• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

Glm7w9W.jpg

Site | App Store
The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac's form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I just defeated mother on my 6s+

Overall the touch controls are splendid, I found that playing in horizontal view was a little bit easier than portrait view for my device at least. Though I'm probably going to at least attempt to get used to portrait mode since I like the uncrowded screen of it. Going to attempt a mothers heart Run later tonight and then try unlocking some characters afterwards. Overall this is a fantastic port and well worth price of entry, this will not be leaving my device any time soon.
Played some Isaac. At first I was worried about the controls but after some time playing I think they're just fine.

Beat mom for the first time a little bit ago.

Haven't tried the controller yet, and I suspect the controller will be better of course, but yeah, this is fantastic and so far seems to be a great port. Wish there was a way to compare progress with friends.
Okay. Bit the Isaac bullet.

It's really, really good. Touch controls are excellent, but I can see this being much better with a controller. Still, it's a great game that made me almost miss my train stop twice today.
Fuck, Binding of Isaac is so damn addicting.
After playing it for 10 hours, I think BoI is fantastic. I'm not really having any issues with the controls. It appears that the difference between the touch controls is analog. You can vary your run speed on 1, but you go max speed at all times on 2.

RSMIqBj.jpg

Site | App Store
Help Red explore the land in this awesome action, adventure, puzzle game.
Mad King Mac has kidnapped your father and stolen your golden nut! Solve puzzles and battle goons as you explore and battle your way through the kingdom.
Discover hidden treasure, collect nuts, unlock special powers and much more as you play through 17 amazing and unique areas where there's always something new to discover.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Holy cow guys! Red's Kingdom is fantastic! Is more of an adventure than a puzzler, with seamless levels, open world, a story with quests (have to find 3 crystals to open...) and more! Each screen is a puzzle that you need to solve in order to advance, there are different routes to take, many things to explore, powers to gain, NPCs to meet... seems more like Zelda than a traditional puzzler with outstanding production values! Go Cobra Mobile! Level 3 and going...
Red's Kingdom is absolutely incredible. Hands down one of the biggest surprise I've had on iOS in quite a while. It oozes with charm, the art is absolutely gorgeous and amazingly slick on iPad and it just feels so well built. From the simple, touch-controlled mechanic they are able to build an expansive world with an insane amount of things to do and some secret lore that you can get from items. I feel like this would be well received on any console and should be on anyone's list.

This is the kind of game that I want to see on mobile and we need to support those premium effort. Cobra really are an amazing team of developers.
Red's Kingdom is really damn polished.

I really didn't expect the game to be so open world.
I assumed it was a series of puzzle rooms...wow I was wrong.
Feels like Zelda.
Awesome.
Oh.

My.

God.

Red's Kingdom.

Is.

Amazing.

Holy.

Cow.

qxjQ9gA.jpg

Site | App Store
Split the world with a swipe of your finger and then rearrange it to guide critters back to their spaceship. Explore colorful planets full of danger, challenging puzzles, and innovative mechanics that will make you think in new ways. The immersive soundscapes of each world, best experienced with headphones, set the tone for your journey.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Splitter Critters is very good. Unique and very well done! I recommend it
That game is fantastic. Unique mechanics and only possible on a touch interface.

kFItQk7.jpg

Site | App Store
A Normal Lost Phone is a game about exploring the intimacy of an unknown person whose phone was found by the player.
The game takes the shape of a narrative investigation: you have to search the phone's text messages, pictures and applications, in order to learn about its former owner. Through this phone, you uncover Sam's life, friends, family and relationships, until the evening when they turn 18 and mysteriously disappear.

ss_69b3669cbe2580f3cf4c81b9b49036e49e37ea3d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_e4f215e5456d361053e9182cf1d6b839bcc1c047.1920x1080.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

A Normal Lost Phone impressions:

I just "beat" the game it took about 1-2 hours to complete. Overall I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. The game has you going through a lost phone and through reading emails, texts, a dating app, and an internet webpage, you try to be piece together what is going on in the life of they person who owns the phone. The game is basically all reading and it is written well and is interesting. There are a couple light puzzles which have you trying to determine passwords for various things you need to access, based on other info found on the phone. The narrative focuses on an 18 year old and deals with the
gender and sexual identity of the phone's owner
. While an interesting story, it pretty much focused on only these themes and felt like it ended way too soon. I was engrossed while it lasted but it could have used some more explanations and resolution towards the end. I guess what I'm saying is I wish there was more to it - story, interactivity etc. Still though i don't regret buying it - this just won't be for everyone.

FDEFToV.jpg

Site | App Store
TOWAGA is a fast-paced 2D Arcade/Shooter game where you play Chimù, a masked sorcerer entrenched atop the legendary temple of Towaga. React fast, stay focused and use your lightbeam to exorcise the creatures surrounding you.
Prove yourself worthy and the light shall reward your sacrifice.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I caved in a bought Towaga, I'm currently loving it a lot. The art style is gorgeous and the gameplay is pretty damn fun. Learning each monsters attack patterns is key.
Played Towaga, even completed the first ritual. Seems to have a story behind it and the gameplay is solid and more fun than I expected with lots of shooting (purifying beam more like it) with strategy and different enemies to learn their movements. Even have some events with special monsters.

Never played Ziggurat but after Towaga I am starting to think I made the wrong choice back then.

Very solid and fun so far. Wished it had some kind of store with upgrades or stuff like that, maybe in a future update.

VwVhKjG.png

Site | App Store
The unique and challenging match-3 survival RPG comes to iOS! Match tiles to collect resources while the daylight lasts. When night falls, the same tiles call bloodthirsty monsters to your meagre village.
What else might be found in these lands?

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

You're playing it wrong then. It's turn based. The only thing really real time is fights but even then they aren't frantic all... You should really think about moves.

Fun game but I was hoping they added more considering how long ago this was made. It's pretty easy to beat even on hard.

49Sdgti.jpg

Site | App Store
In Sky Dancer you will join the dangerous game called Sky Dancing and push yourself to limitation with every wild jumps through a stunningly beautiful planet! Sky Dancer is for people who love Skydriving and also for whom never experiencing the beautiful of risk while being airborne!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I just tried Sky Dancer, yeah it's another endless runner but this one is sooo beautiful. I was like O.O

I like it, it's fun.
Yep. It is nice. And the falling from platform to platform is a bit of a twist (and usually when I die missing one).

jmrysiv.jpg

Site | App Store
Xenoraid is a thrilling shooter game with classic action and modern features. Intercept the alien raiders and keep Earth safe!
Xenoraid features classic shooter gameplay with a wealth of brand new mechanics. Missions play out differently each time. You can switch between four fighters in real time. Advanced shooting mechanics such as diagonal shooting and weapon heat give the game a unique feel.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

TIHYzSr.jpg

Site | App Store
Reimagined for iOS, cult-hit RPG Sonny brings challenging turn-based combat that requires strategy and mastery of each new skill to survive in a bizarre and dangerous world.
When Sonny rises from the dead with his mind intact and his memories missing, his search for the truth will lead him and his allies to save the world or die trying against rampaging mutant zombies, monstrous techno-beasts, and much more. Reinventing the classic played by millions, Sonny is designed for cunning and creativity with an emphasis on strategy and difficulty as the gameplay evolves. Featuring stunning artwork by Jet Kimchrea and an engrossing original score by David Orr.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

Dw8ulYj.jpg

Site | App Store
A captivating and relaxed puzzle game containing 700 buttons to press and 100 levels to unlock!
A robotic virus is raging! Nano Bots called Wardens are enslaving people! You are one of the hacker clones, saving intellects by hacking into infected brains and defeating the mysterious Wardens; figuring out their correct button sequences.
There are 100 Wardens for you to defeat, containing a mixture of timing, memory and pattern recognition button-based puzzles.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

APu4md9.png

Site | App Store
Z-Exemplar is a side-scrolling shooter in the tradition of R-Type, Gradius, Nemesis and other classic arcade games from the past. Borrowing its aesthetic from the computers of yesteryear (specifically the Sinclair ZX Spectrum) Z-Exemplar combines bright, bold, 8-bit pixel art with frantic action and an epic mission to conquer a galaxy of almost 1000 planets.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

WHbxRIK.png

Site | App Store
Collect or Die is a fast paced retro platformer set in a run down science facility. The goal is simple, help stickman collect every coin in each test chamber or watch him die trying! Of course its not as easy as it sounds, with tons of obstacles ranging from saws and thwomps to lasers and sentries, things can get tricky fast!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

zlk0fVx.jpg

Site | App Store
You are the cats' only salvation. Free them from their traps and they will trust you and follow you.
You must take them to safety.
Not every cat will be easy to find. Make sure the whole team gets alive to the end. Amidst evil creatures determined to steal your beloved cats!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

nEI9CXV.jpg

Site | App Store
A mysterious tavern with a deadly secret! Check-in to this magical tale of murder and mystery where not everything is as it seems. Explore the tavern in secret or in style, meet and mingle with guests and staff, wield weapons and magic and uncover clues before the killer strikes again!
Evertree Inn is an immersive 265,000 word interactive experience by Thom Baylay, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast unstoppable power of your imagination.

sc552x414.jpeg
sc552x414.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Glitchskier - February 2nd
The Frostrune - February 2nd
Voyageur - February 7th
Postknight - February 9th
Hidden Folks - February 15th
Digby Forever - February 16th
Incidence - February 23rd
Puff - February 23rd

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Matt Frost

Puff and Digby Forever will be mine

Those levels are procedurally generated though. So should never be the same twice

So is like Danmaku Unlimited? You start from level 1 if you die but you keep your coins to buy upgrades so the game becomes easier and easier each run until you defeat it? Or has a world map with individual levels?

Fantastic thread as always More_Badass! Deciding right now to pick up Missleman or wait for Glitchskier tonight. I only got room for one vertical shooter at the moment.

also, if I may ask MB, what's that game in your avatar? You always have such cool game avatars

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never played a Robot Unicorn Attack game, but 3 has a neat aesthetic. I may pick it up as a fun time killer.

Fantastic thread as always More_Badass! Deciding right now to pick up Missleman or wait for Glitchskier tonight. I only got room for one vertical shooter at the moment.

also, if I may ask MB, what's that game in your avatar? You always have such cool game avatars
Not a game, some cool art from this guy.

However he is working on an PC/console RTS based on his other art/universe

awp69

So is like Danmaku Unlimited? You start from level 1 if you die but you keep your coins to buy upgrades so the game becomes easier and easier each run until you defeat it? Or has a world map with individual levels?

More roguelike in that when you die you don't keep any upgrades.

16 levels is a little misleading. It's really like 4 different themes that have procedurally generated levels because they are similar in each "world" plus bosses for each. No map.

In some ways it's a bit like a vertical runner as well in that I tend to die more from hitting walls than enemies at times.

---

Thanks as usual for the thread MB!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Great thread!

Last one before Switch drops... can't see myself picking as many iOS games after that.

Matt Frost

More roguelike in that when you die you don't keep any upgrades.

16 levels is a little misleading. It's really like 4 different themes that have procedurally generated levels because they are similar in each "world" plus bosses for each. No map.

In some ways it's a bit like a vertical runner as well in that I tend to die more from hitting walls than enemies at times.

---

Thanks as usual for the thread MB!

I like what you say, specially that vertical runner mix. Will see what comes out tonight before purchasing...

Matt Frost

Not feeling Robot Unicorn Attack 3 at all. First, it lags on a 6. Not all the time but still a lot of shutter. Not good. Then, gameplay is very... 2012? Same as before, but now you collect fairies to eventually go to a world where you can collect stuff, and with this currency (there are 3 in the game) you can buy new unicorns (with money as well). Normal, Rare, Epic and Legendary. IAP for each currency as well. You unlock new unicorns as you play (I have 5) and they serve as lives. You can run as long as you have a unicorn left. Jump, dash... typical endless runner fare. The game also features a Fortress where you can send unicorns to hoard free coins and they take their time or you can skip by paying gems.... upgrade them, etc... I am not feeling it, feeling bored. Gameplay is very basic. Rodeo Stampede is a million times better.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Dandy Dungeon is Worth a look. The premise is all messed up.. but the gameplay is good.

awp69

Dandy Dungeon is Worth a look. The premise is all messed up.. but the gameplay is good.

Said that in the last thread. I actually enjoy the premise and humor in it. Pretty fun game although I'm not sure if it gets grindy with as many F2P IAPs it has.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Fair enough, this. Is there an iOS mass thread somewhere though? I've posted about our latest game in the Android thread here, and would love to introduce iOS peeps too but I get a feeling even making an entire new thread for it is close to advertising and inappropriate forum usage. :/

I'm very tempted by the current Steinsgate offer.
Does anyone have any opinions on it? Is there much interactivity to it?
I saw that it involves turning the device around for 'phone mode' or something, how is that on an iPad? Annoying?

Cheers!

Wow I totally missed out on Red's Kingdom from the last thread, that game sounds amazing.
And it looked like it was only $2 when I just checked.

Edit: actually... Looking at videos I don't think this is my kind of game, sadly. I love that it's an open world/Zelda like adventure kinda game, but the "sliding in a straight line until you hit something" puzzle mechanic is something I've never been a big fan of in games, I always just suck at them eventually and end up trying random moves until it works (or I give up and look up the solution).

Honestly, it's probably best for me not to get another game right now, I have such a huge backlog that I don't need to add to (trying to beat as many thing as I can before Zelda and Mass Effect come out).

Ended up byying the other version of S;G. also Corpse Party is amazing. I own this on PSP, iOS, Steam, and 3DS (my favourite version) now.

PittaGAF

I've tried to play Fire Emblem Heroes since a hour already but I always get a server error at various stages.
Now I can't even get past the initial download.

:(

raiot

Guys, I'm seriously worried! I'm a huge Cave Shooter Fan and just today discovered that all of their games are still 32 bit and won't work with iOS 11... :( I REALLY hope Cave is releasing a patch for them.

killercow

Guys, I'm seriously worried! I'm a huge Cave Shooter Fan and just today discovered that all of their games are still 32 bit and won't work with iOS 11... :( I REALLY hope Cave is releasing a patch for them.

We still don't know if iOS 11 or any future versions of iOS will "block" 32-Bits apps from working. We'll have to wait until WWDC to find out.

PittaGAF

I'm not a fan of gatcha games but I'm actually enjoying my first hour with Fire Emblems.
Tight combat, desctuctible environments, cool chars, different skills...looks promising.

If I understood well, only the one doing the killing blow gets experience...a mechanic I always liked since Warhammer Quest.

Matt Frost

Buying MissileMan and Splitter Critters now (got paid, had a bad january)

Dont update to iOS 11 then...

Glitchskier is really fun. It's sorta like a shmup version of Downwell. The levels are procedurally generated, dying starts you back at the beginning, there are loads of power ups, and you can actually change the color palette of the game through unlocks. Beating the first two bosses was fairly simple but after that it gets really hectic with many enemies that continually track you until they're destroyed. Haven't tried endless mode yet but I might get to that after I've beaten the campaign first.

I'd recommend checking out Warlock's Tower. It's a really good puzzler, with a clever core concept. You have three lives and every step you make sacrifices a life. Figuring out the route, then evading enemies and traps as new elements are introduced, can be challenging. It's a slick and well-designed puzzle game.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warlocks-tower/id1111603555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_pQvwD8FM

Glitchskier is really fun. It's sorta like a shmup version of Downwell. The levels are procedurally generated, dying starts you back at the beginning, there are loads of power ups, and you can actually change the color palette of the game through unlocks. Beating the first two bosses was fairly simple but after that it gets really hectic with many enemies that continually track you until they're destroyed. Haven't tried endless mode yet but I might get to that after I've beaten the campaign first.
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds pretty good

Talking about shmups, Bullet Hell Monday got updated with more ships and an Endless mode, among other stuff

Top Bottom