• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

holy fuck that 3D flythrough map thing is amazing.. I work on the Paramount lot and I'm going through it seeing a bunch of cool little details.

That's disappointing

I think it's going to be at least a year or two before Passbook is really useful because of things like this. People need to work things out and get familiar with it before it gets streamlined. Nobody even has the best procedure on how to handle everything yet.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ugh.

Exactly the kind of thing Tobor feared with NFC transactions.

I really do hope Passbook matures quickly, as I want to get rid of my cards so badly.

8004392974_ffc38687bc_z.jpg

buhdeh

I think it's going to be at least a year or two before Passbook is really useful because of things like this. People need to work things out and get familiar with it before it gets streamlined. Nobody even has the best procedure on how to handle everything yet.

Why? It's just scanning a barcode, isn't it?

Tried doing a transit route an it showed me an app called transit.
I just tried this and it showed me an app called "The Transit App" and it doesn't even have my local transit line that google maps had. Great. The app also has a subscription service to unlock features google maps had free lol. I really hate the way apple maps handles transit. Maps just has a shortcut to the transit app and searching a transit route then opens that app.

I knew this was not going to be very good. If apple wants to give me a gimped app then at least give me the option to make google maps (when it's released) the system default and to then hide their useless map app from my home screen.

First Siri and now Maps. Apple need to learn to leave things in the oven a bit longer before releasing them.

Transit is a huge deal to a lot of people. :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yea I just deleted 360 Panorama.

My room isn't the sexiest of places to take a panorama :lol
Didn't stop me from taking a sexy photograph of my horribly messy room.

I'd post it, but for some reason Photo Stream is not updating for me at all. The last photo I have on my MacBook Air is from my iPod touch that I took with iOS5 while my other devices were updating to iOS6. But I now have 2 photos I took on my iPhone that haven't uploaded to iCloud yet. (Though the panorama is 5.5MB but there was a photo before it that hasn't gone up yet either.)

I can't sign into iCloud.com either so I am assuming right now they're getting hammered.

Enco

Didn't stop me from taking a sexy photograph of my horribly messy room.

I'd post it, but for some reason Photo Stream is not updating for me at all. The last photo I have on my MacBook Air is from my iPod touch that I took with iOS5 while my other devices were updating to iOS6. But I now have 2 photos I took on my iPhone that haven't uploaded to iCloud yet. (Though the panorama is 5.5MB but there was a photo before it that hasn't gone up yet either.)

I can't sign into iCloud.com either so I am assuming right now they're getting hammered.
:lol

Seems like all Apple services are kinda screwed up right now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Maps needs a lot of work still. I think colours need changing so that its easier to tell at a glance what stuff is. It barely looks like my town is a town because the grey for built up areas is so light. Also they need to seriously improve the data density: it's kind of unacceptable that they'd launch without a city as large and London having building data.
London is a mess, in fact. There's no visual differentiation ([edit]or any other kind of differentiation--is Bond Street underground or overground? Maps won't help you!) between underground and overground train stations at all. Stations are missing (Marble Arch doesn't exist in Apple's London).

This is practically a beta product. Not impressed, Cupertino.

[edit]Bits of Cambridge city centre are also either incredibly misleading or just plain wrong.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If stores can't even get Passbook right...no wonder there's no NFC, lol
Siriously. I just hope this doesn't become another Ping. I really do want to use it as long as it's just a barcode. But it's silly that you can't manually add cards in. Isn't a barcode standard? Couldn't I enter the numbers from a code and each number is a standard set of thick and narrow bars? I doubt Giant Food Stores will ever support Passbook. They probably don't even know what it is.

:lol

Seems like all Apple services are kinda screwed up right now.
Yeah. If I click "App Store" in Passbook it says the store is unavailable. So we'll see how things work when it all calms down.

Redux

Banned
With Passport, will I be able to have my Greyhound bus tickets on there? And I just bought the iPhone (4) so I'm a little new to this, the iOS6 is taking away Google features? I like Google Maps, and how my notes are synced to my gmail account. And with this update, will my is run smooth and faster?

Siriously. I just hope this doesn't become another Ping. I really do want to use it as long as it's just a barcode. But it's silly that you can't manually add cards in. Isn't a barcode standard? Couldn't I enter the numbers from a code and each number is a standard set of thick and narrow bars? I doubt Giant Food Stores will ever support Passbook. They probably don't even know what it is.

Yeah. If I click "App Store" in Passbook it says the store is unavailable. So we'll see how things work when it all calms down.

Give it a little while but I'm sure stores will catch on sooner or later. The Starbucks app has had essentially the same functionality as Passbook for a while now and it works great.

mhi

Upgraded my iPad but my iPhone is staying in 5.1.1 until google comes out with a standaone maps app. Just compared the data and its literally night and day.

Waiting for the YouTube iPad app as well.

cbox

What the fuck was apple thinking with the new app store? It's HORRIBLE.

Search is a disgusting mess, scrolling right instead of up and down is a terrible decision.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
www.passsource.com

That's how I made the Pet Perks and Kroger card above.
I wonder if they'll work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How does Target use passbook?

And I agree the App Store is kind of a mess. Also as I said before, sometimes it loads stuff whenver it wants to and at other times doesn't want to load stuff

edit: oh nifty dallow

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The URL for what I THINK is supposed to be Bond Street station is for Snappy Snaps. Jesus Christ.

[edit]Correction: there is building area data in London, but it only appears when you zoom very far in.

Give it a little while but I'm sure stores will catch on sooner or later. The Starbucks app has had essentially the same functionality as Passbook for a while now and it works great.

To be fair, I think Starbucks is way more on top of things than most companies. I don't think they're a prime example but more of an exception to the rule right now.

acevans2

Can anyone tell me how to get the GM iOS6.0 if I had the beta installed? I dont have Panorama available, but it says my software is up-to-date.

To be fair, I think Starbucks is way more on top of things than most companies. I don't think they're a prime example but more of an exception to the rule right now.

For sure, but they also did that without the support of Apple so it gives me hope that other companies will follow now that it should be much easier to implement.

KingKong

first impressions:
- blue menu bar is weeeeeeird
- panorama is super slick
- I like that the Photo Stream is a separate tab in Photos
- map UI is nice and vectors look really good but I'm not liking the maps themselves. My house (in a Minnesota suburb) has a way worse satellite quality. Looking at St.Paul, MN, the new map looks nicer but the old Google one had way more information
- still cant put Newsstand in a folder :<
- iTunes store looks ridiculous. why is there horizontal scrolling and vertical scrolling? It's like they just shrunk an iPad app. Charts is like ....what
- App Store is same thing. I don't get it, is it bugged? The main page cuts off the 'Great Free Apps' box on lower right, it looks like I zoomed into a page. Very sloppy. I like how you can see what's new in an update without a new window though and obviously downloading without password and closing app is great
- I like the Reminders change (putting the lists in the menu and showing the calendar on the bottom), before trying to scroll horizontally and having it scroll vertically was a pain in the ass
- Safari is blazing fast. Wow its so much faster just loading NeoGaf or random sites even without javscript. Full screen is awesome too
- Music looks awful. The all white look kind of works in App Store and iTunes because of all the color in the content, but here everything is white and the navigation bar doesnt even match with the App Store or iTunes which are black

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
www.passsource.com

That's how I made the Pet Perks and Kroger card above.
I wonder if they'll work.
Man that's confusing. I went to make a store card and there's a hundred questions for things I don't know! I just want to enter a barcode number! And no way to preview it. It also created a weird blocky pixel style code and not a barcode. I need a traditional barcode.

Vyer

The little data popup when you tap on places in Maps is pretty cool.

Maps needs work, but if it gets it and continues to evolve I'm interested in seeing what it becomes.

Looks like United Airlines has updated their app to include Passbook support. I can see a lot of airlines doing this since they should already have the infrastructure set up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm not sure if I trust that passsource site. I wouldn't use it for gift cards, what if someone steals your numbers somehow, lol

Top Bottom