• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel's 12th Gen 12900K i9 beat AMDs Ryzen 9 5950X. At 2.3x the power.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think someone needs to make a poll. And are you saying Shadowplay and the like is considered 'streaming'? I don't. PS4/5 and XB record gameplay at all times but I wouldn't call that streaming.

my point is consoles just like ps4/ps5 have a one hit button for sharing and streaming. Same with nvidia/Radeon.

my main point is hardly anyone is spending 3-4k which is what it currently costs to “just” okay video games and not bake use of all those cores/threads.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
my main point is hardly anyone is spending 3-4k which is what it currently costs to “just” okay video games and not bake use of all those cores/threads.
I don’t believe this. A huge chunk of the people building high end custom gaming systems are doing so exclusively or almost exclusively for gaming.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don’t believe this. A huge chunk of the people building high end custom gaming systems are doing so exclusively or almost exclusively for gaming.

define huge? When the costs for average machine from scratch is 2000$ because of gpu prices being insane, how many people will drop that and literally use it just for gaming?

Gaming like I said is such a small market when it comes to silicon.

winjer

Gold Member
Clock for Clock, Golden Cove is just 1% faster than Zen 3?

Cinebench basically just hits the execution units. Although that test is interesting, it must be considered within it's limitations.
It barely stresses the memory subsystem and the front-end of the CPU.
Current CPUs depend very much on how they organize and feed the execution units.
Because of that, caches, memory bandwidth and latency, and the entire front-end of the CPU are very important for performance.
Alder Lake is now a 6 wide execution pipeline. But that makes it more difficult to give them all data to process. A good OoO, caches and SMT can really help.

marquimvfs

From what I just saw, it seems that Intel finally manage to recoup the leadership status, but it isn't by a great margin. When you consider the entire platform cost, AMD still have an advantage.

Kacho

Gold Member
define huge? When the costs for average machine from scratch is 2000$ because of gpu prices being insane, how many people will drop that and literally use it just for gaming?

This doesn’t make any sense. Enthusiasts are paying high prices to get the best performance possible for gaming. That’s always been the case.

Anandtech's review is quite interesting:

AMD racks up a ton of gaming wins:

ADL is undeniably the king for gaming. Although in most cases the difference is within 10-15%, it's still a win.

But this:

122765.png

(they misspelled 5950X there) but take a look, that's 90%+ power. Fucking ridiculous.

Kenpachii

Care to expand? I thought they had a nice blend of benches across a variety of resolutions, but I'm not the expert, either.

Tons of useless benchmarks from GPU bound to games that simple have engine limitations.

If you want to test a CPU u need to do it in demanding area's of multi-threaded games or more single threaded focused and see how it performs.
But from the frame-rate i see in there tested games its clear they don't even test in game area's that are demanding on the CPU to start with.

I also miss rt benchmarks which take a huge hit on the CPU front which currently my 9900k is heavily limiting my 3080 with so there is also that.

But i can't blame them tho, most of those benchers jsut scramble a bunch of charts together and call it a day.

Alder lake is just the beginning of the intel comeback. I think of it like gen 1 ryzen. I am going long on intel stock from now.

The earnings potential between their cpu comeback and gpu server sales are huge… the fact that they will beat amd to the market with a dlss alternative shows they are gunning for nvidia’s pie.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

What does this even mean? They are buying the expensive GPU and higher spec items for gaming. The PC can do a lot of other things that they could do on a cheaper rig. I play 1 game a month on my main PC and use it mainly for browsing the web and watching shit. I bought expensive, high margin parts to make the gaming top notch. If I just wanted to browse the web and watch shit I could have done an iGPU mini ITX build with less ram and a lower end chipset. I could have shaved 1500-2k off the build so yes I did pay 1500-2k just for gaming.

Top Bottom