• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Unveils 10th Gen High-End Mobility CPUs With 8 Cores, 16 Threads – Breaking The 5 GHz Barrier on Gaming Notebooks

Bullet Club

Intel Unveils 10th Gen High-End Mobility CPUs With 8 Cores, 16 Threads – Breaking The 5 GHz Barrier on Gaming Notebooks

1Mmod85.png

Intel has just announced at CES 2020 that they will be launching their latest 10th Gen Core CPUs as part of the Comet Lake-H family. The new processors will be aimed at high-performance NUCs and gaming notebooks which are expected to ship in the coming months.

Intel Unveils Their Most Powerful Mobility CPU Lineup To Date - 10th Gen With 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 5 GHz+ Clock Speeds

The Intel Comet Lake-H family would be replacing the 9th Gen CFLR-H lineup which was based on the Coffee Lake Refresh family of 14nm processors. Just like its predecessors, the Comet Lake-H family would make use of a refined 14nm process node and all of the architectural improvements that have been carried over since Skylake.

BPLk8kC.png

Intel isn't giving us a release date at this point and neither the exact specifications or the SKUs list but they do mention some key features of the 10th Gen Comet Lake-H -series lineup. For starters, the family would be made up of Core i5, Core i7, and Core i9 processors. The processors would scale up to 8 cores and 16 threads. The 10th Gen Core i5 CPUs would feature 4 cores & 8 threads, the Core i7 CPUs would feature 6 cores & 12 threads while the Core i7 CPUs would feature 8 cores & 16 threads. This would be similar to Intel's current 9th Gen lineup which features a very similar configuration across its various SKUs.

In terms of clock speeds, Intel has stated that the 10th Generation Core i7 CPUs would feature up to 5.0+ GHz and you can expect even higher clock speeds on the Core i9 model. Of course, actual clocks would entirely depend on the cooling and thermal design of the gaming notebooks in which these processors will end up. Intel would also feature their Thermal Velocity Boost technology on the higher-end SKUs, offering even higher boost spikes with unconstrained cooling performance.

9mx4T3M.png

As for other mobility-related announcements, Intel also highlighted the performance metrics of their existing 10th Gen Comet Lake-U and Ice Lake-U processors against AMD's existing 3rd Gen Ryzen mobility processors. Applications such as XPRT, RUGS, Premier Pro, PC Mark 10 and 3DMark were used to evaluate general system performance while a range of games was used for gaming-specific tests that include F1 2019, CSGO, World of Tanks enCore, Halo: MCC, Rainbow Six: Siege & Total War: Three Kingdoms.

Intel 10th Gen vs AMD Ryzen 3000 Performance Metrics:

VZ3v3Ma.png

kQGwqYB.png

b73krtH.png

yWZfpn9.png

In comparison between the AMD Ryzen 7 3700U and the Core i7-10710U, the Intel chip was up to 3.00x faster while the Core i7-1065G7 was up to 5.71x faster. In gaming, the Ice Lake chip was up to 63% faster but the Vega GPU managed to come close or even outperform, even if by a slight margin, the newer Ice Lake Gen 11 GPU. It's also worth noting that the AMD chip being compared is a quad core with 8 threads while the Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake-U CPU offers a total of 6 cores and 12 threads. Intel also uses their 4 core, 8 thread Ice Lake-U in comparison with the AMD Ryzen chip which is much more fair case for both chips. The point being that Intel is showcasing advantages of both Ice Lake-U and Comet Lake-U in certain workloads.

AMD is soon going to announce their new Ryzen 4000 series mobility chips with 8 cores and 16 threads based on the Zen 2 architecture at CES 2020 so that is also something to keep in mind for these comparisons. Finally, Intel refers to their 10th Gen CPU battery times which is shown to offer more life on a single charge compared to AMD's Ryzen based notebooks. It is also good to see Intel being more transparent in their benchmarks, showcasing the exact system configurations used & settings in which each performance metric was measured.

Intel 10th Gen vs AMD Ryzen 3000 System Configurations:

56XrHYs.png

Iv5ezhY.png

bGAJiFf.png

84mMsQU.png

LIKsXVA.png

Lastly, Intel also talked about their Tiger Lake CPUs and its new AI engine. They plan to give a sneak peek on it but we aren't really sure if that would be an AI-specific demo or a general performance demo.

I2fOxHR.png

Intel's CES 2020 keynote is in a few hours so stay tuned as we will have a Livestream post for it up soon.

Source: WCCFTech

PhoenixTank

A lot of unclear information here, largely from naming schemes on both sides. Trying to clear it up below:

So 10th gen U CPUs are on 10nm and still stuck at 4 cores max. They're getting compared again Zen+ (Not Zen 2 7nm) Ryzen 3000 parts in the battery life tests.
10th gen H CPUs are on 14nm and have received frequency bumps. They're going to have worse battery life than the U series. Seems like a counter to make Zen 2 on laptops (Ryzen 4000) less attractive while they can't scale up 10nm. Sensible move though confusing for a consumer.

IMHO, the frequency bump on the H series is going to be a bit redundant unless paired with a high refresh screen on the laptop. Not my gaming device of choice but they are out there.

It's breaking that 5 GHz barrier for like 5 seconds before it throttles back due to power and cooling constraints.

And they are comparing to previous gen 12nm Ryzen while AMD is bringing 7nm parts to laptops this year. They are going to be murdered like they were in HEDT last year.

PhoenixTank

It's breaking that 5 GHz barrier for like 5 seconds before it throttles back due to power and cooling constraints.

And they are comparing to previous gen 12nm Ryzen while AMD is bringing 7nm parts to laptops this year. They are going to be murdered like they were in HEDT last year.
Pure speculation here: I honestly don't think it will be as much of a bloodbath. the Intel 10nm parts will do well on perf/w because of the process and improved IPC while these 14nm parts compete on outright performance but potentially worse efficiency, leaving Ryzen 4000 (Zen 2) as a good all-rounder.

I'm more interested to see how the iGPU comparisons line up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People still game on laptops?

Why not? I just picked up a Razer 15.6 2019 model with an i7 9750h 6-core processor, 16GB RAM, and an RTX 2060 and this thing is a beast for gaming. At 1080p at least, it's basically just as good as the desktop PC I built in 2016 (i7 6700k and GTX 1080) at 1440p.

base

Banned
I gave up after 1060. Now even GeForce 1650 in a laptop is minimum 900-1000 euro. And you get it with a poor panel. I've just made a custom PC myself with r2600x and radeon 5700 which cost me 800 euro. Pc is still much more affordsble.

DESTROYA

It’s one of the biggest growth markets the last couple of years!:messenger_neutral:
Thats where I do all my PC gaming. Don’t need a desktop that is stationary and can’t be moved when you need mobility .Cmon now we are going to look down on gaming with a laptop when the experience and performance can be just as good as desktops for those of us that don’t want to be cheap bastards. Yes I realize you get a better bang for the buck on desktops with better performance but gaming laptops are a huge market that everyone is jumping on.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Zen2 has higher IPC, cough.

Intel 14nm performs better than Zen2 when clocked the same in gaming, and Intel is ~1 GHz faster in mobile.

And what is the point of comparing U series chip with H series chip? Confusing people with FUD?

If you took the time to look at the chart in the other thread you'd see that Zen2 mobile boosts only to 4.2 on 45W, which is an AMD H-series mobile CPU. Intel's H mobile CPU is almost 1 GHz faster. Sorry you were confused, again.

Last edited:

base

Banned
It’s one of the biggest growth markets the last couple of years!:messenger_neutral:
Thats where I do all my PC gaming. Don’t need a desktop that is stationary and can’t be moved when you need mobility .Cmon now we are going to look down on gaming with a laptop when the experience and performance can be just as good as desktops for those of us that don’t want to be cheap bastards. Yes I realize you get a better bang for the buck on desktops with better performance but gaming laptops are a huge market that everyone is jumping on.
Mobility for gaming laptop? You game on battery or take ur laptop with u to McDonalds?

Bruh. Nvidia quietly revolutionized laptop gaming when they released Pascal (GTX 1000 series) and it was possible to use the exact same GPU chips in laptops and desktops. The laptop will still cost way more, you pay for the mobility, but it will be every bit as powerful as the desktop.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Bruh. Nvidia quietly revolutionized laptop gaming when they released Pascal (GTX 1000 series) and it was possible to use the exact same GPU chips in laptops and desktops. The laptop will still cost way more, you pay for the mobility, but it will be every bit as powerful as the desktop.
Meanwhile, throttling...

Max_Po

Banned

Gotta agree, Nvidia's 10 Series matched the desktop and was a huge step from 9xxxx Series.

DESTROYA

Mobility for gaming laptop? You game on battery or take ur laptop with u to McDonalds?
Are U high? U do realize people use laptops for home and at work right, there are these things you can find in most walls were U can plug in a laptop and power it.....amazing right!
Meanwhile, throttling...
U R so full of it, yes desktops throttle too without proper cooling just like some laptops.

LordOfChaos

Was gonna say, I thought they "broke" 5GHz at least one or two examples ago on laptops already, I guess the difference here is it's on an i7 this time, with i9 going "higher"

14nm, skylake refresh though (for H), expected but so painful that a post Skylake, 10nm architecture isn't taking this spot yet.

yWZfpn9.png

If AMDs claims about 2x the perf/watt today are true this looks like it could be very narrowed if not bridged, though processor perf/watt is a different thing than total platform power and Intel is good at things like low power video accelerators.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Are U high? U do realize people use laptops for home and at work right, there are these things you can find in most walls were U can plug in a laptop and power it.....amazing right!

U R so full of it, yes desktops throttle too without proper cooling just like some laptops.
Most people take their laptops to the living room or kitchen but gaming wouldn't be so comfortable dkn't you think? Thats why they use them mainly from work.

No, most laptops have thtottle issues. I left pc around 2007. I'm back after 13 years because I will not pay 1500 euro for a laptop with GeForce 1660ti which will lower its clocks after a while. For this price u get a pc desktop with a monitor.

I didn't believe this but yeah, they do.
I have a few friends that are living abroad and have to constantly be on the move because the nature of their job, and all have solid gaming laptops.
It isn't practical for them to be carrying a large desktop metal box around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Most people take their laptops to the living room or kitchen but gaming wouldn't be so comfortable dkn't you think? Thats why they use them mainly from work.

No, most laptops have thtottle issues. I left pc around 2007. I'm back after 13 years because I will not pay 1500 euro for a laptop with GeForce 1660ti which will lower its clocks after a while. For this price u get a pc desktop with a monitor.

Yes, and you also can't easily bring a desktop PC with you anywhere. Personally, I have both, but I travel quite a bit and a laptop that can play games well is a nice thing to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

DESTROYA

Yeah some do but not all , like anything else you do a bit of research and you can find some good stuff that doesn’t. I paid hundreds less for a laptop with RTX 2070 so like I said if you look around you can get do much better than $1500 laptop with 1660ti.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Yeah some do but not all , like anything else you do a bit of research and you can find some good stuff that doesn’t. I paid hundreds less for a laptop with RTX 2070 so like I said if you look around you can get do much better than $1500 laptop with 1660ti.
Europe is much more expensive. Believe me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Horsepower isn't what keeps me from gaming on laptops, it is everything else. For the people who do though perhaps these procs mean even fewer compromises.

Last edited:
Yes, and you also can't easily bring a desktop PC with you anywhere. Personally, I have both, but I travel quite a bit and a laptop that can play games well is a nice thing to have.
Yep. I have a fire breathing gaming PC on my living room, but also a nice budget gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 Ti for when I'm traveling home and get an itch to casually play a game or two. It's nice to have options.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ibwas waiting with my 2500k for too long and went with 3700x this year. Intel was too slow to release new stuff

Leonidas

Ibwas waiting with my 2500k for too long and went with 3700x this year. Intel was too slow to release new stuff

Intel has only released 7 series of increasingly faster gaming CPUs since the classic 2000 series.

Last edited:

llien

As an indicator of how bad things are at Intel:

Intel Compares AMD Laptop with RTX 2060 to Intel Laptop with RTX 2080, Claims Intel CPUs Are Better For Gaming.

That's "real world performance" motherfucker!

Intel 14nm performs better
More stable drivers I presume.

When will AMD finally fi the bloody drivers, for fucks sake, Lisa?!?!?
Can't even keep their chart in one bloody screen, stupid fucks:

6F1JpmD.jpg

Intel 14nm performs better than Zen2 when clocked the same in gaming, and Intel is ~1 GHz faster in mobile.
False and, cough, false.
And I mean actual mobile, with up to 25W TDP (45W chips are frankly desktop area)

And to add insult to injury, those 4.2Ghz 8 core chips by AMD are 15W TDP max.
It's bloodbath situation for Intel, strongarming/bribing OEMs and marketing FUD is their only hope.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's Over...….

The AMD Ryzen 4000 APU family is aimed first at the mobility platforms which include gaming and consumer-aimed mainstream notebooks. Compared to the previous generation, Ryzen 3000 APUs, the new lineup is outfitted with the latest Zen 2 cores, offering greater IPC performance and higher clock speeds. The new AMD 7nm Zen 2 core architecture also adds higher efficiency, allowing AMD to further boost the total number of cores and threads across their entire 3rd Gen Ryzen 4000 mobility lineup.

The 7nm APU family will have a lot of new features to talk about aside from the Zen 2 cores, it will be up to 2 times more efficient than the current 12nm Zen+ parts, support LPDDR4x memory and would feature a more modern Vega GPU with an enhanced feature set that is close to the Radeon VII than the Radeon RX Vega 64.

As such, the AMD Ryzen 4000 processors are going to tackle Intel's entire 10th Gen portfolio which includes 14nm Comet Lake-U, 10nm Ice Lake-U, and even the existing 9th Gen Coffee Lake-Refresh parts. Like Intel, AMD is offering a higher tier of mobility processors, branded as the Ryzen 9 family which would include the Ryzen 9 4900H as the flagship part.

The lineup is split into two segments, the low-power Ryzen 4000 U-series and the performance tier Ryzen 4000 H/HS-series. The Ryzen 9 4900H is the flagship SKU, offering 8 cores and 16 threads. It is the first AMD chip to offer such extreme core counts on a mobility platform. The Ryzen 7 4800H also offers 8 cores and 16 threads with the difference between both processors being their clocks.

Intel's current lineup is made up of the Core i9-9980HK (8 Core, 16 thread), Core i7-9850H (6 core / 12 thread) and the Core i7-9750H (6 core / 12 thread). These chips offer clock speeds of up to 5.00 GHz (Max single-core boost frequency). AMD in comparison is offering speeds of up to 4.20 GHz on their Ryzen 7 4800H processor while offering much higher performance per watt. IPC on the AMD Ryzen 4000 processors also plays a major role with a 15% boost over the Zen+ cores, the new lineup features an outstanding performance at the given price points, making for faster & much more affordable laptops.

Comparing the performance versus a desktop-grade Intel Core i7-9700K 8 core and 8 thread chip, the Ryzen 7 4800H with 8 cores and 16 threads is faster in several workloads including Cinebench and 3DMark which just goes off to show the impressive computing capabilities of a 45W mobility chip that AMD has churned up.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4000-renoir-mobility-cpus-official-up-to-8-cores-16-threads-45w/

Top Bottom