• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2014: This reads like paid advertising, narrated by Tom Hiddleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ioPs3Ht2eLoVm.png

ibs45gwg3znP5L.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month.
All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

issq3pkvt2NKA.png

iTgvQ6IGOyZpe.png

iLm5LXANvlv2Q.png

iLNymYx7eBJCc.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Really enjoying Epic Eric. Could be a tad more difficult but it's charming, fun, and has some great level design. Another excellent display of the versatility of one touch controls
The game really gets alot more interesting the further you get. There is a lovely rube-goldberg feel to some of the more complex later levels that is sure to put a smile on your face. It is during these levels that the swing mechanics come into their own. I found them very satisfying once I got used to the various gadgets, and before long found myself subverting the level design, swinging over platforms and skipping swings, absolutely owning it.

I quite like the music, but I did play most of the game on mute, cos I'm at work. :)

Also, I can confirm that new levels are due as soon as next week, with a promise of a higher difficulty level. Which is exciting. There is so much scope for future updates.

ibBtpw1em9lL7.png

iJVY3ceNdm7T5.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I got this from a promo code I found in Twitter a few days ago. Played it a lot. You have to control a spaceship with relative touch (not touch to go up) and have to guide it through caves and avoiding the floor, ceiling and falling rocks. The game is divided into 4 different difficulties. The first one is a tutorial. PRO is where it all starts. This game is fast and intense and I quite like it. Been having fun with it. Feels like a much less frustrating version of Wave Wave. And this is a very good thing.

ieY9aFCjlM7zx.png

irp5VtnIFs8IE.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

The Nightmare Cooperative... is freakishly addictive, I love it. The presentation is beautiful, and the rogue like puzzle gameplay managing different heroes at the same time is wonderful. I like the potions, you dont have to choose from a list of things and wonder, here, if you wantm you pick up a potion and do the stuff with your hero of choice. So far, there is always your choice. It strategic and effective. I also like that enemies left behind stay behind, the enemies, the gold for score thing... everything. Its so well thought and balanced. I love it.

iC8A1OfV69Wlb.png

iKl89fmJ54AK4.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

No multiplayer but apparently the dev has been bombarded by mp requests so it's not ruled out in the future (or a sequel) but it will require a heavy rewrite of the code.

So far I'm really loving it, even if I'm not that into management simulations (but I do love motorsports).
It has the right depth (not too much...I do not like ultra complex simulations) but absolutely not casual...I've found if you do not follow closely the race and timings you have no chances...playing it on fast forward always is not an option if you want to proceed.
It really touches the right balance spot...even race lenght is perfect for the medium.
Trying to win first tier now...after all burocatic things have been sorted out (contracts sealed, engineers hired, factory upgraded, sponsors found).
I'm betting everything on a new young pilot...made him first pilot and supporting him constantly.
Signing the second pilot was not that easy.
His fans are RAGING on the fake twitter stream in the game (just brilliant).
The reliability of Motorsport Manager seems to have improved with yesterday's update, so that's good.

I've just finished my first season, scraping through to claim the driver's and constructor's titles in the last race. The game is brilliantly structured for the most part, but there are a few important omissions at times that make it very hard to know what's going on.

For example, as I mentioned before, it doesn't seem like you're able to browse the driver and engineering markets before considering whether to retain staff, which is a bit of a problem, and the fact that the tutorial tips seem spread out over the space of the season leaves you in the dark about certain strategies until later races. I know in real racing if you're stuck behind someone then it's often best to hold off a bit and save your tyres, but does this game model that? You'll only find out when it eventually decides to let you know!

But as I said, a very good effort. Easily the best racing management sim since GPM2 (not that there have been many).

iLSuinS4gqePg.png

ibjvoQ6awDv33q.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

The Firm is a twitch game. It reminds me of the game Critter Panic from Chaotic Box. You have to choose the good stocks, swiping the ones you want to the right and the ones you dont to the other side. And to mix things up there are brown cards that act the opposite and you have to swipe the correct one left or right. Its not my kind of game but its polished, fast and twitchy. Love the graphics, vibrant and colorful. You rank and get power ups that you can buy on the shop but the prices are too expensive, no IAP. The more I play it the more I like it. Its fast, frantic, twitchy and done with style.

i5xKtusgEsVFv.png

iGnABb4os2v26.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

The tower defense. A mainstay of the IOS platform, Sentinel 4: Dark Star doesn't bend that familiar structure, but rather refines and improves on it, delivering the series' best entry to date.

You know the drill here. Each level you're presented with a path, and you pace defenses to protect your base from encroaching waves of enemies. While the core mechanics are standard, it's Sentinel's wealth of tactics and content that makes it one of the best tower defense games on the platforms. Your armory is massive. Towers, from the lowly laser to shielders and bombs and many more, all with stats that can be upgraded. Drones that hover overheard, healing structures or attacking enemies. Droids that are placed on the path itself. Your Sentinel's weapons, allowing you to call down a hail of missiles or ground-searing laser from above. Your Commander, with skills to unlock, weapons to equip, and different models to choose from. Combine these myriad options and you have a vast array of strategies to deploy against equally varied foes that attack from every angle, can damage your turrets. Even the planet itself is out to antagonize you, as some levels have environmental hazards like dust storms and earthquakes that hinder your tactics.

ibv9XvKE4YayaR.png

ibjRxure5IDsbf.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

After ten seconds in the first stage, you know exactly what Pako is about. Control your vehicle in increasingly cluttered mazes of houses, streets, and other cars as a growing legion of cops close in. One collision into a wall, a police car, a light post ends your run. Only through deft evasion and skillful maneuvering can you achieve a high score and climb the leaderboards.

Pako’s gameplay is simple, but the game is never dull. Each area offers a new twist on that core gameplay seen in the first stage. You evade police in a small mall parking lot. You thread a hearse through rows of tombstones as zombies rise from the dirt. You weave between traffic on a freeway and dodge cannon fire from tanks in a rickshaw. The controls take some getting used as you adjust to the physics of each vehicle, but prove to be responsive, allowing you to pull off tight turns and donuts with ease. A great soundtrack and stylish visuals complement the action.
Picked this up last night after seeing it earlier in the thread and it totally giving me nostalgia vibes for Skidmarks on the Amiga.

I like it, but I can't help but think the first car park level and car combination need the controls tightened up just a smidgeon. The perspective kind of works against itself too as it is easy to have zero time to react to a police car coming at you in many circumstances depending on which direction you are traveling.

Some of the later levels feel quite restrictive as well compared to the car park, though the muscle car feels great to drive.

Having fun, but I think I'd be having more if it was actually just the muscle car in the car park level.

iwW7q7eeohkNo.png

iGnABb4os2v26.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

WARNING: paid advertisement incoming.

Star Realms is fantastic.
The app is good, not stellar....its PC and maybe Android heritages are evident...I would have preferred an app made for iOS only in mind.
On iPhone playing without zooming on every card is impossible, it lacks a friend list so far and it doesn't show the badge on the icon.
On iPad you can play without even zooming.

That said, the game is fantastic....I'm loving it.
If you like deck builders, don't miss it.

ibpuAtiVTowcBl.png

ijsjTjXEY1qCb.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I am a huge endless runner fan, basically my 10 top games are mostly endless games: sideways, going up, down, match-3, arena fighters, and so on.

The first thing that caught my eye was the quality of the animations and the voice acting, its like the show. Then I looked around and found plenty of achievements, leaderboards and a lot of different things you meet in game to unlock. Its full of content. Characters, enemies, bosses, obstacles, power.ups, and many many more... awesome, I like how this is going so far. Next I tapped Play. After a short and nice tutorial I was ready for it. I knew how to punch, how to charge, how to jump and the controls for free roaming left and right were great. The game started. The speed of the game feels right and there is always something to keep you busy, you can punch enemies and the bigger one require combos, some timed multiple hits, its feel so right and its so much fun. Each time the game starts it randomly chooses between 4 types of missions and you have to, for example, collect fruit, chase bats or -what completely sky rocketed my interest in this game through the roof and to the moon- the way the game throws in special events and powerups. And those events are amazing, like the battle with the skeleton (or another one with a sword), where your character actually stops and fights the boss like the first or second God of War -maybe a little bit simpler, well, a lot simpler- where you evade his attacks and hit him back, and even has a finishing move. Solid. Fun. Awesome.

I kept going and the game just kept on giving, there is actually a full story mode that plays like a Campaign, with many different environments your you to run in, many different events, and a ton of things to discover and unlock. All with a coat of polish never seen before on this genre. Honestly, I can say that we are in front on the best endless runner ever existed. Its the game I always wanted. A game Thank you Cartoon Network for this. Fans of the genre get it now, the one who are tired of the genre also need to pick this up, and really, anybody who is interested should play it.
Buy this game now people.
Controls: You tilt Finn left and right to change lanes, tap left to jump, right to punch.

Objective: you messed up Time and you have to fix it by collecting...well, you'll see. To do tbis, you run ahead through a series of mini quests each with a different objective. This can be rescuing a friend from monsters chasing them, collecting pie, delivering a character somewhere etc. You need to collect gems to move on to next stage. Every number of quests you can manage through non stop directly correlates to number of gems (beat one quest=1 gem; beat second quest = 2 gems etc). When you unlock enough gems, you unlock next stage but not before beating a boss fight!

It sounds repetitive but the enemy variety, and strategies, along with fast speed and beautiful environments keep it flowing.

You can also call an ally to come help you whether it is to provide invincibility, increase your run speed etc.

ixykVo6tjy3U5.png

iH3xHqAzdVK1f.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

None here yet! But hop into this thread for impressions: Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

iDgrH99S6yb6l.png

iboGCFGDo5HWNM.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

If you want to REALLY feel old...buy Rules! by Coding Monkey's (Carcassonne and Lost Cities).

Usual sleekness and polish for a very different game compared to their previous masterpieces.

I do not even know how to describe the game...reminds me the old 'Simon'.
You have to follow a certain rule (like 'tap all green icons' or 'tap icons in descending order' and so on) within a certain time constraint...the more you play, the more rules are added (they are numbered) and the game just tell you 'Tap all greens'...then...follow rule 2 (which you must remember, they are always the same each time at least).

It's a lot of fun so far....but I can't see myself getting past level 5-6 (out of 100).

Clearly all people above me in the leaderboards are cheating somehow :)
Rules! is everything. EVERYTHING!!

ibx0EwY0X362js.png

iM86Ro1fbWcK9.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I brought this game after seeing a preview on Pocket Tactics thinking it was a good concept. You are a French valet for an English Gentleman in a late 19th Century Steampunk influenced Universe. You are tasked with traveling around the world in 80 days or under, this involves planning and finding routes, making sure your master stays healthy, talking to locals and importantly making sure your funds are large enough to advance further in your travels.

My first trip around the world lasted 91 days, I was making good gains in Europe and made a huge profit selling Persian clothes to the Indian markets. My character accidentally smoked opium in Hong Kong much to the displeasure of my master and things started to take a turn for the worse. After boarding a ferry to San Fransisco the captain of the ship decided to navigate to another island. I tried to engineer a mutiny and take control of the ship by exploiting religious divides in the mixed European Chinese crew, I also charmed the hard working workers below deck and spread rumors about the character of the captain. Alas the attempted mutiny failed and we were chucked off the ship and mocked by the captain. As I lay on the island waiting for a ferry to take us to San Fransisco I realized we were now not going to make it around the world in 80 days. A passing islander asked me why I was traveling and why I didn't enjoy the beauty of the island? My character contemplated this thought for a moment and questioned the very reasons for his loyalty to his master but I chose to push on and at least make sure we returned to London.

After this I was held up by Jesse James, got beaten in a boxing match and met a spy on the way to England. Before this event I delivered a baby, strolled the coast of Italy marveling at her beauty and was transported to Delhi by a walking city.

I have used this little story and the above example to illustrate the appeal of this game, it is a Universe in which you can make choices but more importantly feel part of. The map itself is beautiful, allowing you to plan your next move and see the progress of friends and other travelers. The script is very well written and the world feels familiar but also alien.

It is the perfect game to dedicate time to and sit with while drinking a cup of tea or even a glass of port to really capture the occasion. Conversely it lends itself to a quick turn while you are on your own train commute.

A brilliant game and one that would only really work on the tablet medium. If you have any interest in story driven games, the 19th century or interactive fiction I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Now I am off a rather nasty Spaniard has insulted my master and I must demand satisfaction!
I write for a hobby. Short stories, parts of stories, game impressions and previews. There's something quite magical about how mere characters and letters can transport you to some new worlds, breathe life into exotic beings and otherworldly places. 80 Days is the newest interactive fiction/visual novel masterpiece from inkle and it has absolutely stunned me with its compelling worldbuilding and engaging story.

Inspired by the classic Jules Verne novel, you are the companion and valet of an English traveler extraordinaire, driven by a wager to circumnavigate the world in 80 days. Like inkle's previous games, the narrative is especially well-written, bringing the era, characters, and locations to life and offering a vast array of choices and scenarios that shape your journey. Your route is defined by more than just your dialogue and decisions, but also trading items on various world markets, your relationship with your partner and master, and other variables.

But what makes 80 Days so compelling for me is the incredible world that inkle has crafted. It's a world of conflict and turmoil, of walking cities and submersible trans-Atlantic railways, of revolutions and spies. Your goal may be to circle the globe, but each city offers new distinct wonders and there are dozens of cities spanning the world, giving the game a scope that few can match. Planning your trip, forging connections and relationships, learning new more efficient routes to new places gives 80 Days a sense of urgency and tension. The social aspect, which lets you see other players' routes as they travel in real time, adds to that urgency.

80 Days is a compelling experience that is a must play for fans of interactive fiction and visual novels

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

ibguCE4JFEtaoM.png

ibqma76mK2zwqV.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Played a little of Micromon and so far I'm liking it.

Yes it has dual currencies, but the gems are mainly for vanity items and eggs.

Eggs are used to spin a wheel to get a rare Micromon. You can catch any Micromon in the wild (some obviously more rare than others), but the advantage of the Pokemon acquired through the egg is that it will always have a DR (Development Rate) of 10, while Pokemon in the wild can have different degrees of DR (up to 10). Development Rate is basically stats growth.

That means that a Pikachu from an egg will always end up stronger than a Pikachu from the wild (unless you are lucky enough to find one with DR10), which probably breaks multiplayer. It's harmless for single player though.

One nice thing about the game is that each Micromon is qualified by how rare they are - ranging from common to ultra rare, legendary, etc - and when you find a monster this info is displayed so you immediately know how rare a monster is. With Pokemon, sometimes I didn't know if I wanted to catch one or not because I had no idea how rare it was.

Oh, and the game looks absolutely lovely.

Can't say if the game will hold up, but so far so good.
Micromon is alright. I think I'm thrown off by it being a bit dissimilar to Pokemon in formula. In Pokemon I can ignore wild battles and focus only on trainer battles. There are significantly fewer trainers in Micromon it seems, and it seems expected to grind against the wild mons, which are several levels higher than my monsters rather than several levels lower like in Pokemon. Only at the first area though. Maybe there are more trainers later.

Feels like a grindy game though. A bit moreso than Pokemon maybe. But then again I'm focusing on a team of 6 rather than just focusing on my starter. And I've much more experience with Pokemon and its formula.

im0o0P4J1pWne.png

iEaN4DMMr91DW.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Great high score shooter with opportunities to upgrade your ship as you progress through rounds. Worth a DL.

i6m5OzZet7cvC.png

iySORpEfGiO9n.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Yep. Deep Loot is about as addictive and brilliant as I was hoping. Totally compulsive, loads of charm, plenty of polish. Absolutely essential at the very reasonable price of free. Although I paid for the coin doubler.
Deep Loot is another to keep an eye on, from what very little I've tried it's basically a turn-based (!) version of Jetpack Joyride but vertical instead of horizontal, and with mining and collecting elements in the game. It also has a couple of (two) positive impressions. Seems like it could be a great game if you liked JJ but found it too hectic and want something paced a bit friendlier.
It's fantastic. It is indeed comparable to Jet pack Joyride, but it's not an endless runner, and it's much more relaxing. The controls are perfectly designed to complement the mobile nature of the game, and the unlocks and rewards will keep you coming back for more. I've sunk hours into it since launching on Thursday, and will spend many more until I've unlocked all dem boats! It's also a love letter to all sorts of pop culture icons. Lovely, nerdy, compulsive, excellent.

ic20Kf6xrbfU.png

iT0sxkdI1C9wa.png

ippJAuUVwHtsA.png

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

i40V1aSElAjkz.png

ib1hjIkU55EmU4.jpg

ibwnvHolBf9yFz.jpg

MOGA Ace Power Controller reviews said:

iq4XyeMdqqoju.png

iPyNA27sLHkAs.jpg

i6hCLZPjCl5ip.jpg

iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

iOUdKomG1O1K3.png

if6jTSmBmYIcK.png

iIxEI6FTPvnDN.png

iURls2MgTbWFY.jpg

iOS Membership said:
Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

ibgtQNEI0Jnx7a.png

iYwHcbz7wbGBq.jpg

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

idg3hDZGrbbeF.png

How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2 / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome.

For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.

I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iizlxIqJuSAnx.png

Thanks to Fuu & Dash Kappei for handling the community list's past/present duties, Dash Kappei for running the iOS Challenges, past OT hosts for having done a wonderful job and finally to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these threads alive!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tail end of last thread:

/!\ Free Game Alert /!\

IGN free game this month is the TWD season 2 episode 1, thought this was already available elsewhere for free earlier.

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/walkingdead-2-free

Never thought I'd actually get into iPhone games but I'm really enjoying Wayward Souls and was pleasantly surprised. Controls work, musics good, looks good, etc.

Deemo is an excellent time killer/short time thing too.

I really enjoyed your write-up for 80 days. You have a talent.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! Actually I write about indie games on my blog Indie Game Enthusiast and recently started as a freelance writer for Game Mob. It's a hobby and passion for me, love helping developers and spreading the word about cool games

(Apologies if that counts as self-promotion, I know that's frowned upon here)

RM8

I'm not sure how I managed to miss Uncanny X-Men - Days of Future Past! It's honestly pretty okay. It's weird that I had never read anything about it until today. It's a very basic action platformer, but it's fun and I'm a sucker for X-Men games with several playable characters and stuff.

Also, am I the only fan of iOS gaming and Pokémon that doesn't find Micromon appealing at all? It's just... no. I'll play the real thing. If it's good, it's cool that there's finally a competent alternative on iOS, though!

Micromon has some weird balance issues I think.

Confusion: Not only makes you damage yourself, but also causes you to be unable to act for the turn you are confused on. And most often inflicted by a damage dealing move. Unlike Pokemon it doesn't go away when you switch either. Devastating when inflicted on you. I think it is by far the most powerful status in the game, unfairly so in my opinion.

Stat changing moves: Seem to never be worth it. Costs 1 turn, and then doesn't last for long. To be fair, Pokemon has this problem as well for single-player. And even in competitive Pokemon the only stat changing moves are ones that either change more than one stat, or change a stat by two or more stages. Thankfully a lot of damage dealing moves have a % chance to inflict a stat change. These are the only good ones.

Evolved forms seem to always have lower speed than their preevolutions. Which is weird given how huge an advantage extra turns are in this game (which speed determines). All my evolved mons have a speed of 2. The highest speed I've seen is 4, which only seems to exist for unevolved mons. Maybe this changes later? I'm only in the second zone.

Useless moves: There's a move called Blinding Light, which has a 35% chance to stun the enemy for a turn. This makes it a high risk high reward if you're mon has a high enough speed to get double turns after the opponent's skipped turn. But otherwise it has literally no use. It will skip their turn, then you get a turn, and then it is their turn... you basically just waste stamina using the move. And some other moves are like this as well. Why should I ever use Air Pellet when Wind Wall has the same exact damage but also has a chance to lower enemy speed?

Don't get me wrong, Micromon is a fun game, and it isn't like other mon games don't have some of these problems despite being around for years.

Also, am I the only fan of iOS gaming and Pokémon that doesn't find Micromon appealing at all? It's just... no. I'll play the real thing. If it's good, it's cool that there's finally a competent alternative on iOS, though!

Eh. I like mon capturing/battling games. And for .99 cents I can't complain. I actually think it is a better deal than Pokemon, but that's primarily because I don't enjoy breeding and raising ingame teams.

ATTENTION! The new Mad Bullets update is live & downloadable from the App Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mad-bullets/id770839469

As mentioned earlier, we've tried to handle every complaint. So here's the complete list which hopefully makes Mad Bullets much more enjoyable!

- 5 new upgrade categories: red bullet score, item time, projectile score, boost price, headshot score
- Collect sacks from friends! Improve your highscore and performance to get bonus sacks regularly.
- The HUD (head up display) rumbles when getting hit.
- Disabling ADs means the first Revive will be completely FREE!
- Disabling ADs doesn't disable the "Watch a video" option during Revive sequences.
- All in-app purchases (except the 500 Sacks Pack) disables ADs too.
- Skip button to skip the Revive sequence.
- Actual highscore gets displayed during Revive sequences.
- Rating opportunity on Revive sequences for a FREE revive.
- Boost items displays boost descriptions when tapping on them.
- Boost items can be bought or cancelled with a drag & drop method.
- The Double Points powerup displays the multiplier on the floating scores.
- Mad Bullets hashtag for social messages (facebook & twitter).
- New Rank Up animation.
- Goals button on Results screen.
- Reduced price for Goal skippings.
- Rumble ON/OFF button in the options menu.
- Result screen displays ingame collected sacks and actual score.
- The less bombs and more star boosts are more effective.

Several bugfixes:
- Fixed a bug where the friends list didn't display the friends properly.
- Fixed a bug where the sack doubler in-app purchase didn't count into mission progresses.
- Fixed a bug where the ingame sound wasn't disabled during video ads.
- Minor bugfixes.

TP17

Thanks for alerting to me to the 80 days release. Love the Sorcery! games by inkle so have high hopes for this.

heringer

Micromon has some weird balance issues I think.

Confusion: Not only makes you damage yourself, but also causes you to be unable to act for the turn you are confused on. And most often inflicted by a damage dealing move. Unlike Pokemon it doesn't go away when you switch either. Devastating when inflicted on you. I think it is by far the most powerful status in the game, unfairly so in my opinion.

Stat changing moves: Seem to never be worth it. Costs 1 turn, and then doesn't last for long. To be fair, Pokemon has this problem as well for single-player. And even in competitive Pokemon the only stat changing moves are ones that either change more than one stat, or change a stat by two or more stages. Thankfully a lot of damage dealing moves have a % chance to inflict a stat change. These are the only good ones.

Evolved forms seem to always have lower speed than their preevolutions. Which is weird given how huge an advantage extra turns are in this game (which speed determines). All my evolved mons have a speed of 2. The highest speed I've seen is 4, which only seems to exist for unevolved mons. Maybe this changes later? I'm only in the second zone.

Useless moves: There's a move called Blinding Light, which has a 35% chance to stun the enemy for a turn. This makes it a high risk high reward if you're mon has a high enough speed to get double turns after the opponent's skipped turn. But otherwise it has literally no use. It will skip their turn, then you get a turn, and then it is their turn... you basically just waste stamina using the move. And some other moves are like this as well. Why should I ever use Air Pellet when Wind Wall has the same exact damage but also has a chance to lower enemy speed?

Don't get me wrong, Micromon is a fun game, and it isn't like other mon games don't have some of these problems despite being around for years.

Eh. I like mon capturing/battling games. And for .99 cents I can't complain. I actually think it is a better deal than Pokemon, but that's primarily because I don't enjoy breeding and raising ingame teams.

Indeed. Some moves are useless or, at best, very situational. It's the kind of thing that they can easily fix with updates though, and hopefully they will soon.

As for the evolved forms, some retain the speed. I have one like that, and you would think it's one of the best monsters, but it's very weak (and he is an ultra rare).Its a trade off really. My other monsters are slower but much stronger. Speed is a way to make unevolved forms more viable.

Yesterday I caught an ultra rare with dr10 in the wild. So lucky. :D

Looking for a good hack-slash/dungeon crawler. Was going to get Godfire, but the reviews and impressions turned me off, so I'm looking for something similar. Fun combat, a lot of different weapons and armor to equip, etc.

Narrowed my list down to Archangel, Echo Prime, Iesabel, and Dungeon Hunter 2 (only getting one). Any thoughts on those or any other suggestions?

Li Kao

Hey guys, what's the verdict on Final Fantasy I or II for IOS ? Price is a little steep but I could see myself working my way through the series at last.

Indeed. Some moves are useless or, at best, very situational. It's the kind of thing that they can easily fix with updates though, and hopefully they will soon.

As for the evolved forms, some retain the speed. I have one like that, and you would think it's one of the best monsters, but it's very weak (and he is an ultra rare).Its a trade off really. My other monsters are slower but much stronger. Speed is a way to make unevolved forms more viable.

Yesterday I caught an ultra rare with dr10 in the wild. So lucky. :D

Hmm so rarity doesn't perfectly correlate with strength? That's kind of nice honestly.

mr_toa

Looking for a good hack-slash/dungeon crawler. Was going to get Godfire, but the reviews and impressions turned me off, so I'm looking for something similar. Fun combat, a lot of different weapons and armor to equip, etc.

Narrowed my list down to Archangel, Echo Prime, Iesabel, and Dungeon Hunter 2 (only getting one). Any thoughts on those or any other suggestions?

Iesabel is more than serviable. It's ever so slightly janky, and the loot system isn't that hot. Price just went back up to $6, but goes on sale quite often though.

heringer

While playing Micromon I was thinking, is there a good Pokemon clone other than the Dragon Quest Monsters series? I don't really remember any...

Godfire just got an update that addresses the combat, making more fluid and dynamic (according to the log). It's on sale too. Why don't you take the bullet and give us your impressions? :D

Li Kao

Am I the only one interested in FF games ? :-S
Can't blame you, really my ocd / completist side talking when I say I would like to play them again and in order.

On another note, someone said Haypi Monsters was a good monster collecting game in the Micromon thread, but can someone explain to me what the fuck the "Venide" version are ? When you search for Haypi Monsters on the app store you have what seems to be two versions of each game.

Edit - And about Puzzle & Dragons, are the US and EU versions on par or does the EU have less content ?
So many questions today, sorry ^^

GeekyDad

Just picked up Liberation Maiden a few days ago (a game I wanted for 3DS, but I'm left-handed). I played through the introduction, and though I really enjoyed the presentation and vibe of the game, I really don't feel like I know what I'm shooting at. The game walks you through everything, but it's hard to discern onscreen the targets the game mentions in the tutorials.

Tips?

PFD

Have you played Wild Blood? It's a 3rd person Unreal engine game from Gameloft, and I found it very enjoyable. Iesabel is a good top-down dungeon crawler.

PittaGAF

Did you play ORC: Vengeance ?
I liked it more than Iesabel and DH2 (didn't play the others)...but it was a long ago, not sure if there is something recent better.

EDIT: if you do, play it on the hardest possible setting...not sure if they addressed it but when it came out, IMHO its biggest problem was that is was too easy. Everything else was cool tough.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
New thread, I'll try again!

Is the new Peggle ruined by IAP, or is it ok to update?

Ta!

I took a quick look and it doesn't seem like there is any major change there, just a $1 IAP for new levels though I don't know whether or not that was there before.

They haven't changed anything towards the Peggle F2P version that I can see.

Pachimari

So should I go for Final Fantasy V for the story or should I get Final Fantasy VI?

I'm looking for the best story, and any of them have love elements?

SeanR1221

Something weird happened last night.

I couldn't stop playing Modern Combat 5 multiplayer.

I'm not a fan of the controls and I only have like a .85 k/d ratio but I just kept playing. And playing. And playing.

DodgerSan

I took a quick look and it doesn't seem like there is any major change there, just a $1 IAP for new levels though I don't know whether or not that was there before.

They haven't changed anything towards the Peggle F2P version that I can see.

Thanks!

Abandond

I regret buying Godfire. Why can't I move in combat? It just makes me feel really stupid to fight anything.. is this unlocked later on or something? Because right now I'm going to chalk it up as a waste of $3. Kinda wish I just went with Wild Blood instead, maybe once it goes on sale.

I like Micromon, it feels tough but I am only in the first area as of now.

Flunkie

Banned
Something satisfying about grinding and filling XP bars in Micromon, and I typically didn't "get" or like Pokemon growing up, really.

Oh, and Minsc, about the whole Deep Loot/Jetpack Joyride thing in the last thread: I didn't want it to sound like I was trashing your opinion. Your last paragraph explaining why it felt like JJ to you makes sense. I was talking from more of a gameplay perspective, but I can see how you might draw parallels to the the overall style and progression of the game.

Just picked up Liberation Maiden a few days ago (a game I wanted for 3DS, but I'm left-handed). I played through the introduction, and though I really enjoyed the presentation and vibe of the game, I really don't feel like I know what I'm shooting at. The game walks you through everything, but it's hard to discern onscreen the targets the game mentions in the tutorials.

Tips?

Shoot anything that is outlined in bright red or purple, basically. Also, purple buildings and structures contribute to a level's purification percentage (they turn into plant life when hit).

This is the type of game where it will help to learn level layouts, because you will sometimes have to find enemy targets by yourself.

Ieu

I'm thinking about replacing my 32GB 4th gen iPod touch with the 64GB 5th gen version currently discounted on dabs. Does gaf think this is wise or should I wait until October to see what is announced.

For what it's worth I am not going to get an iPhone.

PittaGAF

So what's everyone playing atm?

Galactic Keep: Dice wars :p
(can't really play anything else single player).

Plus my usual async games (Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Dungeon Heroes, Battle of the Bulge).

Waiting for Star Realms finally being approved in the AppStore (after 2 consecutive rejections already...).

colinp

Banned
Alright, the new Crazy Taxi game is kinda really fun. Wonder how terrible the timers and paywall is, but early goings are good solid stuff. Shit, makes me all misty for the first game on the Dreamcast!

killercow

Ahahaha, so there is! That's crazy! I dunno, I kinda want to play with a DC controller ;)

Have you tried it? Are the controls any good? The reviews are all quite positive.

Well it's everything I remembered from the Xbox/Dreamcast version.

It's got the same soundtrack, the same gameplay and the same game modes.

It controls well in touch (not a fan of tilt but you can activate it) but there's no MFi controller support (it came out a while ago).

If you want the exact same game on the go, well... Here... you... go!

SeanR1221

In Micromon is there only one "Pokemon center" (the opening lab)? If so, that really sucks and I'm constantly running back there to heal since I have barely any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom