• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting benchmark answering "being smart about spending money" question, i9 9900k+2080 vs Ryzen 3600+2080Ti

llien

Results are hardly surprising, go for faster GPU:

hX3Tt9S.jpg

Sentenza

"Hey guys, here's a bunch of pics without any source or context".
Thread of the year.

Also, here's a typical internet trend I noticed.
Initial claim: "Look at these benchmarks that makes AMD look so good, you are a fool easily parted from his money if you ever go Intel/Nvidia".
Real world application most of the times: "This game/emulator runs like shit if you use AMD hardware. REEEEEHH! These devs can't code, poor optimization, travesty, fraud, corruption, Intel/Nvidia bribe!"

Last edited:
Thread of the year.

Initial claim: "Look at these benchmarks that makes AMD look so good, you are a fool easily parted from his money if you ever go Intel/Nvidia".
Real world application most of the times: "This game/emulator runs like shit if you use AMD hardware. REEEEEHH! These devs can't code, poor optimization, travesty, fraud, corruption, Intel/Nvidia bribe!"
Typical thread about AMD around here.

Especially so if it's by the usual suspects.

Your putting a 2080 up against a 2080TI to do what.... Make AMD look favorable? Do an apples to apples comparison and let us know what the results are. If you have the money for a 2080TI than you have the money for Intel.

TacosNSalsa

I agree that the bulk of your budget should go to GPU but holy bottle neck Batman! I've seen the benchmarks for the R5 and it's great with a mid tier card like a 2060 maybe even 2070 but here it feels like you would just be doing the 2080 Ti yourself a disservice and would regret it later down the line. At least go with a faster Ryzen or something , unless this is the fastest you can get for gaming

Last edited:
Thread of the year.

Your using quotes around comments that are not stated. In essence your putting words in people's mouths and that is wrong.

vkbest

Your putting a 2080 up against a 2080TI to do what.... Make AMD look favorable? Do an apples to apples comparison and let us know what the results are. If you have the money for a 2080TI than you have the money for Intel.

If you have money for a Mercedes you have money for Ferrari, if you have money for a PS4 you have money for Pro. If you have money for a Xiaomi you have money for iPhone

do you understand you are wrong?

Last edited:

llien

Too many guys here reading between the lines what isn't there.
The thread has way too many NV GPUs to be a "pro AMD" thread, uh, doh, obviously?

Note how 2080Ti vs 2080 is UNFAVORABLE, we are in the part of the market, where increase in performance costs hefty premium.
It would be much more drastic with mid/low range.

What this thing demonstrates, however, is even when you are on highest and least cost effective GPU area, it is still more advisable to invest into GPU than CPU.

Or get both, 9900K and 2080 Ti, and get even better FPS.
What if you're broke when you spend exactly 1295$?

It remains that the R5 3600 is a dollar/performance monster!

It's also notable what depending on what you play, an i5 could also do the trick.
What this thing demonstrates, however, is even when you are on highest and least cost effective GPU area, it is still more advisable to invest into GPU than CPU.
Yup, as it has always been the case, even before 3D. Get as much of a GPU as you can, so long as you have a decent CPU (mid range+).

Still, I think it's more likely you will match the r5 3600 with a 2070 or lower card.

CrisPy2019

Or get both, 9900K and 2080 Ti, and get even better FPS.
Or get the good value and ignore the miniscule difference that the Intel CPU gives you and which you don't need anyway and save that money for the next upgrade instead of wasting it to feel special.
Plus do something good for the community and don't kiss Intel's ass and make the market more competitive by choosing the better value.

RealGassy

Banned
Or get the good value and ignore the miniscule difference that the Intel CPU gives you

It's only so because GPU is the bottleneck.
There's a very particular use-case for 9700k and 9900k, where that difference is not that miniscule.
Which is high fps gaming.

Buying more than r5 3600 for single player gaming is a waste of money.
Hell, I wouldn't even go higher than 5700XT or 2070 super (because it's a waste of money) for GPU either.

Last edited:

MacReady13

It's only so because GPU is the bottleneck.
There's a very particular use-case for 9700k and 9900k, where that difference is not that miniscule.
Which is high fps gaming.

Buying more than r5 3600 for single player gaming is a waste of money.
Hell, I wouldn't even go higher than 5700XT or 2070 super (because it's a waste of money) for GPU either.

Why is going higher than a 2070 super a waste of money in your opinion? Genuine question as I am looking to upgrade but I play on a 4k monitor and want as good as I can get... I was looking at either a 2070 super or 2080 super (I'll upgrade to the 3000 series once they arrive next year).

manfestival

Why is going higher than a 2070 super a waste of money in your opinion? Genuine question as I am looking to upgrade but I play on a 4k monitor and want as good as I can get... I was looking at either a 2070 super or 2080 super (I'll upgrade to the 3000 series once they arrive next year).
He is obviously inferring value proposition. Which he is very much correct. However, if the best value is your goal then there is no reason to short yourself aside from having the funds or personal justification.
2070s , 2080, 2080s, and 1080ti are all basically the same with some tweaks. With that being said, you are probably better off going for the 2070s if you do plan on pickingup with 3000 series next year.

RealGassy

Banned
Well, if you do game on native 4k, you'll need all the juice you can get.

Which is why I strongly recommend people to stick to 1080p (or 1440p at most).

GymWolf

for what i understand about latest years games on pc is that the majority of them are gpu-bound, with some sparse game that are cpu hoggs like ac odissey, so i'm not surprised that a better gpu is still the best way to spend money.

If you have money for a Mercedes you have money for Ferrari, if you have money for a PS4 you have money for Pro. If you have money for a Xiaomi you have money for iPhone

do you understand you are wrong?

Gaming is largely measured by GPU performance so the fact that you are defending a comparison of a 2080 to 2080ti leads me to believe you have no clue what you are talking about.

Last edited:
It is true that you'll generally get more performance by investing more into your GPU.

But if you're about to buy a CPU you'd be crazy to get anything less than 8 cores and 16 threads. Today it's fine, but next gen is less than a year away and both next gen consoles will have 8 cores / 16 threads. Get a 3700X instead of the 3600.

bilderberg

lifespan of your cpu will be a lot longer though. And upgrading the cpu generally means rebuilding the whole pc again, aside from psu.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why would you get a great dinner and then decide to drink wine out of a cardboard box?

Top Bottom