• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Investors are loving Nintendo Switch's new games (stock up 20% since launch)

Cerium

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...-software-system-2017-4-1001931158-1001931158

Shares of Nintendo are up 5.4% this week after the company revealed an extended list of upcoming game releases for its new Switch console.

The stock is up almost 20% since the Switch console was released on March 3.

In a note sent out to clients on Wednesday, Jefferies equity analyst Atul Goyal expressed his approval of the console's new game schedule, and reiterated his "Buy" rating and ¥39,200 ($43) price target on the stock.

Goyal says Nintendo has "a very strong First party game pipeline (Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, ARMS, Super Mario)."
So far, the Switch has been a huge success, surprising analysts across Wall Street.

Nintendo Switch smashed the launch weekend sales record for a Nintendo console with 330,637 units sold in Japan. Additionally, Nintendo had its biggest ever launch month with 2.4 million consoles shipped, according to Goyal, citing independent market research firm SuperData.

Going forward Goyal says, "We believe that its IP treasure trove is unparalleled and this could be monetized in several ways."

Nintendo is set to report earnings on April 27.

It's almost like compelling content + hardware that fits the way people think about and interact with technology today is a winning combination.

Back that up with excellent marketing...

I was really
not
shocked investors failed to see the appeal of Switch.

sinonobu

Banned
Switch has strong marketing + line up throughout 2017.

The concept is also way more appealing than of 3ds and wii u's.

And with no successor of Vita, and Nintendo practically combining their handheld and console library, Switch will most likely succeed.

WonderzL

Banned
It's almost like compelling content + hardware that fits the way people think about and interact with technology today is a winning combination.

Yeah, really this. There is nothing "weird" or experimental with Switch, it's just a really smart console with compelling content. I like how Nintendo is dealing with this.

Also, 2017 alone: Zelda, Splatoon, Arms, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem (Warriors), and perhaps Xenoblade. That's strong.

Ashodin

I think it's time some of GAF start realizing the Switch really is not going to be Wii U 2.

ARMS properly marketed (it has a very Overwatch vibe about it) will make the game super popular.

Stock is looking nice actually. It's taking a similar path as it did in 2006-2007, though obviously it's way too early to determine if it'll continue that way.

Next Thursday's numbers will be very interesting.

What new Switch games were revealed? Did I miss something?

It's referring to the Direct.

Actually...

Goyal says Nintendo has "a very strong First party game pipeline (Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, ARMS, Super Mario)."

So it's referring to the aggressive schedule of new game releases, probably spurred on by Nintendo releasing major titles every month and a half or so from now til July, punctuated by big games from third parties (Minecraft in May, the only month without a big first-party release on the calendar until August).

It's also easy to imagine other games that could fill the four months that don't currently have 2017 games to fill them (Super Mario Odyssey is probably a lock for Nov or Dec).

- Fire Emblem Warriors (announced)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (announced)
- Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch (rumored)
- Super Mario Maker (rumored)
- Animal Crossing (inevitable with the mobile game coming)

Ōkami

Nintendo Switch smashed the launch weekend sales record for a Nintendo console with 330,637 units sold in Japan.
Wii, Wii U and Super Famicom had bigger launches.

Also worldwide the launch of the 3DS was also bigger than the Switch (assuming Super Data is correct, which we shouldn't do)

39200 yen is also closer to $360, what's up with the innacuracies here.

Peltz

Back that up with excellent marketing...

I was really
not
shocked investors failed to see the appeal of Switch.

Pachter said it would be successful... just saying... he has been right a few times now.

When are we going to learn that stock really doesn't mean shit

never.gif

Unison

It was but without a proper release date...

Now with the proper release date for Minecraft, Switch has one big game every month until Splatoon 2.

Zelda - Mariokart - Minecraft - Arms - Splatoon

I guess it's mostly about perception...

Mario Kart is going to be the main driver for sure... Splatoon 2 will be a similar force in Japan only, probably.

Falchion

I think Splatoon 2 will be really strong for console sales, lots of people are waiting for something like that with a ton of replayability.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Always good to hear positive news re: the gaming industry! I hope none of this bullshit cynicism never rubs off on me.

Ōkami;234277141 said:
Wii, Wii U and Super Famicom had bigger launches.

Also worldwide the launch of the 3DS was also bigger than the Switch (assuming Super Data is correct, which we shouldn't do)

39200 yen is also closer to $360, what's up with the innacuracies here.

He's very likely referring to the target price of the US listed ADR (8 Japanese ords to 1 ADR) - 39,200 / 8 / USDYEN Exchange rate brings you somewhere close to 43 dollars.

sinonobu

Banned
I guess it's mostly about perception...

Mario Kart is going to be the main driver for sure... Splatoon 2 will be a similar force in Japan only, probably.

Minecraft was the only million seller for Playstation for a while (at Japan) until FFXV released.

I think Switch version will do really well.

Switch is great, games are great, it's doing great.

After spending the day with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I can see why investors are so happy. Switch will have a crazy Christmas.

Unison

After spending the day with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I can see why investors are so happy. Switch will have a crazy Christmas.

I definitely agree that it's set up for an absolutely stellar Xmas especially if it gets Smash or Pokemon added to the lineup.

When are we going to learn that stock really doesn't mean shit

I don't even know where to begin to understand what you're trying to say here? It directly affects the health and value of the company.

It's a direct parameter of the market capitalisation of the company. If your shares are worth shit, your company is worth shit.

Also, as an investor, if I buy 10 thousand dollars worth of stock, it directly affects me if they go down or go up by even 5%.

OmegaFax

I definitely agree that it's set up for an absolutely stellar Xmas especially if it gets Smash or Pokemon added to the lineup.

I kind of think Animal Crossing might be their ace card. Fire Emblem they've had a broad strategy for. They released on mobile, 3DS, and announced future 3DS and Switch games (a Dynasty Warriors game + a Switch FE mainline game).

If Animal Crossing is their next mobile game, I kind of expect/hope they'll carry the momentum with more than just an Android/iOS game. I'm not expecting Nook Musou Conquest ... but maybe they were making a Wii U game and carried over development to Switch (like Zelda).

I kind of think Animal Crossing might be their ace card. Fire Emblem they've had a broad strategy for. They released on mobile, 3DS, and announced future 3DS and Switch games (a Dynasty Warriors game + a Switch FE mainline game).

If Animal Crossing is their next mobile game, I kind of expect/hope they'll carry the momentum with more than just an Android/iOS game. I'm not expecting Nook Musou Conquest ... but maybe they were making a Wii U game and carried over development to Switch (like Zelda).
Surprised Animal Crossing skipped Wii U (outside of amiibo Festival), I mean we even had an Animal Crossing plaza with HD assets.

Top Bottom