• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury devs patch out non-PC jokes and force all employees & contractors to undergo mandatory sensitivity training

Shifty

We won. The OGAY stays. Fuck censorship.
Hooray! I wonder if they'll be canceling that frivolous donation now as well. (Doubt it.)

I have to give 3D Realms a great big FUCK OFF with this "we stand together" garbage. It was them that pushed Voidpoint into following the instructions of Stride, their PR company, and caused this whole goddamn mess by kowtowing in the first place.

Bunch of pathetic goddamn cowards. I'll stan for Voidpoint because they made a brilliant game, but 3DR can take a long walk off a short cliff with the way they've behaved here. They've forgotten the identity they built their brand on, and it shouldn't take two consecutive blow-ups to make them remember it.

Last edited:

zenspider

We need Ogre.

9mFQwAM.gif

Gaming took the route of wrestling: there wasn't anything more cool and testosterone-driven than it, now you have people actually excited for vanilla midgets like Johnny Gargano.
We don't need sensititvity training, we need bullying squads. I totally know how bad bullying can be, and we definitely need it, the lack of it is very much responsible for the current state of affairs.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The “Fagbag” comment that was outside the geometry of a level is still censored and removed, and the $10,000 has still been given to the LGBTQIA+ foundation, and the employees are still going through sensitivity training. GamesIndustry.biz confirmed it via tweets, but Polygonmanaged to grab a statement from one of the Voidpoint developers, who told them…

“However, the soap bottle will not be removed.
“The use of the word “f*gbag” in an area that was inaccessible without hacking the game, and was added by one developer without approval from anyone else, was removed a few days ago. We once again apologize for this text as it does not reflect the values of 3D Realms or Voidpoint.

“Jokes at the expense of marginalized communities will not be present in future games published by 3D Realms. However, a portion of our community made it loud and clear they felt removing ‘Ogay’ was censorship and should be protected by free speech. Voidpoint wanted to listen and we respected this decision.”
So this means that basically the capitulation is still in effect, only the “Ogay” soap bottle censorship was reverted. It’s like one step forward but three steps back, and in the end ResetEra still came out on top with the higher score. Worse yet is that according to Voidpoint’s statement, they’ll be self-censoring to avoid offending “marginalized communities”, so don’t expect any edgy jokes in future games unless it’s against straight, white males.

raduque

If someone were to parody a Gillette can of shaving cream and wrote "cishette" instead would that be a slur against cishet people?

Retardera wouldn't have a problem with this at all, actually. In their world, it's A-OK to slur non-trans binaries who don't have a mental illness.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm reading the resetera Ion Maiden salt thread, just hilarious. I also checked out the reviews on Steam! Ion maiden is doing really well.
Edit: Read this shit it is hilarious.

Last edited:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but anyone honestly bothered by Fagbag being removed needs to get their priorities straight and learn to pick their battles. The OGAY bottle was an intentional art asset, a part of their artistic expression. Therefore you can make a strong argument that those calling for its removal are calling for censorship. Fagbag...was not. It was never meant to be left in, it was never meant to seen and it's not even within playable bounds. The censorship argument simply doesn't apply to the Fagbag message and if I had to guess they'll probably just remove the room in it's entirety...because, as I said, it was never meant to be left there.

Acidizer

Banned
No need to try "ruin" him (that takes a concerted effort only SJW's undertake) but at least people who he is preaching to should know that he's a hypocrite imbecile. Let's face it, he is happy to try tarnish someone for doing the exact same thing he has. The old "can't remember, if so I apologise unreservedly" shite.

He's part of the toxic cunt brigade.

Last edited:
The review on Steam went from MIXED to MOSTLY POSITIVE. I guess it shows REEsetEra goons don't actually buy games, and their numbers are tiny compared to actual gamers.

The overwhelmingly vast majority of negative feedback on Steam (and other major video game communities that were aware of this controversy) was in direct response to Ion Fury's publisher and/or developer caving in to censor content because of extremists on the left spectrum.

No one likes extremists on either side. They're vocal, sure, but the vast majority of the population aren't extremists.

Yea, don't do this dude. We are not ResetEra so don't push this childish bullshit.

Childish to fire an actual homophobe? It would be childish if If we fought with the same guns, but this is not the case, unless you think he was also joking. I'm not going to endorse doxxing, attacking, and other reesetera tactics upon this man but some eyes on his actions would not hurt.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Childish to fire an actual homophobe? It would be childish if If we fought with the same guns, but this is not the case, unless you think he was also joking. I'm not going to endorse doxxing, attacking, and other reesetera tactics upon this man but some eyes on his actions would not hurt.

Because it's a minor slight in the grand scheme of things, and hardly worth setting someone's world ablaze over.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You are openly advocating to try and get someone fired, literally the same thing that ResetEra does.

Madonis

Yea, don't do this dude. We are not ResetEra so don't push this childish bullshit.

I was trying to drink a glass of water and this statement just made me chuckle.

I would say "pushing childish bullshit" has been literally happening on both sides,

The overwhelmingly vast majority of negative feedback on Steam (and other major video game communities that were aware of this controversy) was in direct response to Ion Fury's publisher and/or developer caving in to censor content because of extremists on the left spectrum.

No one likes extremists on either side. They're vocal, sure, but the vast majority of the population aren't extremists.

Which is, in and of itself, also an extremist move on the right spectrum. Not a very smart nor mature reaction either.

My take is most people don't care about this particular subject either way. The review-bombing squad might be larger and certainly louder than the initial complainers, but it's still not the majority of the players.

Last edited:
Which is, in and of itself, also an extremist move on the right spectrum. Not a very smart nor mature reaction either.

My take is most people don't care about this particular subject either way. The review-bombing squad might be larger and certainly louder than the initial complainers, but it's still not the majority of the players.

Oh I agree that isn't not smart, not at all. Nothing about this controversy is even remotely close to being smart, it's extremely silly.

I don't agree with labeling the individuals which gave negative feedback in response to the situation a 'review-bombing squad' composed of extremists on the right spectrum. Grouping them and pointing a finger at them is very convenient, but it's a grossly unsubstantiated generalization. I also think i was wrong on the label myself, it may be the case that a large portion of the individuals which took action for censorship aren't extremists on the left spectrum, i went with that label because of the content of their posts on Steam and on ResetERA, which described their reasoning which to me seem self-evident at first glance. There is nothing self-evident that the retaliation against censorship has anything to do with the right extremists, not even close, as far as i'm concerned. What i believe is self-evident is a distinct dislike of the idea that extremists caused the publisher/developer to cave in, which isn't just on Steam, but on Youtube as well.

I agree, i don't think most people care at all, there's actually very little awareness regarding this subject as it is. That's why i said that the vast majority of the population aren't extremists.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I'm inclined to say it was an in joke between friends, not worth ruining a career over, but it is hilarious.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think they did the right thing... I mean, they couldn't roll back from what they promised before so they keep it, tho people just want blood from "the others"...

The thing is that they weren't strong enough from the beginning because being in that position doesn't seem to be ease at all, so they promised something to a group of people, but when they meditated better about the matter, they changed their mind tho they already promised something and as they can't give everything, at least they will what they feel is fair to each part of the conflict (whatever that means)...

Just a matter of getting trapped by ignorance and lack of skills in PR

I think they did the right thing... I mean, they couldn't roll back from what they promised before so they keep it, tho people just want blood from "the others"...

The thing is that they weren't strong enough from the beginning because being in that position doesn't seem to be ease at all, so they promised something to a group of people, but when they meditated better about the matter, they changed their mind tho they already promised something and as they can't give everything, at least they will what they feel is fair to each part of the conflict (whatever that means)...

Just a matter of getting trapped by ignorance and lack of skills in PR

the funny thing is watching them to try justify 'both' positions as some kind of deeply held principle.

they transparently flipped once they realised it was costing them money from refunds and review bombing. money was the ONLY thing that caused both decisions.

Kataploom

Gold Member
the funny thing is watching them to try justify 'both' positions as some kind of deeply held principle.

they transparently flipped once they realised it was costing them money from refunds and review bombing. money was the ONLY thing that caused both decisions.

It's ok by me, I don't see why, unless it's literally dead or alive situation for people, companies shouldn't take decisions based on anything else than money, that's their ONLY reason to exist and getting outside those bounds is extra-limiting their role (like trying to "educate" people, WTF?)

Raven117

Gold Member
We don't condone campaigns to actively get people fired over twitter words or game design.

That is what morally bankrupt people do.
That’s really not very clear. (I’m not kidding). If you are against mob justice, then just say that. Saying “twitter words” leaves open the possible of other mobs for other reasons.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Raven117

Gold Member
I did not think I had to spell it out, and it was self explanatory. But here...

Not going to tell you your business, but its not sufficiently clear the policy of NeoGaf on mob justice. (I'm not trying to be a jerk here, Im trying to help). How you have it written leaves wide open the possibility for condoning mob justice depending on the situation.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not going to tell you your business, but its not sufficiently clear the policy of NeoGaf on mob justice. (I'm not trying to be a jerk here, Im trying to help). How you have it written leaves wide open the possibility for condoning mob justice depending on the situation.

It is completely clear, you just can't read apparently. Mob justice of any kind is not allowed, end of story.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
It is completely clear, you just can't read apparently. Mob justice of any kind is not allowed, end of story.
We don't condone campaigns to actively get people fired over twitter words or game design.

That is what morally bankrupt people do.
I assure you, this is not clear.

The issue is with "fired over twitter words." What does this mean? It leaves open the possibility that Neogaf could actively try to get someone fired over something that is NOT twitter words. One could easily take the position that if in the event neogaf condoned mob justice, it was not on the ground of twitter words, but the underlying issue behind the twitter words.

Its a dumb way to say it and you, apparently, can't critically think about what things are actually saying.

I really am not trying to be a jerk here. Just suggestion that the overall point of a limitation on mob justice is not being made sufficiently clear in that post.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
I assure you, this is not clear.

The issue is with "fired over twitter words." What does this mean? It leaves open the possibility that Neogaf could actively try to get someone fired over something that is NOT twitter words. One could easily take the position that if in the event neogaf condoned mob justice, it was not on the ground of twitter words, but the underlying issue behind the twitter words.

Its a dumb way to say it and you, apparently, can't critically think about what things are actually saying.

Did you click the link?

What you quoted was in context to this thread. The link I gave you was elaborating upon it, stating all types of harassment campaigns, since I had the foresight to know there would be at least one person, and here we are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom