• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury devs patch out non-PC jokes and force all employees & contractors to undergo mandatory sensitivity training

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not planning to pirate it, and personally I have no interest in supporting a game made by developers who have bent the knee (by doing so they fuel the monster - it's a bit like paying kidnappers a ransom, it just leads to them doing more kidnappings). So, I won't be buying or pirating the game. However, the option exists that people can buy the game and get the proper version through the magic of piracy. Of course there's also a decent chance that some clever modders will get the job done, let's hope they do so that piracy is unnecessary.

I'm not saying you are. I just get a bit sick and tired of people pushing piracy whenever we have one of these threads. I get tired of the justification. Just don't play it., dnd if it bothers you enough, get a refund.

It's not piracy if you already bought it and you want to keep the uncensored/unchanged version.

giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Holy fuck, imagine being this pathetic.

Seriously, I could have my balls removed, take a keen interest in soft furnishings and consume copious amounts of bromide, and I’d still be less of a disgusting belly crawling worm than these dicks.

Awful look.

You know a society has reached peak pussification when it can sustain and accommodate idiots like this.

Also ‘Sensitivity training’. Fucking lol, what a scam.

It is peak comfort and privilege.

When the brain no longer has to worry about fighting for survival, it starts to fight itself.

Humans are a species of conflict, always. Some people have been privileged with ultimate comfort so damned much in the first world, that they don't know how to handle and cope with their internal conflicts, thus they project it on the rest of the world. It's an illness.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What i don't get is this:

- A small minority gets outraged and complains about a game/movie/whatever.

- The dev doesn't want that controversy so they cater to them by apologizing/changing their product.

- This leads the large majority to outrage/complain instead. This also leads to other problems since the large majority actually affects sales, let alone their complains being justified.

- The dev does nothing. They just continue to cater to the minority.

Let's say you can't win. You will get complains whatever you do. But why not choοse the less damaging one? Why cater to the whiny minority and not to the whiny majority (since all you see is people whining). Why not just cater to the ones that won't affect your sales? It's so weird to me how companies seem to care more about catering to a tiny minority than actual profits. I never thought i would live to see such thing.

The minority has access to journalists. The majority does not. Basically classic political move. The few rich/influencial have more power than the poor majority/voice of the people. Welcome to real life.

nkarafo

The few rich/influencial have more power than the poor majority/voice of the people. Welcome to real life.
The few rich have the power of money, which is the highest power there is.

In this case, the majority are the people who buy the games so they are the ones holding all the money. Which means they should have the power.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

- The dev doesn't want that controversy so they cater to them by apologizing/changing their product.

- This leads the large majority to outrage/complain instead. This also leads to other problems since the large majority actually affects sales, let alone their complains being justified.

Let's say you can't win. You will get complains whatever you do. But why not choοse the less damaging one? Why cater to the whiny minority and not to the whiny majority (since all you see is people whining). Why not just cater to the ones that won't affect your sales? It's so weird to me how companies seem to care more about catering to a tiny minority than actual profits. I never thought i would live to see such thing.
It’s because the majority is largely made up of males and males are evil ergo they would rather lose money than be perceived as courting evil.

Simples.

And extremely fucking dumb.

nkarafo

they would rather lose money than be perceived as courting evil.
That's the weirdest thing for me.

All my life i thought all companies (small or big) are about profits. And how they are greedy and stuff, how they only care about money.

All this time they didn't care about other things like deforestation, pollution, suffering of animals, suffering of workers having to deal with harsh conditions and overtime with minimal pay, etc, and every other damaging shit they cause in order to increase profits.

And you are telling me all this time all it needed for them to stop caring about profits was a bunch of gay and trans people being offended? It's not even about their rights, it's just them finding something uncomfortable/offensive. You are telling me that's what everyone waited for to make themselves look like they are good and virtuous?

Last edited:

Dada55000

the answer to that is that HR&PR departmens are filled with SJWs who stack the departments with like minded woke shits over time,
they vehemently agree with/are Ree tier loonies when there's even a fart of a boycott,
they lie about this (potentially) affecting the suits bottom line when 99% of times it doesn't and the suits naively(lol) defer to HR/PR so they get to do whatever the fuck they want,
resulting in stuff like this, pandering to worthless minority of complainers, who usually lie and slander to begin with, self-censorship/flaggelation and virtuesignaling
then when the actual bottom line affecting response happens by normal people/the majority,
HR/PR circle wagons, ban the discussion as much as possible, lie that it's harassment by meanies and pretend they are totally irrelevant and not losing a shitload of sales at all
suits do nothing, since they cannot comprehend the self destructive nature of woke HR/PR deliberately misleading them(and themselves) to push their ideology over sales, and HR/PR tells them everything happened as best it could

so yeah, not all complaints are treated equally, irrespective of scope and damage, the threat of bad PR and loss of sales is copout used selectively, 3DRealms won't do shit for example, despite bending over backwards immediately prior in what is essentially the same scenario, and this time they are actually suffering losses

near as I can see, the only real way to tackle this is to cause such big response, through heavy loss of sales and vocally decrying Ree and its ilk, that the suits realise by themselves what's going on, how to actually correct it and that they're being gypped by their woke PR/HR departments

so once again, you stay silent, you ain't getting shit, you put up with this shit and proudly state you're above this and still buy the product, fucking A, you're a sucker taken for granted

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
This "resetera" site is full of low iq loud mouths with zero tolerance for opinions other than their own, while they scream how accepting they are.

This era of mentally ill people that get offended by jokes is a joke.

Normal person would just laugh or think "this joke isnt for me, but maybe it is for others" instead of wanting to ban it for all, because they have mental issues with anything.

And too bad that devs patch it, leaves only choice to pirate it without patch or just skip it and they lose my coins now

Last edited:

nkarafo

the answer to that is that HR&PR departmens are filled with SJWs who stack the departments with like minded woke shits over time,
they vehemently agree with/are Ree tier loonies when there's even a fart of a boycott,
they lie about this (potentially) affecting the suits bottom line when 99% of times it doesn't and the suits naively(lol) defer to HR/PR so they get to do whatever the fuck they want,
resulting in stuff like this, pandering to worthless minority complainers, who usually lie and slander to begin with, self-censorship/flaggelation and virtuesignaling
then when the actual bottom line affecting response happens by normal people/the majority,
HR/PR circle wagons, ban the discussion as much as possible, lie that it's harassment by meanies and pretend they are totally irrelevant and not losing a shitload of sales at all
suits do nothing, since they cannot comprehend the self destructive nature of woke HR/PR deliberately misleading them(and themselves) to push their ideology over sales, and HR/PR tells them everything happened as best it could

so yeah, not all complaints are treated equally, irrespective of scope and damage, the threat of bad PR and loss of sales is copout used selectively, 3DRealms won't do shit for example, despite bending over backwards immediately prior in what is essentially the same scenario, and this time they are actually suffering losses

near as I can see, the only real way to tackle this is to cause such big response, through heavy loss of sales and vocally decrying Ree and its ilk, that the suits realise by themselves what's going on, how to actually correct it and that they're being gypped by their woke PR/HR departments

so once again, you stay silent, you ain't getting shit, you put up with this shit and proudly state you're above this and still buy the product, fucking A, you're a sucker taken for granted
That seems like a reasonable explanation. Thanks.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The few rich have the power of money, which is the highest power there is.

In this case, the majority are the people who buy the games so they are the ones holding all the money. Which means they should have the power.

Journalistic influence is something the publishers fear and as such they have more power than most users. What are the users who bought the game going to do? Most can't refund the game and newer people might miss the controversy because journalists won't back us up.

I hate the outrage culture coming out ResetEra and other shitholes as much as everyone else but is there actually any homophobic stuff in the game?
"We need legislation" is the phrase that destroyed Western Civilization. It epitomizes the laziness of the modern Westerner who has no desire to do anything, but rather desires a powerful earthly authority to handle everything. In search of that "solution" the Westerner ultimately grants so much power to the authority he becomes its slave.

So, whats the solution then? Let the hate mobs run wild and destroy people's lives? Instead of preaching about Western Civilization and its pitfalls why don't you come up with a valid solution of you own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is why the rest of the world thiks that americans are weird morons.

Yet there are other countries that go even harder with this with a much more uniform policy through governance.

(Canada, UK, Germany, France, Scandinavian countries, soon to be Australia, etc.)

It's not that standard in America in comparison to that.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
This is why the rest of the world thiks that americans are weird morons.

it's mostly boils down to don't be an asshole. don't say stupid shit, don't stereotype
I was genuinely interested in this game but was waiting until it was in a pretty finished state (which I assume it is now?). It looks dope like Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood but I don't want to support this type of bullshit. Imagine if Duke 3D was censored in this fashion... It's embarrassing.

They literally only removed a lotion container that had "Ogay" written on it and there isn't evidence it was because of some mob. Do you think maybe the dev and publisher wouldn't have sanctioned it if they were aware? This reminds me of the nontroversy over Total War Rome 2:

didn't stop a bunch of babies from getting egged on by a misleading video

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
also oneangrygamer talking to readers on his site

maybe not the best guy to judge .

I don't like OAG - they are the regressive right version of Kotaku/Polygon/Waypoint (which are regressive left in nature), but that article was the only one I was able to find that listed the censorship and silencing that the moderator was pushing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
it's mostly boils down to don't be an asshole. don't say stupid shit, don't stereotype

They literally only removed a lotion container that had "Ogay" written on it and there isn't evidence it was because of some mob. Do you think maybe the dev and publisher wouldn't have sanctioned it if they were aware? This reminds me of the nontroversy over Total War Rome 2:

You are also ignoring the forced apology/forced sensitivity training/silencing of people speaking out against 3D Realms actions. Why are you trying so hard to minimize the issue and ignore the real reasons people are not happy?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not sure what ppl think of Ian but his review got banned/no longer shows however some other negative reviews regarding reera have not though his was the most popular I think.

If anyone who bought the game here left a negative review mentioning resetera, can you pls confirm?

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

also oneangrygamer talking to readers on his site

maybe not the best guy to judge .

Seems like a perfectly articulated 4chan post tbh
You are also ignoring the forced apology/forced sensitivity training/silencing of people speaking out against 3D Realms actions. Why are you trying so hard to minimize the issue and ignore the real reasons people are not happy?
Because that's the line they are trying to push now to minimize the real stupid shit about brainwashing your employees and funding some scheme.

Ion Fury is not being censored
We've become aware of some confusion about whether Ion Fury will be censored in response or relation to recent controversy.

The answer is no; we are only tweaking a rarely seen decorative sprite and removing some offensive text found outside the game world in leftover map data.

The upcoming patch otherwise includes typical bug fixes and balancing changes.

This may sound crazy but the devs and publisher must have been aware of a bottle of lotion that said 'OGAY' on the label. It's their own game. lol.

You're entitled to think how you'd like, just like I am. Any censorship of any kind pisses me off personally and I never want to support it. Hey, that's just the way I am. And how dare you call me a baby. You need to complete some sensitivity training because you are upsetting me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not sure what ppl think of Ian but his review got banned/no longer shows however some other negative reviews regarding reera have not though his was the most popular I think.

If anyone who bought the game here left a negative review mentioning resetera, can you pls confirm?

I mean, he really isn't reviewing anything. His review ban is completely justified. The issue is that there are PLENTY of other reviews that bitch about similar things on the other side (false accusations of transphobia, bigotry, etc) that are not banned. Steam needs to get its act together and ban those as well.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean, he really isn't reviewing anything. His review ban is completely justified. The issue is that there are PLENTY of other reviews that bitch about similar things on the other side (false accusations of transphobia, bigotry, etc) that are not banned. Steam needs to get its act together and ban those as well.

So how would you, as a consumer who bought the game and played, deal with the fake outrage besides user reviews? If resetera can manipulate the media what do you suggest everyone else do to combat these issues?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So how would you, as a consumer who bought the game and played, deal with the fake outrage besides user reviews? If resetera can manipulate the media what do you suggest everyone else do to combat these issues?

I would get a refund and use social media to let my voice be heard. I would review the game proper and talk about the changes, how detrimental I may/may not find them, but I wouldn't use the review section as a means to just whine about other forums or discord posts.

Like I said, I expect Steam to also ban the reviews made by the folks who frequent ResetEra, whining about things that are not in the game - just as they did with the Ian Miles.

Shai-Tan

Banned

I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not in support of witch hunts for political opinions. I've argued that repeatedly in threads triggered by what an actor in The Last of Us 2 wrote on Twitter (read up on those threads if you would like to see the hypocrisy). I also did not mean to imply I endorse the morality clause 3DRealms mentioned in their apology and I would point to the extensive writing on that topic in the book publishing world.

edit: for example

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I've been on a Bloodhound Gang kick lately and listening to their Hooray for Boobies album. Imagine if patching albums was a thing... I mean, they did have clean versions of records, but they also had explicit ones. The explicit albums were not patched out.

They should just have a "REEtarded edition" digitally and call it a day.

Ivory Blood

I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not in support of witch hunts for political opinions. I've argued that repeatedly in threads triggered by what an actor in The Last of Us 2 wrote on Twitter (read up on those threads if you would like to see the hypocrisy). I also did not mean to imply I endorse the morality clause 3DRealms mentioned in their apology and I would point to the extensive writing on that topic in the book publishing world.

edit: for example

That's a bit off-topic, but what the fuck. Publicly condemned behavior? Do they write these rules to be as unprecise as possible, so they can fit whatever they want in there?

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's a bit off-topic, but what the fuck. Publicly condemned behavior? Do they write these rules to be as unprecise as possible, so they can fit whatever they want in there?
It's intent is - writer does, says or writes something heinous they can cut their losses but what it also amounts to is they can cut their losses if twitter mobs go after them and review bomb the goodreads and amazon whether or not the average person would think it's heinous

Last edited:

NickFire

Agree with everything you wrote. That was not even close to a review and should be deleted. Anyone who reviews the devs / publisher instead of the game is committing a flagrant foul in my book. Two wrongs do not make a right, nor do they make a review.

FireFly

Right, but all of that stuff is part of a PR message. We have no idea what any of that any actually involves. And 3DR are banning all discussion from their forums, not just that which attacks them specifically.

I think the real reason people are angry has nothing to do with what was changed. They're angry because a group of people they don't like, and are ideologically opposed to, have managed to get the developer to change the content of a game. So I guess you are right that reasoning won't achieve much because people's primary reactions are emotional.

But IMO if you look at this rationally, neither the content that was removed, nor the original developer comments, were a big deal. It is just a shame that seemingly such a great game has been overshadowed by another pointless culture war.

Fuz

Banned
Why exactly are people calling the retardera crowd "paedophiles"?

You don't win a war with falsehood and slander.

Katsura

And send employees on reeducation and donated to an organisation that has a somewhat questionable agenda, at least in some areas

Last edited:
The sad part is this sentiment has been written on the wall ever since sci-fi began making commentary on the rise of socialism/communism. The push for state-mandated "unity" and artificial "equality" has been the central conflict to countless short stories and novels and movies. Metropolis, 1984, Strange New World, THX 1138, Fahrenheit 451, They Live, etc etc etc

Just to correct you on a tangential but none-the-less important point, none of those works of literature or movies (bar perhaps THX 1138, I haven't seen it) was a warning about "socialism".

Especially 1984. Orwell also wrote Animal Farm and Road to Wigan Pier. He was a committed "democratic socialist", but wary of the dangers of too much power anywhere. To present 1984 as a warning on "socialism" is akin to something the Ministry of Truth would attempt. ;)

One of Orwell's peers - Aldous Huxley - wrote to congratulate him on 1984. Huxley was a noted author also - he wrote "Brave New World", which I think you meant rather than "Strange New World" which was a Gene Roddenberry tv movie / pilot starring John Saxon, the cool golf playing, stiff kicking motherfucker out of Enter the Dragon (everyone in that movie was a cool motherfucker).

The point I'm leading to is - for anyone still reading at this point - the issue around Ion Storm is nothing to do with socialism. Or capitalism. Or god.

It's about increasingly polarised black holes drawing in everything they can around them, releasing as much energy as possible, and tearing apart anything that in any way defies their pull. It's Ion Fury toady. It'll be something else tomorrow.

Poor Voidpoint. So many years. So many people. So much damage from wavering a little in the middle between two increasingly irreconcilable poles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom