• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting HDR Monitor: Samsung CHG70

Dynomutt

Hey folks I know many might be interested in a HDR monitor. I came upon this on the PS4 Pro Reddit and decided to do some research. This monitor is 1440P and has HDR but it also has some interesting properties that may benefit console owner looking for a dual duty monitor. HDR monitors are still young but this appears to be a solid performer.

Here are the specs:

Comes in 27 and 32 inch sizes.

2560 x 1440 (2K), 1MS (GTG), 144Hz Refresh Rate
HDR support for mind-blowing detail and contrast
1800R Curvature and 178/178 Viewing Angles
FreeSync 2 & Flicker Free Eye Saver Mode
DisplayPort / HDMI x 2
Tilt / Swivel / Pivot / Height Adjustable

The monitor appears to hit many of the desired bullet points for PC gamers. The interesting thing about this monitor specifically is that it accepts a 4K signal from 4K capable consoles (PS4 Pro). In my experience with many 1440P monitors that signal comes in as 1080P. If I understand correctly 1440p is not a good value to scale to from 1080p. However this monitor works in reverse. Please see the image below I discovered on Reddit:

8ah7pxpfpuhz.jpg

Per the Reddit post:

Update I can select from all resolutions and they work:
720p 1080i 1080p 2160p rgb 2160p yuv 420

I would like to think the image would look pretty good when downsampling the 4K signal especially in person (The photos area bit grainy due to not being screenshots).

Here are some examples:
HDR On
HDR Off

Here is the link to a fairly thorough review: Samsung CHG 70 (31.5" Inch) Review + Measuring Data

Reddit Link

To be fair you could probably get a 4K TV with HDR for the same price but I know many who prefer monitors and like gaming at their desk. No monitor is perfect and there will always be some caveats but this monitor appears to be a good performer and I figured I'd share. Take care.

**I am curious how this will work with the Xbox One X. Especially since per Mike Ybarra in regard to 1440P resolution.

It can. We have not enabled for launch. Just priorities. If people want it they should vote it up at feedback site.
- Tweet

Dynomutt

But does it have a native 10 bit panel or is it 8 bit + FRC?

Most likely the latter. Did a bit more research and discovered some more info:

Only 2000:1 contrast, need to use their 8 zone (lol) edge dimming gimmick to match 3000:1 advertised
HDR is hopeless
Text quality is awful
Inconsistent pixel response compensation from top to bottom of screen.

Many of these may be deal breakers. So as stated previously a TV may be a better value overall for most.

I have seen this monitor, and it has been tested pretty extensively. The HDR representation on it is very poor. There's also a lot of reports of Inverse Ghosting issues. For real HDR you're going to need local dimming. Seems like a solid monitor, but it has some issues, and I really don't think I could recommend it over some cheaper 144hz VA panel options out there.

Top Bottom