• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

Out There Omega Edition is on sale for $1.99

Now onto working on the September thread

Any more title suggestions?

Think I might go with "| GOing back to school with a backlog" to work in a Lara Croft GO reference

Matt Frost

Is This War of Mine compatible with the iPhone? I am very interested on that one...

And also, how are the updated controls of The Adventures of Pip? Is as good as some people say?

Out There Omega Edition is on sale for $1.99

Now onto working on the September thread

Any more title suggestions?

Think I might go with "| GOing back to school with a backlog" to work in a Lara Croft GO reference

Out There Omega Edition, an all time favorite of mine, any time, any platform.

And I like that thread title. I also liked "August ended, your backlog never will".

Also rename the august thread to: "August iOS Gaming: I thought I had a backlog"

awp69

And also, how are the updated controls of The Adventures of Pip? Is as good as some people say?

Yes, I haven't had a chance to play much since the update, but they are a huge improvement IMO. More responsive and even in the default position it's easier not to clober yourself pressing the wrong button. But you can also completely move and resize the controls.

I found that moving the jump and weapon buttons on top of each other on the far right worked a lot better than having the jump and change form buttons together. At least from what I have played, you'll need quicker response to jump and attack than you will to change form.

Looking forward to playing it more. Just too many other games on my plate.

A lot of games coming in September

This one looks really interesting
http://braingeargames.com/games/armada-commander
800;600;7eddd60ed0f22892508355de2245d23dc1100a6d.png

awp69

So Lara Croft GO doesn't have cloud saves, does it? It keeps crashing and thought I may just delete and redownload.

Edit: Seems that there are Game Center issues in 8.4 with Lara Croft GO as well. Unlike iOS 9, it starts fine but GC causes sporadic crashes between levels. Had tried redownloading, making more space on my Mini, restarting, etc. The crashes finally stopped when I tried turning GC off.

Xenoflare

How is divide by sheep? It's on sale for $1.19 in Canada and I can afford that or Atlo's Adventure for $2.29.

I had Alto on my wish list for a while and just saw Divide by sheep on sale so I would like to hear what iOSGaf would say

Also got Out There Omega, seems like a very promising game so far.

PittaGAF

So Lara Croft GO doesn't have cloud saves, does it? It keeps crashing and thought I may just delete and redownload.

Edit: Seems that there are Game Center issues in 8.4 with Lara Croft GO as well. Unlike iOS 9, it starts fine but GC causes sporadic crashes between levels. Had tried redownloading, making more space on my Mini, restarting, etc. The crashes finally stopped when I tried turning GC off.

It does have iCloud saves but at least for me they are off by default...you have to enable it in the settings.
Works like a charm here with 8.4.1 on both iPad Air and iPhone 6 (it syncs automatically progress too) but I noticed sometimes it waits a bit on the GC loading.

colinp

Banned
I'm really impressed with how quickly Lara GO loads on 5S. It's sooooo speedy. It's one of the things I dislike about a lot of newer games like Deathwatch. Deathwatch is a fantastic game, but I really need to set time aside to play it instead of just jumping in quickly.

Matt Frost

How is divide by sheep? It's on sale for $1.19 in Canada and I can afford that or Atlo's Adventure for $2.29.

I had Alto on my wish list for a while and just saw Divide by sheep on sale so I would like to hear what iOSGaf would say

Both games are among the best games you can find on iOS. Divide by Sheep, a polished math charming yet devious puzzler is at its lowest price (usually 3€) while Alto´s Adventure, a gorgeous and punishing (compared to Ski Safari 2) endless runner is always 1.99€.

Xenoflare

Both games are among the best games you can find on iOS. Divide by Sheep, a polished math charming yet devious puzzler is at its lowest price (usually 3€) while Alto´s Adventure, a gorgeous and punishing (compared to Ski Safari 2) endless runner is always 1.99€.

Ahh eff it I'll just get both. I'll get Sheep first since it's on sale for me right now

awp69

It does have iCloud saves but at least for me they are off by default...you have to enable it in the settings.
Works like a charm here with 8.4.1 on both iPad Air and iPhone 6 (it syncs automatically progress too) but I noticed sometimes it waits a bit on the GC loading.

I have 8.4.1 too. Loads fine with GC, but crashes between levels a lot except if GC is off. Weird that you don't have any issues. I know sometimes the number of friends you have can cause issues. Might need to chop some. I don't know. As long as I have it working. Don't care that much about achievements and stuff.

Divide By Sheep is fantastic. Dont let that cute colorful aesthetic fool you, it's a deviously challenging puzzler that keeps introducing new elements.

PittaGAF

Just completed Lara Croft GO.
I'm probably dumb and it took me over 6 hours....more than a lot of other games.
And I miss a lot of secrets....which I'll start looking for right now.
Just the final sequence (and I really didn't expect an additional 'world') was worth the price.
Awesome stuff, can't wait for more.

Highly recommended.

Lara Croft GO has been crashing quite a bit on me. Anyone else having crashes? I'm on a Mini 2.

I am on an iPad Air and the crashing is making me stop playing. I haven't even been able to get past one level of snakes.

I powered off and on,uninstalled and re-installed. I have well over 5gb free.

Turning off game center has not helped me.

PittaGAF

I am on an iPad Air and the crashing is making me stop playing. I haven't even been able to get past one level of snakes.

I powered off and on,uninstalled and re-installed. I have well over 5gb free.

Weird, I just completed it on the same device.
Are you on 8.4.1 ?
Maybe the GC friend list is the culprint....for reference I have 99 friends.
The only weird thing I noticed is that the Welcome Pitta GC banner is WAY slower in going away than any other game...I supposed because it sync the levels and my network sucks recently m
But other than that, it was flawless.

PittaGAF

Eh...dunno....but the Square Enix - iOS versions relationship is not the best in the world so it could be ;)
I hope they will sort it out anyway because the game is IMHO really worth it.

PittaGAF

Downloading Calvino Noir, will post impressions later.

EDIT: Well...I do not know why everyone else dismissed the game even without trying...but so far, 1 hour in, I completed the first chapter of the first Act and I had a blast.
The price gives you access to the first Act. There are 3 and you can buy them in a bundle...I'll let you know the total price when I'll buy them.
Controls so far are very good, tailored for mobile (you tap on icons and scenery, it's very simple).
The graphics is pretty gorgeous and atmospheric...and the music and voices are simply top notch.
So far I'm really liking it and I'm curious to see where the story will bring me.
I've even discovered, by pure chance (there is no tutorial and you see the main screen after you actually already played it) that the 'money' you found around as 'secrets' can be spent to enhance your men, both running speed and noise level you make doing stuff.
Pretty cool.

awp69

Weird, I just completed it on the same device.
Are you on 8.4.1 ?
Maybe the GC friend list is the culprint....for reference I have 99 friends.
The only weird thing I noticed is that the Welcome Pitta GC banner is WAY slower in going away than any other game...I supposed because it sync the levels and my network sucks recently m
But other than that, it was flawless.

I had 205 friends. Got it below 200 and now it works even with GC on.

Heel

Simogo ‏@simogo 21 hours ago
In case you missed it yesterday: Year Walk arrives on Wii U September 17! Less than three weeks away :O

Simogo ‏@simogo 10 hours ago
Now that Year Walk is done, we can tell you that we are working on two games. You'll see one of them this year!

Oh! And our non-game project is done too. More on that VERY soon. Have a lovely weekend!

EDIT: Well...I do not know why everyone else dismissed the game even without trying...but so far, 1 hour in, I completed the first chapter of the first Act and I had a blast
Any more thoughts? The general consensus among reviews was pretty mediocre, so I'm interesting in your impressions as you play more

Simogo ‏@simogo 21 hours ago
In case you missed it yesterday: Year Walk arrives on Wii U September 17! Less than three weeks away :O

Now that Year Walk is done, we can tell you that we are working on two games. You'll see one of them this year!

Oh! And our non-game project is done too. More on that VERY soon. Have a lovely weekend!
We're going to get a new Simogo game this year?!! Yes!

EDIT: Well...I do not know why everyone else dismissed the game even without trying...but so far, 1 hour in, I completed the first chapter of the first Act and I had a blast.
The price gives you access to the first Act. There are 3 and you can buy them in a bundle...I'll let you know the total price when I'll buy them.
Controls so far are very good, tailored for mobile (you tap on icons and scenery, it's very simple).
The graphics is pretty gorgeous and atmospheric...and the music and voices are simply top notch.
So far I'm really liking it and I'm curious to see where the story will bring me.
I've even discovered, by pure chance (there is no tutorial and you see the main screen after you actually already played it) that the 'money' you found around as 'secrets' can be spent to enhance your men, both running speed and noise level you make doing stuff.
Pretty cool.

Think you're being a bit overly kind with this one from my first impressions. Graphically & stylistically its beautiful. I love the noir genre and it gets a lot right. Dialog, mood & the VA is superb.

I also love the stealth genre as its here as an actual game that it starts to fall apart a bit. The interface is clunky. Guard reactions are all over the place and deeper in the checkpoints make for a frustrating experience. It reminds me of the earlier splinter cell games & stealth. Expect s lot of time covering the same corridor as you try and re-try to make progress.

I've been following the game for a while since it came on my radar and the IAP for the 2nd and 3rd acts comes off as shady as well. It's in the App Store description sure, but I never even noticed that until after I purchased it. If I, paying money for a game, I expect it to be the damn game, or have that fact be right up there in the app description.

They've created a beautiful world and then seem hell bent on spooling my progress and enjoyment in it. It could have been real special, but instead it's just frustrating and mediocre for me so far as a game.

awp69

Think you're being a bit overly kind with this one from my first impressions. Graphically & stylistically its beautiful. I love the noir genre and it gets a lot right. Dialog, mood & the VA is superb.

I also love the stealth genre as its here as an actual game that it starts to fall apart a bit. The interface is clunky. Guard reactions are all over the place and deeper in the checkpoints make for a frustrating experience. It reminds me of the earlier splinter cell games & stealth. Expect s lot of time covering the same corridor as you try and re-try to make progress.

I've been following the game for a while since it came on my radar and the IAP for the 2nd and 3rd acts comes off as shady as well. It's in the App Store description sure, but I never even noticed that until after I purchased it. If I, paying money for a game, I expect it to be the damn game, or have that fact be right up there in the app description.

They've created a beautiful world and then seem hell bent on spooling my progress and enjoyment in it. It could have been real special, but instead it's just frustrating and mediocre for me so far as a game.

To be fair, I did wonder why the game was a lot cheaper than its PS4 and PC counterparts. So the IAPs for the "rest" of the game aren't surprising, although maybe they could have done a better job advertising it in the description.

But yeah, I've read a lot of negative things about the gameplay. The atmosphere and noir writing are there. The gameplay sounds less than desirable even on the other platforms. Maybe they'll update the game to fix those issues.

One plus is that at least having the game priced for each act, you can try it for less money upfront than the other versions.

Lara Croft GO was great but I prefer Hitman just due to the replayability. I mean, I'm completely finished with Lara Croft already. Every collectible and everything.

Yeah Hitman is better suited for this kind of gameplay with the stealth aspect. I like Lara Croft Go, but Hitman's puzzles were really well crafted.

PittaGAF

Calvino Noir follow up.

I'm REALLY liking this, but I have some problems, even if they aren't the generally mentioned ones.
The biggest one is that the game sometimes crashes (I may need to reboot, I'll try later) when you press on key plot icons.
Fortunately it has just saved the checkpoint, but it is frustrating.
I'm at the end of the first Act now (chapter 3).
Athmosphere, graphics, story, voices and music are all top notch.
Actually the story is pretty unexpected and totally different from what I was prepared for.
Oh...and it's INCREDIBLY difficult....some parts are really DAMN difficult...almost puzzle like...you die and die and die till you try a new route then you succeed with some ease.
My other biggest problem is that the game doesn't sync between devices for me, for some reason (it should...I see the save on iCloud and the dev confirmed this to me via Twitter...he is looking into this).
As for the interface...tbh I've getting used to it quite fast...it's quite simple and I never had the problems I've read on steam (besides the reviews that trash the game because made even for mobile....which I dismissed immediately)...BUT there was an almost revelation that made the game A LOT easier, and maybe this address some of the problems people are mentioning (I ask people who already have the game to try this...you never know).
At first I was somewhat confused by enemies reactions too.
Sometimes you hide in the wrong side of a wall, because there there is the hotspot...enemies coming from that way see you immediately and kill you on sight.
That's understandable.
But sometimes you are on the right side and even if you press the fist button, you will die.
I thought at first I had to level up my men before trying that maneuvers...but then I discovered that you 'kill' MUCH faster the enemies if you activate the 'run/speed' icon before attacking.
Doing so you are much faster, and since then I always killed 100% of the time when hidden, and many times even running from the back (be aware if they have the red bar tough...they are very sensible when alerted).
One simple yet most effective strategy is finding a good hidden spot....luring enemies one by one doing noises and then kill them.
Standard fare.
The spot where I was killed like a million times was a cakewalk after I discovered this.
The more I played the more I liked the game (I will surely buy the whole package) but this made the crashes even more frustrating....they always happen when you are about to hear a big revelation.
You try sometimes 3-4 times....then the game proceed normally.
But now, since an hour, it seems I'm stuck :(
Frustrating....so keep in mind that (all the more frustrating because it seems a memory thing...so I wanted to switch between devices to continue...but I can't).
The last thing I do not like is the main menu....which you go to AFTER playing...that's the only place where you level up....it's a weird decision.
If not for the crashes, as soon as I learnt about the right timing and speed to kill guards, it would be really nice experience (which still is for me, and I'll surely complete the game, can't wait already...but those things are frustrating).
It reminds me a lot an old title, Commando but now I feel Bogart in Casablanca.
I really love the different characters and their skills (I LOVE peeping into rooms with the woman) and I see an increased use of them while playing (I'm about 4 hours in).

The other two things I do not like is that I can't chose the language subtitles (they default to the iPhone language and that's it) and I can't see how many secrets I've missed in each level.
Those are minor tough.
The game saves with checkpoints.
They are usually placed well between sections where you can be killed a lot...it's not a problem for me but can be for many, so keep in mind that too.
All in all I'm really liking this one, but the crashes.
Check out if they update it in the future...I wouldn't miss this, especially if you like the setting.
I was aware the game came in 3 Acts (sold separately....it's written in the very description of the game) but I thought they still had to make those...so I was happy to see I could buy those right away.

So, my initial impressions still stand, but the crashes are pretty frustrating right now.
If you have any questions asks away...I'll report if I can go past the section I'm stuck right now (due to a crash) and when I'll eventually complete the game if anyone is still interested.

EDIT: keeping the characters apart did the trick...no more crashes...played 2 other hours straight :)

okno

Divide By Sheep is super hard and just reaffirms the fact that I am horrible at math :(

But I still like the game.

DRZ

Yeah Hitman is better suited for this kind of gameplay with the stealth aspect. I like Lara Croft Go, but Hitman's puzzles were really well crafted.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

Me too I want to praise Lara Croft, really gorgeus game with clever gameplay and very varied. I did buy Hitman Go on day 1, but didn't progress much in the game, probably I'm too dumb for that game :_) but after the first levels the puzzles became so convoluted I didn't have much fun in trying and trying without understanding my error. But again it's me that I found those kind of positioning puzzles pretty hard to crack.

Lara Croft GO instead is much more *action-ish*, if we can say that about a game like this, and fits much more my tastes. Due to the different layouts and items this game relates much more with me and I'm having lots of fun in solving the levels!

Hitman GO is more stealth and puzzle, Lara Croft GO is more action, curious to know what Deus-Ex GO will be!

Xenoflare

Is there a way to search for game bundles? The search in the App Store isn't really helping.

Edit: It's a bit of a shame to see a few of the games I wanted seems to be forgotten by the devs. Though I know games that supports up to iPhone 5 would still work on 6 without much hiccups but it still kinda turns me away from buying them.

awp69

Ok, just bought Dandy, lets see if it is as good as it looks...

It's good. Different pacing than most shmups and pretty hard.

Also still recommend shmup Beat Da Beat (provided you don't hate games with flashes that can cause seizures). Think I like that a slightly more than Dandy, but they are both excellent.

The reviews for the PC version are quite good so this is great :)

(I just saw that More Badass mentioned this on PG on the 7th of August :D)
Heh

It would be so worth the wait. I'm about 4-5 hours in and there would be nothing like it on mobile. It's violent, and scary, and distubing and fucked-up. It earns that M rating.

Matt Frost

Coming this wednesday night for iOS. September 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crNmSAOc0YQ

The Deer God. Beta testing iOS 9 functions (works perfectly) and I am found it very interesting story wise and unique. Great controls and walking speed. First purchase. Need to finish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZ8BqxxmFo

Seashine. A free to play high scorer, great underwater atmosphere with tight controls and a discover yourself world to explore full of dangers, secrets and other great things. Second this I am downloading. Coin doubler purchased.

Gravity Duck 2. A new Ravenous game with different gameplay mechanics in each chapter plus a similar VVVVVV vibe going for it. Looks great. Third thing...

Ok, just bought Dandy, lets see if it is as good as it looks...

I does play as good as it looks, and the progression system picking and mashing fruit to get powerups is amazing, plus the enemy variety is great. I am not into this kind of games but this one is fun and different. Will gladly keep it on my iPhone for a long time.

It's good. Different pacing than most shmups and pretty hard.

Also still recommend shmup Beat Da Beat (provided you don't hate games with flashes that can cause seizures). Think I like that a slightly more than Dandy, but they are both excellent.

I am the worst player when it comes to rhythm games, sort of tone deaf. The only thing I fairly good at was Guitar Hero (the one with the Dragonforce song at the end + Muse + Slayer,...) and that was because I liked the songs.

In case it hasn't been posted, Pokemon Shuffle is out in the US now.

Don't like Pokemon but I want to see the freemium Nintendo approach to mobile firsthand, downloading soon...

awp69

I am the worst player when it comes to rhythm games, sort of tone deaf. The only thing I fairly good at was Guitar Hero (the one with the Dragonforce song at the end + Muse + Slayer,...) and that was because I liked the songs.

Well, in Beat da Beat, it's more that the bullet hell is timed to the beat. Still a fairly straightforward shmup, but the dubstep/electronic music and dizzying graphics make it really enjoyable. It's also quite hard.

Matt Frost

Well, in Beat da Beat, it's more that the bullet hell is timed to the beat. Still a fairly straightforward shmup, but the dubstep/electronic music and dizzying graphics make it really enjoyable. It's also quite hard.

Better then, I will add it to my wishlist (sort of new to me, will probably buy them all at once soon). This week is The Deer God week for me, I just fired up the beta a little and love it, cant wait :D

I don't think this is one of the DeNA + Nintendo games.

Oh shucks, I will skip this one and wait for the real thing to come. Thanks

Top Bottom