• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury devs patch out non-PC jokes and force all employees & contractors to undergo mandatory sensitivity training

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ll never understand why so many of you get baited by and respond to EDMIX EDMIX ’s posts.

His entire persona is just to pop into a thread and shit on the popular opinion with continuous walls of texts .

Like, that is literally all he does. Some people call it “contrarian”, I call it “a loser with too much time on his hands”. He’s a troll.

Word to the wise: Save the wasted minutes and just scroll past his posts like I do.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I’ll never understand why so many of you get baited by and respond to EDMIX EDMIX ’s posts.

His entire persona is just to pop into a thread and shit on the popular opinion with continuous walls of texts .

Like, that is literally all he does. Some people call it “contrarian”, I call it “a loser with too much time on his hands”. He’s a troll.

Word to the wise: Save the wasted minutes and just scroll past his posts like I do.
"His entire persona is just to pop into a thread and shit on the popular opinion with continuous walls of texts .

Like, that is literally all he does. Some people call it “contrarian”, I call it “a loser with too much time on his hands”. He’s a troll."

I'm more triggered by his lack of proper quoting to be honest.

Last edited:

Madonis

The primary message here is that it's not about the censorship, it's about listening to and responding to an unhinged vocal minority that resides on resetera. It sets a negative precedent for the industry which not only reinforces their behaviour but also gives them ammunition with which to further their agenda.

By responding in an even more unhinged manner? I think that's also setting a negative precedent, but clearly not the one you're talking about. It makes presumably adult gamers look childish. Maybe companies will just steer clear of the whole thing, in the end, but not out of "respect" for gamers. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Lmao I was wondering what the hell people were talking about because I just could not see his posts. Turns out he was on my ignore list ever since I joined the site. I'm pretty sure he's not trolling, he genuinely seems like a tool.

It doesn't seem to dawn of some people that the whole "us vs. them" thing wouldn't exist without these agitators. This thread would never have existed without these couple of agitators disrupting something that should be left the way it was. It was not by volition, by choice that the developers announced changes; it came from the outside. No person who respects artists and their art, culture, whatnot would sit well on this.

GHG

Gold Member
I am not going to be too shocked when the dust finally clears and it turns out that the majority of normal people who were interested still bought the game and aren't making a quasi-religious and/or existential crusade about it, in either direction.

Sure, I can accept that some people are taking this far too personally, as if their way of life were somehow threatened because a developer changed 0.01% of a game. But, objectively, it isn't. I don't think that's wise and, if anything, in the end all we have is this: two sides throwing tantrums for increasingly weaker reasons.

Here's the fundamental problem:

The publisher showed what type of behaviour they are willing to respond to. So in order to get their attention another group of people are behaving exactly the same way (for a different cause), hoping for a similar outcome.

It's not correct but it's basic human psychology and it's what commonly happens when people see other people/groups getting rewarded for certain types of behaviours.

They could have said "no, first treat us with respect and then we can have a conversation about this" but instead they threw their dignity out of the window and responded in a way that they thought would appease those who were screeching at them.

What you're seeing now is the end result and it's a mess.

Last edited:

D-Dude

He was the same on N4G, back in the days when it was an "okay" site for some gamenews. Glad I have the ignore button here.

McCheese

Bloody hell, what a backlash.

Review bombed, forums up in arms, 3drealms have had to lock down their discord, folks are requesting refunds, and the developers are telling folks to go ahead and pirate it.

But at least the soap isn't offending anyone.

This is what a victory for social justice looks like.

EDMIX

"shit on the popular opinion" ?? Ok, I'm just giving my view on it, Popular, unpopular I don't really care. That isn't trolling, that is simply that we have different view points about stuff, you telling me thats unreasonable and impossible or something?

Soooo some times I disagree, some times I agree, pretty sure we are all free to do that. That would be like me saying to everyone else that disagrees with me that they must be "trolls" or "losers" or just "shit on popular opinion" etc. Don't get so sensitive over it, we just disagree thats all.

GHG

Gold Member
By responding in an even more unhinged manner? I think that's also setting a negative precedent, but clearly not the one you're talking about. It makes presumably adult gamers look childish. Maybe companies will just steer clear of the whole thing, in the end, but not out of "respect" for gamers. Quite the opposite.

My response to your previous post above addresses a lot of this.

Unless a company has a lot of resources to pour into PR/Communications training I actually think they would be better off if they steered clear of interacting with their audience via real time two way communication methods (message boards, chat programs, social media, etc). There's too much that can potentially go wrong, and when it does go wrong the people involved are often Ill-equipped to deal with it appropriately.

Developers need to be more confident in their work and they should be brave enough to create the things that they want to make first and foremost. Then it's up to customers to decide if they like it or not.

Instead what we get today are a lot of games that fall into the "design by committee" category and much of that is borne out of there being too much external noise/pressure during the planning and creative processes. Some of these guys think they can make the most money by trying to please absolutely everyone and it's the wrong way to go about it.

Last edited:
Resetera bunch of cunts and weirdos actively witch-hunting in that thread, trawling through old threads on obscure discussion forums.

I mean one dev was guilty of saying 'I think if parents decide their child is trans at birth they shouldn't have children'

I fucking agree with him! And I'm more liberal than most.

EDMIX

Developers need to be more confident in their work and they should be brave enough to create the things that they want to make first and foremost

What if that is what is happening right now and the developer felt what was in the game went too far themselves?

So those arguing to support the developers freedom to do something also need to respect their choice to remove what they feel just. So if they felt it went too far and the content was better off removed, its still their game, their choice and they want to make that change in the game. Their choice to create should be respected no different then their choice to remove something that they agree may not fit what they are working on.

"So in order to get their attention another group of people are behaving exactly the same way (for a different cause), hoping for a similar outcome" Ok, and that "group" is free to do that, doesn't mean the developer is going to change all things in the game cause that.

So you completely ignored the choice of the developer by assuming they are some how just blind or dumb to all logic and rationality or something... Again...once more "So if they felt it went too far and the content was better off removed" As if....IF THEY AGREED that the content had no place in the game themselves. I don't think they are just doing this just because, they are doing it because clearly they agree themselves that it can be removed and they are ok with that. That is their choice. That doesn't mean any and everything can be altered in this game by any group, only if the developer clearly agrees that something can change based on that feed back. I don't get this either or, all or nothing, hard edge approach to this. You folks telling me they are not allowed to choose what they remove or not ,they must remove all things that anyone asked because this one situation?

At their discretion. If some other group says the game must be a anime rhythm game, doesn't mean with this same approach that will happen. At least be logical and reasonable with this, if you agree that the developer "should be brave enough to create the things that they want to make", also understand that means things they want to remove, add etc. Thats up to them. Them doing this doesn't mean they'll add and remove anything. At least respect em enough to realize this choice doesn't suddenly mean it can be changed to anything.

Keep in mind, I don't disagree with most of what you stated, like this "Some of these guys think they can make the most money by trying to please absolutely everyone and it's the wrong way to go about it". I agree with this 1000%, simply that I'm not sure this might apply to this developer. I think the comments removed from the game is something they felt ok removing. I'm ok with it so long as the developer is.

Last edited:

GenericUser

The game went from 95% liked to only 70% and dropping. I don’t think I have ever seen a fanbase respond this fast and hard before. This is really sad to me because I found the game great and this will severally effect sales preventing a sequel.
It's kinda sad yeah, because the game is pouring over with love and imagination, but sacrifices must made in order to keep these SJW morons at bay. It's is good that the people with common sense stand together to defend themselves against this stupidity. I play Ion Fury right now and I think they should have went even further with the "insensitive" jokes and humor. I played shadow warrior recently and THAT game was in another league when it comes to offending SJW-idiots.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
you're blaming the people complaining about ree for ree getting companies to pander to them

that's so stupid I can barely comprehend it

here's the accurate answer to that hypothesis:
wrong
no

Mods are reviewing this thread as a whole but as a general rule dont edit quotes like this. If you wnt to quote but shorten it just put elipses ... or something, dont change the text like this.

Doczu

jwBCZPr_d.jpg

Congratulations 3DRealms! You played yourself like a damned fiddle

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
100% of them? Every last member? Are you sure? Do have a link or some poll or anything confirming that? Keep in mind, the apology isn't only for that one site man. That would be like saying a company shouldn't apologize for something cause Hariseldon won't be satisfied....

I took a look at the thread on that site and many people are saying they are happy it was removed, they will buy the game, recommending it etc. Is that ALL the folks on that site? No, but you and I are not the only folks on this site.

You continue to be disingenuous, which is not new for you. Every time these 'outrages' happen ree continues reeing long after the apology, sacking, grovelling and forced sensitivity training. Anita will inevitably shill her services of course. It's a protection racket. Why would you apologise to a protection racket? Nope, I think it's safe to say that you either have your head in the sand or you're trolling.

iNvid02

The first part of Brutal dev's post is so hilariously spot on; before this, the "drama" was contained to resetera, and now with them trying to appease these people its on the front page of every gaming website

It sucks for the devs, but its an important lesson that should be learnt for the wider industry; don't bend the knee and appease these fuckers, you're giving them more power

crowbrow

Banned
Reading through the ERA thread it seems that anyone who disagrees with what happened is possibly one or more things;

1. Snowflake.
2. Oversensitive moron
3. Incel
4. Nazi
5. White Supremacist.

Among other things. I think the reason they do this is because the recurring narrative I've seen around Resetera is that it's the only good place on the internet. Everywhere else is a festering wasteland of garbage.

In that case it becomes pretty easy to dismiss any and all criticisms or disagreements coming from places outside of Era since Resetera is the only place where good people hang out.

I'll admit that I used to buy into the idea myself because NeoGAF/Era was pretty much the only place I frequented. But after I started becoming disillusioned with Era after starting to pay attention to the cracks I noticed that this was one of the most frequent things I saw in any contentious threads.

The constant othering of people outside the site as the unwashed and confused/racist masses. Everyone outside the site being a big Nazi/incel/white supremacist army waiting to pounce. So any kind of issue has them turning whoever they disagree with into the worst things imaginable so strawmanning arguments from people outside the site becomes very palatable since they don't deserve to be represented fairly after being smeared. Question this and you get banned and lumped into that group as well.
Yep, they function like a cult. That's why they need to control everyone and everything that comes from outside. Cults need airtight selective control to protect their insanity.

crowbrow

Banned
I think the comments removed from the game is something they felt ok removing. I'm ok with it so long as the developer is
And that would have been completely fine if it came from the devs initiative (Not the publisher). But the fact that it came from a reaction to resetera's tantrum is what makes it a problem. They're legitimizing era's insanity and giving them power by doing it.

Saruhashi

Banned
Doom Eternal devs basically ignored these same idiots when they were reeeeing over the mortally challenged joke and they basically went away. They feed themselves from manufactured outrage, once they reeee over something enough they basically move on. The same with THQ, granted THQ apologized but they didn't accept the apology and went on reeeing how they wanted people fired. THQ didn't bend and they went away. They are like toddlers throwing tantrums for a while and then getting distracted by the next shiny offense they can find. The best strategy is just to ignore these people.

The thing that troubles me most though is that, while the people developing Doom and the folks at THQ probably know their companies are big enough to ride out the storm, smaller developers and publishers cannot do this.

You can even see it in their own threads over at the asylum. THQ might have fucked up but they are responsible for some huge IPs that people simply are not going to boycott over some minor nonsense that they already owned up to.

Doom is just a massive name in gaming so it really doesn't matter. "There's a new Doom coming out? Fuck YEAH!" Even if there was a big controversy normal people are going to say "who cares, I WANT NEW DOOM!"

Smaller devs and publishers pushing new IPs have to work much harder to get their game out there and noticed and bought and played. Word of mouth is always going to be a big part of that.

So if these dickheads are targeting and going after developers over this kind of rubbish then it's a bad spot for the developer. They basically lose either way.

Look at the carry on with Mordhau. The usual suspects bitching and moaning with no real understanding that this is a smaller game with a smaller dev team so for them to properly police the community means more employees working more hours for an unspecified amount of time. So say they have to pay 2 people 31k per year to censor players and ban players and deal with appeals etc etc then they need to sell a few thousand extra copies of the game in an environment where people are whining about how toxic their game is.

Big developers and big name games can definitely just ignore them.

Smaller devs have a real dilemma on their hands if the beady swiveling eye of Retarded Sauron turns on them. After risking so much to get their game made and out there, while knowing that getting good sales and positive buzz is going to be another battle, they are faced with this Forum of Clowns that wants to tear them down because someone got their feelings hurt.

It's not like Doom or THQ when people will just go "shut the fuck up, you shower of lego-eating hermaphrodites, I am buying the game". There is a real danger that negative buzz will put people off. When your game might struggle to find an audience this is a big issue. Especially when talk about your game is shut down or tainted by this "controversy".

On the other hand if the dev does bow down to the hate mob it just makes other people think "nah, I am not going to give you my money after watching you placate and pander to these immature assholes".

They can't win and other developers will be looking on and thinking "ok we need to tread very carefully".

These video game activists are never going to go away and, in my opinion, this will continue to hurt the indie scene.

One of the good things about indie games is that the developers have a bit more freedom to engage with their audience and can use their own personality and life experience to bring people to their game. Personally, I will definitely buy a game and give it a chance if the devs seem like cool people who deserve a chance. Plus I get a new game out of it so it's all good. Stuff like this makes me think that all that could go away and indie devs just become exactly like all the AAA talking heads.

Indie development really should be like the "punk rock" of the videogame sphere but it can't be because of these socially awkward dipshits who want to control every aspect of everything just incase somebody somewhere is offended by the content in the game or the opinions of the developer.

Unless the game is something like "Lucius The Non-Binary Alien From Planet Wheelchair Fights Depression And Cancer At The Same Time With A Rainbow Dildo Up His Ass" then THAT'S revolutionizing the medium.

mcjmetroid

You really think this "damage control" is going to make a difference to these people?

You might as tell them to go fuck themselves. I'm willing to bet you'd be more sales from that.

Shifty

Why even waste the pixels when the ignore button is right there?

Save your mousewheel finger a little effort :messenger_beaming:

but knowing that Voidpoint kowtow to the REEsetEra demand
It was 3D Realms that bent the knee, Voidpoint are under the thumb of their publisher and likely have no say in the matter.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You continue to be disingenuous, which is not new for you. Every time these 'outrages' happen ree continues reeing long after the apology, sacking, grovelling and forced sensitivity training. Anita will inevitably shill her services of course. It's a protection racket. Why would you apologise to a protection racket? Nope, I think it's safe to say that you either have your head in the sand or you're trolling.

His entire MO is to be disingenuous and ignorant while poorly painting all his opponents as awful people in comparison. Only to run away and block people as soon as they call him out on his bullshit. I don't think he is trolling, but I do think he lacks any care to actually discuss like an adult.

Do these people even have studies?

I sat in a few "gender studies" courses and they are literally nothing more than ideological brainwashing. The courses do not teach fundamental scientific principles. They literally never mentioned or referred to the scientific method. You are taught to believe and think a very specific way.

nkarafo

It's not like Doom or THQ when people will just go "shut the fuck up, you shower of lego-eating hermaphrodites, I am buying the game". There is a real danger that negative buzz will put people off. When your game might struggle to find an audience this is a big issue. Especially when talk about your game is shut down or tainted by this "controversy".

On the other hand if the dev does bow down to the hate mob it just makes other people think "nah, I am not going to give you my money after watching you placate and pander to these immature assholes".
But no matter how loud they are, resetera members and other snowflakes are just a tiny minority. They can't hurt a studio if said studio simply ignores them. In fact, it may even be beneficial if the studio even opposes them.

See Kingdom Come. I do believe that half of this game's success is how the developer not only didn't bent the knee to the SJW whiners, he even opposed them. The controversy from this generated a lot of respect from the crowd that really matters, the gamers, the people who buy games, the huge majority. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge amount of sales were from people responding to this controversy by supporting the developer.

And look at the first Ion Fury threads, before the developer apologized, look at how many users posted they will support the developer only because they opposed to the resetera whiners. And now look how much larger the backlash is that they changed sides. In order to appease to the small loud minority, they pissed off the majority and only now it hurts them sales/profit wise. Not to mention the huge review score dive from the review bombing. Oh and let's not forget how even now, resetera still isn't satisfied (they never are) so it's not like they would ever earn some sales from that forum. Most aren't even gamers to begin with.

This is not a lose-lose situation. There's clearly a winning side and it's not the resetera side.

Last edited:

CoolZombie

Neo Member
This is absolutely pathetic. When will people learn that you never apologise or back down to these idiots? "Mandatory sensitivity training"? What the fuck is happening to this world...

Digity

This is absolutely pathetic. When will people learn that you never apologise or back down to these idiots? "Mandatory sensitivity training"? What the fuck is happening to this world...

Standard stuff for anyone that works for a company worth a damn. I had to do sensitivity training for my job the very first day lol. It really amounts to nothing.

Roitorb

Video games are dead, and overly-sensitive groups are collectively holding the murder weapon.

This is yet another reason why I’m retreating to retro, non-internet connected video games. They come from a time when developers could make pretty much any game they wanted, and people’s “fee-fees” weren’t hurt by it. Sure, there were times when video game violence was called into question, but those times were infrequent.

Now, any group of purportedly maligned individuals can posse up on social media, gain favor with the liberal/SJW-controlled “games press” group to get a wider platform... and POOF! Games get changed on the fly, followed by either “sensitivity” wastes of time or mass firing/exodus periods.

There’s no hope for the modern video game industry. None. Zero. Less than zero, actually. It will continue to be driven and governed by the overly-sensitive, who will constantly and aggressively demand that games be the way THEY want them to be. They’ve gained allies in all the right places to ensure compliance.

It’s sad to see the mass of quivering, spineless, soulless jelly that the video game industry has become, kowtowing to the minority that social media and “games journalists” have given unfortunate rise to.

I’d say it’s happening in the movie industry as well. Look at Sonic? Ok he looked like ass but if that’s how the director and producers thought he should look then release it like that. If you have the ability to be able to have creative control over something, have fucking creative control over something!

Doczu

They keep digging.

CLGPGYU.jpg
"I legitimately like what we replaced it with (...)" Sounds like "i legitimately like my wifes decision to cut my balls off and replace them with rubber prosthetics (and the fact that it's payed by her boyfriend)"

Edit: Did Voidpoint replace their Twitter PR person with an NPC bot or did 3DRealms take over their PR handling, cause this sounds like they got repogrammed and neutered during their mandatory sensitivity classes.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
"I legitimately like what we replaced it with (...)" Sounds like "i legitimately like my wifes decision to cut my balls off and replace them with rubber prosthetics (and the fact that it's payed by her boyfriend)"

Edit: Did Voidpoint replace their Twitter PR person with an NPC bot or did 3DRealms take over their PR handling, cause this sounds like they got repogrammed and neutered during their mandatory sensitivity classes.

Definitely sounds like they were taken over. Either by someone within the dev team or by the publisher. Compare the multiple tweets before that was very anti-SJW versus the ones that seem to be promoting SJW censorship.

crowbrow

Banned
Definitely sounds like they were taken over. Either by someone within the dev team or by the publisher. Compare the multiple tweets before that was very anti-SJW versus the ones that seem to be promoting SJW censorship.
I heard they are paying Anita Sarkeesian with food stamps for every tweet.

All this nonsense makes me even angrier and sadder at the same time. Was so looking forward to support the initial product. Just because a couple of nobodies who were granted power by the very developers I would've loved to support. Will leave this thread alone for a while. Thanks guys, for all the great posts in this thread. (y)

Saruhashi

Banned
But no matter how loud they are, resetera members and other snowflakes are just a tiny minority. They can't hurt a studio if said studio simply ignores them. In fact, it may even be beneficial if the studio even opposes them.

See Kingdom Come. I do believe that half of this game's success is how the developer not only didn't bent the knee to the SJW whiners, he even opposed them. The controversy from this generated a lot of respect from the crowd that really matters, the gamers, the people who buy games, the huge majority. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge amount of sales were from people responding to this controversy by supporting the developer.

And look at the first Ion Fury threads, before the developer apologized, look at how many users posted they will support the developer only because they opposed to the resetera whiners. And now look how much larger the backlash is that they changed sides. In order to appease to the small loud minority, they pissed off the majority and only now it hurts them sales/profit wise. Not to mention the huge review score dive from the review bombing. Oh and let's not forget how even now, resetera still isn't satisfied (they never are) so it's not like they would ever earn some sales from that forum. Most aren't even gamers to begin with.

This is not a lose-lose situation. There's clearly a winning side and it's not the resetera side.

Well, all I can say is that I hope you are right. The whole thing just leaves me feeling jaded and I don't see it getting any better.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't get it. Context.

There was an edgy joke in early Brutal DOOM that was removed at a later date as times changed. The creator also mocked someone that seemed to be constantly try and gain attention by acting out, in this case with threats of suicide. That is from a cursory glance anyhow.

Top Bottom