• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

awp69

So Prune just got a super rare 10/Platinum from Pocket Gamer
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Prune/review.asp?c=66644

I think the last game to be earn that was Wayward Souls

Edit: made an OT for Prune
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083544

Got a mess going on at work, family issues and too many games already on my plate, but going to have to get Prune regardless.

Divide by Sheep is on sale for $.99. Any thoughts from those that played it? Because I really need another game ;)
Honestly wish it was on Android (coming soon) because I just don't have the room on my Mini after just squeezing in Prune.

Also been eyeing Furdemption. Too many good releases this year and more on the way!

Wingus

Adventure Time Puzzle Quest keeps resetting to the tutorial every time I boot the game on my 4S. (alongside crashes).

Sadly have to delete this for now, and I'm a big Puzzle Quest fan :(

awp69

Okay, that's weird... I can see I have the F2P game in my purchased list, it's not listed on the app store, that version posted above isn't listed on the app store, but there IS one that's just Pac-Man CE which hasn't been updated since 2012 and doesn't work on iOS 8.

This is really bizarre.

So you got the new version during soft launch?

I wonder if you redownload it, whether it would end up being the final paid version?

Matt Frost

Some games I been playing this month...

Tales from Deep Space
screen640x640.jpeg

After both Lost Winds games, I hesitated... how could I? I got it when it was on sale foe 4$ and... its excellent. Its more focused on adventure, story
telling and sense of humor above the platforming and shooting parts but everything is equally fun. Shooting is simple, as E and Casi are smart and even help you out with positioning while you furiously tap on the enemies. Shooting levels and buttons is even easier. Controls are a bit awkward at first but they work well and soon enough they become easy, drag where you want to go and they sort platform automatically. There are some directions changes that are a bit hard to do but nothing worrisome at all. Gameplay follow the traditional platforming sections with swapping characters to solve the various puzzles presented along. Most involve switches and elevators and are very intuitive to solve. Everything well very well together and its a joy to play throughout. AmazonGameStudios sure know who to do level design and polish to their games for sure. And the Frontier Developments stamp of quality is proven with their early releases. If you liked those games, get this one as well. Kotaku was right to name it "The best mobile adventure of the year".

Alto´s Adventure
screen640x640.jpeg

Didn't like this one when it was released, but it has been growing slowly on me and now I cant stop playing it. Its zen like gameplay with outstanding and day/night cycle, the progressions system unlocking different characters with different abilities and much more shows that a lot of indie love was poured into Alto´s Adventure, my favorite endless runner since the now gone from the AppStore "Worm Run". A letter of love to the endless runner genre.

Nono Islands
screen322x572.jpeg

The Swedish studio Illusion Labs is a favorite of mine. They released my favorite puzzler of 2012 called "Blast-A-Way". An innovative game where you had to blow stuff up to free little cubes in 3D using three different characters. And they also released the great Mr. Crab. Nono Islands is their last offering and they prove to keep on releasing quality games. Is a platformer played with taps and swipes, Crossy Road style, but more deeper and, in my opinion, better. You will have to rely on your reflexes and thinking ahead to succeed in this strange platformer filled with traps along the way. The levels also can be completed on speed-runs to add replayability with GameCenter support and also has the best F2P system I seen in years. Is F2P but you can make it premium for 3$ unlocking all the checkpoints. Fun game I supported with a smile to see what offering this mighty studio may bring next.

Cublast
screen640x640.jpeg

A completely free game (IAP to change color themes, that's it... no ADS of timers etc...) that reminds me of an old game called Ball on a Wall Pocket. Tilt and touch controls for this minimalist challenging platformer that keeps on adding and improving the gameplay each level. Worth checking out.

Furdemption
screen322x572.jpeg

A puzzler that plays like a fast paced platformer with outstanding animations and smart level design. Swipe controls make it fun and frantic to play and gameplay involves crates, bombs and many more things you already seen before but a new way that makes Furdemption a unique game. With over 100 fun levels with more to come in a future update. Help the rabbit earn its wings back and escape from hell. An indie labor of love. I love this game.

Spectrum
screen520x924.jpeg

Plays like Pigs Cant Fly but more difficult. First chapter is easy but then it becomes a challenge. All the levels are different and they are full of events like in the Rayman Run games, making them a joy to play... when you are not frustrated of course. Is a good game. Plays well and is good, but with many other GotY worthy releases this month, I haven't given it more time.

Next are Divide By Sheep, To-Fu Fury, The Long Siege and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX... another day...

Shaneus

So you got the new version during soft launch?

I wonder if you redownload it, whether it would end up being the final paid version?
No, I don't have any of them. I have some weird F2P version which was pulled (I think it came out late last year) and can see a cheaper, very old Pac-man CE on the app store (which hasn't been pulled, despite being incompatible with iOS 8 AND 7).

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
Has there been any updates on the FFVII iOS release?

I tried the QBert remake. The original game looks delicious. Im wondering if it has mfi support. I havent bought one yet, but i have the mad catz ctrli in my amazon cart. Waiting for a slight price drop.

Am 10 levels through Prune right now, it's like if meditation and a Japanese painting had an offspring that was cultured into a game. Playing it reminds me of the same zen feeling I had while playing monument valley. Beautiful game.

Matt Frost

Welcome back.

Thank you, Mario :)

And, also, to be honest (as usual xD) I tend to get way too mad sometimes, sorry for that. I had a bad experience with something a while ago and kept the anger inside for a long time. And then a chain reaction of events came in and liberated me (also reading some books like The Four Agreements by Dr. Miguel Ruiz among others). And seeing you also pardoning me also helps. Thanks.

And to keep thing iOS related, my view on Heroki....
screen520x924.jpeg

Heroki was highly criticized both by TouchArcade and PocketGamer very hard and I dont know why. Yes, it has some bugs, but what game doesnt have at least one or two? Yes, being five years in development could have amended that, sure, but from my view I think those years in development made it something special, something that if released ten years ago we would remember it as a classic. Levels are huge, with lots to collect and explore. Designs are trough the roof. The world is vivid and fresh with even a town with mini games. The mechanics are fresh and engaging. There are three control options. Graphics congruent with the publisher, NO IAP premium experience. Finding one of two bugs like going under a door instead of through it to pass it doesnt take away so many points for me. Maybe those reviewers had some insanely high expectations or didn't have a good day, who knows, but their didn't do this game any justice. Picomy, dont take them to heart, you make a memorable and different platformer that should be installed by default on every iOS device to show how good the platform can be for gaming.

And some sad news too... Worm Run, a spin off of the endless runner genre and my favorite, is no longer available on the AppStore. This game will never leave my iPhone, never... Farewell, my hero.
mzl.ykdvtbva.jpg

Forgot to say that I have iOS 9 Public Beta 2 installed and is wonderful. Takes less space, the battery saver is incredible making it consume a lot less. A lot faster... it seems like it was made for the iPhone 6. All my games except one works. Doesn't have many bugs. Wonderful. Good one, Apple.

Also, about the TouchArcade Patreon, I hope it succeeds. Without TouchArcade Forums many developers would be lost in the swarm of Apps publisher each day on the AppStore. Their forums are watched daily by almost all iOS avid gamers and is a good place for them to get some exposure. PocketGamer is awesome and better with their reviews, but lack the most important thing for anyone looking for a database that TouchArcade acknowledges: a forum. Its definitely important. But their lack of freedom of speech is something they can get more flexible about. Definitely more flexible.

heringer

I think Pocketgamer is worse than TouchArcade with their reviews. Actually, far worse. I don't really like TouchArcade's reviews, but at least they try. PG reviews are usually very superficial and not very well written save from some rare exceptions. I guess they lost their best writters and the guy who does most of the reviews simply isn't very good at it. TouchArcade's Shaun Musgrave, for instance, does good reviews.

killercow

Just bought AG Drive, the intro alone is a love letter to the 90's futuristic racers.
The gameplay and sense of speed is amazing and it controls really well (though I'd like to see some support for MFi controllers). At this point the only thing missing is multiplayer.

Matt Frost

I think Pocketgamer is worse than TouchArcade with their reviews. Actually, far worse. I don't really like TouchArcade's reviews, but at least they try. PG reviews are usually very superficial and not very well written save from some rare exceptions. I guess they lost their best writters and the guy who does most of the reviews simply isn't very good at it. TouchArcade's Shaun Musgrave, for instance, does good reviews.

Agreed that TouchArcade makes them more detailed and longer, but their rating system doesnt work. They award 4 stars to a good game (a game that you should consider if you like the genre), 4.5 to a great one (to a game they think you should really consider regardless of genre and other nitpicks you may have) and 5 stars to must haves (game you should buy it instantly) while PocketGamer have more scores to play with, and does a better job at not handing so many Gold and Platinum awards, making them more valuable. A platinum award is something very rare that happens once a year. Gold awards doent happen very often and Silver Awards means is a really good game. While TouchArcade gives 5 star ratings every week, even two a week. I prefer the PocketGamer system. I trust their ratings more.

And I agree that Musgrave is a good writer, one of the best around.

heringer

Agreed that TouchArcade makes them more detailed and longer, but their rating system doesnt work. They award 4 stars to a good game (a game that you should consider if you like the genre), 4.5 to a great one (to a game they think you should really consider regardless of genre and other nitpicks you may have) and 5 stars to must haves (game you should buy it instantly) while PocketGamer have more scores to play with, and does a better job at not handing so many Gold and Platinum awards, making them more valuable. A platinum award is something very rare that happens once a year. Gold awards doent happen very often and Silver Awards means is a really good game. While TouchArcade gives 5 star ratings every week, even two a week. I prefer the PocketGamer system. I trust their ratings more.

And I agree that Musgrave is a good writer, one of the best around.

My favorite site for mobile reviews nowadays is Hardcoredroid.com. They don't sugar coat anything and are very honest in their reviews. I don't even bother reading reviews from other sites anymore (except when it's something by a writter I like, like Shaun). Sadly, only Android releases, but most of them are on iOS anyway.

Li Kao

Worth pointing out the definite rise in quality of Toucharcade. They were at rock bottom but starting with the addition of Shaun Musgrave to the team they really upped their game. And while I've not yet had the possibility to gauge every new member, the review of Vietnam '65 by Tasos Lazarides showed me another guy to follow.
http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/05/vietnam-65-review/

Writing wise, if we skip on the topic of the original writers' worth, one thing TA could skip on is the nearly weekly insecure fanboy piece. I know we live in unpredictable times, that traditional gamers fear for the future of their hobby and that in some way it's a fear that can be shared by mobile fans, but please, stop it with the 'have you seen these wonderful mobile numbers', 'it isn't announced for mobile but I guarantee you it will come', etc.
I understand the sentiment, but they could definitely dial it down a notch.

My favorite site for mobile reviews nowadays is Hardcoredroid.com. They don't sugar coat anything and are very honest in their reviews. I don't even bother reading reviews from other sites anymore (except when it's something by a writter I like, like Shaun). Sadly, only Android releases, but most of them are on iOS anyway.
I only really play attention to PocketTactics and TA's Shaun. Besides that, I'll glance at a few sites to see what the general consensus is, but I tend to trust user impressions and personal preference more.

Even for PC games, the only site I really follow is RockPaperShotgun. I tend to play indie games that have few or zero reviews, so I'm guess I'm accustomed to just following my gut rather than waiting for reviews

heringer

Worth pointing out the definite rise in quality of Toucharcade. They were at rock bottom but starting with the addition of Shaun Musgrave to the team they really upped their game. And while I've not yet had the possibility to gauge every new member, the review of Vietnam '65 by Tasos Lazarides showed me another guy to follow.
http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/05/vietnam-65-review/

Writing wise, if we skip on the topic of the original writers' worth, one thing TA could skip on is the nearly weekly insecure fanboy piece. I know we live in unpredictable times, that traditional gamers fear for the future of their hobby and that in some way it's a fear that can be shared by mobile fans, but please, stop it with the 'have you seen these wonderful mobile numbers', 'it isn't announced for mobile but I guarantee you it will come', etc.
I understand the sentiment, but they could definitely dial it down a notch.

And unfortunately that affects their reviews too, because they frequently praise a lot of cookie cutter games just because it's on mobile. Even Shaun is partly guilty of this. I think it's time to raise the standards a notch or two.

While I'm disappointed that PG's review have really diminished in length and detail in recent months, it's my favorite site in terms of learning about indie games and smaller games that you wouldn't see covered on TA or other sites

The news writers there bring light to a lot of cool stuff.
<_< >_>
I might be a tad biased

tmdorsey

Pac Man Championship DX is out Worldwide:
https://appsto.re/us/tk9C7.i

I've been waiting for an iOS release of this game for years!

I have a hard time believing the touch screen is going to work well for this with the reflexes necessary to be good at the game

It might not, but I'm damn sure try my best to make the touch controls work! I'm damn near 40 so it's really gonna be a challenge I can't wait.

awp69

Shaun is the only one on TA that I pay much attention to. Carter's reviews can be atrocious at times. Tasos seems to overrate a lot of games IMO.

And I kind of also feel Pocket Gamer has slid a bit in quality, but on the whole, it's still my go to site for editorial content.

I really, really wish PG had a forum. I know TA's forums are currently the most vibrant and it's great for interacting with devs. But too often politics get involved, which is one thing I like about our little iOS community here is less petty fighting and no degradation of people's views.

Touch Arcade probably gets 90% of its page views from the forum. You would think PG would want to tap into that. Maybe they just relinquish the throne to TA. But the more places people can discuss mobile, the better. Alternatives may even reduce or change the sometimes heavy handed practices on TA.

Is anyone playing Adventure Time? I played it for a bit and it seems really crap, like every other Adventure Time game then.

The core mechanics aren't much fun to begin with (it's hard to come back to something so limited after Pokémon Shuffle) and the game does a terrible job of explaining, well, anything. There's no tutorial, it just dumps you in a game and fair enough, it's not like the gameplay is complex, but it's so vague about what causes what.

Various things I don't like include no apparent link between colours you match and attack power, even though the game suggested that would be the case. My attack power being listed as 9999 which is surely some kind of bug or something. Enemy attacks are stupidly difficult to get off the grid because there are so many colours that you rarely have more than a couple of possible moves. No fucking idea what levelling up does. No idea what items do. No idea what's consumable and what's not. No idea what in-game currency is for or how to earn it. No idea what the point of unlocking characters is or why they go away or what to look for in a character or how to build a party. Basically the game tells you nothing, hints at nothing, explains nothing, to the point where I have no idea how to play it. All I do is play a shitty match-three game and wait for something else I don't understand to happen.

It's not exactly fun.

awp69

Is anyone playing Adventure Time? I played it for a bit and it seems really crap, like every other Adventure Time game then.

The core mechanics aren't much fun to begin with (it's hard to come back to something so limited after Pokémon Shuffle) and the game does a terrible job of explaining, well, anything. There's no tutorial, it just dumps you in a game and fair enough, it's not like the gameplay is complex, but it's so vague about what causes what.

Various things I don't like include no apparent link between colours you match and attack power, even though the game suggested that would be the case. My attack power being listed as 9999 which is surely some kind of bug or something. Enemy attacks are stupidly difficult to get off the grid because there are so many colours that you rarely have more than a couple of possible moves. No fucking idea what levelling up does. No idea what items do. No idea what's consumable and what's not. No idea what in-game currency is for or how to earn it. No idea what the point of unlocking characters is or why they go away or what to look for in a character or how to build a party. Basically the game tells you nothing, hints at nothing, explains nothing, to the point where I have no idea how to play it. All I do is play a shitty match-three game and wait for something else I don't understand to happen.

It's not exactly fun.

I can't say anything about this specific instance. But I honestly have not bothered with any of the F2P Puzzle Quest variations.

I just don't enjoy the freemium elements and there are too many better alternatives. Even though there's others in the thread that didn't find Guardian Sword enjoyable. I found it to be much bette other RPG match 3 games, especially the PQ ones.

And, of course, Hero Emblems is still king of the genre IMO and much deeper and strategic than others.

On the same note, I picked up The Long Siege. I was a little hesitant about the game because of the real-time element combined with the sliding match mechanics, but it's pretty fun.

To me it has more in common with castle defense games than the typical RPG match three. Instead of waiting for mana, gold or energy to call up various fighters, it's making matches that brings them to battle. There is some leveling up and other things that make it more than just a casual game.

But it's the time pressure and having to react very quickly that set it apart....much more so than even 1000000 and You Must Build a Boat. When things get hectic, there are also cannons on the board that you can use to defend yourself.

I still struggle more with the sliding row mechanics, but it is nicely done and challenging.

However, Hero Emblems will continue to be the game to beat. And it will be very difficult to do so. Here's hoping for a sequel some day.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Pac Man Championship DX is out Worldwide:
https://appsto.re/us/tk9C7.i

Bought. Honestly controls very well! Think of it as a joystick that stays in the direction you flip it. So you can swipe a direction before you get to a turn and pacman will make the turn. Very responsive and very playable. Obviously a controller is a better solution, but the controls as implemented work very well. No regrets.

chris121580

Bought. Honestly controls very well! Think of it as a joystick that stays in the direction you flip it. So you can swipe a direction before you get to a turn and pacman will make the turn. Very responsive and very playable. Obviously a controller is a better solution, but the controls as implemented work very well. No regrets.

This is great news! I'm glad to hear touch screen controls work for it

Anyone else playing Prune. The levels get pretty tricky, I like how it continues to introduce new mechanics.

And since the gameplay is so freeform, it's fun to replay or just chill and enjoy the art and visuals, compared to other artistic games like Monument Valley and Framed, which are more one-and-done experiences

awp69

Anyone else playing Prune. The levels get pretty tricky, I like how it continues to introduce new mechanics.

And since the gameplay is so freeform, it's fun to replay or just chill and enjoy the art and visuals, compared to other artistic games like Monument Valley and Framed, which are more one-and-done experiences

Yes, I agree. It's really well done in that there's no one way to succeed. Very enjoyable. Only minor annoyance is the challenge could ramp up more evenly. There was one level in the first world even that took me probably a dozen tries then the next level was simple and done in about 10 seconds.

Overall though, it's a nice experience. Haven't had the time to get too far but am anxious to see how it plays out. I get the theme, but that PG review has me curious at how it gets to be as emotional as they made it out to be.

mdb

Neo Member
And to keep thing iOS related, my view on Heroki....
screen520x924.jpeg

Heroki was highly criticized both by TouchArcade and PocketGamer very hard and I dont know why. Yes, it has some bugs, but what game doesnt have at least one or two? Yes, being five years in development could have amended that, sure, but from my view I think those years in development made it something special, something that if released ten years ago we would remember it as a classic. Levels are huge, with lots to collect and explore. Designs are trough the roof. The world is vivid and fresh with even a town with mini games. The mechanics are fresh and engaging. There are three control options. Graphics congruent with the publisher, NO IAP premium experience. Finding one of two bugs like going under a door instead of through it to pass it doesnt take away so many points for me. Maybe those reviewers had some insanely high expectations or didn't have a good day, who knows, but their didn't do this game any justice. Picomy, dont take them to heart, you make a memorable and different platformer that should be installed by default on every iOS device to show how good the platform can be for gaming.

Thank you so much for this :) you have no idea how glad we are Heroki clicks with you, awp69 and a lot more people and your support is amazing!

My personal (slightly biased of course :p) opinion: I think you are spot on regarding the high expectations from those reviewers. Don't know why though...

But overall, we gained a lot of useful feedback we're going to add and tweak into the next update. New features in the next update will include: MFi controller support, multiple save slots and likely localisation as well. :)

Thanks!

Shocking confession: I didn't like Hero Emblems.

The only match-3 I liked was P&D, and only because of the team-building aspect and that the game played a bit different from a traditional match-3.

awp69

Thank you so much for this :) you have no idea how glad we are Heroki clicks with you, awp69 and a lot more people and your support is amazing!

My personal (slightly biased of course :p) opinion: I think you are spot on regarding the high expectations from those reviewers. Don't know why though...

But overall, we gained a lot of useful feedback we're going to add and tweak into the next update. New features in the next update will include: MFi controller support, multiple save slots and likely localisation as well. :)

Thanks!

I'm just glad you aren't taking those reviews to heart and can see how much others are enjoying such an amazingly top notch game.

And I truly hope the game is selling well because you deserve all the success you can get!

Is there a good resource to check out what the best/ most popular iOS games have been over the past few years? I just bought an Air 2 and I'm out of the loop, I sold my last iPad around the time Year Walk game out.

I'm excited to try Device 6, 80 Days, and Monument Valley. What other big games have there been?

Is there a good resource to check out what the best/ most popular iOS games have been over the past few years? I just bought an Air 2 and I'm out of the loop, I sold my last iPad around the time Year Walk game out.

I'm excited to try Device 6, 80 Days, and Monument Valley. What other big games have there been?
Well to be honest, the thread OPs are probably the most distilled list of popular releases. Well, the easiest one to search through at least

Made this thread last year, need to update for releases from the past few months
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

As for recommendations off the top of my head:
- Prune
- Her Story
- Implosion
- Hero Emblems
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Blek
- PC ports (FTL, Papers Please, Dont Starve, Door Kickers, This War of Mine, Transistor)
- Botanicula
- Hitman GO
- Threes
- Hoplite
- 868 Hack
- rymdkapsel
- Sky Force

Thanks! Completely forgot about Hitman Go, I'm excited to try that. Very excited to find out from this thread that there's a new Spider game coming out, Bryce Manor was amazing.

awp69

More Badass' list is good. I'd also throw in Deathwatch and Heroki as two of my more recent favorites.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any particularly good async games? Checked out the board game thread but I'm interested in all genres. Friend has a 5S and I have a 6 Plus and Air 2 so pretty much anything is an option.

Matt Frost

Looking at that website the first thing that comes to mind is... Android lacks a lot of the good stuff we have on iOS. Like, most of what I play xD

On the same note, I picked up The Long Siege. I was a little hesitant about the game because of the real-time element combined with the sliding match mechanics, but it's pretty fun.

To me it has more in common with castle defense games than the typical RPG match three. Instead of waiting for mana, gold or energy to call up various fighters, it's making matches that brings them to battle. There is some leveling up and other things that make it more than just a casual game.

But it's the time pressure and having to react very quickly that set it apart....much more so than even 1000000 and You Must Build a Boat. When things get hectic, there are also cannons on the board that you can use to defend yourself.

I still struggle more with the sliding row mechanics, but it is nicely done and challenging.

However, Hero Emblems will continue to be the game to beat. And it will be very difficult to do so. Here's hoping for a sequel some day.

I really like it too, like More_Badass says, the unlocking system and the gameplay itself is addicting

Thanks!

You are welcome, and like awp, I hope sells are up to it :) Waiting for that patch to complete it.

Shocking confession: I didn't like Hero Emblems.

The only match-3 I liked was P&D, and only because of the team-building aspect and that the game played a bit different from a traditional match-3.

I bought it based on awp69 incessant posting and I feel quite the opposite about it. Matching seemed simple at first but the juice of the game is creating T, L and more than 4 matches at the same time, then you perform combos and cast spells. Is awesome. And its far deeper than most (or all?) match-3 games I played. The story is not that bad as some reviews mentioned. I am really liking this one. More than The Last Siege? Lets say that they are very different. One is a tower defense/offense/match-3 hybrid and the other one a RPG match-3 one. I have room for both :D

The Long Siege is absolutely brilliant.

That's all.

Agreed!

I will add some of my favorite games in too for you to check out (not in any particular order):

Sunburn! (strange space platformer with a strange premise that work very well)
Tetrobot & Co (innovative puzzle game, also on Steam)
To-Fu Fury (arcade action)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (a spin-off the classic based on scoring)
Tales from Inner Space (amazing storytelling platforming action adventure)
Didive by Sheep (slice sheep in half to solve this puzzler that mixes math with lasers)
The Long Siege (brilliant match-3 - tower offense defense hybrid)
Hero Emblems (stuff packed RPG match-3 game)
Heroki (different and clever platformer with lots to explore and tons of charm)
BADLAND (best auto-runner around that plays with physics and great power-ups)

I bought it based on awp69 incessant posting and I feel quite the opposite about it. Matching seemed simple at first but the juice of the game is creating T, L and more than 4 matches at the same time, then you perform combos and cast spells. Is awesome. And its far deeper than most (or all?) match-3 games I played. The story is not that bad as some reviews mentioned. I am really liking this one. More than The Last Siege? Lets say that they are very different. One is a tower defense/offense/match-3 hybrid and the other one a RPG match-3 one. I have room for both :D

I actually agree with most of this, I think it's just that I don't really like match-3s to begin with.

I want to check out Heroki but I can't until I finish Deathwatch. I need to stay disciplined or my backlog will spiral out of control again.

Found this cool hidden gem: Sword & Dragon
It's like Threes but more of an action puzzle game, where you swipe tiles to increase your sword strength to kill dragons, while simultaneously protecting your health tile and collecting gold for a higher score

100 levels, and later stages introduce new puzzle elements. Free with IAP to remove ads

hnQL5ug.jpg

Matt Frost

I want to add my impressions for To-Fu Fury
screen640x640.jpeg

Another game from AmazonGameStudios, this time they bring back and old iOS classic from HotGen, To-Fu, but this time better than ever. The already solid
gameplay presented on earlier games is improved in this one with the inclusion of walking on walls, flinging, combat, boss battles, playing with the
environment and more that adds new layers of gameplay and makes it more fun that it ever was. And it was fun before. Reminds me of one of the best
iOS games ever: The Last Rocket. It has over 100 levels, plenty to keep me entertained for a while, It has IAP but the dev says the game is like a premium
experience and can be completed without it... why that does sounds familiar to me? I dont like that challenge mode has to be unlocked with currency...
Amazon is producing some great quality games that focus on gameplay and they are bringing them to iOS. Awesome news and awesome game.

And The Long Siege
screen322x572.jpeg

A different kind of match-3 game. A belt type of similar to You Must Build a Boat but slower paced. It all happens on a semi-real time. You have to
match below to spawn your units that march towards the enemy base to destroy it, but along the way you will have to battle foes, counter spells, gather
currency, defend, use a cannon to hammer down the enemy and finally, crush it. Every level is divided intro three sub-levels with a cool scenery change.
It has a great premium unlocking system as you play along. Similar to Knightmare Tower. Is brilliant. Love it.

And Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
screen520x924.jpeg

The classic is reborn on iOS (well, was on consoles a while ago), turn its tables from freemium to premium (a move I support) and its more addicting than
ever. The new mechanic reminds me of Silverfish... Have foes following you, plan the best route until you gather the powerup and destroy them all. Its
rather addicting. So much fun. Hope the DX+ content comes eventually too, so I have more to play with. Awesome comeback.

I actually agree with most of this, I think it's just that I don't really like match-3s to begin with.

I want to check out Heroki but I can't until I finish Deathwatch. I need to stay disciplined or my backlog will spiral out of control again.

My backlog in pretty much in control... well... it was until this week with the avalanche... haven't even installed Prune yet :O At least I completed Rayman Fiesta Run today.... xD

I have to check Deathwatch as well, looks awesome...

awp69

I dont like that challenge mode has to be unlocked with currency...

Actually, it doesn't. I think it unlocked after I finished the third set of levels.

Love that the levels are so creative in the game. Also have you noticed the perspective change if you pull really far in one direction? It's a pretty cool effect (even if it really isn't necessary for the gameplay, but maybe that changes further in).

Matt Frost

Actually, it doesn't. I think it unlocked after I finished the third set of levels.

Love that the levels are so creative in the game. Also have you noticed the perspective change if you pull really far in one direction? It's a pretty cool effect (even if it really isn't necessary for the gameplay, but maybe that changes further in).

I think I read somewhere that it was needed but thats great news! Already finished the third chapter? Wow that is fast, you must really like To-Fu Fury then. I did notice the increase in perspective, is one of the things that improved the game over the first two for me. Now you can see far ahead into the level. I need to play it, need to install Prune and need to stop playing Hero Emblems xD

Top Bottom