• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the next generation of VR on PlayStation

AJUMP23

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PSVR is great and is only missing a strong lineup of games (respect to capcom and RE7).

hroerekr

Good to hear it from official sources.

I hope they don't leave the PSVR1 behind. It's already a niche market inside the massive playstation user-base.
It will be hard to expand if they can't show this expensive accessory will be supported for a long time.

And without expanding, will be hard to get good games.

Last edited:

Entroyp

How are people coming to the conclusion that it’s not wireless?

Edit: There you go. At least it’s a one cord setup. Nice!

Last edited:

Rudius

Glad it's happening. I'm especially excited to see the new VR controller. The PS Moves were always kind of a lame stand-in without a joystick.

I never expected it to come this year, so that doesn't disappoint me. In fact, I'm surprised they announced it so early.

Bummer that it isn't wireless, but you can't have everything. Maybe next gen.
There is no reason why they couldn't provide a wireless version as an option, for a higher price. For the base unit I think it is best to have something competent for a reasonable price.

TheMan

give me full gt7 psvr2 support
The ps4 was obviously hampered by its lack of power when PSVR came out and so looking back I understand why GT sport's VR mode as so fucking gimped. But, if the ps5 and next gen psvr can't handle a full racing game like gt7 in VR then I don't think they shoudl bother.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lol all the experts in the other thread saying psvr2 wasn't coming.
Of course it was coming. I dont get why ppl doubted it. Sony wasnt trying to throw everything out there at once.

They still havent unlocked the NVMe storage on PS5. I wonder if those geniuses also think that's not coming.

SLB1904

Banned
giphy.gif

For the love of God, keep it to the ONE cable or better yet, WIRELESS if they can pull it off.
The PSVR is a freaking mess with cables. Terrible.
this. fucking annoying i havent used mine in ages. but again people are fools to expect a wireless one unless they want 30min of battery

Tygeezy

I'll being paying attention but Quest has made it hard for me to look at any other VR solution long term. PSVR was priced great for what it was but it was very quickly eclipsed tech wise. I hope PSVR2 is more future looking. Inside out tracking better be there.
It also needs to be wireless.

Tygeezy

this. fucking annoying i havent used mine in ages. but again people are fools to expect a wireless one unless they want 30min of battery
You get two hours out of standard quest 2 using virtual desktop to wireless stream pc vr games. Wifi 6e will be out by then so they could absolutely have a wireless solution and frankly should given the market leader in 2020.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It also needs to be wireless.
Wireless is a big ask I think at this point on what will likely be a budget headset. If they could do some type of add on that would keep the cost of the headset down but give premium buyers the option, I think that would be the best scenario.

Tygeezy

I seem to remember a bunch of people saying the next PSVR headset was the reason for the WiFi6 inclusion in the PS5. Ah well. That said, I have no doubt it'll be a great piece of hardware for those who enjoy VR.
Wifi 6 doesn’t benefit vr over wifi 5. Wifi 6e does though. They could have a usb c wifi 6 e single that plugs in to the console, or do network streaming through your router like virtual desktop does on quest 2.

Last edited:

Romulus

This also is yet another kick to "VR is dead" crowd. This is a massive reinvestment by Sony.
VR isn't going anywhere. Oculus has proven that by themselves with selling nearly a million Quest 2s per month.

Termite

Delighted with this. I knew Sony would continue to support VR, but was worried they might wait until the halfway point of the console cycle again. But if devkits are going out now, a 2022 release seems nailed on.

I had four huge issues with the first PSVR:
-The visuals: Were mostly blurry PS3 quality. The PS5's power should solve this
-The move controllers: New controllers should solve this
-The resolutions and FOV being just a little worse than I'd like - they state this is being improved
-Dealing with the unit being tethered to the console - still a problem

3 out of 4 ain't bad at all. I would pay extra for a wireless version though, and I hope it's set up to work naturally on PC as this will expand their potential audience quite a bit.

Lastly, I hope previous PS4 PSVR games are made compatible with the new headset. I don't want to lose Astro Bot, Res Evil 7, WipEout or Tetris Effect.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Delighted with this. I knew Sony would continue to support VR, but was worried they might wait until the halfway point of the console cycle again. But if devkits are going out now, a 2022 release seems nailed on.

I had four huge issues with the first PSVR:
-The visuals: Were mostly blurry PS3 quality. The PS5's power should solve this
-The move controllers: New controllers should solve this
-The resolutions and FOV being just a little worse than I'd like - they state this is being improved
-Dealing with the unit being tethered to the console - still a problem

3 out of 4 ain't bad at all. I would pay extra for a wireless version though, and I hope it's set up to work naturally on PC as this will expand their potential audience quite a bit.

Lastly, I hope previous PS4 PSVR games are made compatible with the new headset. I don't want to lose Astro Bot, Res Evil 7, WipEout or Tetris Effect.
Wired is a deal breaker imo. This thing is probably a year or two out and is already inferior to the Quest.

Gamerguy84

OK would rather wireless but this is fine. I bought psvr at launch and still use it to this day. The updated res and view are very needed.

Most recently have been Beat Saber and Wipeout. I'll be trying Concrete Genie today for the first time.

Wonko_C

I buy it In 3 years.... I actually got PS vr 1 month ago
SONY GIVE ME Gravity Rush VR on PS5... or at least patch GR1 & 2 to be playable in VR.
Parks And Recreation Gimme GIF

giphy.gif

For the love of God, keep it to the ONE cable or better yet, WIRELESS if they can pull it off.
The PSVR is a freaking mess with cables. Terrible.
I understand everyone's situation is different but, the way I have set it up, I only have to deal with a single cable already (I know the earlier versions had more cables). So yeah if PSVR2 comes with a single cable then it's just the same as PSVR in my case.

Iron Man VR is very fun but I have to deal with not wrapping the wire around me with how much I spin in that game. It's just a little annoyance to me personally, and I don't care about "breaking mah immersion" (I don't belive in such an esoteric concept) but my real worry is that cables just wear down over use until they stop working, no matter how much care you put into them. Same with wired headphones, mines' just last 5-6 years if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

Arkam

Wired is a deal breaker imo. This thing is probably a year or two out and is already inferior to the Quest.
Going to book mark this one to see how poorly it ages. I am with you on the preference for wireless. Makes a much better experience. But lets not talk out our ass and say this is going to be inferior to a mobile chip powered stand alone visor.

Also lets not assume there will not be a wireless version (eventually) or a wireless adapter like HTC did for the Cosmos visor.

Termite

Do you mean you'd want a standalone PSVR with the processor in the headset (a la Quest) or that they should find a way to wirelessly transmit the data from PS5 to the headset?

Because I don't know hardware tech but I feel like the latter solution would introduce lag that would be unacceptable in a VR setting and could potentially cause nausea. Of course I could be wrong about that, I don't know.

To fully utilize the PS5's power and keep the cost acceptable it seems like the compromise is a wire. I don't like it, but I understand it.

rob305

I have a PSVR and stopped using it since i got a Quest 2. Main reason are cables.
Considering the PS5 supports WIFI 6 i'm super disappointed this still has a cable. Actually, when it was revealed the PS5 has WIFI 6 people speculated that the main reason would be for the PSVR2...

Tygeezy

Do you mean you'd want a standalone PSVR with the processor in the headset (a la Quest) or that they should find a way to wirelessly transmit the data from PS5 to the headset?

Because I don't know hardware tech but I feel like the latter solution would introduce lag that would be unacceptable in a VR setting and could potentially cause nausea. Of course I could be wrong about that, I don't know.

To fully utilize the PS5's power and keep the cost acceptable it seems like the compromise is a wire. I don't like it, but I understand it.
You get about 6 ms of added latency over wifi 5,and wifi 6 which is very small overall. Wifi 6e claims to get that down to 1-2 ms, but you do have encoding and decoding latency because you need to do compression to send out wirelessly. With a GeForce 2070 super I get 4 ms of encoding latency and the quest 2 decodes hevc at 6-7 ms. Overall I range from 30-40 ms which you just can’t perceive even in vr.

It can be done because it’s done now and works well. It’s just an extra cost issue and needing your ps5 to have a wired connection to your 5ghz router, or some sort of usb wifi 6e dongle. The headset will also need a processor to be able to decode hevc, but it’s going to need good hardware anyway if it’s going to have good tracking.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Out of interest why? What am I missing? Quest 2 lasts a good 3hrs and that’s doing all the processing. PS5 will be doing the processing task, so why would the battery only last 30mins?

Top Bottom