air the other month and it's fucking amazing, zero fans so zero noise, doesn't even get warm, insane battery life and even the gimped GPU (one less core on the Air) can play stuff like the recent tomb raider game at a solid 30fps which is just insane given it has no active cooling. Student discount puts it down to £799 which is also very reasonable given the speakers, screen and keyboard quality.

Intel needs to catch the fuck up as there is no way I'm picking up a PC laptop when these apple chips exist, they also need to stay competitive as there is no way the next apple-chip laptop is still £800 unless Intel can catch them up.
i know right? i think most people are just not in the know of how fucking crazy the new M1 based apple laptops are.. i would legit not ever want to go back to fucking windows after trying the m1.
when traveling it really is something else.. 20hours of battery life xD

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The m1 is crazy good. Once they get going apple is going to be really making progress in that market.

I just wish more games were compatible

mango drank

I say this as a PC guy who's built his own machines, uses PC desktops and laptops, and is more comfortable in Windows and Linux than macOS: I really want an M1 (M2?) Mac laptop.

Having a hot angry fan-spinning laptop on my lap while I'm basically just doing some simple web browsing ... that seems hella antiquated now. If the iPad Pro can do everything crazy fast and quiet and only get minimally warm, why can't a laptop? Apple proved it can. Waiting till later in the year for the M2 laptops to release, then I'll probably get an Air or MBPro.

johntown

Banned
As an IT guy JAMF has improved things drastically but I still hate nothing more than when I have to deal with Apple products.
Also it's insane you have to buy a third party protect like JAMF to even remotely make your products manageable in the business world.
Yeah we use JAMF as well and it is helpful for sure. The problem is we are a Windows domain. Sure you can join the Macs to the domain but everything is either crippled, featureless or just does not work. Having to find documentation on issues is a pain too as it is almost non-existent.

Macs have their place for sure but not in most business or gaming.

FStubbs

Seems like the major pre-built PC companies are still shoving Intels in most of their PCs. I guess Intel will be in trouble when those contracts end and more of the pre-builts move to Ryzen.

johntown

Banned
Seems like the major pre-built PC companies are still shoving Intels in most of their PCs. I guess Intel will be in trouble when those contracts end and more of the pre-builts move to Ryzen.
I happen to be looking into pre-built this year and all the companies I have seen don't favor one over the other? I am talking about gaming PC's of course so unless you are talking about regular desktops I'm not sure where you are getting this information?

Ryzen is great no doubt about it but the i9 10900k is one the best CPU's for gaming. It may not be better for video editing and other things but for gaming it is one of the best and on par with Ryzen for gaming performance.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Apples CPU’s are destroying intel’s in every area.
amd has ripped the pc space from intel as well.
Intel should be afraid.

As much as Intel pisses me off, I fucking hate Apple and their mindless worshipers. MACs are fucking useless to me. I want to game and I want to be able to run whatever the fuck I want to on my PCs. Why would anyone blow money on a MAC? Fuck the and their 1000 monitor arms and their "pro" tablets. Such a pretentious & shitty company.
I know its crazy man, can't believe not everyone is an elite gamer master race that wants a gaming PC to fit in a quick game of CS GO between raising their family and getting the work handed in to their boss.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I agree with most of their points against Macs. My company uses them and they are just an all around pain in the butt for business (corporate).
I’m so sorry your IT department sucks ass. Macs are both simpler to work with that PC and Device Management makes it very easy to deploy and control in a corporate environment.
Not to mention the higher up the executive the less applications they need (I doubt C-Level uses anything else than mail, browser and maybe text editor), which further reduces the news for Intel.
M1 killed Intel in a way it’s not even funny, we are living through a generational shift.

pasterpl

I use workstation macbook Pro (went with latest intel model, 64gb ram etc.), I use parallels to run likes of kali Linux and Windows on it, it can get hot but it very well balanced machine, I also use 2x Windows machines (one for gaming - razer, and one for work stuff - shitty dell), I didn’t go with M1 version as I had some experience with ARM cpu (surface pro x) and lack of compatibility was a nightmare, on the other hand, I hope that (regardless of who is the manufacturer) we will get more machines that are not getting hot, with better battery life and with slimmer designs (surface pro x is a beauty)

vkbest

um the M1 replaces a I3 not an I7.. just that it does beat or match somethings is pretty outstanding.

The thing is that table, games are running under emulation x86 on ARM. On performance of CPU M1 is around a i9 on native apps. Besides that table is from Intel so, we don’t know how they are comparing those apps and games

The most software is not compiled to ARM, so the chip emulating intel instructions is losing around 30% of performance.

Besides is comparing games on windows vs crappy ports on Mac. So well, the table maybe it’s true, but you can’t compare real hardware performance when you are using emulation layers on one machine

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm not a fan of what Intel has been up to tech wise..

But do you all realize they are doing just fine? lol. desperation?

It will be interesting to see how Intel/AMD do post-pandemic. I've only had one customer make the switch to AMD, there is just too much bad blood based on AMD's history I guess. Intel's had a ton of blunders with supply constraints (pre-pandemic) and security but none of my customers seem to care.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I use Mac, Windows, and Linux all for different purposes, but Mac is my main for creative work and everyday use because I really enjoy the interface and quickness of everything. My Windows is slow as fuck in comparison despite being about the same in terms of power. Linux is also great, especially for coding, and again, not as power-hungry as Windows. If you are working in the field of software development you should still get used to Windows, because it is the most common among all three. And obviously, if you like gaming on PC, Windows is still the best option, despite Mac and Linux making up some ground over the years.

johntown

Banned
I’m so sorry your IT department sucks ass. Macs are both simpler to work with that PC and Device Management makes it very easy to deploy and control in a corporate environment.
Not to mention the higher up the executive the less applications they need (I doubt C-Level uses anything else than mail, browser and maybe text editor), which further reduces the news for Intel.
M1 killed Intel in a way it’s not even funny, we are living through a generational shift.
Sorry it is not our IT that sucks. It is Macs by their very design. Mail as you stated everyone uses is one of the WORST with Mac. Outlook for Mac is the most stripped down garbage application every created. The PC version of Outlook is far superior in every way. If you think otherwise then I am sorry but you must be mentally handicapped. Let's see what else......oh yeah because users never reboot their Macs every time they change their password the rebind does not work. I have a Macbook Pro and I hate it. The only thing I think it does better than Windows is take screenshots.

You also need adapters for everything, nothing just works. Users have to map drives with either SMB or AFP depending on what they have to do. If you do have an issue good luck finding any useful information online to help because everyone uses Windows. Windows computers in a Windows domain make much more sense, are easier to use and provide so many more options. You have to have intelligent IT to manage a Windows environment so maybe that is why your company does not have Windows?

As I said Macs may be fine for some environments maybe yours but not for ours.

I don't dispute the M1 chip is better than comparable Intel processors. Application compatibility and features are what matter to me. If I don't have any software I use that can run on an M1 then what good is it?

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Intel is right to do this; Apple is no more a partner and M1 is not the great leap forward that some want us to believe.
Oh, but it is.

You see, there's a thing in the mobile space called BATTERY LIFE, which is far more important than performance (if you want raw performance, you obviously use a desktop PC), and in that regard, the Apple M1 SoC IS a leap forward: it proves you can have an "average desktop" performance with the autonomy (battery life) of a tablet.

Sure, things won't change much on the desktop space, but on laptops...oh boy... Apple really did a number.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Sorry it is not our IT that sucks. It is Macs by their very design. Mail as you stated everyone uses is one of the WORST with Mac. Outlook for Mac is the most stripped down garbage application every created. The PC version of Outlook is far superior in every way. If you think otherwise then I am sorry but you must be mentally handicapped. Let's see what else......oh yeah because users never reboot their Macs every time they change their password the rebind does not work. I have a Macbook Pro and I hate it. The only thing I think it does better than Windows is take screenshots.

You also need adapters for everything, nothing just works. Users have to map drives with either SMB or AFP depending on what they have to do. If you do have an issue good luck finding any useful information online to help because everyone uses Windows. Windows computers in a Windows domain make much more sense, are easier to use and provide so many more options. You have to have intelligent IT to manage a Windows environment so maybe that is why your company does not have Windows?

As I said Macs may be fine for some environments maybe yours but not for ours.

I don't dispute the M1 chip is better than comparable Intel processors. Application compatibility and features are what matter to me. If I don't have any software I use that can run on an M1 then what good is it?
M1 Emulates x86 code with the efficiency of an i7 or i9 with a fraction of the power usage. Not to mention that you literally check a box in SDEs for it to work on arm so it’s not like compatibility is a problem.

Secondly, your IT department does suck because it sounds EXACTLY like you guys have no experience with a Unix environment. The capability of MacOS being that it was built upon FreeBSD foundation (which is better than Windows) let’s me interact with our servers much deeper than Windows as all I have to do is launch terminal, remote in, run commands and get the outputs I need. The ignorance around Windows being superior is a joke, it just is. It’s just what they’re used too and hate having to learn anything.

Not to mention the QoL in the software department where so many things on Windows that require a piece of software are just built in and intuitive and right at your fingertips on MacOS which increases your productivity by making task take less time overall.

nordique

People either love MacBooks or hate them

I’m in the “can’t go back to windows” camp

everything just works, battery life is better, resale value is better, fan noise is better, problems are dealt with easier, And the trackpad is bar none the best in a laptop going on over a decade

their butterfly notebooks sucked and I’m happy they’re rumoured to be getting rid of the Touch Bar gimmick

they’re not perfect but for me the m1 MacBook Air is the best value laptop and it ain’t even close

Apple is a big customer for intel to lose. Of course they will be salty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom