• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the breach - From the makers of FTL

Typhares

So this new indie game is coming out tomorrow on steam and I feel it's not covered nearly enough.
To be fair there is so little professional coverage and marketing around it that I only discovered it last week myself.
But I'm definitely looking forward to it now.

Here is a quick video presentation released recently:

I really like the fact that it is based on a 'reactive' gameplay. I mean I really enjoyed XCOM but sometimes the randomness can be frustrating.
This game is more like a dynamic puzzle that needs to be solved best on each turn whislt having all the variables known.

I wonder if the story will be developped in any significant way but I like the idea of sending one of your pilot back in time; keeping his stats and giving a story justification for the increased knowledge the player accumulate through his runs.

First review from gamespot: 9/10

Last edited:
I'm really digging what I've seen so far and I spent over a 100 hours in FTL. The only concern I have is that the grid sizes of the maps. I don't know if they open up more or if they're all 8x8 or 8x6 but everything I've seen so far is that grid size. I would like to know if it opens up more.

Typhares

I'm really digging what I've seen so far and I spent over a 100 hours in FTL. The only concern I have is that the grid sizes of the maps. I don't know if they open up more or if they're all 8x8 or 8x6 but everything I've seen so far is that grid size. I would like to know if it opens up more.

I haven't seen any bigger maps either. I'n actually not sure it would be beneficial for the game though, each maps are supposed to be cleared relatively quickly and you only have 3 mechs.
The different islands definitely have different terrain effects though and different events (tsunami, seismic activity etc...) to deal with.

There was talk about the dev explaining game design decision that was quite interesting I watched yesterday:

Grimmrobe

Looks cool. It's nice to see something else coming from the FTL dev. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it already.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I really enjoyed FTL quite a bit. It had that "just one more go" addictive trait which kept me playing for hours. I never made it to the end, but I don't think that was the point. Very much looking forward to this!

Pentapolis

I've been waiting for this for a while - various podcasters have talked about it very positively and it sounds like my sort of thing. It'll be a rare day one purchase for me I think.

I really like the fact that it is based on a 'reactive' gameplay. I mean I really enjoyed XCOM but sometimes the randomness can be frustrating.

Similarly to Slay the Spire, I like how it shows exactly what the enemy intends to do and lets you work out how to respond. Funny how two games arrive at about the same time with the same twist on the regular turn based formula.

Still no price on Steam, rumoured to be $15.

Last edited:

Typhares

That looks like a really neat strategy game. I like mechs. I wonder how many variations there will be.

I wonder as well for long term gameplay. But to be honest I don't tend to spend a tons of hours in games these days.
All I can see for now is that there are 24 mechs with unique abilities. They are divided in 8 squads (need to be unlocked with stars earned) but you can create a custom squad with any mech unlocked.

Similarly to Slay the Spire, I like how it shows exactly what the enemy intends to do and lets you work out how to respond. Funny how two games arrive at about the same time with the same twist on the regular turn based formula.

I have been following Slay the Spire too with interest. I will wait for full release though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up Typhares Typhares . I remember reading about Into the Breach a while back but it had completely slipped off of my radar. FTL was fantastic so I'm keen to see what the team have in store for us next.

Edit: I'm loving the art style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom