• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

I freely admit that I am too dumb to play boardgames but goddamn this Talisman game is some bullshit. Every time I make it to the inner ring, with victory close at hand, I instantly get a roll that teleports me right back to the beginning.

Fox Mulder

OP is missing something major, IMO.

Hey DEVS, this is how you do it, take note:

Instead of releasing the much beloved "fuckyouiPhonearlyadopter-iPad version", the DotEmu guys went back to
R-Type and released a major 2.0 update which not only did fix most if not every of its problems, but mainly made the app finally Universal with no more crappy 2x on iPad, yay!

I picked up both r-type and raiden. I hope they put up more stuff, I might buy EDF or Golvellius too. Feels neat buying master system or snes games on ios.

PittaGAF

Just had a super weird moment in Sine Mora.
Was playing story mode/challenging (which is utterly amazing, btw) and after the huge factory doors open, right after the red laser beams .... A HUGE PIANO FELL FROM THE CEILING INSTA-KILLING ME.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BTW they added (well...re-activated) so many little cool and awesome graphical touches it's amazing.
More importantly...there are now some effects that give you hint about where some enemy weapons are about to hit...where before I had to memorize all the patterns.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's the one gaf really liked, right? For that price I'll take a look.

I don't think GAF really knows it all that much? At least boardgaming-GAF doesn't, and we're supposed to know it best LOL.

I just played it for a while, it's... okay. I feel like it draws out unnecessarily, but it's worthwhile for the price.

Was playing story mode/challenging (which is utterly amazing, btw) and after the huge factory doors open, right after the red laser beams .... A HUGE PIANO FELL FROM THE CEILING INSTA-KILLING ME.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BTW they added (well...re-activated) so many little cool and awesome graphical touches it's amazing.
More importantly...there are now some effects that give you hint about where some enemy weapons are about to hit...where before I had to memorize all the patterns.
Besides the graphics/art design, what makes Sine Mora stand out compared to other SHMUPs?

PFD

I don't think GAF really knows it all that much? At least boardgaming-GAF doesn't, and we're supposed to know it best LOL.

I just played it for a while, it's... okay. I feel like it draws out unnecessarily, but it's worthwhile for the price.

I remember reading very positive impressions about it when it first came out, plus a new update just hit earlier this month.

I just bought it because it doesn't take up much space, and it's only 0.99.

heringer

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, gotta say I loved the graphical update. Water looks like water and metal looks like metal now. Shiny!

Disappointed with RT controls though. It's not 1:1 and too slow. RT controls are PERFECT for shmups (as in, the best possible controls, IMO) when they are done correctly (see Cave's games), but Sine More didn't get quite right. Are the devs posting on TA or some other place? Would love to ask if there's a chance they could add a sensitivity slider.

Maybe they were afraid to make the game too easy. But I don't see why they would if they were ok with making the game needlesly harder with a virtual joystick.

For now I'm sticking with joystick + Fling.

And fuck Facebook integration.

PittaGAF

Besides the graphics/art design, what makes Sine Mora stand out compared to other SHMUPs?

Well I do not know...I just happen to like it a lot :)
I generally hate bullet hell games (in before the Cave's lovers army appears :) and this is a happy medium between one and a normal western shooter.
Graphic is amazing and bosses are fantastic IMHO (gameplay related, multiple stages and all).
Has a very nice storyline too....no absurd anime crap :p
Instead of 'energy' you have a timer...when you hit enemies the timer goes up, when you are hit it goes down (this time mechanic is linked to the story)...so gameplay wise you have to find a happy medium between hit enemies and avoid bullets (sometimes it's impossible to avoid them).
I know many criticized the controls but I had no problems completing the story mode with the fixed joystick.
With RT it is even more easy (they dumbed down two portions of the game too)....the ship has fixed speed tough (something that WON'T EVER change because the game was built so) so IMHO RT isn't that critical here (said that I'm now using mirrored RT as default controls)...ie if you are hit and you lose your power ups and you aren't fast to react, you will never reach those again...no matter the controls.
Back playing...I really want to see the 'real' ending before trying the score attack modes.

Brakara

BTW, we sent another update for S&A today, discovered a bug where units sometimes ends up behind buildings. Not a huge deal (you can still see them and interact with them), but still annoying. So, sorry about that!

One request: I have a random game which has had the final slot opened for several weeks now (and will probably never start). So I'd like some cancel button (or similar) to remove that game from my game list...

PittaGAF

Yeah, gotta say I loved the graphical update. Water looks like water and metal looks like metal now. Shiny!

Disappointed with RT controls though. It's not 1:1 and too slow. RT controls are PERFECT for shmups (as in, the best possible controls, IMO) when they are done correctly (see Cave's games), but Sine More didn't get quite right. Are the devs posting on TA or some other place? Would love to ask if there's a chance they could add a sensitivity slider.

Maybe they were afraid to make the game too easy. But I don't see why they would if they were ok with making the game needlesly harder with a virtual joystick.

For now I'm sticking with joystick + Fling.

And fuck Facebook integration.

I saw them posting on TA.
As for RT...I do not think it's a RT implementation per se.
They have already stated they won't ever change the fixed (slow) speed of the ship, because they set all the game (difficulty and challenges) with that in mind....so I do not think they will ever change it.
TBH game now is already way easier....with a 'faster' RT, with 1:1 mapping...you could break many bosses encounters IMHO.
Personally I too found the ship a bit slow, and I cursed the original fixed joystick for being 'too slow' before realizing the game was supposed to be so.
Then after a while trying (the gorgeous graphics helped) the game clicked with me and I just accepted it as part of the game design.
Since then I loved every bit of the game (already over 12 hours as per in game time counter), but apparently it's just me.
If I remember correctly (can't try it right now) it's the same (slow) speed on Vita and 360, but I could be wrong so maybe someone who can actually try both versions can correct me.

Edit: no way IMHO you can get past Domus with RT.
Edit: AT LAST...just got the message I unlocked the real story ending....but I have no clue on how to see it, damn!!!!

heringer

I saw them posting on TA.
As for RT...I do not think it's a RT implementation per se.
They have already stated they won't ever change the fixed (slow) speed of the ship, because they set all the game (difficulty and challenges) with that in mind....so I do not think they will ever change it.
TBH game now is already way easier....with a 'faster' RT, with 1:1 mapping...you could break many bosses encounters IMHO.
Personally I too found the ship a bit slow, and I cursed the original fixed joystick for being 'too slow' before realizing the game was supposed to be so.
Then after a while trying (the gorgeous graphics helped) the game clicked with me and I just accepted it as part of the game design.
Since then I loved every bit of the game (already over 12 hours as per in game time counter), but apparently it's just me.
If I remember correctly (can't try it right now) it's the same (slow) speed on Vita and 360, but I could be wrong so maybe someone who can actually try both versions can correct me.

Edit: AT LAST...just got the message I unlocked the real story ending....but I have no clue on how to see it, damn!!!!

Yeah, I guess it would probably break the game. I'm getting used to mirrowed RT though, it's not too bad once you see it's not supposed to be a japanese shmup.

PittaGAF

Forget my previous edit, I'm dumb.
It's not an alternate ending...it's an alternate more complete story apparently.
Awesome....playing it right now.

PittaGAF

Yeah, I guess it would probably break the game. I'm getting used to mirrowed RT though, it's not too bad once you see it's not supposed to be a japanese shmup.

Well...I'm probably dumb but I had to switch back to joystick to get past Domus.
IMHO it's impossible with RT for some reason I can't grasp.

chiQ

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

One of the "power ups" causes that. It's super dumb.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
One request: I have a random game which has had the final slot opened for several weeks now (and will probably never start). So I'd like some cancel button (or similar) to remove that game from my game list...

Actually, if you swipe to the right you'll be able to delete it. One of those things we're going to make more obvious in future updates.
Also, the situation you describe (waiting forever for someone to join a game) is a Gamecenter bug we've run into, working on that too. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oh, and another thing (GAF exclusive reveal, for a few seconds at least!):

6pvs.png

... winter is, well, coming to Swords & Arrows!

Brakara

Actually, if you swipe to the right you'll be able to delete it. One of those things we're going to make more obvious in future updates.
Also, the situation you describe (waiting forever for someone to join a game) is a Gamecenter bug we've run into, working on that too. :)

Ah, thanks. I could've sweared I already tried to swipe, but oh well. All good now.

arimanius

Yeah, the only single player activity available as of now is map-building.
And if you want to play around with the game offline, you could always do some pass & play on your own, learn how the game works etc.
But as mentioned, we are working on single-player content, as soon I know a more exact time frame for the SP release I'll let you all know. :)

Awesome. I look forward to the sp content. The game so far is pretty cool.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Whoa, art style is really cool. What kind of gameplay?

As I described it before (it's in the OP btw), think Advance Wars with a medieval theme, ie turn-based strategy, accessible and deep is what we're going for. There's also a good number of abilites you can research for your units. Multiplayer only right now, up to 6 players, (offline and async online), but we're working on single-player content as well.
You can find it here (it's free with rather nonintrusive ads).

Awesome. I look forward to the sp content. The game so far is pretty cool.

Yeah, we got some cool ideas for SP, glad you enjoy the game still. :)

As I described it before (it's in the OP btw), think Advance Wars with a medieval theme, ie turn-based strategy, accessible and deep is what we're going for. There's also a good number of abilites you can research for your units. Multiplayer only right now, up to 6 players, (offline and async online), but we're working on single-player content as well.
You can find it here (it's free with rather nonintrusive ads).

Yeah, we got some cool ideas for SP, glad you enjoy the game still. :)
Never played Advance Wars...so these tactics are more like "rock paper scissor" than something like Warhammer Quest? I'll probably wait till SP, I don't really play MP

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Never played Advance Wars...so these tactics are more like "rock paper scissor" than something like Warhammer Quest? I'll probably wait till SP, I don't really play MP

Yeah... I'd say it's kind of similar to, but not as advanced as, Warhammer Quest, you can upgrade your units and there's terrain modifiers.
And I fully understand if you want to wait for SP (I usually prefer SP in these kind of games myself, actually), but if you feel like trying it out later on it's free at least. :)

Ziggurat - saw it in the Hidden Gems thread, sounds fun
9th Dawn - any good?
Autumn Dynasty - worth 6.99? Seems kind of pricey

Also if you guys know of any cool lesser known games, post in IOS Hidden Gems. Always looking for quality under-the-radar games.

Nyx

Finally the future is here, for me!

Got myself my first smartphone on Friday, an iPhone 5.
And now I want to fill it with fun games and apps, so expect me in this thread often!

Besided the usual suspects and the ones in the op, any gaming tips for me?

I like (turnbased) strategy games, puzzlers, sim/tycoon games etc.

Already have Pocket Planes, Minigolf Match Up, Real Football 2013, Baseball Stars 2013, Ruzzle, Towers 'n Trolls, Wordfeud, and Draw Something.

Also just bought an iTunes gift card so I can pay for some games as well.

Great topics btw!

PittaGAF

Finally the future is here, for me!

Got myself my first smartphone on Friday, an iPhone 5.
And now I want to fill it with fun games and apps, so expect me in this thread often!

Besided the usual suspects and the ones in the op, any gaming tips for me?

I like (turnbased) strategy games, puzzlers, sim/tycoon games etc.

Already have Pocket Planes, Minigolf Match Up, Real Football 2013, Baseball Stars 2013, Ruzzle, Towers 'n Trolls, Wordfeud, and Draw Something.

Also just bought an iTunes gift card so I can pay for some games as well.

Great topics btw!

You are golden for TBS on iOS, imho the perfect platform :D

These are my favorites during last years (some are ports, some are unique):

Final Fantasy Tactics
Hunters 2
Ravensmark
Warhammer Quest

XCOM is an awesome port of an objectively awesome game, but I happen to dislike the management part (i'ts recommended tough).

In the next weeks/months Shadowrun Returns and Space Hulk should arrive on tablets too.

If you are into async TBS games, I suggest you check out Ravensmark:Mercenaries and Sword&Arrows (both free).

Nyx

Sounds great, will check them out!

Already finished XCom on the 360 so I'll pass on that one.
Breach & Clear also seems interesting btw!

PittaGAF

Sounds great, will check them out!

Already finished XCom on the 360 so I'll pass on that one.
Breach & Clear also seems interesting btw!

Can't say, I do not have it but others do (there should be impressions some pages ago).

BTW I would like to take chance once again to point out the great work done in the OP (Tunesmith and collaborators :p)...it's not only super slick but incredibly handy for newcomers (and not only them) too.
If someone new just cruise the last 2-3 OP she/he will probably have to play for the next year already :p
Awesome stuff.

Nyx

Can't say, I do not have it but others do (there should be impressions some pages ago).

BTW I would like to take chance once again to point out the great work done in the OP (Tunesmith and collaborators :p)...it's not only super slick but incredibly handy for newcomers (and not only them) too.
If someone new just cruise the last 2-3 OP she/he will probably have to play for the next year already :p
Awesome stuff.

Aye I already checked out this OP and the one from June and plan on checking the older topics out as well.

So many games to try!

PittaGAF

Aye I already checked out this OP and the one from June and plan on checking the older topics out as well.

So many games to try!

Eh....be warned that one of the best/worst things in the iOS gaming scene is that almost every week you can have something new to try, mostly for free.
If you get cought in that net..it's a no return point...your backlog will be HUGE in no time.
One year ago this wasn't true for every genre, expecially the meatier ones, but now it's changing.

Personally I already know that Shadowrun Returns, Space Hulk and possibily a Warhammer Quest expansion will be out all in the same week.
It sucks.
But I'm thrilled :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Awesome stuff.

/bow

You're welcome, I do it because I enjoy it. Though it's a pain some weeks when there are tons of releases. ;-)

As always if there's a game out that is not in the OP and you think it should be, give me a shout (or vice versa!).

PittaGAF

Am I the only one incredibly pissed off by the fact Shadowrun Returns seems awesome and the iOS version date is a mystery?

Many trusted friends of mine are playing this...I refuse to look at any video or playing it before trying it on my iPad...
They are telling me it's like a great adventure game with XCOM lite combats.
Straightforward story focused narration, about 10-12 hours long.

Seems like my perfect game :/

Anyone here playing on PC can confirm?

Nyx

Can't find it in older threads so maybe I'm mistaken and it's not on iOS, but wasn't there a tycoon game in which you had to manage your own arcade hall?

ParityBit

Am I the only one incredibly pissed off by the fact Shadowrun Returns seems awesome and the iOS version date is a mystery?

Many trusted friends of mine are playing this...I refuse to look at any video or playing it before trying it on my iPad...
They are telling me it's like a great adventure game with XCOM lite combats.
Straightforward story focused narration, about 10-12 hours long.

Seems like my perfect game :/

Anyone here playing on PC can confirm?

I am playing it, and I love it. It is as you said. :)

I actually have played some XCOM on my PC, but for some reason want to double dip and play it on my iPad instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom