• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

giga

Compiled a list of iPhone-specific (but not exclusive) tidbits from the Ars review: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/ios-11-thoroughly-reviewed/

Camera/Photos: HEIF/HEVC capture (A10 and up), QR codes, Live Photo adjustments

IRVx0KP.png

HEIF vs JPEG vs GIF: http://nokiatech.github.io/heif/comparison.html

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

App offloading

One page, customizable control center

Siri: type to siri, translate, new voice

Scroll to Table 1 at the bottom of this post: https://machinelearning.apple.com/2017/08/06/siri-voices.html

Safari: always on Reader, intelligent tracking protection

Notes: document scanning

Maps: lane guidance, speed limits, indoor maps

Mail: read messages in thread automatically collapsed

AirPlay 2:

The biggest change is to the audio buffer—AirPlay 2 sends audio out to speakers faster than real time, and the speakers in turn can buffer minutes of audio at a time instead of just a few seconds as they do with AirPlay or plain-old Bluetooth. Obviously, a larger buffer means playback won’t be disrupted as often by wireless interference or a device momentarily going out of range.

On Apple’s end, it looks like all iDevices that get iOS 11, fourth-gen and newer Apple TVs, and any High Sierra Macs that support the original AirPlay protocol should be fully compatible with AirPlay 2. The forthcoming HomePod will support it, too. As for third-party speakers, some manufacturers have already committed to updating some AirPlay speakers to support AirPlay 2 via a firmware update, but it may not be possible for all existing devices; the new buffering system and syncing audio between multiple speakers at once presumably requires some extra memory and other hardware that older speakers may not have."

Arcia

Banned
I'm seeing you guys saying that there are some problems with the battery draining fast and choppiness, wondering if I should just wait to install until later.

I have a Mini 4 and I haven't seen any comments so I guess it might be fine. But I don't want to risk messing up my ipad, as nice as these new features are.

Vyer

Oh, I didn’t know they added speed limits in Maps.

I wish the traffic indicators were better in Maps. That might be pretty much the only thing keeping me still using Google Maps from time to time.

During the hurricane I was really surprised at how much better Apple Maps was than Google Maps at navigating the city during the emergency. Maps was much better at recognizing closed roads than Google was.

Until Waze gets added to CarPlay, I'll stick with my dedicated Android car phone. So speed limits and such aren't that important to me.

It's the only iOS beta where I've encountered more crashes as they've introduced updates, not fewer. I'm still getting hard locks and issues with media controls that weren't there in the earliest beta. It's ridiculous.

X-Frame

Aren't all these battery life issues a result of the new OS having to do under the hood work during the beginning plus generally people playing with their devices more often?

It seems like almost every major update this gets reported.

Two Words

Does iOS 11 make the text bigger when the oldies iPhone is successfully unlocked and ready to be pushed open like how it looks like on the iPhone X

btrboyev

They dropped support for the iPhone 5? Isn't that still the bare requirement for an Apple Watch?

That makes no sense, is it because the 5 isn't a 64-bit CPU?

Guess Who

Banned
They dropped support for the iPhone 5? Isn't that still the bare requirement for an Apple Watch?

Yes, all pre-A7 devices are dropped, and iOS 11 is 64-bit only. Won't even run old 32-bit apps at all.

If you already have an iPhone 5 with an Apple Watch, your Watch will be stuck on watchOS 3, as watchOS 4 requires iOS 11.

hirokazu

Battery life is stuffed on my 6 Plus. Currently got a Battery Life debug profile installed and will file a bug report with Apple about it once I've gathered the necessary log files.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm seeing you guys saying that there are some problems with the battery draining fast and choppiness, wondering if I should just wait to install until later.
every. friggin. year. uggh.

draining batteries and sluggish performance happens EVERY SINGLE major update because after your phone says "welcome to iOS 11!!" it's still not done with your phone. Often it is still redownloading apps, moving files around, etc.

you'll usually have battery drain WHILE CONNECTED to wifi for a good few hours after you login for the first time. If you're not connected to wifi for a few hours straight it could take longer.

I swear, every year people upgrade and instantly post how their battery drains.. and then 364 days later they forget and complain about it again. :\

all 32-bit calls/instructions have been removed from iOS 11. It's believed (though not yet proven) that the actual 32-bit instruction sets have been removed from A11, freeing up die space.

kiguel182

The changes are subtle for iPhones but I'll be happy with the new toggle menu with more options. At least it has a Mobile Data toggle, something it should have been here from the start.

Edit: the new App Store looks cool too. I'm a fan of their new design language in general.

NekoFever

Oh, I didn’t know they added speed limits in Maps.

It works well. Whatever database they've got is uncannily accurate, because in my testing it changes the instant you pass the signs.

draining batteries and sluggish performance happens EVERY SINGLE major update because after your phone says "welcome to iOS 11!!" it's still not done with your phone. Often it is still redownloading apps, moving files around, etc.

you'll usually have battery drain WHILE CONNECTED to wifi for a good few hours after you login for the first time. If you're not connected to wifi for a few hours straight it could take longer.

I swear, every year people upgrade and instantly post how their battery drains.. and then 364 days later they forget and complain about it again. :\

Seriously, this. Installing iOS 11 drained 30% of my battery, but you could tell it was doing a lot of housekeeping behind the scenes because the phone was warm all afternoon. Plugged it in overnight and, lo and behold, it was back to normal the next day.

Sapiens

I’ve been on gold master for about a week. The battery does not get better, unfortunately. It still suffers.

Maybe 11.1 will fix this, but don’t expect any magic after a restart or pretending that any background magic will solve anything.

You’re completely justified in complaining about it.

Vuze

The changes are subtle for iPhones but I'll be happy with the new toggle menu with more options. At least it has a Mobile Data toggle, something it should have been here from the start.

Edit: the new App Store looks cool too. I'm a fan of their new design language in general.
I'm repeating myself but I adore the new AppStore. I'll be checking in every / other day to catch up with the new spotlight articles and app collections. I really enjoy the rich presentation in general.

br3wnor

Is the update not live for iPhones yet? My iPad had 11 available a few hours ago but my phone is still saying 10.3.3 is the latest OS. (I have an SE)

I got some nasty leftover glitches on both my iPhone and my iPad from beta season. My phone I’m just gonna install the GM through iTunes instead of OTA in an attempt to fix things, I don’t feel like reinstalling this thing when I’ll have a new phone in a couple months. I guess I will if things get crazy bad.

My iPad Pro I will be fresh installing. Gotta carve out a day to get that done, takes a long time to get things set up again

Calion

I've had iOS11 GM installed on my phone for a week now, and my battery is noticeably worse. I don't know what to tell you.

Vashetti

Banned
How do I make sure I have HEIF for photos enabled?

Everywhere I've read said it's Settings > Camera > Formats

But I can't see Formats on my iPhone SE (running iOS 11 GM).

Yes and? Theres no update notification telling you that youre phone is now optimized and battery should go back to normal or something of that nature. If this happens every year then they should (by now) have a popup or something telling you whats going on and why your battery is draining fast all of a sudden. Most people dont visit forums and have no clue whats going on. If my phone is "optimizing", fucking tell me.

The guy above has had the update for a week and hes still noticing a drain....how long does this take? Maybe Apple just dont give a fuck about older phones. Thats a lot more likely.

Arex

Ack! I just assumed my 4th gen ipad will be able to update to IOS11. too bad :(

Developers will still publish their apps in both 32bit and 64bit right? I hope..

kendrid

Banned
Still fighting over what ipad to get, the pro is 500 more but looks so good.

I just want to surf the web in bed and watch videos.

I bought my 10.5 Pro for just over $505 + tax.

They have been going on sale for $550 the last few weeks. Best Buy had them for $550 and there was also a promotion where you could buy $100 gift cards for $85, limit 3.

I went with the Pro because it will last longer than the 2017 model.

iOS 11 on it has been great. At night if I want to chill and not PC game I'll play a mobile game and have TV in a small window in the corner. I love it.

Ack! I just assumed my 4th gen ipad will be able to update to IOS11. too bad :(

Developers will still publish their apps in both 32bit and 64bit right? I hope..

Your 4th gen runs 64 bit apps just fine, they’ve been required since like 2015

Edit: or not! I got my generations mixed up, my bad

I bought my 10.5 Pro for just over $505 + tax.

They have been going on sale for $550 the last few weeks. Best Buy had them for $550 and there was also a promotion where you could buy $100 gift cards for $85, limit 3.

I went with the Pro because it will last longer than the 2017 model.

iOS 11 on it has been great. At night if I want to chill and not PC game I'll play a mobile game and have TV in a small window in the corner. I love it.

Can confirm that the 10.5 Pro is basically the perfect iPad. It’s a use-it-until-it-dies machine, like the 2013 MacBook Air I still costantly use as my main Mac.

j-wood

With iOS 11, imessage is finally synced with iCloud right? Meaning that messages read and stuff will finally sync across my watch and iPad?

Nice, a couple of games I've had on my phone for YEARS that never updated to 64 bit just did today. One of them (an obscure Koi Koi/Hanafuda game I liked) had last updated in early 2012, over five years ago! And the guy actually put some effort into it, too... new UI, visuals, soundtrack, everything.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
With iOS 11, imessage is finally synced with iCloud right? Meaning that messages read and stuff will finally sync across my watch and iPad?

No. It was in earlier beta builds but pulled. It'll be added in a point release later.

Are we expecting Watch OS 4 today, as well?

Flandy

My air 2 is still on ios9
How big of an upgrade is this going to be? Lol
its not going to make it slower is it?

Top Bottom