• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inti Creates appreciation thread (the masters of japanese retro gaming)

KàIRóS

Many will probably know them as the devs of the Mega Man Zero games but they have been making cult hits since then, they clearly know their target audience, with action packed gameplay and gorgeous pixel art graphics they make games that are evocative of another era while also modernizing systems for the current era and I'm a big BIG fan of them, mainly because they are one of the few devs still making this "hard as nails retro games" with little to no hand holding, their Dragon Marked for Death game is probably my most played Multiplayer game in 2019, actually I can't wait to get back to it after finishing this thread lol.

They started working under Capcom for Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX.

Q1XZOtJ.gif
SdKFUYi.gif
H9H6MbO.jpg

I know you can't get enough of those beautiful animations.

They then finally self published their first game series Azure Striker Gunvolt, music themed fast paced action platformers, if you're a fan of Megaman Zero or just Megaman in general and you haven't played these, do yourself a favor and get them ASAP.

AMYdkSu.gif
HMyeb63.gif
RIelzdl.jpg

Speedrunners have a blast playing these ones.

They revived the Blaster Master series! and have helped in the development of other retro titles like Megaman 9 & 10, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Mighty N...n..nevermind.

eaHS35T.gif
l1IIyoE.gif
awsBmc8.jpg

I used to play the original NES game so much in my childhood.

and finally the game that I feel is the culmination of all their work over the years, Dragon Marked for Death, my god I don't know how many hours I've spent in this game it's like an addicting 2D Monster Hunter, multiplayer is so much fun and they keep adding stuff.

5Jy4lCh.jpg

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I haven't played all of their games, but I definitely appreciate what they do. Blaster Master Zero was one of the best surprises for me at the Switch's launch. I still gotta play Blaster Master Zero 2 at some point. Mighty Gunvolt, or Gal*Gunvolt, depending on whichever platform you play it on is actually the spiritual Mega Man game that Mighty No 9 was not. This thread is well timed, because I just picked up a copy of Dragon Marked for Death at Gamestop for $20. Never really heard much about it.

You forgot to mention that Inti Creates is also responsible for the quirky, but fun Gal Gun series.
header.jpg
header.jpg

I un-ironically really enjoy these games. Yeah, they're pervy and stupid, but that's the point, and they kinda know it. I never really found them pervy in the arousing sense, they're pervy in the funny sense. It's just a silly good time, and to actually get good at the stages, you have to be good with your aiming, so I actually found them challenging if you get into the gameplay.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Gonna fraud a bit since I've not beaten any of them but the music and sprite work on MMZ is on another level. I wish I went to MAGfest the year they played MMZ tracks live.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I love the Mega Man Zero games, Mega Man 9 and 10, and Bloodstained: CotM.

Haven’t completed Blaster Master Zero 2 yet. I should get back to it. Good game, but I think I had trouble with it because I couldn’t fully grasp the weapon system in the top-down sections. Always felt like I never had enough energy to use the alt weapons much.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Lol you forgot their best game. Bloodstained curse of the moon.
Is it really that good? Might grab it on Vita.
According to some wiki pages, they even have some involvement with Ritual of the Night which is totally a good game. I'm not sure how much they were involved though, because there are a lot of devs listed for that game, including WayForward.

KàIRóS

You forgot to mention that Inti Creates is also responsible for the quirky, but fun Gal Gun series.

I haven't played them, that's why I didn't mention them.

Gonna fraud a bit since I've not beaten any of them but the music and sprite work on MMZ is on another level.

You've said it brother, those guys have some of the best pixel artists in the business.

This reminds me, I have not played Blaster Master Zero 2 yet. I wonder if it's on discount right now.

It is discounted on Steam, dunno if it is on Switch.

Is Mighty Gunvolt Burst a sequel?

It's more like a companion game, like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, but it might be a sequel story wise, I'm not sure.

Lol you forgot their best game. Bloodstained curse of the moon.

I did mention it, I just didn't have a GIF to post for it.

Shantae

Banned
Are we pretending in this thread they didn't make the horrible Mighty No. 9 and they had to be pulled off the main Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night project because they were fucking that one up too?
I blame Inafune's piss poor ability to manage development, and giving them 10 versions of the game to produce. They actually managed to do something great with the Mighty No 9 license when they made the previously mentioned Mighty Gunvolt Burst on Switch/3ds (also known as Gal Gunvolt Burst on PS4, I don't know why the same game has a different title on...)

Last edited:

Arc Eda Ricolne

Neo Member
Inti Creates is one of my favourite developers. It all started with Megaman ZX, then Gunvolt series (Copen gameplay is one of the most fun things in 2d platforming, glad he got his own game and hope there will be more).

I loved Mighty Gunvolt Burst- some great ideas, ton of characters and pretty funny last figt. Same with both Blaster Master Zero, I was playing NES orginal back in the days so going back to those games was really exciting. Wish they gonna make another one.

Dragon Marked for Death was pretty disappointing though. But I appreciate that they didn't left the game as it was and still are updating and fixing bugs.

I can't agree with OP sentence about Inti games being (...)"hard as nails retro games" with little to no hand holding(...). IMO their games does one of the best things- give players option. What I mean is if you just like the gameplay, world, or even story you can play on easy mode or there are even items that can make you almost invincible so you can finish the game with no problems. Or you can choose not to use said items, play on normal mode, do 'no hit' runs or go for the highest score possible. That way both 'casual' and 'hardcore' gamers can find something good for themselves.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I did mention it, I just didn't have a GIF to post for it.
True, I did not see it. Deserves a bit more space in my opinion, truly a great game.

Is it really that good? Might grab it on Vita.
Yes, it is fantastic. It takes Castlevania 3 as a basis, but pushes everything further. You can play in several. Either save people, either kill them, either ignore. This will enable shortcuts or not depending on your choices. Fantastic level-design, great soundtrack as well. Their best game with Megaman 9 in my opinion.

On Vita you will get uneven pixels for information as the resolution of the console is not an integer scale from the native resolution of the engine.

Last edited:
I seriously hope they buy most of Sunsoft's IPs and do stuff with them.

Taito/Quintet as well since SquareEnix love not doing much with those games these days.

KàIRóS

Are we pretending in this thread they didn't make the horrible Mighty No. 9 and they had to be pulled off the main Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night project because they were fucking that one up too?

They didn't make it, they helped in the development but we don't know to what degree and you're just speculating there with bloodstained too.

I can't agree with OP sentence about Inti games being (...)"hard as nails retro games" with little to no hand holding(...). IMO their games does one of the best things- give players option. What I mean is if you just like the gameplay, world, or even story you can play on easy mode or there are even items that can make you almost invincible so you can finish the game with no problems. Or you can choose not to use said items, play on normal mode, do 'no hit' runs or go for the highest score possible. That way both 'casual' and 'hardcore' gamers can find something good for themselves.

That's why I said "while modernizing systems for the current era" that's one of their best traits, they make games as if their were in the 80s/90s but with the current era also in mind, to be honest with you I don't think I've ever played one of their games on easy so I wouldn't know how easy they actually are, but on normal and beyond their games are pretty challenging IMO.

Taito/Quintet as well since SquareEnix love not doing much with those games these days.

Uff man that would be the day, imagine if Inti Creates also got into making Shoot'em ups, those games would be must buys.

Gazimaluke

Neo Member
It would be great. But I don't know if Inti would be doing that. They didn't go to Sunsoft for the Blaster Master license. Sunsoft was looking for someone to make a new Blaster Master game and it was pure luck that a Inti guy got sick at an event and the they had to cancel a meeting and then the other Inti guy happened to talk to a Sunsoft producer. And then BMZ happened.
But Sunsoft really needs someone to make games of their IP since they themselves really aren't in the position to do it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd hardly call them the masters of anything, but their games tend to be pretty good. I've enjoyed pretty much all of the games I've played from them, but I've never found them to be like... amazing examples of the genre. They do good work, and they're consistent. I'm glad they're around.

If you wanna talk about a developer that's really the master of channeling that old-school vibe, that'd be Falcom.

KàIRóS

Felt like reviving the thread to hype the Megaman Zero/ZX Collection coming out this month and the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack for PS4 announcement.

I'd hardly call them the masters of anything, but their games tend to be pretty good. I've enjoyed pretty much all of the games I've played from them, but I've never found them to be like... amazing examples of the genre. They do good work, and they're consistent. I'm glad they're around.

If you wanna talk about a developer that's really the master of channeling that old-school vibe, that'd be Falcom.

BTW I hadn't seen your post, sorry for the late reply.

It's interesting that you mention Falcom, I actually think completely the opposite to you, IMO they have been modernizing their IPs a lot in the last years (not like that's a bad thing) going for the school vibe in the Trails of Cold Steel tetralogy à la Persona and the same thing for Tokyo Xanadu on top of having the modern japan setting and now going for the Open World model with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's interesting that you mention Falcom, I actually think completely the opposite to you, IMO they have been modernizing their IPs a lot in the last years (not like that's a bad thing) going for the school vibe in the Trails of Cold Steel tetralogy à la Persona and the same thing for Tokyo Xanadu on top of having the modern japan setting and now going for the Open World model with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox.

That's why I think Falcom's so good at channeling that old-school feeling - they've basically got a foot in both camps. Their games feel modern for the reasons you mentioned, but they still retain that late '80s/early '90s anime aesthetic; and the pacing and focus on rock-solid mechanics just feels distinctly... well, old-school.

KàIRóS

That's why I think Falcom's so good at channeling that old-school feeling - they've basically got a foot in both camps. Their games feel modern for the reasons you mentioned, but they still retain that late '80s/early '90s anime aesthetic; and the pacing and focus on rock-solid mechanics just feels distinctly... well, old-school.

Oh I see, yeah I can agree with that.

Top Bottom