• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZywyPL

Banned
zYWBKQP.jpg

Looks surprisingly good. Can you also make one where the right analog is also switched with the buttons?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly this. DualSense is seriously pushing the envelope. Look at this:
Xbox2020_Cntlr_Frnt_MKT_1x1_RGB-1024x1024.png

So, so bland and boring.
Well that's just the original black version. Microsoft is luckily known to create a lot of beautiful versions of their controller, as well as having a design lab where everyone can create their own.

That they didn't change the formfactor is normal since this was already the best controller on the market. Dualsense is playing catch up so it makes sense there's a lot more difference with the DS4.

Tamy

Banned
Exactly this. DualSense is seriously pushing the envelope. Look at this:

Xbox2020_Cntlr_Frnt_MKT_1x1_RGB-1024x1024.png

So, so bland and boring.

There are plenty of options and you can even create your own controller. I think this is something gamers really want, just look at all the DS5 designs on twitter

Fake

There are plenty of options and you can even create your own controller. I think this is something gamers really want, just look at all the DS5 designs on twitter

Wish Sony a Dualsense lab. Was a great ideia of Microsoft.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well that's just the original black version. Microsoft is luckily known to create a lot of beautiful versions of their controller, as well as having a design lab where everyone can create their own.

I have to say that once you look at it closely yes at first sight it may seem a bit plain, but then it is not it is actually really well matching the aesthetic of the XSX console itself and you need to look at the both items together.

Imtjnotu

This is why internal battery is bad. After years it can break, expand and make the device unusable. Of course there is a place for internal battery but with controller, they could just make 2 versions or sell it with removable internal (battery pack) that could swap for AA
Like this. Batteries break, Ever battery

Good to see you're still in 1998

rofif

Banned
Good to see you're still in 1998
it's just an example. Any internal battery will get worse and can expand with time. Lithium batteries have not changed that much.
The ipods are not the best example since I would not want AA battery powered ipods either... and if the internal batteries in those were easier to replace, it would still be bad and not possible to get "new" replacement batteries today.
Think of it like buying a car but not being able to change the engine oil... never. Or having Your gas tank capacity shrink half after 10 years for example.
Just having a battery hatch would be great if they sold it with battery pack installed that could be swapped for AA.
Don't be so closed minded. There is no reason to defend a very closed solution to more open one that let's You manage the way you want to use a product and gives you options.
I understand, that just plugging in the device to charge it, seems like a very comfortable solution but it's life span is shortened, it's hard to replace/find replacement battery and for me personally - I never want to play wired when it's charging

Imtjnotu

it's just an example. Any internal battery will get worse and can expand with time. Lithium batteries have not changed that much.
The ipods are not the best example since I would not want AA battery powered ipods either... and if the internal batteries in those were easier to replace, it would still be bad and not possible to get "new" replacement batteries today.
Think of it like buying a car but not being able to change the engine oil... never. Or having Your gas tank capacity shrink half after 10 years for example.
Just having a battery hatch would be great if they sold it with battery pack installed that could be swapped for AA.
Don't be so closed minded. There is no reason to defend a very closed solution to more open one that let's You manage the way you want to use a product and gives you options.
I understand, that just plugging in the device to charge it, seems like a very comfortable solution but it's life span is shortened, it's hard to replace/find replacement battery and for me personally - I never want to play wired when it's charging
When was the last time you had something with an internal battery fail and no longer took or kept a charge?

rofif

Banned
When was the last time you had something with an internal battery fail and no longer took or kept a charge?
long time with no fail aside from usb flashlight year ago.
But shorten life span? Every smartphone after 2 years, Notebooks and dualshock 4.
Instead of contradicting me stupidly, give some arguments why internal is better. Multiple times I've described pros and cons and heard no good defense arguments.
I want to use my electronics in years from now and I don't want to be plugging the controller like dualshock4 every 8 hours. It's extremely inconvenient as the battery life is short and I have to keep cable around. The xbox gamepad lasts 40 hours and after that I just flick new/rechargable batteries in.
Rechargable AA battery IS AN IMPROVED internal battery solution which You can replace no problem since the AA format is not going anywhere

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But shorten life span? Every smartphone after 2 years, Notebooks and dualshock 4.
Instead of contradicting me stupidly, give some arguments why internal is better. Multiple times I've described pros and cons and heard no good defense arguments.
I want to use my electronics in years from now and I don't want to be plugging the controller like dualshock4 every 8 hours. It's extremely inconvenient as the battery life is short and I have to keep cable around. The xbox gamepad lasts 40 hours and after that I just flick new/rechargable batteries in.
Rechargable AA battery IS AN IMPROVED internal battery solution which You can replace no problem since the AA format is not going anywhere

Inconvenience, more electrical waste, cost, etc...

Rechargeable AA tend to have a slightly different voltage than what provided by non rechargeable ones. You can use them, but will last you less and are often not the manufacturer recommended option.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Smart phone battery issues comes from its use of fast charging every day from a low battery percentage to 100% and then leaving it on the charger over night.

You don't charge or treat your controller like you do your cell phone.

All of these phones with fast chargers above 20w are the ones with short battery life's. It is the same as the all electric busses in work on. Which is why when they hit a certain percentage of charge the charger slows down tremendously overnight so it doesn't have to try and keep the batteries at 100%.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is it possible that internal batteries and user-provided batteries both have their own pros and cons, and neither is inherently a bad choice?

Debate which is better until the cows come home, I actually find it fascinating, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with either approach.

B_Boss

Wish Sony a Dualsense lab. Was a great ideia of Microsoft.

I swear MS is perfect in this regard as far as I’m concerned....it drives me insane why Sony doesn’t rip the hell out of MS’ brilliant idea here lol.

I remember being in awe (for a game console anyway) of the 360’s ability to play custom music while you played any game....that was incredible. PS3 was so limited in that regard and it annoyed me to no end.

I hope....I really hope PS5 allows the “usb music player” from PS4 somehow. I don’t care for Spotify, etc. I feel as though my personal selection is light years ahead of what would ever be available through those streaming services and without ads 🍻.

Yet another PS5 concept art:
image0.jpg

If only the artist would somehow add some very slick vents along the inner edging of the “V” (if there aren’t any!)...that would be awesome. Amazing concept either way.

Last edited:

Fake

I swear MS is perfect in this regard as far as I’m concerned....it drives me insane why Sony doesn’t rip the hell out of MS’ brilliant idea here lol.

I remember being in awe (for a game console anyway) of the 360’s ability to play custom music while you played any game....that was incredible. PS3 was so limited in that regard and it annoyed me to no end.

I hope....I really hope PS5 allows the “usb music player” from PS4 somehow. I don’t care for Spotify, etc. I feel as though my personal selection is light years ahead of what would ever be available through those streaming services and without ads 🍻.

I must confess part of this problem is not only Sony, but the fanbase as well. I get tired of asking simple things like 'refund' or option to 'gift' a friend, but no much people asked the same, but I saw less people asking the same. People was more vocal about supersampling and change psntag.
We should ask for more. And I can see so much potential of Sony making a Dualsense Lab because the nature of the design with make possible so much different patern colors. They can earn easy money just by creating that.

If only the artist would somehow add some very slick vents along the inner edging of the “V” (if there aren’t any!)...that would be awesome. Amazing concept either way.

Moogle11

Banned
Not a fan of the color scheme as I prefer a single, dark color. Fine with it otherwise. Hope the battery life is better. Was annoying to have to buy a second DS4 despite nOT doing any local MP to have two to switch between when batteries die to avoid having to play with a cable attached like it was the 90s. Wish they’d put out an AA using model as I have a ton of Eneloop rechargeables.

On Demand

Banned
Not a fan of the color scheme as I prefer a single, dark color. Fine with it otherwise. Hope the battery life is better. Was annoying to have to buy a second DS4 despite nOT doing any local MP to have two to switch between when batteries die to avoid having to play with a cable attached like it was the 90s. Wish they’d put out an AA using model as I have a ton of Eneloop rechargeables.

The white color and clear face buttons and d pad makes it look more next genish. The shape adds a future tone to it too.

Honestly, it makes other controllers look outdated. Seriously.

You can see what Sony is going for here. Can imagine what the console is going to look like.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
The white color and clear face buttons and d pad makes it look more next genish. The shape adds a future tone to it to.

Honestly, it makes other controller look outdated. Seriously.

You can see what’s Sony is going for here. Can imagine what the console is going to look like.

I actually worry a tad about what the console will look like. Since buying our first house I’ve been a lot pickpier s out keeping things neat, simple/basic and clean looking.

The entertainment center in mygame room/office is all black, as are all the things in/on it aside from the PSVR headset which sticks out like a sore thumb. I really don’t want a black and white console that similarly sticks out. Simple black box that disappears with everything else is my preference.

That said it’s by no means a deal breaker. No matter how ugly it could end up being to my eyes, I’ll get one as Sony’s exclusives are some of my favorite games the past couple of generations. At worst I could probably paint the frosted glass doors on the tv stand black to make it opaque so it’s out of sight/out of mind when it’s not being used (doors open for ventilation).

Mokus

I actually worry a tad about what the console will look like. Since buying our first house I’ve been a lot pickpier s out keeping things neat, simple/basic and clean looking.

The entertainment center in mygame room/office is all black, as are all the things in/on it aside from the PSVR headset which sticks out like a sore thumb. I really don’t want a black and white console that similarly sticks out. Simple black box that disappears with everything else is my preference.

That said it’s by no means a deal breaker. No matter how ugly it could end up being to my eyes, I’ll get one as Sony’s exclusives are some of my favorite games the past couple of generations. At worst I could probably paint the frosted glass doors on the tv stand black to make it opaque so it’s out of sight/out of mind when it’s not being used (doors open for ventilation).
Then you will wait for an all black edition, as happened with Wii, 360, Wii U... :messenger_winking:

Tomeru

The chances of your controller malfunctioning because of the internal battery before any other issue - makes your point moot imo.

Moogle11

Banned
Then you will wait for an all black edition, as happened with Wii, 360, Wii U... :messenger_winking:

I might. I’m not in a big hurry to buy a next gen console, especially if most games I want to play are cross gen for a while. I’m still on 1080p and not that fussed about graphics etc the older I get.

On Demand

Banned

Understandable if you want it to blend in. I doubt it will be anything not pleasing to look it in your mostly black setup environment. PS5 will be reasonably small, crisp white with black and gray accents. I think it can add a nice contrast to your other black devices.

I'm glad it's another color other than the same black boxes we've been getting for awhile. Consoles have been trying too much to fit into home theater environments. Losing all the fun designs and colors in the process. I like that Sony is going back to "gamey" out there, futuristic colors and design.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Understandable if you want it to blend in. I doubt it will be anything not pleasing to look it in your mostly black setup environment. PS5 will be reasonably small, crisp white with black and gray accents. I think it can add a nice contrast to your other black devices.

I'm glad it's another color other than the same black boxes we've been getting for awhile. Consoles have been trying too much to fit into home theater environments. Losing all the fun designs and colors in the process. I like that Sony is going back to "gamey" out there, futuristic colors and design.

Yeah it’s just a different strokes for different folks thing. We’re pretty basic and semi-minimalist (wife’s ton of houseplants aside but they’re clean and well organized/displayed around the house) in our interior design. So I don’t like games or toyish things.

But it could be ok depending on how much white their is. Our house and furniture are mostly black, brown and gray with white just being ceiling and trim. So a black and white console doesn’t not fit in general, just kind of sticks out (if too much white) in the home theater setup that is almost all black.

Old Retro

Arguing about battery types in this day and age

giphy.gif

Why would you want to have AAs in a controller? Always thought that was a shitty idea for the Wiimote. As far as PS controller internal batteries, I've had to replace ONE since 2008. What is so fucking hard about connecting a cable to charge your controller?!?!?

Moogle11

Banned
Arguing about battery types in this day and age

Why would you want to have AAs in a controller? Always thought that was a shitty idea for the Wiimote. As far as PS controller internal batteries, I've had to replace ONE since 2008. What is so fucking hard about connecting a cable to charge your controller?!?!?

I have no problem with it either way if the battery life is long enough. Switch Pro pad getting 40ish hours and, even better, the Wii U one that got 80ish make it all moot.

My DS4s, however, never seemed to get more than 6-8 hours and it sucks playing while connects to a charging cable IMO. I ended up buying a second one to rotate just to avoid that and that’s just wasted cash since I’ve never once played local MP this generation.

With shorter battery life I’d rather have AAs as I have a ton of Eneloop rechargeables for our Harmony remote and I’d rather swap batteries than play with a cable connected or have to shell out for a pricey second controller that I don’t really need

So I’m just hoping that the battery life is at least 20-25 hours and then I’m good even if I forget to plug it in after a couple long sessions.

Top Bottom