• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

okno

Yes, but I never knew you could us them to replace other tiles, which definitely changes things a lot. Seems like you have to use as many aware there though. If you drag when there are three, you have to use all three I think.

I just tried this for the first time and it is a major game changer! Can't get enough of this game @-@

Did a final vote count and here's the top ten

1) Lara Croft GO (115)
2) Downwell (66)
3) Horizon Chase (52)
4) Final Fantasy Record Keeper (45)
5) The Room Three (33)
6) Pac-Man 256 (28)
7) You Must Build A Boat (27)
8) Hero Emblems (22)
9) Attack The Light (21)
10) Warhammer 40k: Deathwatch (19)

The results thread will be up on Monday

weird, i got totally different numbers but pretty much the same order.

Decent Top 10. Final Fantasy is the only one that sticks out for me.

awp69

1) Lara Croft GO (115)
2) Downwell (66)
3) Horizon Chase (52)
5) The Room Three (33)
6) Pac-Man 256 (28)
8) Hero Emblems (22)
9) Attack The Light (21)

Not a bad top 10. Final Fantasy and Pac-Man are the only two I really don't think belong there. The others were either on my list or respectable choices.

Ashame that the best original Square Enix RPG on iOS, Chaos Rings 3, a $20 premium game, doesn't make the top 10 while a mediocre F2P money grab like Record Keeper makes it to #4. Guess that's the App Store for you.

RustyO

1) Lara Croft GO (115)
2) Downwell (66)
3) Horizon Chase (52)
5) The Room Three (33)
6) Pac-Man 256 (28)
8) Hero Emblems (22)
9) Attack The Light (21)

Thanks for organising that. I've got/played three of them... one of them doesn't belong on any top 10 list imho, but thats obviously just me... I've got some stuff to check out...

Voidance

1) Lara Croft GO (115)
2) Downwell (66)
3) Horizon Chase (52)
5) The Room Three (33)
6) Pac-Man 256 (28)
8) Hero Emblems (22)
9) Attack The Light (21)

Not bad, and I think it sums up the highs of 2015 pretty well. Not a huge fan of FF: RK, but I can see the appeal. I'm stoked that Hero Emblems made the top 10, though. Great game.

Not a bad top 10. Final Fantasy and Pac-Man are the only two I really don't think belong there. The others were either on my list or respectable choices.
Going by the award thread, some seemed to be just listing mobile games they played no matter how long they actually played it. I also noticed a couple people just put games they happened to try but didn't even enjoy 0_o

Zodzilla

Pretty sure that the extra tiles on the bottom are filled up when you clear a chain that has a higher value than the amount needed for the recipe

Yep, but the conditions on when you gain extra tiles aren't listed anywhere in the game. If, for instance, I use a tile, there's a number of turns where I have to wait to be able to gain extra tiles back, and even then, it only allows me to recover part of a tile at a time.

There's also a small colored dot at the top of each usable tile stretch, but I have no clue what it really means outside of guessing that it's a marker of how many turns you're taking.

colinp

Banned

Ashame that the best original Square Enix RPG on iOS, Chaos Rings 3, a $20 premium game, doesn't make the top 10 while a mediocre F2P money grab like Record Keeper makes it to #4. Guess that's the App Store for you.

I'd feel a lot better about Chaos Rings 3 if it actually worked with iOS 9.

A $20 premium purchase that doesn't even work on iOS 9... Insane. Guess that's the App Store for you. ;)

awp69

A $20 premium purchase that doesn't even work on iOS 9... Insane. Guess that's the App Store for you. ;)

Yeah, Square Enix doesn't have the quickest track record for iOS fixes. But for some reason it works perfectly fine for me on my iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.2.1.

I guess it sounded like most of the problems came from loading saves? For some reason, I've had no issues at all. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I didn't even get it until after I already was on iOS 9 (and wasn't aware of the issues).

I think there are some work arounds I read in the TA thread for those who are having problems.

Moreche

I'm currently deciding to sell my iPad pro and buy a Windows laptop,for steam gaming.
I find myself waiting for games on steam to come to the App Store such as prison architect and sunless sea.
I don't understand why Dee's don't make the games side by side for the App Store also.

nampad

I'm currently deciding to sell my iPad pro and buy a Windows laptop,for steam gaming.
I find myself waiting for games on steam to come to the App Store such as prison architect and sunless sea.
I don't understand why Dee's don't make the games side by side for the App Store also.

Those indies don't have enough resources to support several platforms at the same time. Also, they often have to lower the price for iOS releases so it makes sense for them to go Steam first.
On Steam, they can also go the Early Access route and release "unfinished" games.

Yup. I want to get Final Fantasy Tactics, but it's $16 premium with no updates since 2013 and spotty performance on iOS 9. That's not right. Squenix should drop the prices on games they don't support anymore.

Pachimari

It's such an unecessary dilemma. I'm still on iOS 8 but I want to play games like Chrono Trigger and Avengers: Alliance 2 but they only run on iOS 9, but some games have trouble or flat out don't work with the latest firmware lol. I'm still staying on iOS 8 though.

PittaGAF

Unable to play The Witness on iOS...I loaded up Riven once again.

OMG....totally sucked in once again....still a fucking masterpiece.

okno

Yep, but the conditions on when you gain extra tiles aren't listed anywhere in the game. If, for instance, I use a tile, there's a number of turns where I have to wait to be able to gain extra tiles back, and even then, it only allows me to recover part of a tile at a time.

There's also a small colored dot at the top of each usable tile stretch, but I have no clue what it really means outside of guessing that it's a marker of how many turns you're taking.

It doesn't tell you anywhere in the game, but you fill up the bars at the bottom by making large chains. Seems it adds to the bars when you make a combo above 256, but you won't see a noticeable change unless you make a combo above 2k. For instance, I made a 4K combo and nearly filled up two boxes. It's strange.

Emarv

Rotating? I feel like I missed something

Yeah, I just meant when you move tiles around the board, specifically to the other side of the board. Rotating was a poor choice of words.

Have to say I still prefer rymdkapsel. The idea felt more novel than what we got with twofold inc.

I agree with you in terms of originality. My main problem with rymdkapsel ended up becoming the slow start of each game that eventually made me stop playing it. Twofold is a more traditional pick up and play puzzle game, so I feel I'm gonna end up playing this one longer.

awp69

Anyone here played the new Dungelot? I'm still debating on picking it up

I have. It's really good. Much better than the steaming pile that was the second one. Very polished and haven't hit any big bugs.But admittedly, I haven't sunk a lot of time into it due to Crashlands and tons of other stuff. Need to set aside more time with it.

Do you guys feel that the Gadgets, Community, and FAQ sections in the third OP posts are still needed? Does anyone here actually read there or find them useful?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191071998&postcount=3

Thinking of trimming it just to Coming Releases, Additional Threads, and Accolades

Yeah, i agree.
iCade is old, old news and the GAF Game Center thing is long dead.
Maybe just keep a link to the MFi controller thread, as well as your 2015 games thread.

colinp

Banned
Anyone here played the new Dungelot? I'm still debating on picking it up

I echo awp's impressions, though I've played a bit more and still adore it. Requires a hit of a grind as things are quite expensive and progress can be slow, but it's awesome.

Pachimari

What are you guys playing these days? Aren't we gonna do some game nights? I have found myself spending time on games just before sleeping, and that's a nice feeling, and oh so comfy.

Marvel's Contest of Champions
I have always had this game on my frontpage, and always wanted to get into it. These past few days, I have tried doing a few more story quests, and I did my first online versus battles, and have won 2 out of 2 fights. It's honestly just one of the best games, and if not, the best fighter on a phone right now, even though I still have to understand every single item and its uses. Unlocking fighters and opening crystals is addicting.

Crossy Road
I'm still playing this one. Both on-the-go and at home. Since its release, it have been the go-to game for me, as it's design is simple, its visuals is pleasing and mechanic straight-forward. It's addicting in a way, that you always want to beat your record, but recently, I have started collecting all of the coins I can get, while trying out all the different characters, which actually changes the core theme of the gameplay. I have set my phone to notify me, whenever there are free coins to get.

Candy Crush Jelly
I have honestly never had a sweet tooth for the Candy Crush games, but I keep staying passively curious, as I have no idea how Candy Crush, have both been able to lure out money of my fathers pocket, but also made my dear mother addicted so much, that she's at stage 700+ in the original. I have slowly started checking out the latest installment, as I saw it just hit the App Store, and thus and behold, it's still the same core gameplay one have come to expect. Hopefully, I can actually compete with family members and friends in the coming weeks.

Hero Emblems
This match-3-RPG have been in the "que" folder for way too long. I curiously tried it out just minutes ago, and I'm already loving the whole way the battles are build up through the well-known match-3-type gameplay, where you can attack, defend or heal all by your choice. It seems incredibly addicting, but if it weren't for me wanting to sleep now, I would have kept on playing.

What are you currently playing?

Top Bottom