• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Xbox Adaptive Controller

wondermega

That is so amazing. Ridiculous that it has taken this long to see such an effort really, but good on them for finally bringing this to the mainstream.

jadedm17

Bless them for this really. So many people want to experience what we do but just cant sometimes.

Exactly, and after their blunder announcement for Xbox One, their year 2 onward has been amazing; We all just want to enjoy the short life we have how we want, and giving more people the tools to lose themselves in their hobby for some time is incredible. This is absolutely amazing and I hope Sony follows. (I'm not holding my breathe : I'm still waiting on a Dualshock Pro in line with my Xbox Elite controller.)

Exactly, and after their blunder announcement for Xbox One, their year 2 onward has been amazing; We all just want to enjoy the short life we have how we want, and giving more people the tools to lose themselves in their hobby for some time is incredible. This is absolutely amazing and I hope Sony follows. (I'm not holding my breathe : I'm still waiting on a Dualshock Pro in line with my Xbox Elite controller.)
the hardware they have put out since that og xbox one has been stellar. Updated Xbox One controller,Design Lab,Elite,Xbox one S,Xbox One X and now this. god damn

AddiF

Great product that will help people with disability to play games. Many kudos to Microsoft.

Is that the Wii nunchuk?

DESTROYA

Great job MS, your getting a lot of things done right, now work on some amazing exclusives along with this amazing controller.

iconmaster

Banned
Okay, it seems the buttons are really just large buttons, not trackpads. And the ports on the back are for connecting accessories which stand in for any Xbox input you want.

OH-MyCar

Note to all of the shitty op ed bloggers out there: that is what it means to objectively "make gaming better for everyone".

VAL0R

Banned
Awesome!

It would be great if Sony and Nintendo allowed a dongle to make this controller work on their consoles too. It's probably naïve to hope for, but it would be a great display of solidarity within the gaming world. I suppose Sony and Nintendo could release similar products, but that might take years (MS has been R&Ding this design for 3 years).

rokkerkory

Great h/w MS has been pumping out lately. Glad more gamers can game with this controller. Interested to seeing the reactions and reviews from actual folks that would use it!

BANGS

Banned
The question has to be asked... why did it take this fucking long for something like this to be mainstream?

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining or anything but we've been clamoring for this since the early 90s. I wanna praise Microsoft for making this "risk" but I have a strong feeling this will sell like gangbusters...

Alebrije

MS has always been ahead on interface devices for consoles , this is a big jump because not only helps a lot of people to play games but also people without any disability can use the controller to improve experience

Okay, it seems the buttons are really just large buttons, not trackpads. And the ports on the back are for connecting accessories which stand in for any Xbox input you want.

Which makes me wonder if we are gonna take advantage of it with a nunchuck like device and a mouse for playing.

Depending on cost does this thing make XIM irrelevent?

NickFire

The question has to be asked... why did it take this fucking long for something like this to be mainstream?

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining or anything but we've been clamoring for this since the early 90s. I wanna praise Microsoft for making this "risk" but I have a strong feeling this will sell like gangbusters...
I don't think its a stretch to assume they never saw a business justification. Regardless of how it does though, props to them for giving it a shot.

MS has always been ahead on interface devices for consoles , this is a big jump because not only helps a lot of people to play games but also people without any disability can use the controller to improve experience
M2ONbkggAETZF2tu.large

WiiRemote2.jpg

14355-kinectsensor-1.jpg

i don't think is fair to declare that "it took too long" since various console & devices in the past broaded the audience for people to enjoy games, ones that ironically enough got it's fair share of flak in enthusiast forums. Wii had an entire console from a big manufacturer focused on accessibility >;-D

Of course there's not to take merit away from what The Accessibility controller is actually doing since obviously it allows people with more marked disabilities to enjoy games. Yet we can't glance over the fact that there was alot of software on the DS and Wii platforms that allowed one handed play or for people with less finger dexterity to engage since the fingers rested in the main interaction buttons.

However, is odd that an initiative like this is not accompained by something like "eye/gaze tracking" since i consider it to be quiet big both for standard users and the special ones.

Edit: Funny enough 2 of the most frantic action games ever, Bayonetta 1&2, allowed simple touch controls that gave the opportunity for "non gamers" and people with disabilities to enjoy them.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow and i thought after making freaking XBOX OG games run in 4k xbox 360 games running in 4k all dlc FOR FREE !!!
good boy xbox couldnt get anymore for the players.

they went ahead and made it for ALL the players.

damn bless microsoft they really went from shit to hero this gen wow.

Last edited:

B_Signal

it is a bit of a surprise and a shame that it's taken this long for one of the big 3 to come out with something official, but at least accessibility is a concern now.

Good on Microsoft

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This really goes along with Phil's speech on the new direction for the company. It's really cool and I agree with him that taking all these roads will help develop a company culture that ends up producing things that are better for everyone and make the experiences that we share through the platforms better.

i don't think is fair to declare that "it took too long" since various console & devices in the past broaded the audience for people to enjoy games, ones that ironically enough got it's fair share of flak in enthusiast forums. Wii had an entire console from a big manufacturer focused on accessibility >;-D
you need the ability to hold things for the ds (or the ds itself since its so small), its also way too small for any real help, the wii you need to actually hold that let alone move your hand/arm plus have the ability to use your fingers well enough for A B and dpad...and the kinect...This is probably the furthest example of input that is aimed for people that need this device.

Pallas

This is pretty awesome, those with disabilities that prevent them from using a regular controller can hook up an arsenal of appliances for each button. While I probably won’t be using it myself, I’m glad something like this was made for those that struggle with their controllers and appliances.

It’ll make things easier for them and $100 isn’t too bad of a price either for this controller considering what it’s capable of.

That's great! I got shaky hands/arms its really bad some days but its always persistent. Regular shaky days isn't so bad but when its bad a regular controller is going like
/
\
/
\ until I drop it.
For me the Switch Joycons playing with themü seperate one in each hand no dog head plastic joining them is how I play now

Codes 208

I fail to see the big deal there. Do fans really get butthurt over such things?
Well for starters its just childish. This is neogaf, not gamefaqs or the ign boards.

Second, theres no positive thing about it ironically or unironicqlly, its just a flamebaiting jab like calling ps fans sony ponies or xbox fans xboners

BANGS

Banned
This is neogaf, not gamefaqs
You act like there's a significant difference... Neogaf actually has a much worse reputation. But that's completely irrelvant, as you said it's just a little jab, nothing worth banning people over...

Drewpee

Banned
Awesome!

It would be great if Sony and Nintendo allowed a dongle to make this controller work on their consoles too. It's probably naïve to hope for, but it would be a great display of solidarity within the gaming world. I suppose Sony and Nintendo could release similar products, but that might take years (MS has been R&Ding this design for 3 years).

This would be absolutely amazing. I am doubtful Sony would make that move but I can definitely see Nintendo allowing that to happen.

This controller is much more than I expected it to be just based on the leaked information. I didn't really understand how it would be so helpful but now I get it. That is borderline revolutionary and I hope it gets millions more into gaming. Everyone should get to experience the feeling we all have when playing our favorite games.

you need the ability to hold things for the ds (or the ds itself since its so small), its also way too small for any real help, the wii you need to actually hold that let alone move your hand/arm plus have the ability to use your fingers well enough for A B and dpad...and the kinect...This is probably the furthest example of input that is aimed for people that need this device.
This reply takes my original post out of context. It is a response to an stament made by Alebrije Just look at it again since it's in this very page:

Alebrije said:
MS has always been ahead on interface devices for consoles , this is a big jump because not only helps a lot of people to play games but also people without any disability can use the controller to improve experience.

There are various important things been discussed: lowering the barrier for people with disabilities and improving the accesability of games through more intuitive interfaces. The latter benefits everyone in general. So in this sense it's only fair to recognize and give credit to devices and systems that have done so in the past.

Now talking specifically about the quoted post and it's rebutals. The DS, Wii and Kinect actually have benefits for people with disabilities too.
  • Remember that the DS has various open "stances", so is possible to rest the system on a table and operate it with one hand. A "raison de e'tre" of the Dual Screen setup, is making interfaces more self explanatory and intuitive by using virtual buttons and the touch screen. A multitude of games supported both traditional controls and more simple touch ones. There's even a series of games: "Touch Generations" build around this concept.
  • As for the Wii, remember about the people that can use only one hand due to a variety of disabilites. The Wii Remote design facilitates one hand use and there's a variety of software that supported 1 handed controls.
  • The DS and Wii support ambidextrous controls. The Wii specifically in is normal operation mode or Nunchuck configurations is a symmetrical control setup. So is nice for left handed people to have an option to actually use the dominant hand for the more intensive game actions.
  • The Kinect has the problem of MS not actually exploiting it's potential, with that said. Obviously it increases accesabilty by allowing for more natural interaction methods through gestures. Also let's not forget that it allowed voice control for the console wich is a hughe deal for people with motor disabilities.
Hopefuly this is clear enough and helps shed light of the point the original post was trying to make.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To put the proverbial cherry on top of this....Microsoft said they are freely willing to share the tech with Sony or Nintendo...

I mean c'mon man...got dammit tearin up'...this is why they get my patronage.

Fantastically done Microsoft!

Tarkus98

To put the proverbial cherry on top of this....Microsoft said they are freely willing to share the tech with Sony or Nintendo...

I mean c'mon man...got dammit tearin up'...this is why they get my patronage.

Fantastically done Microsoft!

This is absolutely awesome. Hopefully the other companies do in fact take Microsoft up on this offer and create their own controller devices for the handicapped gamer population out there. I can see no downsides to this nor any alternative motives.
This is just good business plain and simple. Well done Microsoft indeed!

ZiriusOne

Pretty fantastic stuff. Sony should follow suit with this especially since Phil Spencer said they are perfectly willing to share the tech.

Top Bottom