• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management

awp69

I wouldn't define what they're doing with Space Miner as "support." As far as I can tell, the game I paid for has been left to rot in favor of a rerelease. The only difference is Square Enix haven't rereleased TWEWY and asked for money again...yet.

But they are allowing Space Miner users the ability to update for free. You can already do it with the iPhone version and will soon with the iPad version. So I don't understand the point.

Square Enix just left its users to rot. Even with the Lara Croft update, Square Enix screwed iPhone users because only iPad users got the newly updated iOS 8 universal app. The iPhone users left in the cold. And I'd be willing to bet there had been more iPhone copies sold so more people who would need to rebuy if they wanted a working game.

So this is strike two for S-E and I don't think I'm giving them a third strike. This is a massive company that has the resources to treat its customers properly. And they choose greed over customer satisfaction. It's not like some little indie that really can't afford the resources. Then there's also the fact that jailbroken owners say the fix is easy for TWEWY.

Screw S-E.

Bronxsta, have you checked out The Outcast update? It's awesome
Yeah, the artwork is gorgeous too

newImage.jpg

Guys...AG Drive
The best F-Zero/Wipeout-like I've played since Repulze. The sense of speed and the visuals are...wait for it, GLORIOUS™
And the best part? 100% premium. The devs switched from freemium during the soft launch to paid with no IAP for the worldwide launch

awp69

Guys...AG Drive
The best F-Zero/Wipeout-like I've played since Repulze. The sense of speed and the visuals are...wait for it, GLORIOUS™
And the best part? 100% premium. The devs switched from freemium during the soft launch to paid with no IAP for the worldwide launch

Hot damn! I wasn't going to spend money this week but you just forced my hand.

Hot damn! I wasn't going to spend money this week but you just forced my hand.
Just to be clear, it's all racing, no weapons. But there's a nice variety of race types (duels, elimination, etc.), the controls are tight, the sense of speed and visuals are great, and there's a hefty amount of content.

Edit: there is a slight offensive element, since each vehicle has a special ability (shockwave that slows down racers, electric AoE blast that knocks racers away, etc)

awp69

Just to be clear, it's all racing, no weapons. But there's a nice variety of race types (duels, elimination, etc.), the controls are tight, the sense of speed and visuals are great, and there's a hefty amount of content.

Edit: there is a slight offensive element, since each vehicle has a special ability (shockwave that slows down racers, electric AoE blast that knocks racers away, etc)

I do like combat in my WipeOut style racers, but this looks too good to pass up.

colinp

Banned
Alto's Adventure is really fun!

Sure it's an endless racer but damn does it have style. Just gorgeous! The time of day changes each run so eventually you're snowboarding at night with a crescent moon in the sky and lights on in the houses, and then the sun starts to slowly rise on the next run! It all looks really great.

They've got the usual three challenges you need to complete to level up and coins to collect to buy things from the shop. You can do tricks in the air and you have to land properly or you'll crash.

I dunno, I haven't played a runner in a long time and I think this one's great. Soothing music, too.

Tizoc

Just wanted to share a little something; the other day my niece and nephew came to hang out at our house after school, since its opposite our residence, they're 5 and 6 year olds, and tend to play whatever free copy-cat of bigger title games are on iTunes.

My iPad only has a dozen of games but none of that lame free crap, I did let them dl one game, but while it was dling I let my niece play Monument Valley and she managed to get really far in it up til chapter 5~7 I think.
It was only a short time but I'm glad she got the chance to experience a quality iOS game.

AG Drive looks cool, any plans for a PC release? My iPad would prob. run ti poorly :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alto's Adventure is really fun!

Sure it's an endless racer but damn does it have style. Just gorgeous! The time of day changes each run so eventually you're snowboarding at night with a crescent moon in the sky and lights on in the houses, and then the sun starts to slowly rise on the next run! It all looks really great.

They've got the usual three challenges you need to complete to level up and coins to collect to buy things from the shop. You can do tricks in the air and you have to land properly or you'll crash.

I dunno, I haven't played a runner in a long time and I think this one's great. Soothing music, too.
Once you get to level 11...hate.

The second character has no momentum so it completely kills the flow in my experience.

awp69

My main concern with AG Drive is that if things don't work out, they could so easily switch this back to F2P.

Yeah, I worry a little about that too if a F2P system was already built. I haven't played much yet and it does seem challenging, but it sure is beautiful to look at. I'll just stay optimistic that it will do well as a premium title,

Just wanted to share a little something; the other day my niece and nephew came to hang out at our house after school, since its opposite our residence, they're 5 and 6 year olds, and tend to play whatever free copy-cat of bigger title games are on iTunes.

My iPad only has a dozen of games but none of that lame free crap, I did let them dl one game, but while it was dling I let my niece play Monument Valley and she managed to get really far in it up til chapter 5~7 I think.
It was only a short time but I'm glad she got the chance to experience a quality iOS game.

AG Drive looks cool, any plans for a PC release? My iPad would prob. run ti poorly :p
Yeah, I read a PC version is planned as well

Check out Metamorphabet and Windosill. They're very tactile, hands-on, colorful and whimisical experiences. Your niece and nephew might enjoy them if they liked playing MV

RM8

Wut, Garou: MotW is on iOS! :0 it pains me that this is the one genre that I can't play with touch controls :(

awp69

While I may agree with the review, it's hardly "the first must buy of the year". It's been a surprisingly amazing start for 2015 already.

Yup. Dark Echo, Odd Bot Out, Radiation Island, Shadowmatic, Hero Emblems, and Gunbrick. 2015 has been fantastic so far

Agreed. Own every one of those and all are great. I think, in my eyes at least, the first "must buy" was Hero Emblems, which I think had the earliest release date.

okno

Holy cow at AG Drive!!! The game is GORGEOUS, runs buttery smooth on my 5s and is a joy to play. Absolutely the best Wipeout-like on iOS. This should not be passed up for $4.

A lot of nice releases for March:
- RAD Boarding (March 5th)
- Space Marshals: Chapter 2
- Skatelander
- Tiltagon
- Cube Koala (March or April)
- Out There Omega (March or April)

Benedict

A bit OT.
Both of my daughters are getting iPhones, one 3GS and 4S.
What is the easiest way to set them up, should I tie them to my apple-account or give them separate accounts?
How does this family sharing thing work?
They are 10 and 7 years old.

Question for those playing AG Drive: the stats page says there are 9 vehicles, but the garage only shows 3. Do you unlock more when you reach tier 2?

Edit: the Gamezebo review confirmed that it only has 3 vehicles at the moment

A bit OT.
What is the easiest way to set them up, should I tie them to my apple-account or give them separate accounts?
When my brother got his phone, he used my mom's account so she could keep track of his downloads, he couldn't download things without her permission, etc.

Not sure if that helps. Now that he's 13, we set him up with his own iTunes account.

GWX

A bit OT.

How I would do: make accounts without credit cards for your children via iTunes (trying to "buy" a free app while logged out) and then add them to your Family, setting them up as kids so they need permission to buy stuff. They can download all your apps free of charge. Don't know if there's an easier way to create CC-less accounts, but the iTunes method works well.

A bit OT.

set up Family Sharing and create them Apple IDs for kids.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Screw you triple back-flip, Alto!!

Edit: Beat, up to level 19 now.

64,999 points - just beat Jedeye's 63,744 :p.

Achievements are bugged :( I've not gotten the beat 10 goals nor the wingsuit one despite having had both for ages now.

awp69

Loving AG Drive. Brilliant track design and just stunning to look at, especially with the insane speeds.

If I only had one gripe, it would be that it's a little too easy so far. I've already unlocked all three cars and have some upgrades. Also have gotten gold on all but a few events. I'm hoping that the second tier races pose a bit more challenge.

Also, does anyone who has bought the third ship think that its jump ability actually seems to hurt rather than help in races?

Overall, it's an incredible achievement and a bargain at the $3.99 price point. Anyone who fears that it has any freemium elements left from the soft launch, fear not. No timers and just one currency that is accumulated at a steady pace.

JCho133

I'm such a fan of Swap Heroes. It's awesome.

So jealous of everyone with Swap Heroes 2, it looks so good (and has TWELVE MORE heroes than the first!)

Check this out, probably not coming to iOS, but definitely the most interesting thing Dead Mage has done since Shadow Blade. Looks beautiful.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deadmage/children-of-morta
Yeah, super hyped for that. Didn't back it though, I'm holding out for The Last Night. Cyperpunk cinematic platformer

The PC version of Shadow Blade is so good, though. Expanded and improved far beyond the IOS version

Talking about cinematic platformers, I hope The Way still comes to IOS. It just barely missed the IOS/Android stretch goal

awp69

It's selfish but I would love it if AG Drive added weapons when it expands to the third tier. It's a great game as it is but ....ohhhh...would it be a dream come true. Hey, Repulze added them in its third update so why not? :)

JCho133

Yeah, super hyped for that. Didn't back it though, I'm holding out for The Last Night. Cyperpunk cinematic platformer

The PC version of Shadow Blade is so good, though. Expanded and improved far beyond the IOS version

Talking about cinematic platformers, I hope The Way still comes to IOS. It just barely missed the IOS/Android stretch goal

Ughhhhhh, both of those games. Is that first one coming to iOS?

And IIRC the Devs of the Way were gonna do their best to get the iOS version at release time, and if not then shortly after

PittaGAF

So what's the verdict on Alto's Adventure?
I'm not a fan of endless runners but I like Tiny Wings and Ski Safari, and I like games that put inside the game evident competition with you Gamecenter friends (like Fruit Ninja or Threes).
The graphics seems lovely.

Top Bottom