• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel to make online gaming less toxic by filtering out voice chat slurs

Alright

Banned
How is this going to work?

How do they delay what you're saying, decipher the words in to code, apply the beep, recode it, then send it as a voice message?

All of that without invading personal privacy laws of giving information to a third party without consent?

Good luck deciphering accents like Scouse, Geordie, cockney, Brummy and Yorkshire. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

reksveks

How is this going to work?

How do they delay what you're saying, decipher the words in to code, apply the beep, recode it, then send it as a voice message?

All of that without invading personal privacy laws of giving information to a third party without consent?

Good luck deciphering accents like Scouse, Geordie, cockney, Brummy and Yorkshire. 🤷‍♂️
To simplify, personal privacy laws kinda goes on the window when you agree to the terms and conditions of the game. Also given how robotic call centres are able to analyse the words you are saying, I think there is a carve out.

Arcadialane

Letting out a few slurs is normal part of being a gamer, it's just a bit of fun. How about we teach people to understand banter and not oppress gamers, instead of Fostering this sense of telling people they should be offended by everyyhing (as a way of legitimising Thier authoritarian controlling policies?)

Reactions: Fuz

Alright

Banned
To simplify, personal privacy laws kinda goes on the window when you agree to the terms and conditions of the game. Also given how robotic call centres are able to analyse the words you are saying, I think there is a carve out.
Is there an option not to use this service?

Call centres can't understand shit I say unless I speak slowly and in proper English. Even if they could, I wouldn't fancy a delay in chat times for games that require quick communications

adamosmaki

that's great Intel. Put resources and money into developing something to fight inconsequential bullshit instead of developing a better Cpu

NullZ3r0

Banned
This will be hijacked to suppress free speech just like social media has been hijacked by the Deep State to suppress political viewpoints they don't like under the guise of stopping "hate speech", whatever the fuck that means. We're already seeing YouTube trying to get rid of the dislike button because too many people are disliking Resident Biden's videos.

This is yet another attempt by Big Tech to marginalize non-woke points of view.

This is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, which means that there's an ulterior motive behind its creation. If I don't like what someone says, I can report, mute or kick them from my game and that solves that. However, with this we're allowing Intel (future Deep State proxy) to decide for us what is proper for us to hear. Soon there will just be one point of view to be heard by the public and it will be the same one-sided, leftist woke bullshit we hear in the media. "White people bad." "LBGTQWXYZ good."

Last edited:

reksveks

lol nope.
If you agree to share your data with a company that isn't classified as PII, you can't then really successfully sue that company under privacy law. Even some question marks about PII.

Go try sue a retailer for having your name after buying a product from them online.

That's why I used the wording 'To simplify'

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
lol nope.

Kinda.
It's a solid argument until lawyers get involved. But even then, is someone sues, they aren't going to recoup the costs in most cases. I'll be an expensive moral victory. In that way, the ToS is pretty binding cause no one is going to dump money down the drain fighting it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This is just a consequence of impersonal moderation at scale. Back when you had to run your own servers those people, usually squeakers would get banned by the server mod. Juvenile aged/minded people get bothered by automatic systems like this because part of the point is to be transgressive and get a rise out of other people until you get banned. Anyway it’s not like you can’t trash talk if you can come up with some actually good and funny insults.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Letting out a few slurs is normal part of being a gamer, it's just a bit of fun. How about we teach people to understand banter and not oppress gamers, instead of Fostering this sense of telling people they should be offended by everyyhing (as a way of legitimising Thier authoritarian controlling policies?)

the argument is that “just a bit of banter” gives cover to racism and sexism. by making it more costly to use that language people with prejudiced attitudes have to stick their neck out to use it. It’s just a cost benefit thing to be more inclusive in spaces where there is regular active hostility against some people. No one is going to care if you make a clever joke about the Jews or whatever on your podcast

Fuz

Banned
If you agree to share your data with a company that isn't classified as PII, you can't then really successfully sue that company under privacy law. Even some question marks about PII.

Go try sue a retailer for having your name after buying a product from them online.

That's why I used the wording 'To simplify'
EULAS can't override national legislations. They're void and null when they do.

Kinda.
It's a solid argument until lawyers get involved. But even then, is someone sues, they aren't going to recoup the costs in most cases. I'll be an expensive moral victory. In that way, the ToS is pretty binding cause no one is going to dump money down the drain fighting it.
This is also true. I'm still waiting for some powerful class action.

Or better legislat..... AHAHAHAHAHAH who am I kidding.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure my ancestors didn't have to deal with people continually screaming, "Faggot!" at them while they were playing games.
Only when they crossed the street. I am sure all of our ancestors had some sort of derogatory term yelled at them by strangers. Like I said though it is a good thing. Anonymity empowers bad people.

Who is going to buy this? Is it for the people who run the game servers? OR is it direct to customer? Either way I can't imagine uptake being very high....

Vae_Victis

Banned
Kinda.
I don't think this system will "record" people's voices any more than their PC already "records" them for the purpose of reproducing them to the user. In other words, I doubt it's set up to "store" the audio it filters. So I assume there is no legal conundrum there.

In any case, I'm quite certain that different countries have massive differences in privacy legislations of all kinds, so trying to come up with a universal answer whether something related to this topic "is legal" is not as straightforward as a "yes" or "no".

Last edited:

Arkam

thumb_themoreyou-tighten-your-morestar-slip-through-your-fingers-grip-the-53176236.png

Skifi28

You can't hear any harassment over your CPU fan spinning like crazy to cool the new 300watt monstrosities they made. Intel really delivered.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don't think this system will "record" people's voices any more than their PC already "records" them for the purpose of reproducing them to the user. In other words, I doubt it's set up to "store" the audio it filters. So I assume there is no legal conundrum there.

In any case, I'm quite certain that different countries have massive differences in privacy legislations of all kinds, so trying to come up with a universal answer whether something related to this topic "is legal" is not as straightforward as a "yes" or "no".
reminds me of a weird podcast i was listening to about the old people selling dodgy fire tv sticks, they mentioned a previous case around streaming/storing

EULAS can't override national legislations. They're void and null when they do.

This is also true. I'm still waiting for some powerful class action.

Or better legislat..... AHAHAHAHAHAH who am I kidding.
I didn't and wasn't say that they did. I argued that when a users agree to a legal T&C for a company then clearly they can't act like that they did post usage of a service.

Most countries allow companies to hold PII data on an user for specific use cases if the user has consented to it (aka what you would be doing by agreeing to their T&C). Most privacy laws have a distinction between users whom have given consent and haven't.

Reactions: Fuz

mortal

Gold Member
What a colossal waste of time lol
They're inviting some good ol' fashion trolling with this attempt to suppress certain kinds of speech, and I welcome it.

Last edited:
I guess announcing $20 billion to build 2 new 7nm factories in Arizona doesnt count for anything.
It's really, really popular to hate on Intel right now after the Meltdown/Spectrum fiasco. Will prob take some time for the hate to wash away, but it will...eventually.

reminds me of

This is part of where that "context" part comes in; if that were taken into account he wouldn't of been banned.

However, let's be honest here; a lot of people complaining about this stuff here have no cultural unfamiliarity with America or English, and they know full well they wouldn't be using it in any context like that Japanese streamer did. Their intent would be to troll or be negative, potentially malicious.

There's probably someone reading that right now and thinking of some edgelord ways to use nigero in place of one of the other gamer words that'd be under attack by software like this.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
LOL at the pic used in OP. Soyboy face with a fixed gear bike in the back. He looks like some SJW shrieking about boobies or some shit.

Did he put on a backwards baseball cap for his cosplay as a toxic gamer or u think this guy goes around thinking he is Fred Durst?
Are fixed gear bikes a SJW thing?

This is dumb, but not surprising. Hopefully it fails. SJWs need to just stay on console.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Who the fuck cares about this shit
oscXKEm.png

The fragile type.

Theres a big difference in being bullied and some 12 year old kid saying he fucked my mom through the entire match and in 7-8 DMs.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Only when they crossed the street. I am sure all of our ancestors had some sort of derogatory term yelled at them by strangers. Like I said though it is a good thing. Anonymity empowers bad people.

If that happened to your ancestors it was probably because they were the derogatory names they were being called. This wasn't normal behavior in the past. People today are just a-holes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This will be great for kids. Everything is online now and it’s hard to filter every single thing for them.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
reminds me of

Warframe has run into this as well... last year around the george floyd / blm frenzy, they announced to great fanfare a zero tolerance policy with racism, sexism, etc... problem is a lot of their mods are ehm, not very good at their job and power tripping as hell and it results in weird stuff like a guy who used the ingame name stalingulag getting perma. That guy was a big part of the russian warframe community and translated patches, interviews, dev streams to russian and explained that "being on/being sent to stalin gulag" is like a joke over there. In the past they would've just resetted his name but now, it's zero tolerance baby so they literally sent him to the ban gulag.

Winter John

Gold Member
Those sliders are a great idea. I wanted to join the Aryan Brotherhood because they have excellent life insurance policies, but the racism and xenophobia is a real turn off. Problem solved.

Top Bottom