• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

awp69

Anyone who has kids, particularly preschoolers, all the Putt-Putt educational games are on sale for $.99 a piece (usually $4.99).

My kids loved the PC versions when they were that age. And they're more tolerable and semi-fun to play with them compared to other educational software.

Edit: Figured out why the sale is going on. There's a Humongous Entertainment Humble Bundle for Android, which also includes some Spy Fox, Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish games. All good stuff for the little ones if you have an Android.

awp69

Two days left till one of the best launch days on iOS in recent memory...

And it's coming a week after what some already thought was one of biggest launch days on iOS.

Great streak... If you don't already have so much to play through. But even with my backlog, I know I will get Lara Croft GO and, most likely, Calvino Noir.

Already have the soft launch version of Breakneck but will get the official version, of course.

Matt Frost

This month I think will either rival or succeed April of last year as the best month in iOS gaming.

Wow I just searched what was released on that month and that was a good one indeed!

The best games released April 2014 on iOS
Monument Valley
FTL: Faster Than Light
Wayward Souls
Leo’s Fortune
Hitman GO
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Best games released in august (More_B says LR GO was awesome and I believe him)
Final Fantasy VII
Horizon Chase
Lara Croft GO
Deathwatch
Galactic Keep
Race the Sun

Wow I just searched what was released on that month and that was a good one indeed!

The best games released April 2014 on iOS
Monument Valley
FTL: Faster Than Light
Wayward Souls
Leo’s Fortune
Hitman GO
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Best games released in august (Calvino Noir remains unclear but More_B says LR GO was awesome and I believe him)
Final Fantasy VII
Horizon Chase
Lara Croft GO
Deathwatch
Calvino Noir
Race the Sun
Deathwatch and Race The Sun were actually last month

Here's August's list (I keep track for the monthly OTs):
- Five Nights at Freddy 4
- Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon
- Loot & Legends
- Pixel Dungeon
- Battlestation Harbinger
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
- The Guides
- Barmark
- Dungeon of the Endless
- Final Fantasy VII
- Dead Synchronicity
- Happy Wheels
- Horizon Chase
- Galactic Keep
---
- Lara Croft GO
- Calvino Noir
- Breakneck

Matt Frost

^You forgot Galactic Keep, good sir.

I... didnt... get that one... Frost puts tail between legs and runs away... Pitta dont kill me.... so yes, fixed. Calvino Noir remains to be seen (thought it was on Steam already and that was amazing) and could outweigh the balance in favor of august, but I think the consensus comes down to personal tastes.

And it's coming a week after what some already thought was one of biggest launch days on iOS.

Great streak... If you don't already have so much to play through. But even with my backlog, I know I will get Lara Croft GO and, most likely, Calvino Noir.

Already have the soft launch version of Breakneck but will get the official version, of course.

Didn't see this I was intruigued by that april list...

No love for Sky Safari 2? o_O xD

Matt Frost

Deathwatch and Race The Sun were actually last month

Here's August's list (I keep track for the monthly OTs):
- Five Nights at Freddy 4 - Nope
- Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon - Yep
- Loot & Legends - iPad only
- Pixel Dungeon - What is this? Never heard of before
- Battlestation Harbinger - Same as above
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 - Nope
- The Guides - I am too stupid to play this one, literally
- Barmark - What game is this one?
- Dungeon of the Endless - iPad only
- Final Fantasy VII - Nope, seems like an expensive bad port, will keep my great memories intact.
- Dead Synchronicity - What game is this?
- Happy Wheels - Didnt contribute to the 1,000,000 mark
- Horizon Chase - Hell Yes
- Galactic Keep - Nope...
---
- Lara Croft GO - I wish
- Calvino Noir - I wish
- Breakneck - Will re-download with my main account

Woops I thought they were released this month. I also played Spider 2 last month as well xD

Frost puts his tail between his legs and runs away... again... I only have 2 games from that top list (edited)... O_O lol

Shaneus

Is that Rocks Rider game any good? It looks more Trials-y than anything else I've seen on iOS. And the freemium Trials game disappointed the hell out of me :(

Matt Frost

September so far:
Dropsy - Never heard of it before now
Lumino City - Same as above
I Am Bread - Same as above, nah just kidding I will buy this one, looks epic
Rebuild 3 - Same as above, nah just kidding, what game is this one?
The Deer God - Want it
Dead Effect 2 - Again, what game is this?
Trick Shot - And this one?

I am realizing you and I, well maybe a lot of you and I have very different tastes in games :eek:

I am realizing you and I, well maybe a lot of you and I have very different tastes in games :eek:
Ah, perhaps, but you do know that if I'm talking about an indie game you haven't heard of, it's probably because it looks interesting or because I've played it and it's good

Dropsy - A surreal open-world adventure game with lovely pixel art and a terrifying clown
tumblr_nsfz7zX6e01u4rawro4_540.gif

Lumino City - An absolutely gorgeous hand-made adventure game from the developers of Kami (seriously, this is a must-buy. It's awesome on PC, should be even better on iPad)

I Am Bread - A silly, challenging, and surprisingly good platformer from the devs of Surgeon Sim

Rebuild 3 - A zombie apocalypse town builder/management game and the sequel to the critically acclaimed Rebuild

Trick Shot - A minimalist physics platformer from an Monument Valley artist

The Deer God
Dead Effect 2

awp69

Lumino City and I Am Bread look up my alley (even though I actually hated Surgeon Simulator, which I know is kind of like Goat Simulator in that it was meant to be bad, but I just didn't see the fun in it).

I've played the beta Android version of The Deer God and it's an interesting concept. Was waiting until the game was officially released before I played it too much. Steam reviews have been pretty brutal, but it showed promise,

Lumino City and I Am Bread look up my alley (even though I actually hated Surgeon Simulator, which I know is kind of like Goat Simulator in that it was meant to be bad, but I just didn't see the fun in it).

I've played the beta Android version of The Deer God and it's an interesting concept. Was waiting until the game was officially released before I played it too much. Steam reviews have been pretty brutal, but it showed promise,
I Am Bread really surprised me. It looks stupid, and the premise is nonsense, but it's actually really good. The game has a "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" vibe because you're small, climbing and clambering around normal-sized levels, and you actually get better as you play.

Only concern is how it works on touch, because I can not fathom how they translated the controls to mobile and it not be a disaster. On PC (and really you need a gamepad to play for the best experience), you control each corner with the shoulder buttons and move with the left stick.

As for Lumino City, I'm going to be going Pitta-style on that. It's absolutely gorgeous, a playable work of art, and the puzzles felt like they were meant experienced on touch. The developers even describe them as "tactile puzzles"

Jay Tholen

Neo Member
ohh anyone know if this is iPad only?

iOS/android release is gonna be a few weeks after the proper release on Sep 10, unfortunately. Gotta work a few things out. We've had success running it on an iPhone, but the hotspots can be a little finnicky if you don't have the fingers of an 8 year old. I'd really like to put it on more than just tablets though, so we'll see. :)

Matt Frost

Ouch. May wait in iOS impressions / reviews on this one.

At least we know Lara Croft GO is good and I have more than enough to play.

Yeah me too. Bad controls can ruin the whole game specially if it's a platformer.

A gameplay/review-in-progress video of Calvino Noir from a channel I watch
Sounds like it has some major UI and control issues that I imagine will only be heightened on touch

And this video and review threw me off the game entirely. I dont like stealth. I am the kind of guy who shouts out loud on stealth levels to attract all the enemies at once and not having to worry about sneaking behind them. Up front. And I used to kill everyone on those levels that way.

Lara Croft GO and Ski Safari 2 will keep me occupied for at least a week, until next thursday xD

Xenoflare

How are the games that lists iPhone 5 as it's most recent supported device look on the iPhone 6?

I'm planning to get 999 and XCOM on my iPhone and I just want to know, I'm more concerned about XCOM of course, is it fairly optimized for the phones since I would imagine the screen might be a bit too small.

Oh and hi iOSGaf, I switched to an iPhone from using Android for over 3 years, my first iOS device is the first iPod touch and it for some reason it's still living.

I'm totally nailing this introduction /s

Matt Frost

How are the games that lists iPhone 5 as it's most recent supported device look on the iPhone 6?

I'm planning to get 999 and XCOM on my iPhone and I just want to know, I'm more concerned about XCOM of course, is it fairly optimized for the phones since I would imagine the screen might be a bit too small.

Oh and hi iOSGaf, I switched to an iPhone from using Android for over 3 years, my first iOS device is the first iPod touch and it for some reason it's still living.

Apple were very smart and made something that auto scales from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 screen size, so no worries there. If it says "iPhone 5 compatible" it will work full screen on the iPhone 6. The only thing you have to worry is about the iOS upgrades that have a small tendency to break compatibility. I dont have Xcom (dont like turn based games at all, I am a huge RTS fan) or 999 so I can't guarantee how they run nowadays.

Also.. Welcome! Yes you nailed it... saying you came from Android and also that you still have the original iPod makes you an instant iOSGafer already

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

XCOM runs well on a 5s, even if the screen is a bit small. i put like 20+ hours into it, though i am looking forward to the 6s to get more visual real estate for the game.

iOS/android release is gonna be a few weeks after the proper release on Sep 10, unfortunately. Gotta work a few things out. We've had success running it on an iPhone, but the hotspots can be a little finnicky if you don't have the fingers of an 8 year old. I'd really like to put it on more than just tablets though, so we'll see. :)

awesome! if it doesn't make it to iPhones i'll just cop it on my macbook - it looks really great.

Xenoflare

Apple were very smart and made something that auto scales from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 screen size, so no worries there. If it says "iPhone 5 compatible" it will work full screen on the iPhone 6. The only thing you have to worry is about the iOS upgrades that have a small tendency to break compatibility. I dont have Xcom (dont like turn based games at all, I am a huge RTS fan) or 999 so I can't guarantee how they run nowadays.

Also.. Welcome! Yes you nailed it... saying you came from Android and also that you still have the original iPod makes you an instant iOSGafer already

XCOM runs well on a 5s, even if the screen is a bit small. i put like 20+ hours into it, though i am looking forward to the 6s to get more visual real estate for the game.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I look forward to XCOM the most really, if I can bring one of my favorite game on my phone it would be a dream come true.

On a side note... it doesn't seem like Square Enix is keen on updating their games, it's kinda of a bummer that they just released FFT on Android and made that the "better" version with supposedly better resoultion support but the iOS version is stuck in 2013 at $16 in Canada that apparently doesn't even support the iPhone 5 from the reviews.

:(

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks guys, much appreciated, I look forward to XCOM the most really, if I can bring one of my favorite game on my phone it would be a dream come true.

On a side note... it doesn't seem like Square Enix is keen on updating their games, it's kinda of a bummer that they just released FFT on Android and made that the "better" version with supposedly better resoultion support but the iOS version is stuck in 2013 at $16 in Canada that apparently doesn't even support the iPhone 5 from the reviews.

:(

High res support went in the iOS version back in 2013 I guess, it's been a long time overdue on Android. I don't know specific games, but FFT used to work fine, so it's the new OS again causing problems. Maybe eventually they'll get around it it, iirc they finally updated a couple games that were not working for a few years, a couple months ago.

All that said, FFT did work fine on my iPhone 5 when I tested it just now, playable in the first battle outside the church. I don't know where the reviews claim it breaks though, maybe it's later in the game? It definitely is running and letting me play the battle.

SeanR1221

On my trip I ended up playing Pacman 256 almost the entire plane ride. Game is super addicting.

It's amazing how you can have all these great games on the Vita and 3DS but nothing beats just having your phone in your pocket.

awp69

Yeah, not sold on Calvino either, I like the atmosphere, but the stealth looks clunky and the animations look really stiff

I had never heard of that reviewer whose video you posted, but of course there's tons of You Tube "reviewers". But this guy impressed me and was pretty thorough.

Also noticed how PG's preview of this week's games says so something like "but does the gameplay match" the graphics and atmosphere. It seems like whenever they say something like that it means the review is probably not good and to hold off until they post it.

I had never heard of that reviewer whose video of you posted, but of course there's tons of You Tube "reviewers". But this guy impressed me and was pretty thorough.
Learned about him because he posts often in the Indie threads, I like his style

But regarding Calvino Noir, I'm a bit disappointed that the stealth looks so clunky. 2D stealth is hard to do right, but This War of Mine did a fantastic job with desperate, tense stealth in 2D, with smooth animations, and with a point/click control scheme.
On the other hand, the stealth in Calvino Noir looks boring IMO and marred by little quirks like enemies seeing you when they pass your hiding spot.

PittaGAF

Is by chance Pete Osborne from pixelated paradise a GAFer too?
I just read what happened to you man...I'm really sorry....your work was really appreciated but health first!!!
I really hope to read you soon again!!!

killercow

Oynox

Bought Hitman Sniper while it was (is?) on sale. Unfortunately performance is not satisfying on an iPhone 5. Does Apple still take returns?

And I was too weak to wait for a sale of Horizon Chase... luckily. Man, that game is absolutely addictive! The music!!!

awp69

Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest announced.

A potentially awesome thing but....sadly...free to play it seems.

It's sad period that all PQ games are now F2P. Such a great series when it started.

Now it has little of the original RPG feel and add the freemium crap and I am no longer a PQ fan.

And frankly, I feel Hero Emblems far out did even the first two "true" Puzzle Quest games and is the game to beat for RPG match threes. And it won't be an easy feat.

And seriously, how many PQ redskins do we need?

According to TA, Galak-Z mobile will be "published by GungHo, so more than likely it'll be a free to play game"

That's one way to smash my hype with a sledge hammer, especially after One Finger Death Punch was butchered by F2P aspects.

awp69

According to TA, Galak-Z mobile will be "published by GungHo, so more than likely it'll be a free to play game"

That's one way to smash my hype with a sledge hammer, especially after One Finger Death Punch was butchered by F2P aspects.

F*** me. This bugs the crap out of me. Seriously. There have been quite a few PC/console to iOS premium success stories lately. Why? Just why?

Dungeon of the Endless, I would say, was not a well known PC game and it's currently #36 on the charts. And ones that are well known, like Goat Simulator are near the top of the charts.

Argue as much as you want about games needing to be F2P, but premium should still be doable...especially when we're talking about a port.

Top Bottom