• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury |OT|: Maiden Heaven!

DNHYDsD.png

PUBLISHER: 3D REALMS | DEVELOPER: VOIDPOINT | GENRE: FPS | PLATFORMS: PC (PS4/XB1/SWITCH DUE LATER)

gnYOEnI.png

LGXlkJX.png

4lnuLqW.jpg

While Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison earned her codename defusing bombs for the Global Defense Force, when evil transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes the members of his cybernetic cult onto the streets of Neo DC, she knows it’s time to start causing explosions instead of preventing them.

Her quest to slay Heskel leaves a trail of carnage throughout huge, multi-path levels filled with gigantic explosions, more secret areas than we can count, and inhuman foes behind every corner. There’s no regenerating health here; stop taking cover and start running and gunning!

GzbbW5u.png

Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) is a 2019 First Person Shooter developed by Voidpoint and published by 3D REALMS. Ion Fury runs on a modified version of Ken Silverman's Build Engine and is the first original commercial game to utilize the engine in 19 years, the previous being "World War II Gi". Ion Fury is built on EDuke32, a fork of Build engine which supports modern operating systems while also implementing a broader range of features. Three of the greatest FPS games of the 90's were built on the original build engine, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood, all of which have all recieved re-releases as of late, so if you're in the mood for some 90's kickbacks with balls to the wall visceral action you can't do much better than looking into any of these games. As somebody who grew up with these games as a child, seeing more games like this, Dusk, and Amid Evil coming out with a focus on intertwined, complex maps and hectic, meaty gunplay feels like a dream come true!

O02Zj9J.png

bomb.gif

98c4efa0d7e3213f58362b1f8a6b1d7c9122f69b.gif
b2f488eb367ce1ed08787d5345a8468a935225fd.gif

09827184687bdf5e011e6b294a78289a5d02480b.gif

BBGJQO2.png

99YSjXF.jpg

kmKD4AE.jpg

0nBQ93B.jpg

CxT2IO1.jpg

dACJ43e.png

76IIbpq.png

DumdgBR.png

PURCHASE HERE

Last edited:

GenericUser

I was just getting into doom level building the other day and I *hope* this game wil inspire a few people to try out mapster32 (level editor for ion fury) or doom builder 2. I will play this game for sure, it looks super super fun. Probably the best game this year right after RE2make. I love the style, I love gameplay.

Loke

I was just getting into doom level building the other day and I *hope* this game wil inspire a few people to try out mapster32...

The problem with Mapster32 is that it relies on you to memorize all of the hot keys and combinations. It doesn't have a real user interface like more modern level editors. So in a sense it's very archaic in its design which will put off a lot of users unfortunately.

Amazing OT Juke Joint Jezebel Juke Joint Jezebel :messenger_beaming:

I immediately "liked" your excellent thread.

...And then I read this comment that you made:

Favourite quip I've heard so far is her calling the scientist antagonist a "Bald Bitch". Take that, men with male pattern baldness! Yowch!

First I was like...

opbOMs7.gif

And then I was like...

3ascFpb.gif

...And then I un-liked your OT. Don't hate me bro. I have the typical software developer bald patch. You attacked my weak point for massive damage.

I'm still buying this game though (y) :messenger_beermugs: & thanks for creating a cool thread for this game.

Last edited:
Is this officially out now?? I still see early access on the steam page.

Out in about 4 hours apparently. The game didn't have a midnight release window.

Amazing OT Juke Joint Jezebel Juke Joint Jezebel :messenger_beaming:

I immediately "liked" your excellent thread.

...And then I read this ^ comment that you made.

First I was like...

opbOMs7.gif

And then I was like...

3ascFpb.gif

...And then I un-liked your OT. Don't hate me bro. I have the typical software developer bald patch. You attacked my weak point for massive damage.

I'm still buying this game though (y) :messenger_beermugs: & thanks for creating a cool thread for this game.

Hey, I did say "Yowch!" at least! Take solace in the fact that you can always resort to the bald/beard combo if need be, that's a surprisingly badass look!

Last edited:
I've been on the hype train since last October. It has blown up these past few days so I'll see how that translates in sales.

All I want is consistent level quality unlike Duke Nukem which dips massively, and good multiplayer (not part of launch).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played the first 4 levels

The level design is so much better then ANYTHING i played in years.

It's actually kinda depressing how shit modern shooters are in level design.

This is a masterclass in level design.

If you like duke nukem 3d or old school pew pew..

Buy this game NAO

Helios

Played the first level. Gorgeous game, shooting feels amazing. Good level too, very open. Had a few problems with full-screen and sometimes the animations makes switching between weapons annoying. But other than that, it's great.
Also lots of references. Laputan Machine.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'll buy it on GOG later when released, screw DRM on something like this... but I'm unhappy looking at the system specs. What's the point of returning to a classic engine like this if I can't truly run it on old school hardware? There should be an alternative build for classic DOS, with all the upscaled features removed.

EDIT: come to think of it, once the GOG version is out, I'm betting it would be possible to extract the "wad" equivalent files / assets for the old engine and load it all into an engine running on pure DOS.

Last edited:

Helios

Fuck spiders. But more importantly, fuck flying spiders !
I'll buy it on GOG later when released, screw DRM on something like this... but I'm unhappy looking at the system specs. What's the point of returning to a classic engine like this if I can't truly run it on old school hardware? There should be an alternative build for classic DOS, with all the upscaled features removed.

EDIT: come to think of it, once the GOG version is out, I'm betting it would be possible to extract the "wad" equivalent files / assets for the old engine and load it all into an engine running on pure DOS.

Nikodemos

It's actually kinda depressing how shit modern shooters are in level design.
People who have spent most of their professional lives designing corridor levels (for corridor shooters) would find it difficult to design a roaming-map style level. Especially one with any notable amounts of verticality.

Last edited:
I've played 6 hours already (damn!) and...move over RE2make, game of the year 2019 coming through! It's...it's perfect. It's hard. It's fast paced. It's sprawling. The levels are visually interesting. It has a great atmosphere. It's everything that has been missing from first person shooters since Half Life went and innovated the genre killing off stuff like this all those years ago.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I blame Halo for the corridor shooter trend, even tho its associated mostly with Half Life 2.

And yes Halo had some super open levels but they were mostly giant fields with some giant slopes, giant rocks, and giant buildings. Still more straightforward than anything in Duke.

So many references and jokes to pick apart in both the environments and the voice lines, here's just a few highlights from the first couple of levels so not to spoil the rest!

So, right out the gate we got TWO penis puns in one spot!

JFa0xq2.jpg

w95ppyz.jpg

More penis related wordplay.

lLUmDws.jpg

Commando (1985) - "Let off some steam, Bennet"

PQpuaDt.jpg

The original Doom, a reference to the chapter "Thy Flesh Consumed".

hwBd65J.jpg

Willy Wonka

QMa2pTo.jpg

Not really a reference, but ducking into a shipping container you kill an enemy that was enjoying some steamy reading, complete with chair and booze!

PksWN7P.jpg

There's even a couple of song quotes from the punk group, The Offspring's discography that pop up in Shelly's dialogue when killing enemies, namely....

"You Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated" - Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Seperated) - Smash, 1994
"Dance Fucker, Dance" - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid - Rise & Fall, Rage & Grace , 2008

And as a huge fan of the band, those two put a smile on my face!

Last edited:
It was such a good game. It's not often a game like this comes along. Really took me back.
Better than Duke 3D easily in my opinion, but it's a very unfair comparison considering the time difference.

I did end up cheesing the final boss because it's the hardest difficulty. The secret level was a ballbreaker too.
For anyone interested you need to get the
purple card key from the piano.
046C9B87F06468CA239195A7B01A253D94F16475

DCA
DCF
From right to left both times, at the furthest left side of the piano.

Now I just need the multiplayer in my life. Feeling so high.

Last edited:
So, just finished the game, overall it's got the most consistent level design and pacing of all the build engine FPS games, here's a breakdown of my enjoyment of the game as I played through it.

ceKM0O8.png

As you can see from the chart, the first three chapters, "Night On The Town", "Downtown Disaster Relief", & "Institutionalized" offered the best experience, max fun factor right there! The fourth chapter "The Six Underground" starts off promising enough with a rad as fuck train level, but then turns into a labyrinth-esque trek through a subway, which while still pretty good, pales in comparision to the latter three chapters which are paced well and switch the locales you'll be visiting quite a bit! While Ion Fury doesn't have the "weird factor" of it's other build bretheren, it easily one of the better designed games overall! It's dethroned RE2Make as my favourite game so far this year.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Glad to hear this turned out well, from the sound of things. Don't think I'll play it yet, but probably in the next couple of weeks.

If I have a concern with this game, it's motion sickness. For whatever reason, when I play these older corridor shooters for too long, it tends to fuck me up. Anyone else have that problem?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Glad to hear this turned out well, from the sound of things. Don't think I'll play it yet, but probably in the next couple of weeks.

If I have a concern with this game, it's motion sickness. For whatever reason, when I play these older corridor shooters for too long, it tends to fuck me up. Anyone else have that problem?
Higher fps.
Stop after 1 hour
Higher fov
ULtrawide screen

Pro-tip for those of you just starting out, in the bar at the beginning, there's a little rhythm minigame you can play, time it right a few times and you get a weapon that you'd normally get 2 or 3 stages in, early!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so yeah this game is damn good. love the music. love the level design. it's very cyberpunk. like being in a neon mall or futuristic hotel or something. love this so much.

Stuchinoko

All I know about this game so far is that Resetera keeps shitting up /v/ with threads whining that the developers think "SJWs are nutjobs."

Stuchinoko

They are trying to get the developers fired for saying gender reassignment at birth is a bad idea during a discord chat.

Nope, that's not a joke.

Devs seem pretty sensible and hopefully the publisher takes no notice of them.
I wonder how that's going to work when the dev team is small as hell, and from what I can tell they all share the same general attitudes.

Is Resetera expecting the publisher to just fire the whole development team if they whine hard enough?

McCheese

I wonder how that's going to work when the dev team is small as hell, and from what I can tell they all share the same general attitudes.

Is Resetera expecting the publisher to just fire the whole development team if they whine hard enough?

It's just outrage for the sake of it, nobody really gives a fuck about what people say on discord. But it's a fun little game of seeing what dance they can make the publisher do for them by throwing shit at the walls.

Last edited:
It's just outrage for the sake of it, nobody really gives a fuck about what people say on discord. But it's a fun little game of seeing what dance they can make the publisher do for them by throwing shit at the walls.
In this case...nothing. As far as I can tell Voidpoint is independant and made up largely of programmers, mappers and modders from the Duke community. In other words people who have been friends for years. REEra is basically screeching at a brick wall.

Top Bottom