• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Blackhead

Redarse
Right. I just was confused (and a little disappointed) that iMessage is an iPhone only club. I was spoiled by google voice, where from my desktop I could respond to *everyone's* texts, not just people who are registered with iMessage.

yeah bummer that it doesn't at least give an alert for, or let you send, all sms/mms messages., I'm still holding out hope that the new bluetooth profile support will be a workaround.

Tr4nce

Ok GAF. After the initial 'oh my god why is the top menu bar blue' impression, I think I really like this update. App Store looks much better and the iTunes app as well. I really like that the app let's you continue to listen to a preview of a track, even when you want to browse further in the iTunes store. Still don't understand why they are not landscape compatible though. I'm also thinking about switching from iCab Mobile as my main browser to Safari now that it can be used full screen.

Also does anyone know how to get into the Options section in this new Safari? Or is there no Options menu?

Heel

Hope it's soon. Just tried using the web version and the quality is noticeably worse plus I'm not seeing the ability to fullscreen Safari on the iPad or am I missing something? Irritating having to watch videos with the Safari UI. Youtube content is what I spend most of my iPad time doing :(

Anyone else finding maps to be very slow? Alot of grey boxes taking their time to load. Could just be the servers getting slammed.

Use the cog on the player and you can set 720p etc. if the video allows it (mine does this automatically, might be a setting somewhere?).

No true fullscreen, not that it'd make the video any bigger...but yeah I understand your gripe.

I just updated an app without having to give my password, please tell me that wasn't a glitch

it doesnt ask you for the password if you used a password recently when downloading or loging into Apple ID. If you close your session (AKA the phone screen turns off, the session turns off too)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
it doesnt ask you for the password if you used a password recently when downloading or loging into Apple ID. If you close your session (AKA the phone screen turns off, the session turns off too)

True, but iOS 6 also never asks you for your password when you update apps (regardless of which Apple ID you downloaded the app with vs the one you're signed into at the moment).

AngryMoth

Thinking about it now and I'm really struggling for a reason to update my iPad 2. Passbook and turn by turn I'll have on my new phone when it arrives, and I'd rather hold onto the old maps app for streetview. Don't care at all about facebook integration or shared photo streams, and 5 is still running great so I'd rather just stay on it for another year. Disappointing year for iOS, hope they bring their A game next time. Live icons and an open siri api are my big wants.

buhdeh

Thinking about it now and I'm really struggling for a reason to update my iPad 2. Passbook and turn by turn I'll have on my new phone when it arrives, and I'd rather hold onto the old maps app for streetview. Don't care at all about facebook integration or shared photo streams, and 5 is still running great so I'd rather just stay on it for another year. Disappointing year for iOS, hope they bring their A game next time. Live icons and an open siri api are my big wants.

Just stay on 5 til Google releases their apps.

pacman85

anyone else in the usa try to update over the air and have it say you are already up to date when all you have is the latest beta to ios 6.0 (not the gm) on an iphone 4 (or any ios device for that matter)?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
anyone else in the usa try to update over the air and have it say you are already up to date when all you have is the latest beta to ios 6.0 (not the gm) on an iphone 4 (or any ios device for that matter)?

You can't do an OTA udpate from Beta to Final.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ah. There we go. I had to reboot my phone for some reason. I was getting an unusual error "the apps installed on the phone could not be determined". Now it seems to be working again. Not sure why my phone had a more difficult time.

Also, as I've determined in the ML thread, I will not be using FaceBook Contacts syncing because it does not know how to properly deal with friends who use a different name on FaceBook than they do in my phone. For example, my dad goes by Bob and Robert in different places. My brother uses a humorous name on FaceBook where our last name is changed to Ampersand. So it makes duplicates. Not only that but it just clutters the crap out of my contacts.

If there's no other benefit to having syncing turned on, I'm just going to keep it off.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ah. There we go. I had to reboot my phone for some reason. I was getting an unusual error "the apps installed on the phone could not be determined". Now it seems to be working again. Not sure why my phone had a more difficult time.

Also, as I've determined in the ML thread, I will not be using FaceBook Contacts syncing because it does not know how to properly deal with friends who use a different name on FaceBook than they do in my phone. For example, my dad goes by Bob and Robert in different places. My brother uses a humorous name on FaceBook where our last name is changed to Ampersand. So it makes duplicates. Not only that but it just clutters the crap out of my contacts.

If there's no other benefit to having syncing turned on, I'm just going to keep it off.

It grabs photos for use as contact pictures. Although I'm not sure that's a benefit or not. :p

So I thought one of the features of iOS6 was the app store no longer requiring a password to update apps? But it's still asking for one and I don't see an option to turn it off.

Also no a la carte YouTube app for iPad yet like there is on iPhone. That sucks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

You can then link those duplicates together to clean up.
I like it as it give pictures to some of my contacts.

Still like WP7's integration just a bit better but this is fine.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I thought one of the features of iOS6 was the app store no longer requiring a password to update apps? But it's still asking for one and I don't see an option to turn it off.

Also no a la carte YouTube app for iPad yet like there is on iPhone. That sucks.

It will ask you for your password until you've reviewed the new Terms of Use agreement (it sometimes does not pop up on the device).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It grabs photos for use as contact pictures. Although I'm not sure that's a benefit or not. :p
You can do that separately for any contacts you do have so no big deal. In fact, somehow it grabbed the right photo for my brother, the one with the funny name, but still could not determine he was the same person when downloading the contacts.

I mean the unique FaceBook username is there for a reason. Makes no sense that iOS6 can't use it right.

Why is the clock icon on the iPad so much nicer looking? I wish the iPhone one was white too.

Also, gosh darnit, it's iOS6 and we still don't have automatic updating icons for the clock and weather. Nor do we have a weather app for the iPad. It's not that hard to code it in. They do it for the calendar. It's against the Human Interface Guidelines or something to have only the calendar update because it fools the user into thinking the other icons are correct too. Just give us a clock with the proper time and a weather app with the proper icon for your current location. That's literally all I want out of iOS7.

And all I wanted from iOS6.

And all I wanted from iOS5..

And iOS4...

*sigh*

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You can do that separately for any contacts you do have so no big deal. In fact, somehow it grabbed the right photo for my brother, the one with the funny name, but still could not determine he was the same person when downloading the contacts.

I mean the unique FaceBook username is there for a reason. Makes no sense that iOS6 can't use it right.

Why is the clock icon on the iPad so much nicer looking? I wish the iPhone one was white too.

Also, gosh darnit, it's iOS6 and we still don't have automatic updating icons for the clock and weather. Nor do we have a weather app for the iPad. It's not that hard to code it in. They do it for the calendar. It's against the Human Interface Guidelines or something to have only the calendar update because it fools the user into thinking the other icons are correct too. Just give us a clock with the proper time and a weather app with the proper icon for your current location. That's literally all I want out of iOS7.

And all I wanted from iOS6.

And all I wanted from iOS5..

And iOS4...

*sigh*

Weather is built-into the Clock app on iPad. ;-)

Chittagong

Gold Member
So my AppStore turned inexplicably to German with the iOS6 update (my Apple ID is UK based). I had to log out and in again to get it speak English again. Now AppStore is totally borked, nothing loads properly and everything is laggy. This just might be the shakiest iOS release yet.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I have iTunes Match but I don't want to stream some of my songs, I want it to be like the old way when you could download them so I don't have to stream all my songs over 3g. Is there anyway how?

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm trying to wrap my head around how this constitutes as a full version upgrade for an OS. Is there a full feature listing somewhere? The changes aren't obvious to me (other than Siri on my new iPad and the new maps app), and it's just odd to see people on my Facebook feed fellating themselves over this.

Just makes me think Apple has people absolutely snowed, including me.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have iTunes Match but I don't want to stream some of my songs, I want it to be like the old way when you could download them so I don't have to stream all my songs over 3g. Is there anyway how?

You can download entire Artists or Albums like before, just not individual songs. You can initiate album downloads and then cancel individually however.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can Android users see Emoji sent from iOS? (i'm guessing not?)

not by default (Apple has their own emoji thing going on) but, as always, there are apps and workarounds you can get on Android to see and reply Emoji from iOS users
In certain apps yes. Facebook and What's app are two I know of. Text messaging no. Emails I don't know.

You use messaging apps like GoSMS to see Emoji in text messages

Top Bottom