• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invizimals for PSP

firen said:
ZOMG Pokemon in real life! This is exactly what I thought DSi was for!

Ohhh can you imagine a MHP3 that would add this tech for some extra in JP? Well then again they apparently have had this camera over there for awhile and they didn't add it to MHP2G.....

Darkpen

Banned
Just saw this. If they drop the price of the PSP, or at least bundle both the game and camera w/ a PSP at its current $160, then I can imagine it doing well, but otherwise...? :/

Captain N

Relaxed Muscle said:
Is that girl fingering that strange monster?

Anyway, I can't see this being succesful, but seems like a nice try....

I could see it working out for them, but at the same time they tried something like this with The Eye Of Judgment. That didn't turn out very well.. :( You will see that they are going for a younger age group with this though and that could help sell to kids. They wouldn't mind going shopping with their mom if they can bring this with them and look for creatures in the store.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This would have made so much more sense if the Go had a built-in camera. Now they've got to ship camera peripherals for two seperate pieces of hardware.

womp

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon."

- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

:D

thaOwner said:
This would probably have been a hit if the PSP had a camera built onto it from the get-go(no pun intended).
I wish this was the case as well. At least for some parity with the DSi.

thaOwner

_dementia said:
I wish this was the case as well. At least for some parity with the DSi.
YUP. If they want this to succeed, they should give away the game for free bundled with the camera.

Binabik15

I´m so glad I wasn´t hallucinating when I saw some monsters fight on a desk during the PSP software montage :lol

Seems cool, but gameplay will probalby more kids friendly and not that much fun over time.

rSpooky

Pretty inventive approach to using the camera.
I can see kids love the crap out of this, when they see it.. (ADVERTISEMENT!!!!!!)
but what about the step in cost? assuming you allready have a psp you need a camera.
what is the $$?

Mayeb I can use it to motibvate my kids to clean their bedroom :p ( yes , clean up and you will find more creatures.. honestly)

That's the thing with Sony, it's always an add-on and during that generation never as successful as it's competitor with the tech implemented standard.

gtj1092

Judging by the video this is aimed at kids but I really want to try it. Thinking they will just bundle the game and camera.

PjotrStroganov said:
That's the thing with Sony, it's always an add-on and during that generation never as successful as it's competitor with the tech implemented standard.

Examples?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
gtj1092 said:
Judging by the video this is aimed at kids but I really want to try it. Thinking they will just bundle the game and camera.
Duh, you can't play the game without a camera

anyhow it's a great concept, can become more popular than pokémon, ... Who am I kidding, nothing will ever beat Pikachu :D

Kingsora

Graphics Horse said:
It's been on sale in the UK for a over a year maybe. It's called the Go! Cam, which is funny, as it won't connect to the PSP Go.
It won't??? Doesn't it have a usb... Huh say what how can I connect my PSP Go then to my computer... o_O

Kingsora said:
It won't??? Doesn't it have a usb... Huh say what how can I connect my PSP Go then to my computer... o_O

Actually I'm not sure, I read it didn't, but I've not seen a picture of the top yet.
Edit: It's definitely got USB from the specs, so either the port's still there, or it uses the slot underneath.

max-pain

Kingsora said:

PSP Go doesn't have a standard USB port (like the older PSPs), it uses a "multi use connector", so the old (standard) USB cables won't work.
And you can't connect the camera anywhere.

gtj1092 said:

Examples?

HDD and network adapter for PS2. Headset for PS3.

Maybe on a software level: XMB.

Adding features later, especially when it comes to networking and communicating, prevents seamless standardisation of features.

Kingsora

max-pain said:
PSP Go doesn't have a standard USB port (like the older PSPs), it uses a "multi use connector", so the old (standard) USB cables won't work.
And you can't connect the camera anywhere.
What the hell is a multi use connector, does that mean I geat a wire when I buy me PSP Go and be able to connect it to my pc?

And here a pic of all the sides from the PSP Go

photos-sony-playstation-psp-go-2.jpg

I don't see shit on it :(

CamHostage

Flunkie said:
No go, then no go. Go should've had a built-in go camera for on the go.

Exactly my sentiments. A camera on Go would have opened up a lot of gameplay opportunities and also played into the PSP's PMP aspirations. You look at their Wand demo and their success with EyeToy (on PS2 in Europe, at least) and now Invizimals and you wonder if anybody at Sony ever talks to each other.

And honestly, how much could it have cost to put a camera on PSP Go? The DSi has TWO cameras and hardly costs more than a regular DS, couldn't Sony have stuck on one for $250?

Right now, the finer details are being worked out for a U.S. release of Invizimals, but I do have some tidbits. Most likely, the game will be bundled with the PSP camera. Because PSP games now have to be UMD and downloadable, there's talk of bundling the camera with a voucher code in stores as well. Of course, the PSP go changes the entire setup of the system and is incompatible with the current PSP camera, but I've been told that wheels are in motion for a workaround.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/991/991695p1.html

I wonder what the work around could be

Once you have the creatures in you pocket, you have a few options for what you want to do with them. During my demo, the developers went into a viewing mode and whipped out a little armadillo so that he was on the trap on the table. As the little guy strutted on the pad, a developer snuck his finger in from the side and gave the Invizimal a poke. The pocket monster jumped to the side and turned around to acknowledge the finger. When another developer walked up to the table and shouted, the Invizimal leapt into the air, fell to the table, and played dead.

portable eyepet!

El-Suave

Got my copy today bundled with the camera.

Works great on my original PSP. I'm only 15 minutes into into it, captured the first creature and did the first battle. The mechanics seem easy and fun, a bit more action oriented than i.e. Pokemon's battles are. The game comes with a little sturdy cardboard card that works with the camera like Eyepet does. That probably makes it less portable, but we're talking PSP with attached camera so portability isn't the system's strong point to begin with.

You have a strong attack, quick attack and two normal attacks which are mapped to the face buttons and you defend with a shoulder button. All those drain your stamina which replenishes slowly, but you have to make sure you don't run out.

Production values seem to be pretty good, it has had lots of FMV so far. I love the Geiger counter sound the PSP makes while you're scanning for creatures.

I can't say anything about if or how good it'll be in the long run but the (very) first impression is quite good.

El-Suave

Absolutely confirmed - the two actors I've seen so far are quite hilarious. I don't know if they're voluntarily funny, but the Japanese dude from "PSP R&D in Tokyo" definitely is. He's in that Youtube vid, too.

Top Bottom