• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Droid X360 (PS Vita knockoff running Android)

Takao

Banned
One thing I never understood about these knockoffs - when they're THAT similar in build, isn't there SOME kind of infringement they can sue their pants off for? I mean COME ON, even the raised edges that go around the dual analog sticks, face buttons and d-pad are identical to the Vita.

It's not worth the time to sue people in China. By the time Sony would file the paper work the people behind this will have rebranded themselves as someone else and disappear off the face of the earth.

They are actually much more accurate, they just require a larger minimum area, but once that area is met there's no comparison...

Pixel density of the screen plays into it as well.

It'd be a waste on DS and 3DS, but WiiU's touchscreen has both the resolution and pixel density that the 5 pixel inaccuracy means nothing.

mocoworm

IuAre you sure this is legit? At 3:35 when the Mario All Stars is on the start screen the game starts before he hits the start button... Like about half a second before. He tries to hit the back button but the game starts and he quickly presses the start button to cover it. I think this is a video running on the device and not games.

The emulation part anyways. The angry birds stuff at the end looks legit.

I may be totally wrong though. If it is real I want one!

GavinGT

Banned
I was more looking are the advancement in that community. I thought that ps2 and xbox code could be emulated. Particularly xbox code cause that was a pentium 3 and nvidia geforce 2, Musing that it would be better to get PC code running at that point.

We know very little about the Xbox's processor, making it very difficult to emulate.

What =\ It's like a surprise half brother for the PSP. Any word on wifi or cellular wifi support?

It's incredibly sad that even a Chinese knock off has a capacitive screen, while Nintendo is too cheap to use them.
http://www.edge-online.com/features/how-hdtv-killed-rhythm-action
And does anybody wonder why the 3DS and Wii U tablet didn’t follow the trend away from resistive touch screens in favour of the ubiquitous capacitive variety? Well, you may want to ask yourself why we haven’t seen any rhythm games of the quality of Inis' DS masterpiece Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! on iOS. Current capacitive touchscreens introduce around 100ms of lag – something which interestingly, only Microsoft seems determined to improve upon. This is why using the stylus provided with the Samsung Galaxy Note feels like such an alien experience – your sketch is always one step behind, like a shadow of your movements.

How good is the emulation for SNES, and what's the battery life on this thing? I will seriously get one if the battery life is good and the emulation is near perfect.

CamHostage

The PSP-shaped ones, I think I'd prefer since the cramped handhold and tiny buttons of the Vita has been a drawback for me.

Still an interesting development. I would love to see a legit product in the Android market from a notable manufacturer (I have the Xperia Play and like it OK as a game machine, but it should have been the start of something rather than the proof case to not start anything) as these Chinese knockoff devices are tough to buy. Sometimes they're pretty awesome though, I've bought a few devices that have been worth the money. I'm interested in impressions if anybody picks one up, but I don't know if I'll be a risk taker in this case.

Weird that these Chinese knock-off devices always rush to get the latest version of Android possible onto their machines. It's cool that they do but it's not 100% necessary yet, these specs they're targeting probably aren't great for Android 4.0 but you could do a lot with them in lesser versions and could more easily hack the shit out of them too. (I don't think there's any future-proof drawbacks either in adding apps, I don't see a lot of apps that limit by OS version but maybe I'm reading specs wrong?)

KDR_11k

Of course this is illegal and might get confiscated by customs if you try to import it. Doesn't make it any less of a good thing. Sure, the copied design is a bad idea but physical controls on Android are a good thing and physical analog sticks are something even the Xperia Play doesn't have. Since the hardware in the Play is kinda dated there's a need for someone to keep making Android systems with integrated physical controls (though I can think of more convenient form factors than the Vita, the Vita is f###ing huge compared to the Play).

Since there's the Play as a big name brand physical control system there are plenty of games on Android that support physical controls (at least among those games where it makes sense, some are so designed for touch that buttons would not work). Also unlike Apple there's no rule against proudly announcing your support for third party controllers on the Play store.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It will probably sell more than the actual ps vita

rrpgC.gif

EDIT: Wait what? Eurogamer says it's actually better in some ways? (Ah, functionality-wise.)

And oh boy, I'm a bit late on the gif reaction.

Glix

rrpgC.gif

EDIT: Wait what? Eurogamer says it's actually better in some ways? (Ah, functionality-wise.)

And oh boy, I'm a bit late on the gif reaction.

Yeah, because it can play HD movies and surf the web?? That part was werid.

Izick

Looks like a classic knockoff. Looks just like the original device, but with completely shit materials and haphazard logos thrown about it. Usually the OS would be complete dogshit too, but since Android has come along, it's actually given some sort of boosted quality to these kinds of devices from what you usually expect, which is kind of funny and weird.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ugh, why is he using the analog stick to play old 2D games meant for digital input? Horrible.

That's a part of Android 4.0. The menu/clock bar also includes the on-screen navigation buttons, because since 4.0, physical navigation buttons are unnecessary.

It's possible for apps to hide all of that and run in fullscreen (apps like YouTube and Dice Player do this on the Galaxy Nexus, to allow the entire screen to be used for video playback), but these emulators probably haven't been programmed to do that.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, because it can play HD movies and surf the web?? That part was werid.

That part was particularly weird because you can do that on Vita too ... I'm going to guess based on the rest of the article it was him talking about the ability to access the Google Play store. However, given the device's poor compatibility with so much stuff I wouldn't even give that to it.

Top Bottom