• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Maiden, a Build Engine-Powered FPS, Releasing 2017

I actually thought Bombshell was okay. I got it for 3 bucks in the summer sale which softened the blow somewhat. It wasnt amazing but as far as twin stick shooters go it was okay, had lovely graphics, and actually has some cool character designs (bombshell herself is a really cool looking protagonist, i think). So as an old school Duke fan im interested in this.

ultrazilla

These are really good people behind the game! Very talented Duke3D fans, mappers, coders, etc.

I'm day 1 all over this!

Hopefully it'll hit all the major platforms, including Nintendo Switch!

CxxZ9DYXcAAm-HP.png

I love this as a piece of art on its own. Very cool project, I'm interested in seeing it in motion.

Mr. Tibbs

Will it work under DOS? =)

Haha, this was one of the first questions the shooter purists asked when the game surfaced back in 2015. To get EDuke32 to run on DOS would require getting the entire project building under DJGPP, which would involve reintroducing all the hardware code which has long been ripped out. So, no, not this time!

I'm weirdly hyped for this. Always loved the Build engine aesthetic and what they're doing with it actually looks pretty great. Never played Bombshell, I've been steadfastly waiting for it to show up in a bundle. Bad reviews make it hard to justify a purchase but I'd be interested to just boot it up and see the first half hour.

Mr. Tibbs

Never played Bombshell, I've been steadfastly waiting for it to show up in a bundle. Bad reviews make it hard to justify a purchase but I'd be interested to just boot it up and see the first half hour.

I'm in the same boat. The reviews were so negative that I removed it from my wishlist, despite following the game's development rather closely. I think part of the disappointing reception was due to positioning the game as an action-rpg, when really it was just a top-down shooter. It's received substantial patches since launch, but it seems like there's some fundamentally flawed game design that couldn't be fully addressed without starting the project over.

I wonder if they might include Bombshell (2016) as part of some kind of pre-order deal for Ion Maiden?

It's kind of weird how appealing these kinds of graphics look now to me and to many other people. It looks nice.

Yeah, I love the visuals. FPSs are often the most graphically advanced, but I really like it when they refine the 90s visual style. Interested in this, but I guess it's probably not planned for consoles at this point?

Mr. Tibbs

Hello I´m Leonardo Pellegrini "DavoX" one of the level designers for Ion Maiden. Just wanted to chime in to mention that I worked on the DLC of that DNF 2013 Mod, would love it if you guys tried it!

Those three levels were such a great set of maps! The whole DNF 2013 mod is pure quality. The motorcycle level was just unreal in terms of spectacle, and the battles in the other two were balanced in such a way to always feel challenging without being cheap.

dnf2013dlc3.jpg

I'm looking forward to checking out the next update!

droneflyying.jpg

capt0013.jpg

capt0009.png

drotahorror

Thanks for bumping this thread, I had no idea. I didn't even have it wishlisted. I did have this thread subbed to though.

abracadaver

The early access version contains only a preview campaign

It's just 2 or 3 levels. I finished it in an hour

Now I can't wait for the full version

Malio

Looks fantastic! I'm hyped. Will keep an eye on it and grab it when there's a bit more content.

abracadaver

Is it worth the current asking price?

No

It's basically just a preorder and you get a very very short (1 hour) "campaign" to play

For more content you will you will have to wait until the game launches in about 6 months. No new levels will be added during the early access.

120v

played through it and thought it was just okay after Dusk. but then again i was never the biggest Duke/OG Shadow warrior/blood fan, i thought those games were just okay

waffled over refunding it but ultimately decided this will probably be worth it in the end.

Darak

Played through the preview and really enjoyed it. My first impression was not very good, but the game grew on me (the homing grenades are fun!). It is a sweet, if very short experience (essentially one big level). The final game only has 6 more levels, so I hope they are much bigger compared to the one in the preview. It is very much a Duke Nukem 3D spiritual sequel and it shares a lot of the original's shortcomings and strong points: complex maps with plenty of secrets, enemies with hitscan weapons (more gunplay than projectile dodging), city environments, humor, etc. I prefer the original, but it is still a decent effort, and plays very well.

Despite liking it, I wouldn't recommend the purchase yet, unless you want to support the developers. It is an early version, still missing many features, balancing (hard mode is too easy, uzi and baton are underpowered IMO) and optimization (it has a lot of surprising performance issues despite the ancient engine).

Loke

They just released a new singleplayer level called "Heskel's House of Horrors". Check it out.

Top Bottom