• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interpret, a 6 month old company??

Take off the foil hats, this isnt rocket science. :)

Interpret's main line of revenue is in game advertising, they recently conducted the survey about who is interested in buying next gen consoles. The Xbxo 360 came in a distant 3rd place. Pretty embarassing stuff.
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/adwatch/?id=12503

As most of us know, MS now owns Massive, the largest in game advertising corperation in town, they have tons of patents that will allow for interchangable ads to be swapped out and get updated in games.
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+makes+Massive+bet+on+in-game+ads/2100-1014_3-6068801.html

Now looking at Interpret, they announced their 'Gameasure' in game ad service in July 2006
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002876934

Now here's the kicker:

MS announced the aquisition of Massive April 26, 2006
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060426-6680.html

Interpret was formed April 27, 2006
http://www.mrweb.com/drno/news5445.htm

What does this mean? A sony exec and other with 12 million dollars in backing form a company to provide a service that was suposed to be used across all online consoles and PCs.

MS bought that company, and Interpret was announced the next day. There was talk about MS buying Massive for a while, when it finally hit SOMEONE was ready to retaliate.

Online ad revenue is big bucks, and Sony being cut out of that would be devastating in the long run. The real thing to remember is, this isnt a long time competitor with Massive, this is a newly formed venture that is a reaction to MS buying Massive. Will we see more surveys from them in the future? I'm sure. But they are most certainly worthless.

KillJade

Banned
signquestion3xd.gif

NG_Kris

The former president of SCEE isn't "a senior member" of Interpret. He's a board member of IGA worldwide, an in-game ad company. The person you're referring to, Chris Deering, is one of the most respected people in the industry. He's also on the board of RedOctane and Codemasters, and is also the chairman of the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment festival. You're confused about his involvement because the GameDaily article you linked to had interviews with both Interpret and IGA, two companies with different services.

You also make it sound like Interpret's an in-game ad provider such as Massive, Double Fusion or IGA when it's not. Interpret's actually a company that's very interested in tracking in-game ads across all platforms and in-game ad companies. The Gamemeasure service you mention is NOTHING like what IGA, Massive or Double Fusion provide. Gamemeasure is a game data tracking service to help marketers make better decisions about in-game ad placements and other related issues, not an ad provider service.

All this info is pretty clear in the links that you referenced...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm not sure what the hell I'm suppose to be taking from this thread...

NG_Kris said:
The former president of SCEE isn't "a senior member" of Interpret. He's a board member of IGA worldwide, an in-game ad company. The person you're referring to, Chris Deering, is one of the most respected people in the industry. He's also on the board of RedOctane and Codemasters, and is also the chairman of the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment festival. You're confused about his involvement because the GameDaily article you linked to had interviews with both Interpret and IGA, two companies with different services.

You also make it sound like Interpret's an in-game ad provider such as Massive, Double Fusion or IGA when it's not. Interpret's actually a company that's very interested in tracking in-game ads across all platforms and in-game ad companies. The Gamemeasure service you mention is NOTHING like what IGA, Massive or Double Fusion provide. Gamemeasure is a game data tracking service to help marketers make better decisions about in-game ad placements and other related issues, not an ad provider service.

All this info is pretty clear in the links that you referenced...

Ooooh. If this is true, Vigo and Snatches' tin foil hats are OWNZORD!!!!1111

Vigo the Carpathian said:
TooOok out the sony reference. My mistake.

Still doenst mean there isnt a conflict of interest.

So what is the conflict of interest?

What is the motive?

What would this company have to gain from lying to it's clients, who are paying for such information, and expect accuracy?

Since you are the one throwing these accusations around, those questions should be pretty easy to answer.

LukeSmith

snatches said:
Hey Luke are you guys doing any follow up on this story on 1up to point out some of these coincidences?

I don't know enough about marketing research at this exact second in my afternoon to really approach this story the right way. Even with the Vigo follow-up business, it just seems like there's more bullshit to sort through here than it's ultimately worth. Your average consumer 1. doesn't read next-gen and 2. won't get a PS3 this year anyway.

Not being flippant, really. I just don't know how to even approach a story like this. It seems so twisted up and ****ed.

Scoot said:
I don't know enough about marketing research at this exact second in my afternoon to really approach this story the right way. Even with the Vigo follow-up business, it just seems like there's more bullshit to sort through here than it's ultimately worth. Your average consumer 1. doesn't read next-gen and 2. won't get a PS3 this year anyway.

Not being flippant, really. I just don't know how to even approach a story like this. It seems so twisted up and ****ed.

Doesn't sound very twisted to me at all. It sounds reasonably understandable.

PS3 has the biggest base of fans due to it's dominance the past two generations, so it's understandable that the number skew to them for now with the PS3 on the horizon. Most of the millions of us who knew we wanted XBox 360s already and practically all of the hardcore XBox Live crowd already have a 360, and the fence sitters are taking a more "wait-and-see" attitude to see what PS3 and Wii are like, so those numbers seem lower. Wii fans are very loyal to Nintendo, but are simply fewer in number to people who recognize the Playstation brand, so that number is lower too.

It all seems pretty simple and straightforward to me, when you remove the conspiracy theories. It isn't that surprising when taken into perspective. Of course it also isn't the "proof" that Sony fans want that their PS3 is "teh winnar" either, since what people say in surveys, and what people actually do when they have to spend $500 are often two different things.

NG_Kris

Vigo's post implies that Interpret is in direct competition with Massive, when they're in two different businesses. Massive provides in-game ads, Interpret and Gamemeasure track them. I see no conflict of interest, but the conspiracies make for great, retarded threads.

This is like me saying that the NPD Group is in direct competition with Square Enix. One tracks games, one provides games. Whatever. People won't read this post anyway.

NG_Kris said:
Vigo's post implies that Interpret is in direct competition with Massive, when they're in two different businesses. Massive provides in-game ads, Interpret and Gamemeasure track them. I see no conflict of interest, but the conspiracies make for great, retarded threads.

This is like me saying that the NPD Group is in direct competition with Square Enix. One tracks games, one provides games. Whatever. People won't read this post anyway.
/thread.

Thanks.

NG_Kris said:

Wrong, Interpret owns Gameasure, a technology being used soley by IGA and NOT Massive

http://www.gameshark.com/news/18502/IGA-Uses-Gameasure.htm

Conflict of interest

http://www.gamedaily.com/news/?gd=y&p=2&p=34&page=29

"Interpret and IGA Announce Gameasure 7/20/2006"

It's a joint partnership. The Sony exec works at IGA.

Vigo: You suggest a confict of interest could still be present, yet you still haven't explained what interest of Interpret is served by supposedly lying to the people that pay them for accurate data.

Gameasure and Interpret seek to become in gaming what Nielson Media Research is to TV. Nielson would be bankrupt if they did what you are flippantly accusing Interpret of doing here.

If doing what you claim Interpret is doing would certainly doom them to Chapter 11, what is their motivation?

Again, this should be a simple question to answer for someone throwing all these accusations around.

Pristine_Condition said:
Vigo: You still haven't explained what interest of Interpret is served by supposedly lying to the people that pay them for accurate data.

Gameasure and Interpret seek to become in gaming what Nielson Media Research is to TV. Nielson would be bankrupt if they did what you are flippantly accusing Interpret of doing here.

If doing what you claim Interpret is doing would certainly doom them to Chapter 11, what is their motivation?

Again, this should be a simple question to answer for someone throwing all these accusations around.

Their comparison to 'neilson' has to do with ad tracking. It has NOTHING to do with their online polls about who is buying what. That online poll has nothing to do with the company or their ad based technology.

Does that give them a licesne to spread misinformation about cinsumer interest? Perhaps, especially if it has to do with their main competition, that being Massive/MS.

Their comparison to 'neilson' has to do with ad tracking. It has NOTHING to do with their online polls about who is buying what. That online poll has nothing to do with the company or their ad based technology.

Does that give them a licesne to spread misinformation about cinsumer interest? Perhaps, especially if it has to do with their main competition, that being Massive/MS.

Wow. That's one serious reach you've got there, Vigo. Good luck with that.

Actually, you don't seem to understand Nielsen's business very well either, which is simply "audience measurement." They've done surveys similar to this one in the past, for HDTV and broadband online saturation as well.

NG_Kris

Wrong, Interpret owns Gameasure, a technology being used soley by IGA and NOT Massive

http://www.gameshark.com/news/18502/IGA-Uses-Gameasure.htm

Conflict of interest

http://www.gamedaily.com/news/?gd=y&p=2&p=34&page=29

"Interpret and IGA Announce Gameasure 7/20/2006"

It's a joint partnership. The Sony exec works at IGA.

Number one, Massive has its own game-tracking service that it uses for its own clients (i.e. game publishers who use Massive-provided ads in their games). Massive doesn't go out and offer its tracking service to competing in-game ad companies such as IGA, so I don't know what your point is there.

Two, so you're saying that the Interpret survey was purposefully skewed because Chris Deering USED to be president of SCEE and is now a board member with a company that is in a partnership with an in-game ad company that in turn signed a deal with data-tracking firm Interpret which conducted the survey? Okay, if you say so.

I'm done... and embarassed for even sticking around for this thread.

Incredible. Just incredible.

NG_Kris said:
Number one, Massive has its own game-tracking service that it uses for its own clients (i.e. game publishers who use Massive-provided ads in their games). Massive doesn't go out and offer its tracking service to competing in-game ad companies such as IGA, so I don't know what your point is there.

Two, so you're saying that the Interpret survey was purposefully skewed because Chris Deering USED to be president of SCEE and is now a board member with a company that is in a partnership with an in-game ad company that in turn signed a deal with data-tracking firm Interpret which conducted the survey? Okay, if you say so.

If massive baets out IGS, Where does that leave Interpret?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
NG_Kris said:

:lol :lol
/thread.

NG_Kris

If massive baets out IGS, Where does that leave Interpret?

First, who's IGS? You mean IGA, I assume.

And for the answer... Interpret's Gameasure isn't the only service the firm has... it's a consulting agency. There are plenty more things to measure in this multi-billion dollar industry. They also do home entertainment and have the Line of Sight and whitepaper products. So if Massive somehow puts IGA out of business... what's your point again?

I hate the Internet... why am I arguing about this????!!!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Huh WTF this thread fails on every level.

Mods leaving this open? Shouldn't this just be one commen on the survey thread instead of a new thread by an xbot trying to do some damage control?

snatches

NG_Kris said:
First, who's IGS? You mean IGA, I assume.

And for the answer... Interpret's Gameasure isn't the only service the firm has... it's a consulting agency. There are plenty more things to measure in this multi-billion dollar industry. They also do home entertainment and have the Line of Sight and whitepaper products. So if Massive somehow puts IGA out of business... what's your point again?

I hate the Internet... why am I arguing about this????!!!

So you don't have any problem with the fact that the company in questions main revenue stream comes from a business that is in direct competition with MS?

You don't think that might have made them skew the survey to promote companies that they can be in business with?

Just because it isn't there only business does not mean that they don't want their MS owned competition to fail.

There have been much less obvious conspiracy theories brought to GAF's attention on these boards.

Top Bottom