• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[INTEL] Introducing XeSS answer to Nvidia’s DLSS

martino

Impressive entry of a 3rd player I must say. Already showcasing more knowledge of ML than a deeply rooted industry player like AMD.

Even if this card is 3070 territory, if it’s at the right price, it’ll be a very impressive first generation and also in the right market for the most potential sales, as high ends are like what, ~2% market shares? If I was Intel I would not even consider competing against a 3090.

Can’t wait to see more information on this GPU.
this but the right price is not to be 3070 price but 150-180 cheaper....this will not happen but this would be the first decent value proposition in years

Three

What I want to know is why is this upscaling not implemented in the game but instead we have vendor dependent solutions from each manufacturer. Can somebody please explain the technical detail behind this?

Last edited:

DonF

What I want to know is why is this upscaling not implemented in the game but instead we have vendor dependent solutions from each manufacturer. Can somebody please explain the technical detail behind this?
i think it requieres hardware capabilities

PhoenixTank

Looks promising and glad they had something to show off soon after the fairly empty press release. Making it cross platform is very sensible but wasn't a given. SDK due this month IIRC.

Soo FSR will run on anything AFAIK.
Nvidia's proprietary DLSS uses part of their chips to do so.
Intel's XeSS runs better on their hardware but also runs on other hardware provided they have certain instructions.
It is easier or at least more beneficial/has a better chance of success for a vendor to do the leg work to make the tech rather than say one studio working on it and just handing out the tech and hoping it gets used. A game dev might even prefer to keep it to themselves to further their visuals/performance over competition. These vendors are also more likely to have some side venture into AI/Deep Learning and such than a single dev would.
UE I believe has a decent combined TAA & upscaler available but unaware of the details.

Last edited:
Guess they learned their lesson on feature exclusivity after Thunderbolt.

Speaking of (semi-OT), I wonder how the Thread Director in Alder Lake will work out.

Bluntman

This sounds good in theory, but only in theory at least right now.

On Intel, XeSS uses the XMX hardware block. On other vendors, it uses DP4a instructions. Right?

The only problem is: only Intel has a standard DP4a implementation for graphics APIs, the other vendors use propriety stuff.

So even if a GPU supports DP4a instructions, you as a game developer can't use it.

Of course AMD and Nvidia could take a deep breath and make a standard API implementation, but where's the business in that? Especially for Nvidia?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
For a first go this is pretty damn impressive:
enes7JIc_o.png

If XeSS gets wide adoption we could see devs using it on the Series S and Series X.
Looks like "waiting" for full RDNA2 was a good move on Microsofts part.

Sony will likely implement their own solution only time will tell if its any good though:

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
XeSS, what a name. How many virgins works for intel??

But just goes to show how fucking useless AMD Radeon division is.

Chiggs

Tug some more on Intel’s dick, even though the product’s not out? Sure, why not!

Last edited:

Zug

It's a good thing we're moving from a NATIVE 4K OR NOTHING narrative to a more intelligent way to use ressources.
On a modest 2070s I can play Cyberpunk or the lastest Metro at 60fps with almost all RT options with DLSS on my 1080p TV and it looks great.
Without these upscaling techniques, RT would have to have to wait a another good 5 years.

Now it would be nice to have more DLSS support for VR games. It's where resolution and FPS are really the most needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom