• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Arguing about battery types in this day and age

giphy.gif

Why would you want to have AAs in a controller? Always thought that was a shitty idea for the Wiimote. As far as PS controller internal batteries, I've had to replace ONE since 2008. What is so fucking hard about connecting a cable to charge your controller?!?!?
what is so fucking hard about replacing AA batteries and never having to connect wire?

cormack12

Gold Member
what is so fucking hard about replacing AA batteries and never having to connect wire?

You can even buy one of those charging blocks, which a lot of people already own and plug it into that as you play. Next to you. I think people still have the stigma of needing to plug into the console. You can plug it into your laptop, couch usb, a wall socket with usb, a charging block etc.

So many ways.

I dont mind the controller aesthetic. I really dislike the colours and I hope to god the console is not two tone white or anything like the concept posted before.

I always thought more recent console releases used black on first run because of cost as well. Then premium colours would come later. Unless they use really cheap plastic (Wii U)

BigLee74

The more I see the PS5 controller, the more it looks like a toy, which doesn't bode well for the actual console and how it would look in a living room.

Think I'd rather get caught wanking furiously by the in-laws than holding the PS5 controller in its default colour scheme. Less embarrassing, certainly.

Moogle11

Banned
You can even buy one of those charging blocks, which a lot of people already own and plug it into that as you play. Next to you. I think people still have the stigma of needing to plug into the console. You can plug it into your laptop, couch usb, a wall socket with usb, a charging block etc.

So many ways.

I dont mind the controller aesthetic. I really dislike the colours and I hope to god the console is not two tone white or anything like the concept posted before.

I always thought more recent console releases used black on first run because of cost as well. Then premium colours would come later. Unless they use really cheap plastic (Wii U)

I have a charging cable right next to me. Still a bit annoying to have a wire attached while playing. Wireless controllers were the best gaming upgrade for me. I just hate wires and cords and cables in general. I’m not sure there’s a technological advance I want more than something that makes all those a thing of the past.

Anyway, as I said, not a deal breaker by any means though. If the battery life sucks again I’ll just shell out for a second controller so I can rotate and not have to play with a cable in my lap.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah it’s just a different strokes for different folks thing. We’re pretty basic and semi-minimalist (wife’s ton of houseplants aside but they’re clean and well organized/displayed around the house) in our interior design. So I don’t like games or toyish things.

But it could be ok depending on how much white their is. Our house and furniture are mostly black, brown and gray with white just being ceiling and trim. So a black and white console doesn’t not fit in general, just kind of sticks out (if too much white) in the home theater setup that is almost all black.
The more I see the PS5 controller, the more it looks like a toy, which doesn't bode well for the actual console and how it would look in a living room.

Think I'd rather get caught wanking furiously by the in-laws than holding the PS5 controller in its default colour scheme. Less embarrassing, certainly.

Keep in mind you are looking at a 3D rendered controller on a white background. So the white of the controller and shape is standing out even more. I think it will look better and more natural in person.

I already love the way it looks. Actually seeing and holding it will be even better.

Moogle11

Banned
Keep in mind you are looking at a 3D rendered controller on a white background. So the white of the controller and shape is standing out even more. I think it will look better and more natural in person.

I already love the way it looks. Actually seeing and holding it will be even better.

Since you quoted me, I’ll clarify that I don’t give a shit what the controller looks like. Those go in drawers out of sight when not in use anyway. I’d just prefer an all/mostly black console to disappear into my nearly all black home theater set up. But, again, that’s also not a deal breaker by any means. Just a cosmetic preference.

Saber

Gold Member
Arguing about battery types in this day and age

giphy.gif

Why would you want to have AAs in a controller? Always thought that was a shitty idea for the Wiimote. As far as PS controller internal batteries, I've had to replace ONE since 2008. What is so fucking hard about connecting a cable to charge your controller?!?!?

I feel the same. The feeling I have is that some people think recharging with a cable is like the end of the word.
Oh no the battery is out, whatever I'm gonna do? Just plug the cable in my console or PC and no more worries or headaches. I can even play connected.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. It looks like a toy.

Jesus F Christ. XBox tower boring as fuck, PS5 controller fugly as hell. What a generation.

If you're honestly already disappointed and pissed off about such small things then I would seriously reconsider if you still should be living a life. Might wanna pick a bridge or find expose yourself to corona before next gen hits, because it might hurt you more mentally and you'll be miserable for the rest of your life. Might as well end it now before it gets worse. :p

dMxexFVO5hKaeSoA.medium

Because replacing batteries is stupid and outdated and a backwards technology we've been using contollers conneted to consoles with cables for decades?!?!?
What happens when the PS5 controller doesn't take a charge anymore and you need to replace the battery? On one platform battery replacement is simple, requires no tools and is quick and easy. Can you say the same with PS5 or PS4 or PS3?

What happens when the PS5 controller doesn't take a charge anymore and you need to replace the battery? On one platform battery replacement is simple, requires no tools and is quick and easy. Can you say the same with PS5 or PS4 or PS3?

Just replace the controller. By then it would have got so much use and would have been worn out. I usually trade in my controllers every few years and buy new fresh ones.

Just replace the controller. By then it would have got so much use and would have been worn out. I usually trade in my controllers every few years and buy new fresh ones.
I've had batteries die in my PS3 and I replaced them. I had the batteries die on another platform's controller. The PS3 battery replacement was MUCH harder. Maybe SONY on the PS5 came up with a controller with much easier battery replacement solution. Surely they wouldn't require you to replace the whole controller just because the batteries won't charge.

I've had batteries die in my PS3 and I replaced them. I had the batteries die on another platform's controller. The PS3 battery replacement was MUCH harder. Maybe SONY on the PS5 came up with a controller with much easier battery replacement solution. Surely they wouldn't require you to replace the whole controller just because the batteries won't charge.

I suspect you would need to send it to sony to replace them like with iphones. They will focus on making it as small as possible, but with packing in the tech. By making concessions for battery placement for easy access this simply won’t happen. Only recently are my ps3 controllers not holding charge, but i guess everyone’s playtime varies. I suspect if you do not play for a long period, the battery degrades. I still think the best strategy is trade in/ sell and rebuy new ones every few years at a cost of £20 or so than looking into replacing batteries on worn out controllers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
dMxexFVO5hKaeSoA.medium

Because replacing batteries is stupid and outdated and a backwards technology we've been using contollers conneted to consoles with cables for decades?!?!?
Older is not always worse. AA/rechargables have all pros of internal batteries and all pros of normal batteries.
Internal has no single advantage. It's the same but smaller battery which you can only charge with connected controller. AA solution you can charge with cable (battery pack), replace for be or charge outside of controller

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's not the point. You can open everything... But the internal battery hold less charge over time and where will I but new original internal battery after 15 or 20 years when controllers are not sold? I am an for opening and cleaning after that time as I do that anyway but try buying ps3 controller battery that's as good as original and not Chinese old warehouse stock

xool

2020 and still no inductive charging, but kept a box full of unused gimmicks like touchpad, speaker, gyro.

Priorities.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
2020 and still no inductive charging, but kept a box full of unused gimmicks like touchpad, speaker, gyro.

Priorities.

Oh yeah, spending your budget on inductive charging IS what I need out of a GAMES controller... found both gyro and speakers added to the immersion and found plenty of nice uses (remember really well the first time I heard it in action with Resogun :D).

Audiophile

I have no issue with the option to use your own standard or rechargeable batteries, but I think in this day and age there should be a rechargeable battery pack included as default. The controller is a peripheral to the console; having to buy an accessory to the peripheral to establish basic functionality common to modern devices just seems stingey at this point.

The ideal approach in my eyes (and this would go for Sony too) is each controller comes with both a modular rechargeable battery pack and a modular battery caddy in the same form factor so you can use your own standard batteries or rechargeable batteries in it...

Maximum ease of replaceability, maximum options, fundamental functionality provided up front.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

I hope the PS5 controller has a cord mode, all input and output goes through the cord and the battery gets bypassed (no charging).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
dMxexFVO5hKaeSoA.medium

Let's not pretend that plugging a cable into a controller halfway through a gaming session is futuristic technology.

Radical_3d

I bet the PS5 isn’t going to be cool and slick. It’s going to be functional for a much needed refrigeration. That or cool and slick and noisy.

mitchman

Gold Member
Well, disposable batteries aren't yet fully environmentally friendly and can contain mercury and other harmful materials. Rechargeable batteries aren't safe to dispose of either, but at least they can last for years. Producing disposable batteries in the quantity we use them also consumes a lot of resources.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, disposable batteries aren't yet fully environmentally friendly and can contain mercury and other harmful materials. Rechargeable batteries aren't safe to dispose of either, but at least they can last for years. Producing disposable batteries in the quantity we use them also consumes a lot of resources.
I know You are right and it's a waste but I can't bring myself to care about it too much really.... I put batteries in a special bin and it's not up to me what happens to them. I don't throw them in the ocean and all the people in the world using AA batteries is probably still very insignificant compared to other big industrial wasters.
As it is now, Internal lasts much shorter and even though, it can be easily replaced, most of the knock off replacements will also be stored in warehouse for years and loose the capacity.

On Demand

Banned
Sony refined the controller so damn good. DS4 looks clunky and dated in comparison. Other controllers look simple now too if i do say so myself. ;)

f91041d4-e83a-41ce-861e-4873e0c674e8_3.7fae6f754ce8fd6de13e37dfd6da4056.jpeg

PS5-DualSense-controller-scaled-e1586292001406.jpg

48539478031_515045a0c0_h.jpg

49747502797_ba4ef26976_3k.jpg

And she's thick!

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Pretty sure it's part of the design flow. DuelSense being two tone color the black is suppose to look like it extends beyond the sticks area. The curve design of the dpad and face button sections is also apart of a design flow. I like it.

Your mock up looks cool. It's just too tucked in and separated looking. Its too obvious the white parts are being filled in to the corners and the black part is its own thing.

EDIT-

I think the black part at bottom area of the toucpad lights up also.

Last edited:
The fact that I have to get wired. So this means I have to take a break. Duh... And all the internal battery degrading over time I've mentioned earlier 10 times
God damn, don't you have anything better than repeating the sane bullshit argument about internal batteries?

Do you realize almost the entire world and technology has moved past AA batteries and use internal built-in batteries instead?

It's genuinely pathetic to see someone in 2020 advocating for AA battery.

Top Bottom