• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

Hmm I just watched a video of Sorcery! and looked better than I expected... any recommendation?
Wait, you're only looking at Sorcery now? Dude, you're missing out. The current trilogy is one of my favorite experiences on mobile. Each game expands in scope - the third being an open world across two timelines - and your choices matter. Stuff you do in 1 might come back to haunt you in 3. Our experiences can vary drastically because equipment, gold, spells, and others elements carry over between games and we could have different inventories and knowledge

I like 80 Days for its world building and atmosphere, but Sorcery is more complex every other aspect. More text, RPG elements, combat. The best interactive fiction on mobile IMO. I can't recommend Sorcery games enough.

Dalek

I finished Sorcery on a flight back from Hawaii recently and the entire time I played it I was paranoid I was making the wrong decisions....

awp69

One of my favorite dual stick shooters, Starborn Anarkist, is currently free. What sets it apart is ship building that can make huge differences in the way the game plays, both physics and defense wise.

Looks like Blood Bowl is also free, although it got pretty mixed reception.

For two weeks now I haven't been able to check the "Best New Games" section of the Appstore. Whenever I tap on "See All>" it takes me to a screen that says nothing but "Best New Games" and a grey box with "Featured" in it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wonder if it's because I'm still on iOS 7.1

okno

there are three buttons on the left: menu, Zzz (rest), map

im playing on easy so it automaps, not sure if thats how it works on Normal

Ah, I'm on Normal, so no map button, I guess... Which is weird, because it doesn't tell you that there won't be a map on normal mode and gives you the option to go mapless. Very strange. Oh well! Guess I'll be doing it old school :) I couldn't stop looking at the clock at work, ticking down the time until I would be back at home playing LoG!

Matt Frost

Wait, you're only looking at Sorcery now? Dude, you're missing out. The current trilogy is one of my favorite experiences on mobile. Each game expands in scope - the third being an open world across two timelines - and your choices matter. Stuff you do in 1 might come back to haunt you in 3. Our experiences can vary drastically because equipment, gold, spells, and others elements carry over between games and we could have different inventories and knowledge

I like 80 Days for its world building and atmosphere, but Sorcery is more complex every other aspect. More text, RPG elements, combat. The best interactive fiction on mobile IMO. I can't recommend Sorcery games enough.

I reinstalled 80 Days, a game I absolutely adore and went to the north pole, completing the game in just 43 days, my best run ever :)

I see the bundle for 12$ and it only takes 600mb intalling all of them... Seems like a good deal... I like that choice carry over to the next installment in the series and you keep your inventory, thats neat. And it has combat, nice welcoming addition to 80 Days. The thing I am not exited about is more text lol but one of the things I love about 80 Days is the stories told, they are good, with many choices. So this should be better. I also loved and think of Out There one of the best games ever. And the Omega expansion just improves it. Will be buying it thanks More_Badass :)

For two weeks now I haven't been able to check the "Best New Games" section of the Appstore. Whenever I tap on "See All>" it takes me to a screen that says nothing but "Best New Games" and a grey box with "Featured" in it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wonder if it's because I'm still on iOS 7.1

No that never happened to me. Strange. What device do you have? If it fits the requirements maybe its time to update to the latest iOS you thing can handle. Or contact Apple for support. They are good folks who are keen to help out.

awp69

Why does it not surprise me that Eli, who gave five stars to Candy Crush Saga, decided to do the review for Angry Birds 2. He rarely reviews stuff and, surprise, he gives five stars to another game with serious F2P mechanisms.

The game is actually good, but is ruined by its F2P mechanics. At least Eli's consistent. LOL.

Matt Frost

Blockwick 2
02%2BDescargar%2BBlockwick%2B2%2BPremium%2BPro%2BFull%2BBlock%2BWick%2Bv1.0%2B.apk%2B1.0%2BAPK%2BAndroid%2BApkingdom%2BDownload%2BPuzzle%2BZippyshare%2BMediafire%2BTablet%2BM%C3%B3vil.png

I am waaaay to addicted to Blockwick 2, the game is so good I am starting to consider it the best sliding puzzler on the AppStore. Everything in it scream high quality and great production values. It has even two extra challenge per level that unlocks new things -there are more than 200 levels-, a premium experience -even lets you skip puzzles if you get stuck-, a charming and pleasing minimalist visual style with great audio -something I rarely pay attention to-, some really nice and different levels, the sliding controls are extremely good, so responsive. You have to play with the level moving pieces around until you connect the colored ones. The levels are satisfying to solve and the learning curve is almost perfect. I am loving this one a lot, and as I said before, maybe is the best sliding puzzler on the AppStore.

Yeah, thinking about it, the newly updated art style in Angry Birds 2, really does have similar animation to the Rayman games.

I noticed that as soon as I saw the pirate ship carrying the big piggy. Strikingly similar.

Also, as for the review, the guy is addicted to the game, dont care about timers at all for what I seen, he is the head of the site so no one can complain... what do you expect? :p

For me, its like a modern version of the original with even worse IAP -Timers on a trial and error game, what?- and nothing really new to get me interested again. Pass.

heringer

Angry Birds 2 throws trial and error out of the window in the most unfair and punishing way possible. The fact that the game is very stingy with lifes completely breaks the flow of the formula. 3 lives is not enough to 3 star a complex level, and the game makes it worse by adding multiple phases within a level and slightly changing the structure every time you try it. This means that if you can't 3 stars with 3 tries, tough luck. You can try again in a couple of hours, but by then your notion of what works and what doesn't work for the level won't be the same, so chances are you will waste your 3 lives to learn what works again. Think about that for a second. You have 3 lives to try a level that has more than one stage and changes itself every time you retry. This completely breaks the game for a lot of people, including me.

Dalek

Angry Birds 2 throws trial and error out of the window in the most unfair and punishing way possible. The fact that the game is very stingy with lifes completely breaks the flow of the formula. 3 lives is not enough to 3 star a complex level, and the game makes it worse by adding multiple phases within a level and slightly changing the structure every time you try it. This means that if you can't 3 stars with 3 tries, tough luck. You can try again in a couple of hours, but by then your notion of what works and what doesn't work for the level won't be the same, so chances are you will waste your 3 lives to learn what works again. Think about that for a second. You have 3 lives to try a level that has more than one stage and changes itself every time you retry. This completely breaks the game for a lot of people, including me.

My wife is a huge Angry Birds fan-plays all the games and 3 stars every level, etc. She downloaded this and has been ranting to me. She's hated the IAP introduced to the series in the last few outtings but this one takes the cake, she said.

awp69

Completely agree. The whole fun of Angry Birds was trying to do better through trial and error.

Random generation sounds great but that alone breaks the nature of the game. Throw in the life/energy system and it's even worse.

It's ashame since the newly renovated graphics and multistage levels do breathe some new life into the game.

I don't know what Rovio was thinking. There are other ways they could have built in F2P without destroying the very heart what made it successful to begin with.

No that never happened to me. Strange. What device do you have? If it fits the requirements maybe its time to update to the latest iOS you thing can handle. Or contact Apple for support. They are good folks who are keen to help out.

I'm still on a 4S. I could always update to the latest release of iOS but it really slows down the phone. A friend of mine with a 4S did that and instantly regretted it after seeing how sluggish it became. Anyway, I will probably be upgrading to the 6S this year so it's not too big of a deal. I was just wanting to check and see if anyone else was experiencing it.

If I recall, my gripe with Blockwick 2 was that it sometimes felt like the levels had too many blocks in them, so I found that some could become tedious, especially when you're close to a solution and you're trying to get that last block over to a specific spot.

One of the reasons I like Shapist over it is because Shapist has less pieces in its stages and focuses more on the mechanics and unique blocks. That, and the minimalist aesthetic

But that's not to say Blockwick 2 is bad. It's not. It's an excellent puzzle game, with tons of levels and just radiates polish. I'd recommend them both easily, but prefer Shapist over Blockwick

Matt Frost

If I recall, my gripe with Blockwick 2 was that it sometimes felt like the levels had too many blocks in them, so I found that some could become tedious, especially when you're close to a solution and you're trying to get that last block over to a specific spot.

One of the reasons I like Shapist over it is because Shapist has less pieces in its stages and focuses more on the mechanics and unique blocks. That, and the minimalist aesthetic

But that's not to say Blockwick 2 is bad. It's not. It's an excellent puzzle game, with tons of levels and just radiates polish. I'd recommend them both easily, but prefer Shapist over Blockwick

Yes, definitely, Blockwick 2 is excellent. Brilliant. I like that it has a lot of blocks. Yesterday I drained my battery (from 65%) playing this gem. I am going for the glyph in all levels to unlock challenge mode, and since its not that difficult I am enjoying every part of it. Along with Pac-Man Championship Edition DX and Enlight, the best 5$ is spent in quite a while.

As soon as I recharge my iPhone I am going to play Shapist on my iPhone.

August thread will be up later today, putting it together now

At least an hour will be spent trying to pick only one Pitta quote for the Deathwatch impressions

PittaGAF

August thread will be up later today, putting it together now

At least an hour will be spent trying to pick only one Pitta quote for the Deathwatch impressions

LOL. :)

Just say GLORIOUS :)

BTW...as you are a WH40K fan....how did you find the game? You wrote nothing about it!!!

On a tangent note, two things:

1) I'm told the iPad version of Obsidian Parhfinder shown at Gencon looks glorious. (Their word, not mine).
2) as we were talking about Rodeo, Fantasy Flight Games has a Warhammer Quest Adventures Card Game (physical) slated later this year...not what I hoped (WHQ plain reprint) but interesting nonetheless.

LOL. :)

Just say GLORIOUS :)

BTW...as you are a WH40K fan....how did you find the game? You wrote nothing about it!!!
Been on vacation since mid July, so haven't had time to play as much as I'd like or write lengthy impressions. Just got back last night

Honestly, I had been expecting to play a lot of Transistor and Deathwatch on the roadtrip (we drive from NY to Florida) and yet most of my iPad time was taken up by...Turbo Dismount, Race The Sun, and Trigonarium.

Top Bottom