Intercept Investigation Leads to Record Fines Over Foreign Campaign Contributions

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Intercept Investigation Leads to Record Fines Over Foreign Campaign Contributions

The Federal Election Commission has unveiled one of the most significant enforcement actions in its history, citing a 2016 investigative series by The Intercept.

The series, “Foreign Influence,” detailed how Right to Rise USA, a Super PAC supporting the 2016 presidential candidacy of Jeb Bush, received $1.3 million in campaign donations from American Pacific International Capital, a California corporation controlled by two Chinese citizens.

The FEC fined APIC $550,000 and Right to Rise USA $390,000. The total of $940,000 is the third-largest financial penalty the FEC has ever issued.

It is illegal for foreign nationals to contribute money in connection with U.S. elections. However, APIC and Right to Rise USA attempted to use an odd loophole created by the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision to funnel overseas cash into American politics.

The details of the enforcement action were released today in a letter to the Campaign Legal Center, a campaign finance watchdog that filed a complaint based on The Intercept’s investigation.

“This case was so egregious that, once it was revealed, even the dysfunctional FEC was forced to act,” said Robert Weissman, president of consumer rights group Public Citizen, in a statement to The Intercept.

The letter revealing the fine includes conciliation agreements that lay out the facts of the case, which correspond to The Intercept’s original reporting.

Barack Obama warned during his 2010 State of the Union address that the Citizens United ruling would “open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections.” APIC was attempting to do exactly this.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Woah, I remember this being brought up and forgotten rather quickly. Glad that the FEC performed an investigation and fined the groups responsible.

Shady stuff...
Yes this citizen united stuff sounds super sketchy.

I will give credit to Obama for being against it. Just open a company in the US and any foreigner can donate ???? seems like a giant loophole to be abused.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If this is a fine of about 1 Mill for 1.3 mill in violations, how is Trump paying of Stormy for 130K seen as the crime of the century.

We have here 2 chinese nationals giving Jeb 1.3 Mill (Collusion anyone?) and no jail time, but Trump for using his own money to pay off something that happend a decade ago is enough to impeach the president and send him to jail?

Apr 9, 2009
If this is a fine of about 1 Mill for 1.3 mill in violations, how is Trump paying of Stormy for 130K seen as the crime of the century.

We have here 2 chinese nationals giving Jeb 1.3 Mill (Collusion anyone?) and no jail time, but Trump for using his own money to pay off something that happend a decade ago is enough to impeach the president and send him to jail?
The type of people who want Trump impeached (not me btw) would have no problem with Jeb going to jail too tho lol or indeed all the Bushes.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The type of people who want Trump impeached (not me btw) would have no problem with Jeb going to jail too tho lol or indeed all the Bushes.
I agree, and both Bushes dragged the US into wars in Iraq.

But I think it goes to show that campaign finance violations are usually meet with fines. Even AOC will probably not get jail time for her 1 Million dollar scheme.