• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invert Y?

Do you invert Y-Axis?

• Yes

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 38.4%

• Total voters

Ballthyrm

For anything flying i'll always invert Y.
What's sad is that we still have a lot of video games where ground control is the same as flying control.

Antwix

I believe it all started for me with playing Goldeneye 007 on N64 for hours and hours and hours. I think the controls were inverted by default iirc. I can't play with normal Y axis for anything anymore.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Used to back in the 8/16 bit days where appropriate, but after a break from gaming for a few years and coming back to PS2, haven't since.

My brain is backwards so yes I invert Y, except for M&KB. I'm also left-handed, if that means anything.

PS0ygET.gif

...Same. Correction: Your brain is frontwards, confirmed.

I also play games with invert-Y (incidentally, I'm left-handed as well). You play the games the correct way. Stay winning. :messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Definitely an age thing. I remember old control schemes having the inverted set up and it was normal.
Now that the standard has been around for over 15 years now... Pretty much used to standard.

Yes I do inverted Y.
I think it's because of PS1 and PS2 games. Not sure what the reason is but it just feels natural to me.

Inverted X on the other hand... WTF is wrong with you??

EDIT: I dont invert M&KB.

Last edited:

Rubik8

I did this on PC and through the PS2 generation. But I got out of the habit with the Xbox 360 and forward. Not sure why I made the switch, but I can’t fathom why I preferred inverted Y.

Kuranghi

I only invert in aircraft-based games but even then if there is a target on-screen (like Panzer Dragoon) I'd go uninverted.

Growing up on Amiga 500 (I wasn't a heavy child so I was able to rest gently on the keyboard) I just used kb&m at first but then I got one those wee red and black joysticks eventually for Super Skidmarks, and in that case I think inverted made more sense most of the time.

I could deal with inverted after an hour if I have no choice but I wouldn't choose to do it outside flying games.

Inverting X is insanity.

giphy.gif

DonF

Only when im required to fly I invert Y. It's natural to me that way, but in fps or any other game for that matter, no. My brain works like
Person: Normal Y axis.
Vehicle: invert that Y

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only time I played with inverted controls is playing flying games. Not sure why since I'm not a real life pilot, but I think most people(?) play flight games using real life pilot controls. Must be because the default controls are that, or they grew up playing old games that used it so it carries over forever.

But for everything else, I just use standard controls. Up is up, down is down.

Some gamers I know play shooters with inverted axis. Wow.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I used to do it back on N64 for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, then for some reason that stopped entirely. Now I can’t stand it unless it’s for planes.

93xfan

Banned
I invert Y... but only on the right analog stick. If I’m forced to use the left analog stick for looking around, I keep it normal.

Think MGS2 where you have to aim using the left stick when in 1st person mode.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I wonder what the top FPS gamers use. Are they standard or inverted? Looks like we have a slight majority of inverters here. Not sure if we're the master race, but we are definitely the cool kids (bro fist). How do the rest of you savages sleep at night, knowing you've chosen the wrong path in life? /s

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I can do both btw. Just need some time to get used to it. When playing point and click games like TWD for example it feels weird having inverted controls. I sometimes invert X when playing 3rd person games.

Last edited:
It's a mind blowing revelation to me that the majority inverts their Y axis. I do it in flight sims because it feels natural when you think of controlling an aircraft, but doing it in an FPS would drive me crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
For my whole life, and it seems like people who don't usually suck more.

What really fucks with my head is the rare times where a game comes with inverted Y by default, so telling it to invert it makes it non-inverted. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I've seen it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I can't play games that don't let you invert Y. Spent an hour stumbling through Left 4 Dead with no way to fix the controls.

JonnyMP3

People that say Inverted is based head movements do have a point.

But the reason that normal movement makes more sense is because 'Eye tracking'
Why base movement on my entire head when eyeballs move on their own?

iconmaster

Banned
So long as no one objects to the option itself, there’s no need to make this one political.

But I’ve suspected it’s younger liberals who stick with standard because that’s what the medium feeds them. 😜

NinjaBoiX

There are arguments to be made about both methods being the most logical, but I think of it as having my thumb on top of the PC’s head, so to tilt their head up I would pull the stick back. And as you can’t “twist” the stick to replicate turning the head left or right I imagine your tilting their head in whichever direction you push the stick.

And on top of all of that, it’s objectively the correct choice for flight games so it’s a “one size fits all” approach.

Hunnybun

I've a feeling inverted Y just used to be standard. I don't remember even having to select inverted before Halo, I think (my friend would play it sometimes and I always had to switch back. I think the actual option was hidden in the little diagnostic mini game at the beginning).

Goldeneye was the first fps I played a lot of and I'm sure that was inverted by default. So as far as I'm aware I just got used to playing like that and now I'm stuck with it.

Unless someone remembers better?

NinjaBoiX

I've a feeling inverted Y just used to be standard. I don't remember even having to select inverted before Halo, I think (my friend would play it sometimes and I always had to switch back. I think the actual option was hidden in the little diagnostic mini game at the beginning).

Goldeneye was the first fps I played a lot of and I'm sure that was inverted by default. So as far as I'm aware I just got used to playing like that and now I'm stuck with it.

Unless someone remembers better?
Goldeneye’s default scheme (1.1 Honey) had movement mapped to the stick and standard (non-inverted look) mapped to the c-buttons. It wasn’t good.

A mate of mine would absolutely own multiplayer for a while using the scheme with movement mapped to the c-buttons and inverted look mapped to the stick (1.2 Solitaire), so I switched one day thinking I was missing a trick and, after a couple of matches, suddenly I was competitive.

I’ve never looked back.

I feel like Goldeneye was a big eye opener regarding control schemes for a lot of gamers of a certain age, 😄

Edit: I’m not sure you could change the inversion on Goldeneye independent of their given button mappings? There was ample choice to be fair, 8 as I seem to remember? (1.1-1.4 and 2.1-2.4).

Edit 2: Didn’t the 2.1-2.4 set of mappings split control between two controllers? Only the big ballers had the cash to use two pads to control one game, haha. But I guess it was the precursor to dual analog control.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Goldeneye’s default scheme (1.1 Honey) had movement mapped to the stick and standard (non-inverted look) mapped to the c-buttons. It wasn’t good.

A mate of mine would absolutely own multiplayer for a while using the scheme with movement mapped to the c-buttons and inverted look mapped to the stick (1.2 Solitaire), so I switched one day thinking I was missing a trick and, after a couple of matches, suddenly I was competitive.

I’ve never looked back.

I feel like Goldeneye was a big eye opener regarding control schemes for a lot of gamers of a certain age, 😄

Edit: I’m not sure you could change the inversion on Goldeneye independent of their given button mappings? There was ample choice to be fair, 8 as I seem to remember? (1.1-1.4 and 2.1-2.4).

Edit 2: Didn’t the 2.1-2.4 set of mappings split control between two controllers? Only the big ballers had the cash to use two pads to control one game, haha. But I guess it was the precursor to dual analog control.

I never really played the mutiplayer that much tbh, and certainly never bothered messing around with button mappings.

Guess Goldeneye's not the reason, then.

I guess it just feels more natural to me. I'm trying to figure out when I'd even have used a dual stick controller for the first time. I think it must have been the Xbox with Halo, and like I said, that let's you choose subliminally. So maybe it was my preference and it started there.

All I can say is that it 'feels' like I'm pushing a camera or a head up to look down and back to look up. That's why it feels right.

Old Retro

Ahh, takes me back to the late 80s and early 90s where I knew inverting would mess me up. Aside from NES Top Gun and Sega arcade games, I had to go with regular controls.

4E62CD5584FD02D97B7E4CA1335E3455305EFA1D

brian0057

Banned
I never understood why would somebody play in anoher way than joystick left for going to the left, right for right, up for up and down for down.
Because in real life, using a lever or a stick that can move in four directions is inverted.
Forward is down, backward is up, left is right and right is left.
It's one of the simple machines and one of the oldest human invention.
Normal control schemes are a more recent thing.

Top Bottom