• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury |OT|: Maiden Heaven!

Animagic

Banned
God mode, I remember those days. When I was young I just played the game and didn't care if I cheated or not. I wonder when that changed? It did not change my enjoyment of it. The best I can think if is my anti-cheating stance came from the multiplayer aspect of games. In single player I rarely cared. Some times I'd use cheats and others I wouldn't.

I'll soon have to stop visiting this thread or I'll buy this game before I'm prepared to.
I think achievements and trophies helped to change all of that. I used to love cheat codes to extend the life of a game I was either done with or bored with

#Phonepunk#

Banned
a5WAXev.jpg

spotted this sweet Twin Peaks reference!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know that feeling where you're playing an FPS, and you're super focused and realize that your right hand is starting to cramp because you're gripping the mouse so tightly, but you kinda like it because that just means you're IN THE FUCKING GAME? This game gives me that. It feels so good to play.

Danny Dudekisser

So... were Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior this good? I played a little bit of the shareware versions of both back in the day, before I even used the mouse to play FPSes, but I really have no idea how they stack up. Either way, I love this game, and suspect I'll want more of it after the ride's over.

Loke

So... were Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior this good?

Duke Nukem 3D is still the king IMO. Ion Fury is better than Shadow Warrior though. Never cared much for that to be honest, found it dull and the Asian theme never clicked with me. Blood is superior to both IF and SW though.

Where DN3D beats IF is at the weapons arsenal and the variety of enemies. The levels themselves I'd probably rate IF higher though. Episode 1 in DN3D is still the magnum opus of all the BUILD games but where it falls flat is with the lacklustre episode 2. It picks up speed again with episode 3 but still far from the greatness of episode 1. Episode 4 is mostly okay.

So... were Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior this good? I played a little bit of the shareware versions of both back in the day, before I even used the mouse to play FPSes, but I really have no idea how they stack up. Either way, I love this game, and suspect I'll want more of it after the ride's over.

Graphics aside, Duke 3D is definitely better, particularly due to the weapons and enemies available. One can make some arguments when it comes to level design but Duke comes out ahead overall.

I think most would say SW is better and they're probably right - though I've never really liked SW very much and had more fun playing through Ion Fury. Make of that what you will. =P

edit: or what the person above said. :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Duke Nukem 3D is still the king IMO. Ion Fury is better than Shadow Warrior though. Never cared much for that to be honest, found it dull and the Asian theme never clicked with me. Blood is superior to both IF and SW though.

Where DN3D beats IF is at the weapons arsenal and the variety of enemies. The levels themselves I'd probably rate IF higher though. Episode 1 in DN3D is still the magnum opus of all the BUILD games but where it falls flat is with the lacklustre episode 2. It picks up speed again with episode 3 but still far from the greatness of episode 1. Episode 4 is mostly okay.

Oh, that's right - forgot about Blood. I've got the original version and the Fresh Supply remaster, or whatever you want to call it. I really need to play that one eventually.

Helios

I prefer SW over Duke but I'm probably biased since I played SW first. I also love the cheesy Chinese movie stereotypes. They're both really good though, definitely at least on par with Ion Fury.

Last edited:
What's the SMG's secondary fire? The main is identical to Timeshift's Hellfire (and looks and sounds a lot like it). That weapon also worked as a flamethrower.

What's the SMG's secondary fire? The main is identical to Timeshift's Hellfire (and looks and sounds a lot like it). That weapon also worked as a flamethrower.

Secondary fire is to return to single weilding in case you don't want to chew through ammo as quickly, handy for conserving ammo when dealing with trash mobs.

Danny Dudekisser

Finished the game. I absolutely loved it, from start to finish.

So like, back in the day, there was this thing called the GCS -- the Game Creation System. It let you build rudimentary FPSes with pretty much no programming, and I spent a toooonnnnnn of time on it as a kid, over the course of like 3 years. I always had an idea of what kinda game I wanted to make, and I think I actually had some pretty cool level designs, but obviously, I could never execute on it and have decent mechanics. And as it turns out, having good art is important. In terms of the aesthetic and the general feel that I had in my head, though, Ion Fury is basically that game. So, it's kinda weird for me to play it, because it's totally the thing I wanted to make but never could. And that's kind of cool.

Anyway, for me, it's probably a 10/10. It's one of the most fun FPSes I've played, and a pretty awesome surprise.

And that soundtrack is rad.

Dane

Ion Fury won't be censored

Joint statement from Voidpoint and 3D Realms:

We’ve caused a recent controversy suggesting Ion Fury game content was to be censored.

We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming’s most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear!

Shifty

Ion Fury won't be censored

Joint statement from Voidpoint and 3D Realms:

We’ve caused a recent controversy suggesting Ion Fury game content was to be censored.

We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming’s most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear!

We have like three threads running this news now. I can't handle any more :messenger_loudly_crying:

Gotta say the handgun in the game (loverboy) has got to be among the most satisfying ones to use in a game. Also, the music is just excellent, and one of the best I've heard in quite a while now.

Shifty

Gotta say the handgun in the game (loverboy) has got to be among the most satisfying ones to use in a game. Also, the music is just excellent, and one of the best I've heard in quite a while now.
I've only played about 5 minutes due to backlog, but this was one of the first things that struck me about the game. Having the high noon move on right click is a great bit of utility for a weapon slot that's traditionally consigned to the trash after (if not during) mission 1 in old-school shooters.

I keep going back to using it as much as possible. The handgun is fantastic especially with secondary fire.

Same here. Like the Disperser as well, but, I dunno, I like this one more.

I've only played about 5 minutes due to backlog, but this was one of the first things that struck me about the game. Having the high noon move on right click is a great bit of utility for a weapon slot that's traditionally consigned to the trash after (if not during) mission 1 in old-school shooters.

Well said. Duke Nukem's pistol in Duke Nukem 3D was kinda alright, but the one in DOOM (1993) for instance...last resort weapons at best most of the time...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
dang this game is so good. was playing today and just loving it, exploring these cool levels, enjoying the not-chiptune-yet-very-appropriate tunes. the level design is really really good and works perfectly with the music and artwork. they do nostalgia right with this game, these areas remind me of 90s office buildings or malls or hotels. kinda like Shinra headquarters in FFVII. those weird cyberpunk cities with 16 bit sprite art design. i really hope more people check this out, cos it's a legit great game, a successful new/classic retro spiritual sequel by the original creators, in the vein of Bloodstained.

eOpq1og.jpg

Nm887mv.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know how to launch this game from big picture and NOT have the stupid resolution launcher pop up which needs me to click [Ok]? Thanks.

Boss Key

Neo Member
Playing this game has brought back those fun memories of my childhood when I would come home from school and game the rest of the day away on my 486/66 computer (first one I ever built) as much as I still love duke this game is as good as it gets right now.

Bravo to the devs they really captured the old school feel while also giving it an update of sorts I really can’t recommend this game enough- go buy it!

Animagic

Banned
You can’t invert the Y axis on the right stick. There’s not even an option for it in the menu. Yet there are multiple options for the same in motion controls.

how do you ship a throwback fps without verifying this is there?
This is unplayable for me until this patch decides to drop

carlosrox

Banned
I got this a month ago and only played it for five minutes (was only trying it and didn't mean to start playing quite yet).

Restarted my game today and got to the 4th stage and OMG am I loving this!

It really starts ramping up!

The enemies are so fun to shoot and the level design is soooo good. So much cover!

I'm playing on hard mode in 4k on my RTX 2060.
It has tiny little hitches now and then but otherwise it seems to run pretty locked at 60fps I think.

Top Bottom