• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet speed VS prices from around the world - WTF Canada>:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://i.imgur.com/cwiNV.jpg

cwiNV.jpg

And WTF Japan. The internet is basically free over there???

edit: argh old:mad:

Mohonky

Look at that, Australia has one of the highest broadband penetration percentages in the world and we STILL have some of the worst infrastructure out there.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Scullibundo said:
Its coming. You'll be able to download the 404 site blocked page faster than you would have ever hoped.
The thought police are coming for you now because you dissed chairman Rudd.

dani_dc

Nice to see my country in 7th, I remember when just a few years ago the internet was slow like hell and we had ridiculous low caps (such as 1GB per month) and the internet in the US sounded amazing by comparison.

How things have changed :lol

Japan speed/cost is amazing though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Canada's not that bad. I'm paying $70 for 25mbps/1mbps and 125GB cap. Rogers.

Not perfect, and I definitely want more upload speed, but I think we stand pretty well compared to most countries regardless.

Blablurn

i can't believe people still have bandwith caps :( i remember the time when we had a 5GB cap. horrible. thank god the german internet provider have improved a lot...

Blackface

Banned
Internet in the US is 100 times better then in Canada.

The fact I have to pay almost $70 with taxes and modem rental for 10Mbps and a 95gig cap is absolutely fucking retarded.

Until a few weeks ago the 25Mbps plan was $100 + modem rental + taxes + 120gig cap. They dropped it to $70 + gateway rental + taxes. Yes, gateway. A router, wireless router, switch combo by SMC that is a piece of shit. Can't change DNS servers, can't use any protection outside of WEP, has almost no security features (no built in firewall or NAT), and does not allow you to actual control your home network.

The worst part is, if you get the technician user/pass to get into it, and turn it into a modem only, 90 percent of the routers on the market, including the DIR-655 no longer work with it.

To top all this off, you will end up waiting a month for this steaming pile of crap to be delivered to you.

Rogers fucking sucks, and so does this country for not allowing American telecoms to come in and take over.

Tntnnbltn

Tntnnbltn said:
Misleading. Doesn't show how screwed over Australia is with download caps.
And heeere we go...

4ewt4.png

One of the cheapest broadband rates in the world... if you can live with a 2GB cap.

If you want to be able to actually use your internet, say hello to the highest rates in the word.

Case in point:

I hope no one here is actually with BigPond. :-/

I am enjoying the huge limit of 120gb p/m on TPG ADSL2, but fuck me if my connection isn't always shitty during XBL games - though that may have more to do with the NAT not being open.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
vas_a_morir said:
The internet in Japan is slow as fuck. However, because of the high population density, it's not too expensive, though.

What? Are you on crack?

dejay

Banned
Mohonky said:
Look at that, Australia has one of the highest broadband penetration percentages in the world and we STILL have some of the worst infrastructure out there.

We have a population less than 2/3 that of California yet it's spread out over a distance similar to that of the US. Add the fact that we're seperated from the main internet traffic routes by thousands of kilometres of submarine cables.

I agree it's shit, but there are some reasons for it.

Scullibundo said:
I am enjoying the huge limit of 120gb p/m on TPG ADSL2, but fuck me if my connection isn't always shitty during XBL games - though that may have more to do with the NAT not being open.

Can't open your NAT? Perhaps it's your router that is the issue, although I've heard TPG isn't too crash hot for XBL. iinet is supposed to be the shit and last I heard XBL traffic didn't count towards download caps.

I'm sure finding a graph to show the bandwidth cap would show that Canada is even worse off.

$50 can't even get me 60GB? BULLSHIT.

Yousefb

holy shit Japan :|

EDIT: whatever though, the internet I got in Boston is leagues better than the shit I had back home so it's all good :p

LCfiner

right now I have 50 mbps service from Videotron Quebec. cost is 80 bucks a month.

so that's $1.60 per mbps. Hooray! I'm much better than average for Canada!

speed is as advertised. quite happy with it. bandwidth cap, on the other hand, is stingy at only 100 GB combined up and down.

I get by, but I feel constrained by the end of each month.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
vas_a_morir said:
Well, now that I think about it, it's fast, but unreliable.

Yeah what? Are you on some DSL line out in the boonies or something?? Hikari fiber has never been unreliable or slow for me.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Boo for Ireland. One of the most expensive in Europe & bandwidth caps also.

€45 for 8MB DSL with 100GB cap/month.

Too bad cable broadband penetration is so low in Ireland as its the future of high-speed broadband.

Looking at the average speed graph, all the shit slow countries are all stuck using old copper wires and ASDL technology.

you people really get upwards of 20mbps?? megabytes per second?? like an average mp3 would take you like 1/4 second to download and an average movie of 700mb would take half a minute???

damn. I thought I had it good with my AT&T DSL of around 3mbps :/

Deadly

I guess you gotta consider the size of the countries for the company. I mean Bell must build antennas or whatever all over the country while a small country like Japan would need much less. But still, it's like cellphone market over here; as long as customers will need it their going to charge ridiculous prices. Freakin oligopolies and their price discrimination.

TheDoppelganger said:
you people really get upwards of 20mbps?? megabytes per second??
mbps =! megabytes per second

big_z

vas_a_morir said:
The internet in Japan is slow as fuck. However, because of the high population density, it's not too expensive, though.

i've heard the opposite to the point where japanese users will disconnect people from other countries trying to download from them because they're too slow.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm sure finding a graph to show the bandwidth cap would show that Canada is even worse off.

$50 can't even get me 60GB? BULLSHIT.

who do you use? i use shaw with normal high speed. it's $35/month with cable $45 stand alone. Download cap each month is 60GB but i've gone beyond it many times without any problems. Download speed i average 800KB/sec to 1.3MB/sec.

Xeke

Banned
TheDoppelganger said:
you people really get upwards of 20mbps?? megabytes per second?? like an average mp3 would take you like 1/4 second to download and an average movie of 700mb would take half a minute???

damn. I thought I had it good with my AT&T DSL of around 3mbps :/

megaBITS.

I don't know anyone in the UK with less than 10mbps. I have 20mbps for just under £10 a month. Also, all that capping is ridiculous. Virtually all of the major providers in the UK have truly unlimited services. I couldn't imagine using the net under a cap :(

Goldrusher

Duopoly ruined internet here in Belgium.

With no competitors, it's now three times as expensive as in any neighboring country, where traffic caps don't even exist.
One company for cable, one for ADSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom