• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

Mafro

So, they didn't change it. Are you on the GM?

I don't get their decision, like why would you want to disconnect from the WiFi network but keep your phone's WiFi radio on? For Bluetooth maybe it makes sense.
Yeah this is the GM. It's really dumb with the Wi-Fi because if you want to actually turn it on so you're connected to a router you have to turn the control centre icon off then on again. Surely it has to be bug or something.

emag

my ipad air is slow as a snail on this gm =(

Sorry to say but with an older device always wait until you can read comments from other users. I have an iPad 2 that while it still functions, typing on the keyboard is laggy. We should have kept it on an older version of iOS so at least the Internet was usable.

My son has a 5S and I have told him to not upgrade. I can't see iOS 11 working well on it and right now his phone is fine.

Yeah, I downgraded from the 11 GM to 10.3.3 on my Mini 2; the difference is night and day. I'm definitely waiting until at least 11.1 to see what others experience on 5s/Air/Mini 2. I'm even going to hold off for at least 11.0.x on my SE.

Make sure you downgrade before Apple stops signing 10.3.3.

Red

I guess iOS 11 also gets rid of the extra keyboard buttons on the plus in landscape mode. Now you trigger regular keyboard buttons when you press the now-empty spaces on the sides.

Miyahon

Anyone else experiencing random stutters when moving between home screens or when it zooms into an app and out of an app? I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Trying to restart music or podcasts with headphone buttons is awful in ios11. It either tries to start Siri or does nothing. Sometimes works on the tenth press.

samn

Sorry to say but with an older device always wait until you can read comments from other users. I have an iPad 2 that while it still functions, typing on the keyboard is laggy. We should have kept it on an older version of iOS so at least the Internet was usable.

My son has a 5S and I have told him to not upgrade. I can't see iOS 11 working well on it and right now his phone is fine.

This is dreadful advice. Always upgrade, you need the security updates. If a device stops getting security updates then either take it offline or throw it away.

Red

Anyone else experiencing random stutters when moving between home screens or when it zooms into an app and out of an app? I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus
Only happened for a few hours after updating on my 7 plus. Been pretty smooth since then. I assumed it was working on things in the background, standard behavior after an update.

hirokazu

Also, Siri works like shit on my 6 Plus. The dictation doesn’t show up until 2-3 seconds after I stop talking so there’s no real-time feedback. Then it just hangs for about five seconds with no indication it’s doing anything before it gives an answer. No idea why.

Vashetti

Banned
Just noticed Final Fantasy Tactics got an update on the app store, does that mean it's safe from the cutoff of 32-bit apps?

Yes, Apple has required that app updates submitted after a certain date contain 64-bit support.

You can test this yourself, prior to the new update, FFT would refuse to boot on iOS 11 saying it needed to be updated.

Now it boots without warning.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, couple things wonky.
My 6S is draining battery like crazy it feels like.
And notifications sometimes act up. I'll swipe some away, and they keep reappearing, or they kind of glitch out and old ones reappear. It's hard to explain.

Sean

Banned
Very noticeable decrease in battery life with WatchOS v4 on my first gen launch Apple Watch, unfortunately.

I used to make it through a whole day with like 20-30% to spare, now it's conking out before 8pm.

Miyahon

Only happened for a few hours after updating on my 7 plus. Been pretty smooth since then. I assumed it was working on things in the background, standard behavior after an update.

Yeah I know that usually happens but I updated the day the GM came out and it still stutters randomly. Might have to wait until the full public release is out then restore the iPhone.

Very noticeable decrease in battery life with WatchOS v4 on my first gen launch Apple Watch, unfortunately.

I used to make it through a whole day with like 20-30% to spare, now it's conking out before 8pm.

Same thing happens to me now I'm on the launch Apple Watch model and watchOS 3 was great for battery life and now it went down with watchOS4.

Enco

Been using it since last Tuesday. iPhone 6S+.

- There's a very slight delay when opening apps now
- 3D touch is laggier
- There are a few random glitches (getting stuck in landscape mode, the wallpaper not rotating, youtube videos freezing)
- Battery seems to be worse

Other than that, this is a really nice update. Lots of quality of life improvements. The new control center is great (so much faster to use), the animations are nice and I like the design changes (mostly. the big headings are dumb).

jts

...hate me...
Annoyed that looking up an app in Spotlight doesn't list the app under its folder name anymore in iOS 11, so it's harder to locate it if you have a bunch of apps and folders accumulated through the years like me. Sometimes I want to know where an app is so I can delete it or move it to a more prominent spot.

Small QoL decrease, which maybe not many will notice or previously took advantage of that old feature.

Vuze

😔 watchOS 4 looks great and i'll probably update anyway but thats disheartening to hear. I'm fine with the current battery life (usually at 30% after workout), don't mind they daily charging at all. But considerably less than that... idk. Mine is still under AC+ until 2019 so I'll hold on to it in the hopes of getting an upgrade as replacement end of next year or early 2019.

I'm having mild home screen stutter after multi tasking and battery seems to be draining quicker compared to 10.3.3. on iPhone 7. Apps seem to take a bit longer to load. I'll do a clean install after its officially released.

Question: I have an iTunes backup. What setting should I use to do a clean install? Factory reset or something else?

Erebus

Judging from the posts here sounds like the battery life is worse compared to iOS 10. Yikes.

I think I'll wait for 11.1

Red

Battery life on my 7 plus is fine, and it’s easier now to turn on battery saver if I’m worried about it. It was worse for a few hours after updating, like substantially worse than I’ve ever seen on an iOS device, dropping 2-3% sometimes all at once every couple of minutes. But that passed quickly.

Sapiens

Judging from the posts here sounds like the battery life is worse compared to iOS 10. Yikes.

It is. In my experience the last few weeks with my 6S, it's been disappointing.

Then again, the phone is two years old and so is the battery.

Thankfully, I qualify for a free battery replacement.

Maybe others on GAF do as well? Check it out here:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Animations from 3D touch and camera activation from home are also atrocious.

Here's hoping 11.1 can resolve these issues as the 6S should have no trouble with these simple tasks.

Annoyed that looking up an app in Spotlight doesn't list the app under its folder name anymore in iOS 11, so it's harder to locate it if you have a bunch of apps and folders accumulated through the years like me. Sometimes I want to know where an app is so I can delete it or move it to a more prominent spot.

Small QoL decrease, which maybe not many will notice or previously took advantage of that old feature.

I find that it's easier to go to Settings > Storage and delete the app there.

neshcom

Banned
Think it was mentioned earlier, but it's really disappointing that the new volume toast only applies to iOS-format videos and not every volume change. It's kind of stunning they let it be so damn big after finding a decent, compact size.

Blackhead

Redarse
Think it was mentioned earlier, but it's really disappointing that the new volume toast only applies to iOS-format videos and not every volume change. It's kind of stunning they let it be so damn big after finding a decent, compact size.

that has to be a bug right? i think i saw a screenshot that it shows both the old style and the toast on the 'unsupported' video formats. I can't believe any designer would allow that as normal behaviour

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Had tot downgrade back to 10, no matter how many updates and GM releases 11 got it was the buggiest beta I've ever used on iPhones.

constant notification center glitches, I hate the lock screen music view, how large everything is, multi tasking still stutters.

I am not looking forward to them forcing this update on me over the coming months.
I’ve been running GM for a week and not s single issue.

My battery has been the same.

Dropbox app now reads new image files as “HEIC” format. I assume it’s a better image format.

iOS 11 is very buggy. Not worthy of being a GM. Navigation guidance doesn’t work. You can’t edit a reminder if it’s on the bottom of your list because the keyboard covers it. And some other stuff that I can’t remember.

On my iPad Air, iOS 11 has a hard time moving apps.

Sean

Banned
😔 watchOS 4 looks great and i'll probably update anyway but thats disheartening to hear. I'm fine with the current battery life (usually at 30% after workout), don't mind they daily charging at all. But considerably less than that... idk. Mine is still under AC+ until 2019 so I'll hold on to it in the hopes of getting an upgrade as replacement end of next year or early 2019.

I really love the changes in watchOS 4 (the new PIN code unlock screen is reason enough to upgrade - bigger keys and sounds, much less mistyped logins). It's just unfortunate about the poor battery life. I'm guessing it was more optimized for Series 2 and 3 watches. Or maybe it's the new resting heart rate thing, which I don't know if we could disable. Apple usually improves battery life and performance on older devices in the point updates, so hopefully they get around to it.

Problem is, it's absolutely painful to update the Apple Watch. It took literally two hours to install watchOS 4 and it's gonna suck going through that again for point upgrades.

Vuze

I really love the changes in watchOS 4 (the new PIN code unlock screen is reason enough to upgrade - bigger keys and sounds, much less mistyped logins). It's just unfortunate about the poor battery life. I'm guessing it was more optimized for Series 2 and 3 watches. Or maybe it's the new resting heart rate thing, which I don't know if we could disable. Apple usually improves battery life and performance on older devices in the point updates, so hopefully they get around to it.

Problem is, it's absolutely painful to update the Apple Watch. It took literally two hours to install watchOS 4 and it's gonna suck going through that again for point upgrades.
Yeah, it's annoying. I just do it in the evening when I put the Watch on its charger anyway but it still requires some attention which is a little annoying. Oh well.

I forgot about the resting heart rate feature, I'm positive this could cause a huge hit to battery. But Series 1/2 owners would realize it as well.

Yeah, it's annoying. I just do it in the evening when I put the Watch on its charger anyway but it still requires some attention which is a little annoying. Oh well.

I forgot about the resting heart rate feature, I'm positive this could cause a huge hit to battery. But Series 1/2 owners would realize it as well.

Has the update process noticeably improved going from the Series 0 to Series 1/2? Hoping this isn't nearly as big of a deal with the 3. A faster processor, more RAM (rumored), and faster WiFi should theoretically help.

I am actually somewhat curious about what the Watch has done historically and is doing for storage speeds...

mrkgoo

Does anyone know if the Apple Watch will bug you to update to watchOS 4 if it's not compatible with your phoneOS? I cannot get ios11 and it would suck if my watch kept bugging me to get OS4

Kordelle

watched some videos of iOS 11 on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6, performance looks good on both.
I'm really excited about the file manager, I hope that I can comfortably view my photos on OneDrive then, the OneDrive app is so bad.

Why did they switch the snooze and off button on Apple Watch for alarms? Now I have to unlearn something else for arbitrary and unnecessary reasons.

SiteSeer

my battery drained much quicker once i updated my iphone 5s to ios 10. it was so bad i went and upgraded to 7 plus. it's planned obsolescence.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
my battery drained much quicker once i updated my iphone 5s to ios 10. it was so bad i went and upgraded to 7 plus. it's planned obsolescence.
Isn't it wiser to stop buying iPhones if you really believe that? :p

Miyahon

Anyone else have a bug in the activity app on watchOS 4?

The past two days I’ve noticed that my stand activity doesn’t update after taking it off the stand while it charges overnight.

Only way to fix it is to force quit the activity app. I’ve even restarted the Apple Watch to see if that helps but it happened again the following day.

Sean

Banned

I thought that was one of the big new things in Series 2, improved battery life? If so it probably wouldn't be quite as noticeable on those devices compared to the Series 0.

But after looking through all the settings it appears you can disable the new resting heart rate feature. It's just hidden away in a weird place under the "Privacy" section of the Apple Watch companion app. I toggled it off and hopefully it'll improve the battery life.

nu2UFHM.png

hirokazu

There’s definitely something wrong with the battery usage. It’s been five days since I updated to the GM and it’s still draining like crazy.

My iPhone 6 Plus updated from 10.3.3 to the GM accrued over 5 hours of battery usage overnight. In comparison, my iPad, which was updated from beta 10 to the GM only accrued 3 min.

My iPad used to have pretty bad battery life earlier in the betas but that seems to have gone by now.

I can’t figure out what’s causing the usage. Unless background tasks after update really takes this long to do its thing, this drain is horrendous. I went from 36-40 hours standby before needing a charge to now needing a charge at 20-22 hours standby.

I thought that was one of the big new things in Series 2, improved battery life? If so it probably wouldn't be quite as noticeable on those devices compared to the Series 0.

But after looking through all the settings it appears you can disable the new resting heart rate feature. It's just hidden away in a weird place under the "Privacy" section of the Apple Watch companion app. I toggled it off and hopefully it'll improve the battery life.
Apple Watch has always measured your resting heart rate at regular intervals. I’m pretty sure those toggles in your screenshot have always been there. I doubt that’s the cause of any battery issues, unless they increased the frequency of measurements.

Calion

More or less, and I'm experiencing frequent random bugs as well. Like the app dock disappearing, or the messages app not displaying messages correctly, etc.

There’s definitely something wrong with the battery usage. It’s been five days since I updated to the GM and it’s still draining like crazy.

My iPhone 6 Plus updated from 10.3.3 to the GM accrued over 5 hours of battery usage overnight. In comparison, my iPad, which was updated from beta 10 to the GM only accrued 3 min.

Check the Battery settings to see your usage, might get some insight.

FWIW I've had my iPhone 7 and iPad Air on iOS 11 for the last few releases and haven't seen abnormal battery drain. It's possible you have an app that hasn't been updated for 11 and it's going a bit haywire.

hirokazu

Check the Battery settings to see your usage, might get some insight.

FWIW I've had my iPhone 7 and iPad Air on iOS 11 for the last few releases and haven't seen abnormal battery drain. It's possible you have an app that hasn't been updated for 11 and it's going a bit haywire.
That's the thing, I've been monitoring the app battery usage breakdown and nothing is out of the ordinary there. It must be a background system process.

And my experience is the same as your's - my iPad which has been on the beta for a while doesn't have this battery issue. Just devices updated from iOS 10 to the GM.

Top Bottom