• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Warning!
I've heard reports from four individuals that the method of using gift cards to purchase on US marketplace from abroad now gives the dreaded PBR9002 error code rendering the money on the account useless. I would advise you use your local marketplace.

Look at the latest posts in this thread to stay up to date.

OLD POST FOR POSTERITY said:
XBOX ONE ONLY
Microsoft seems to have decided completely against both cross-regional PayPal and credit card use. Now the only way to buy stuff is with Microsoft Xbox Gift Cards. These are sold in many places but the best way is to go to Amazon.com and buy them there. Below is a direct link to that page.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4CEHNK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You need a couple of things to buy from the US Store. Create a vPost account and use that address when adding your credit card to Amazon.com and when adding a billing address on your Xbox. Using that would make sure that the address you use is actually linked to you, even though all the codes will be sent by email (remember to buy "online game code" and not "card"). Remember that you must choose the vPost address as your Amazon.com billing address or you won't be able to buy the codes.

Using the address from vPost lets you buy from the US Store. Since it is an Oregon address you will not have any added sales tax.

With these things in hand, follow these instructions:
  1. On your Xbox One go to Settings>System>Language & Location and change your Location to United States and press reboot.
  2. Go to Settings>Payment & Billing>Change/Add billing address
  3. Enter your name and the address provided by vPost
  4. Redeem your codes from Amazon
  5. Buy stuff
  6. (Optional) Change back region to whatever it was before, don't worry, you can change as often as you want and your billing info is saved for the next time you want to switch to the US Store and buy something.

Just as a small note that applies for at least my bank: Don't forget to enable international/foreign internet purchases on your card.

Not that it needs to be stated but I take no responsibility for anything that may go wrong.

DodgerSan

If I buy US digital this way, can I still buy UK retail and use DLC for both? Or does everything have to be under one region?

I'm confused. Won't your bank block the transaction due to the billing address being wrong? (the standard security here is house number+postcode, ZIP cdoe won't match)

Or does MS not bother to check this themselves which seems irresponsible from a merchant as it opens them up for lots of charge backs.

abracadaver

I'm confused. Won't your bank block the transaction due to the billing address being wrong? (the standard security here is house number+postcode, ZIP cdoe won't match)

Or does MS not bother to check this themselves which seems irresponsible from a merchant as it opens them up for lots of charge backs.

It worked for me. You need name, credit card number and the security number. I put in my real adress but there was an error with the zip code so I googled one and then it worked. They already charged my credit card.
I bought from the austrian store though not from the US but I doubt it makes a difference.

Prine

Banned
Omg thanks!! Will this only work on Xbox One only ? Or can i do this via the online store?

Edit: got the answer! Assasins Creed here i come!

ravenlord

Banned
I've seen a lot of confusion and convoluted ways to buy from the Xbox One Game Store and I want to get this info to a bigger audience than those who happen to read a specific comment on page one hundred whatever in the OT.

How to buy!

1. Create Borderlinx account
  2. Change region to US or UK in the seettings area of the dashboard
  3. Add your regular debit/credit card from any region but use the Borderlinx address
  4. Buy!!

You need a US/UK billing address. Sign up for a free Borderlinx account at Borderlinx.com. They provide you with valid addresses in the United States and the United Kingdom. You can use this for other purposes as well, you only pay for the resending to your real address if you choose to.

Now you can add your own debit/credit card but instead of using your real address you use the one provided from Borderlinx.

Done.

No need for buying region specific Points/Currency cards, no need for US prepaid cards, no need for anything except a UK/US address and your current debit/credit card. You don't even need Borderlinx I just found it easy since it gives you an actual valid address.

What about customs ? They do not guarantee it

Seanbob11

Can I change my region back to UK when I'm done and still have the games I bought from US store? Or do I have to change every time I want to play US store games?

abracadaver

Just a thought. If you use a borderlinx address it wont match with your credit card details either. So why not just put in a fake address ?

Can I change my region back to UK when I'm done and still have the games I bought from US store? Or do I have to change every time I want to play US store games?

You can change back and play the games

If I buy US digital this way, can I still buy UK retail and use DLC for both? Or does everything have to be under one region?

It should all be fine. If you want to be on the safe side use the same region when dealing with a game.

What about customs ? They do not guarantee it
What are you talking about? The Borderlinx thing is just so you don't have to make up an address yourself.

Just a thought. If you use a borderlinx address it wont match with your credit card details either. So why not just put in a fake address ?

It says in the OP. "You don't even need Borderlinx I just found it easy since it gives you an actual valid address."

My bank in Sweden has not complained about me buying this way from Amazon before. It actually works the same way there when buying digital. If you buy physical items they're sent to Borderlinx who you'll have to pay to resend it to you.

LNBL

Great guide, though buying US pre-paid points on the internet is fairly easy to be done in 1 minute.

Are you able to swap back and forth between regions though? I thought there was a limit how many times you could do that?

Also, with games bought on US store played on UK region, can you still play multiplayer and get achievements etc?

Are you able to swap back and forth between regions though? I thought there was a limit how many times you could do that?

Also, with games bought on US store played on UK region, can you still play multiplayer and get achievements etc?

You just change the setting in the dashboard. No hassle at all.

tried to purchase lego but it says "use a different way to pay". do i have to add my UK card to the borderlinx account or anything?

No. I have no idea why you are getting that error. I actually just bought a random Forza DLC car from the US marketplace set up in the exact way described in the OP. Could you please say exactly when and where you're getting that message?

dandoolan

This seems a little too good to be true. Been waiting to see if there are any repercussions to this method down the line.

But with that said I want to pick up DR3 today and £36 is much better than £45.

The same is possible for US accounts, but there's a few more steps. Thankfully, the new Amazon PSN store makes it easier.

How to buy on US PSN from the UK (this won't work for PSVita and PSP stuff)

1) You will need a US address. Borderlinx up top will get you one, alternatively use Google.
2) Register for a US PSN account using aforementioned address.
3) Go to Amazon.com
4) Register or log in, and add that US address to your Address Book. Make it default for the .com site.
5) Go to the PS Digital section and buy credit (or games) using your standard credit or debit card with your actual address assigned to said credit or debit card (Amazon doesn't check for address mis-match for digital stuff).
6) Using your PS3 or PS4, log into your US account, and activate the codes.
7) Go forth and buy/download.

mate are you saying that the address you put in for your billing address DOESNT need to link to the actual billing address of the credit card?

i.e. i can put my CC number, expiry and name - then a different billing address in the US altogether and still use my CC?

Worked a treat using my Visa Debit card. Ended up paying £40 for Battlefield 4 rather than the £55 they wanted on the UK store. Even cheaper than buying disc based games. Thanks for the heads up!!!

any idea if you can pay using a paypal account? Or what happens if you have credit on your account? Will it convert to local currency?
I'm using PayPal in my regular region (UK) and I added my CC in the US region. Note that neither is my "home territory so to speak. I haven't found a way to add PayPal on X1, mine carried over from 360.

The same is possible for US accounts, but there's a few more steps. Thankfully, the new Amazon PSN store makes it easier.

1) You will need a US address. Borderlinx up top will get you one, alternatively use Google.
3) Go to Amazon.com
4) Register or log in, and add that US address to your Address Book. Make it default for the .com site.
5) Go to the PS Digital section and buy credit (or games) using your standard credit or debit card with your actual address assigned to said credit or debit card (Amazon doesn't check for address mis-match for digital stuff).

Will quote you in OP, thanks.

mate are you saying that the address you put in for your billing address DOESNT need to link to the actual billing address of the credit card?

i.e. i can put my CC number, expiry and name - then a different billing address in the US altogether and still use my CC?

That's the way it works for me and seemingly many others.

3) Go to Amazon.com

Will be doing this. A lot.

Many thanks!

B4D1E

Can you get banned from Xbox Live for doing this?

I've been asking myself the same question. I'm from Belgium and created a US Borderlinx address a couple days ago but didn't dare to use it. But yesterday I caved in and bought ACIV: Blackflag. This morning I received a confirmation e-mail from Microsoft for my purchase, like usual.

So I don't think we will be punished for giving them our hard earned cash :) And Albert Penello hinted at buying from other country stores when saying in Europe, people move alot across countries...

Seanbob11

I'm interested in this but has there been any reports of getting banned because of this? I remember them doing it for the 360 when you changed your location to somewhere in Eastern Europe for a sale.

NeoGash

This works for the 360 too right? Some of the sales are only worthwhile for people in N.A, so I'd like to take advantage of them. Don't get me started on AU PSN prices, they are actually fucked. Thanks for the thread, will bookmark.

This works for the 360 too right? Some of the sales are only worthwhile for people in N.A, so I'd like to take advantage of them. Don't get me started on AU PSN prices, they are actually fucked. Thanks for the thread, will bookmark.

Not really. You have to migrate your account to the US for this to work on 360 and before you renew gold you will experience some bugs so for your own sake just renew gokd right after migrating account. Look at my previously created threads for details. Also some things are region locked (many apps, some old GoD titles).

On X1 you just change a setting in the dash.

IRQ

Banned

Am afraid xbox360 dos not work that way. I have my account based on US and lots of games I can't download simply because am not In US. It checks your region. That goes also for free games with gold and some discounts. Some games works but not much.

X1 on the other hand works perfectly ;)

No. I have no idea why you are getting that error. I actually just bought a random Forza DLC car from the US marketplace set up in the exact way described in the OP. Could you please say exactly when and where you're getting that message?
turns out mine was a simple financial issue, haha! will try again when i get paid.

Storm360

Just a warning: this could be bannable

I don't have a Xbone so I haven't seen the ToS, but there is probably something to do with not faking region in there.
The 360 had region checks too, so they do have ways to check your actually from that country

bLaiSe

To anyone who bought BF4 on PS4 from the US store:
Does the server browser display EU servers if you launch the game with your UK account?

Pac3y

My fear is MS randomly slams down the ban hammer, with no warning or remorse. Most know they don't take too likely to people cutting corners, do we have any solid evidence this is safe to go along with?

I've done the PSN method, due to Sony not being as volatile as MS when it comes to stuff like this.

liger05

Just setting up a PSN account. What am I using as the billing address? The borderlinx address or my UK address?

IRQ

Banned

I don't have a Xbone so I haven't seen the ToS, but there is probably something to do with not faking region in there.
The 360 had region checks too, so they do have ways to check your actually from that country

It's not. You can migrate your region on Xbox.com or by contacting Xbox support. That's what I did on 360 and it works since then without any problem. I have also contacted Microsoft Xbox several times regarding other things and they saw my region is based on US while am not and didn't have a problem :)

Don't know direct UK to US but I save about 100SEK (8.75 GBP) on the US store compared to the UK store.

Hmm, I think I'll set up an account and buy something. See how much of saving there is compared to buying from supermarkets or just waiting a couple of weeks for prices to drop naturally...

X1 is region free no? MS themselves suggested you could set up an account in a region that wasn't your own to buy content...

liger05

I just ordered Killzone from Amazon and got this message

Sorry, processing is taking longer than expected.
Please do not reorder this item.
Some Game and Software downloads go through extra verification that may take up to 4 hours. This process is in place to prevent unauthorized orders on your account.

No further action is required from you.
Once your order is complete, we will send you an email.
If you wish to cancel your order please contact us.

Top Bottom