• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview last week, should I call to ask if i'm getting an offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drey1082

A place I interviewed at last week said that they would get back to me in about a week regarding if i got an offer or not. Today is a week later, and I'm thinking I probably didn't get the job after feeling pretty confident a week ago. Is it good to call your interviewer back and ask about the position and my chances? I graduated last month and am extremely stressed out about finding work. I was feeling pretty good about this interview last week, but now i'm back to stressing out again. The stress is mounting as I go on interview after interview and get no offers. Any advice?

P.S. Any managers out there want to hire a U of Illinois MIS grad???

Yes, it's good if you call back. I used to be a recruiter(before enrolling back into school) and people who called back a few days after the interview were greatly shined upon. Hope everything works out...

Tuvoc said:
you didn't get the job ;)

No way of knowing that. Recruiters interview TONS of people before settling on their last few people to interview again for the job. A call back to the recruiter lets them know that you're still interested and want the job, and that's a good thing. So many people are nonchalant about the whole job proccess, and it bites them in the ass.

Drey1082

Well, I'll try calling this afternoon. For this interview i even did a nice follow up thank you letter later that day! All for nothing it looks like. This job hunting stuff is the worst. I'm going through school recruiting, internet searching, a headhunter here in chicago, and just asking everyone I know trying to get some networking going. Luckly, I have a temp job at the investment counsel i've worked at for a couple summers now, so at least i'm doing something and getting some income. Word to the wise: GO TO GRAD SCHOOL AND AVOID THE REAL WORLD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

SFA_AOK

I'd follow up but maybe wait til tomorrow...

Just call up and say "Hi, I interviewed last week, I was just wondering if there's been any progress in the selection process?"

It sucks that people a. don't get back to you in time and b. don't get back to you if you don't get it.

Overseer

Calling back is a good way of letting the employer know you are really interested in the job. It shows initiative.

I really liked when people called me back after an interview, or if they took the next step and sent out a thank you card. After all, we are the people who are trying to help you. It's amazing how some of these people can be asses, and that's a death warrant for them. Cross a recruiter, and you're basically blacklisted and it's sent around to other recruiters and firms.

Drey1082

Woohoo, just 5 min ago got a call from my dad saying an employer called my house wanting to set up an interview. I get to start the cycle to this horrible process yet again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom