• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview/stream with Gabe Newell's son. He's making a game. And other infos.

update:

video is up

and an AMA

--

I noticed the stream archive earlier today, but couldn't watch it yet, but over at Facepunch people wrote down tidbits. Gray Newell (despite FP calling him Grey his YT channel is Gray) did a stream and interview with Valve News Network.

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1592262

Grey Newell, Gabe's son has done a stream and an interview with Valve News Network about his upcoming game Fury. Stream VOD 1 and 2.Grey's youtube channel (Interview will be added when it's uploaded)

While questions about Fury were saved for the interview, Grey had a trove of interesting info

-Fury will be on Steam

-Gabe met Satoru Iwata for a Valve/Nintendo partnership around the Wii era that fell through.

-Grey and Gabe have breakfasts at ihop where they talk science, Gabe gets chicken noodle soup.

-Grey played Super Mario Galaxy with Shigeru Miyamoto in Japan.

-Gabe only plays Dota 2, only against bots (also Gabe himself has said he plays multiplayer with people)

-Grey uses the Steam Metro skin, thinks the default is awful and has tried to get Valve to improve it for two years

-All Valve employees, family and friends can get all Steam games for free

-Bill Gates had dinner with the Newells once

-Grey said the problem with Valve's structure is "no one knows anthing". He had an anecdote, he went to Valve once and asked devs about Source 2, devs kept saying "talk to this guy" until they went in circles.

Some more info.

-Skrillex went to Valve and was very excited, and Grey met Deadmau5 at one of the Internationals

-Grey expects HL3 to be brought up when talking to new people

-Valve does take internships, but rarely (a member of Grey's team, a TF2 contributor named Ben. interned at Valve)

-Grey doesn't keep up with the Gaben memes

That aside, here's some more tidbits

-Grey played Dota 2 for 2000 hours, but quit because it made him want to die

-Grey met Paul McCartney at a party

-Grey's lead programmer collects every mountain dew can he drinks

-Grey was asked who the nicest Valve dev was, he said he liked Zoid, but didn't know he left Valve
frown.png

-Grey has played a lot of Valve prototypes, but not F-Stop

Last edited:

Shifty

That grey text in the quote boxes is entirely unreadable on the dark theme.

Does it have a weird style on it or something?

Last edited:

Shifty

And in the light theme? I just copied it. On a phone and everything's fine.
Seems to work as intended.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the fancy new rich text post composer. It probably copied the style from wherever you sourced the info.

For reference:

Dark theme
8e5851e462eae184d8d9009d4cc5817c.png

Light theme
607d20c1c8aa302bab2223177dd10635.png

Last edited:

Shifty

Removed formatting. Is it better? Also how do I access dark theme?
Yeah, it's readable now. There should be a 'Change Theme' link at the bottom left of each page that'll let you hop between light and dark modes.

On-topic, those are some candid tidbits. Good on the guy for pushing for UI impovements, seems like a gargantuan task given how long it's been.

i honestly think we should stop posting "news" regarding Valve. They don't make games anymore so what's the point. HL3 will never happen. Let it go.

Adam_802

"-Grey said the problem with Valve's structure is "no one knows anthing". He had an anecdote, he went to Valve once and asked devs about Source 2, devs kept saying "talk to this guy" until they went in circles."

*Sigh*, of fucking course. Urgh. valve is fucked as a dev.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Owning all the games for free would be awesome. I wonder if they get all the new releases by clicking a button.

It must be great being at the top and not having to go to Target or Walmart to buy your game for $60. :) granted, they are like the royal family in terms of getting things off the ground and starting an empire.

You'd think they'd have an internal meeting to discuss these public remarks. Maybe address the problems?

Last edited:
Top Bottom