• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing PlayStation Stars – An all new loyalty program

Draugoth

Gold Member
7c2015886b28f3a6329ec248e98e0f4dbed79b95.png

Throughout our company's 27-year history, we have been continually moved by how meaningful gaming experiences can create fond, lifelong memories for players. All of us at PlayStation take special joy in creating unique products and experiences that delight our fans. This includes everything from our consoles and critically acclaimed games, to community challenges such as Seize the Throne and Treat Codes, to digital and live events including State of Play.

Today, I'm pleased to reveal PlayStation Stars, a brand new loyalty program that celebrates you, the player, for being on this ever growing gaming journey with us. PlayStation Stars will be free to join when it launches later this year. Once you become a member, you'll earn rewards by completing a variety of campaigns and activities. Our "Monthly Check-In" campaign simply requires you to play any game to receive a reward, while other campaigns require you to win tournaments, earn specific trophies, or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone.
All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store.

Also, as part of PlayStation Stars, we are unveiling a new type of reward called "digital collectibles." Collectibles are as diverse as our portfolio of products and franchises. They are digital representations of things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including figurines of beloved and iconic characters from games and other forms of entertainment, as well as cherished devices that tap into Sony's history of innovation. There will always be a new collectible to earn, an ultra rare collectible to strive for, or something surprising to collect just for fun.
We hope this new program brings to mind past gaming memories while making you excited for the future with PlayStation: commemorating the gaming eras we created together, charting new paths to explore, and bringing players together for global celebrations. This is just the beginning for PlayStation Stars, and the program will continue to evolve over time. We're currently doing some early tests on this program before launching it later this year in phased regional rollouts.

We hope you'll enjoy the program once it launches. We'll be back with more updates in the future. Thanks for reading!

Saber

Gold Member
Interesting concept, but the name is trash. Looks like something even a kid can come with.
Other than that, I hope its does not contain some MTX bullshit covered with "free" paint.

Last edited:
EDIT: I guess there's real money.
MS Rewards but without any real money.

I guess it's something for trophy hunters to do for fun.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sony's messaging can be pretty irritating at times. This all sounds fine, but then they use language like "27 year history, lifelong memories, celebrating the player"... while stranding hundreds of their classic games, which we bought (often REbought) on hardware from 2006. They launch a service promising a library of classics and it's a dud.

Just doesn't seem like it would be particularly hard to actually celebrate your legacy by putting more old titles on modern systems, and even make a buck or two while they're at it.

Mr Moose

So there's little point to this? At least with MS Rewards I can get discounts on games.
All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store.
It's in the OP.

brian0057

Banned
Watching gamers willingly and gleefully throw their property rights into an incinerator is sad.
I can't wait for people down the line to complain that their games and/or content were removed without a single shred of irony.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Cool but not necessarily for someone like me. I just hope Sony recognizes that I've been with them since the ps2. I have lots of purchases under my account. For me rewards and service should come with money spent not whether I finished a game. That tends to reward ungrateful twats and promotes entitlement. Big deal.... you finished a game you bought from the discount bin or borrowed from a friend. Well, I bought day one a full price. That should get the reward. It's called customer service.

Belthazar

cool but the activities are likely going to be skewed towards casual stuff like fortnight and fifa, i doubt there are going to be any rewards for all my atelier and neptunia trophies
himouto umaru-chan reaction s GIF

It'll more likely be skewed towards PS+ games, first party/exclusive releases and maybe important releases like Elden Ring or a new GTA or something. Hopefully there's a bunch of points for getting platinum trophies games at all, not just being the first to do it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I like free stuff and will definitely give it a shot. Let's hope they aren't pretending the collectables are supply limited. LOL

These programs are great marketing tools, gives people a reason to try different games and get a feel for them. I've discovered some solid games that I would never have tried without a rewards quest.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Please work worldwide so MS up their game and make their shitty Ms rewards worldwide instead of only supporting a few countries.

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony's messaging can be pretty irritating at times. This all sounds fine, but then they use language like "27 year history, lifelong memories, celebrating the player"... while stranding hundreds of their classic games, which we bought (often REbought) on hardware from 2006. They launch a service promising a library of classics and it's a dud.

Just doesn't seem like it would be particularly hard to actually celebrate your legacy by putting more old titles on modern systems, and even make a buck or two while they're at it.

Seems like such a weird thing to be upset about.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

What, Sony being incredibly lazy about their back catalogue? Not really, it seemed like they were actually about to do something about it with the PS+ revamp and then it turned out to be a pile of nothing. I mean, it's fine, I'll continue to have my PS3 plugged in under my TV forever, it's just a shame that they can't pull their finger out and dump their classics catalogue onto the current store.

Maybe the new PS+ will look much better in a year or whatever but it was so disappointing at launch.

wipeout364

He’s right though. The ps premium support of ps1, psp, and ps2 is a joke after the way they talked about it before launch. Sony has an amazing bunch of games on PS1 and PS2 that they don’t support for reasons nobody seems to understand.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Exactly, as they ask to say loyalty, we think of the player and similar stupidities... If the most insulting thing that Sony did was what it did to Japan Studio?

And then they put a blonde Satan in charge of president...

I put the meme... I dont believe it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox has some kind of shit like this where you get points doing quests or whatever. I never cared for it. I dont even know how many points I have.

But since the PS awards thing is free, it's always good to have free awards programs tacked onto daily usage. Cant lose situation.

DonF

Meh, I have $20 that I can't redeem cause Sony rewards decided that only US IPs can redeem stuff. Even Vpns are blocked. So, I have little to no hope for this program.

DaGwaphics

Xbox has some kind of shit like this where you get points doing quests or whatever. I never cared for it. I dont even know how many points I have.

But since the PS awards thing is free, it's always good to have free awards programs tacked onto daily usage. Cant lose situation.

You should have kept up with it. It takes like 2 minutes and then you try some games, I've redeemed a free MS headset, and bought some games from the store. It's like $200 a year in free stuff.

Three

Premium socks take time.
Sock developers have to learn multi-threading too.

Why did some people read digital collectables as NFTs though. Talk about jumping to conclusions. It's probably just downloadable themes/backgrounds and skins/emotes in games.

After further reading it sounds a lot like some kind of collectables UI similar to Astrobot's collectables room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom