• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short

Ketch

Yo. iOS GAF. If you were stranded on a desert island for 2 months what games would you want to have on your iPad?

It's a highly original deck builder and a great game imho with tons of unlocks.
Not playing as much as I want because I'm obsessed with another card game now (Race for the Galaxy) but it's surely worthy.
Picked up RftG, stiill learning the ropes but it's quite fun so far

PittaGAF

Picked up RftG, stiill learning the ropes but it's quite fun so far

Cool!!!
I'm super obsessed by the game, definitely among my fav card games ever.
It's super fun and super tense.
The more you play the more you appreciated the completely different strategies you can use ranging from totally peaceful trader to totally military.

When you want, I'm always up for a game (normal or experienced, with one or both expansions, as you wish).
This is my friend code: W3YZBJ22

heringer

Do you guys know any good RPG (or any other genre that is more traditional) that can be played in portrait?

edit: other than the DQ games.

baconcow

Yo. iOS GAF. If you were stranded on a desert island for 2 months what games would you want to have on your iPad?

I stated which ones I would need my MFI controller for.

Brogue
Card Crawl
Crashlands (MFI)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (MFI)
Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (now MFI)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
FTL: Faster Than Light
HyperRogue
Minecraft: Pocket Edition (MFI)
Mini Metro
Terraria (MFI)

Also, hopefully I get stranded on the island after Caves of Qud releases on iOS.

Matt Frost

Pretty good gaming rotation right now:

Clash Royale
Leap Day
Tentacles: Enter the Mind
Power Hover
Knightmare Tower
After the End
Steredenn
Kalimba
Bacon Escape

Whats yours?

Clash Royale
Leap Day
Power Hover
Knightmare Tower
After the End
Steredenn
Kalimba
Bacon Escape

Whats yours?
Dream Quest
Age of Rivals
Motorsport Manager 2
Missile Cards
I Keep Having This Dream
Subterfuge

Interfectum

Clash Royale
Leap Day
Power Hover
Knightmare Tower
After the End
Steredenn
Kalimba
Bacon Escape

Whats yours?

Hearthstone
Clash Royale
Siege
A Dark Room
Party Hard Go
Beholder
Age of Rivals
Tap Titans 2

<3 mobile gaming

Ketch

So far for my trip I've got:

Hearthstone (hoping there's wifi, there probably isn't)
FTL
Invisible inc
This War of Mine
HoMM3

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin

Also, I bought a vita for darkest dungeon

awp69

Ticket to Earth is on sale for $1.99 and just asked the dev about Episode 2 on Twitter. They said it’s getting “closer and closer” and they hope to announce a date soon.

Had started to worry whether it was even going to come.

HotHamBoy

Ticket to Earth is on sale for $1.99 and just asked the dev about Episode 2 on Twitter. They said it’s getting “closer and closer” and they hope to announce a date soon.

Had started to worry whether it was even going to come.

I really thought it was going to release sooner considering how short Episode 1 was.

$2 should be an insta buy for everyone, btw.

Card Thief is getting an update with new thieves, a contract merchant, and other stuff
N83YCgs.jpg

qlhgsKl.jpg

So far for my trip I've got:

Hearthstone (hoping there's wifi, there probably isn't)
FTL
Invisible inc
This War of Mine
HoMM3

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin

Also, I bought a vita for darkest dungeon
How does this war of mine play on mobile? I'll get it when it goes on sale again.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
picked up Race for the Galaxy

a little overwhelming at first, but thats good - means theres some depth to dig into even before the expacs

Assuming all expansions and such are unlocked.

Ascension
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Pinball Arcade
FTL
Out There
Don't Starve
Juice Jam
The Creeps

Star Wars Force Arena is probably not included, as its only multiplayer.

Is Ascension good for single player?

There's not a campaign or any sort of progression. I like to play against the AI and just play with different card combos, but it doesn't offer much in the way of incentives to keep playing other than the game being fun and the different sets offering different mechanics.

That said, Ascension has been my go-to five-minute-game since I hopped on the iOS bandwagon six years ago.

Ketch

Ascension
Pinball Arcade
FTL
Out There
Don't Starve
Juice Jam
The Creeps

I love the pathfinder game but have gotten stuck at the sea monster multiple times already

Is Ascension good for single player?

This guy knows the answer:

There's not a campaign or any sort of progression. I like to play against the AI and just play with different card combos, but it doesn't offer much in the way of incentives to keep playing other than the game being fun and the different sets offering different mechanics.

That said, Ascension has been my go-to five-minute-game since I hopped on the iOS bandwagon six years ago.

It has been mine as well.

I love the pathfinder game but have gotten stuck at the sea monster multiple times already

Heh, I haven't even finished the first arc, but I do love it.

Ketch

This guy knows the answer:

It has been mine as well.

Heh, I haven't even finished the first arc, but I do love it.

its a weird campaign where you have to recruit allies from each location instead of killing enemies. and the sea monster randomly travels to locations killing allies. And then at the end if you didn't save enough you lose.

but it's multiple campaigns in and my decks aren't built for saving allies and the threshold of how many you have to save combined with the random nature of location decks makes it difficult and obtuse in a way thats not fun.

Which is a bummer because the rest of the game is great, it's just this one campaign mission that kind of ruins the whole thing for me because I can't get past it.

HotHamBoy

Ascension
Pinball Arcade
FTL
Out There
Don't Starve
Juice Jam
The Creeps

Pinball Arcade on iPad is the shit. That's my platform of choice, I have every table. Screen ratio + portrait mode gives the best table views. Once you get used to the touch screen you don't miss buttons because the screen is so sensitive that the response time is superior.

I mean, I play real pinball obsessively so it doesn't feel right without side-mounted push buttons, anyway.

BTW, gotta recommend Zen Pinball to you. You probably have feelings about Zen since you didn't list them, but I used to have negative feelings about them, too. They have really stepped their table designs up in the last few years and they have some fantastic, deep rulesets. Yeah, physics are different, but you get used to it and it's more polished than TPA.

I still prefer TPA's real table conversions but I get tired of them quickly since I can play a lot of them IRL and they don't hold a candle to the real thing. Zen offers me something I can't play anywhere else.

Also, Stern Pinball Arcade is pretty good on iOS. Definitely worth buying if you love pinball. $10/table is pricey but Star Trek and AC/DC are each better than any 4 tables they've released on TPA recently. Still waiting for Ghostbusters but Mustang is still free and fun, everyone should download it while they can.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Rulesets in pinball? Have I been sleeping on pinball in general all these years? How does that work?

For example:

c86qTy8.png

You hit mission targets to select your mission. To pass Cadet rank, you need to do these four missions.
  • Launch Training: Get the ball past the red light on the launch ramp 3 times
  • Re-Entry Training: Get the ball through any of the lanes 3 times
  • Target Practice: Hit attack bumpers 8 times
  • Science Mission: Hit the 9 drop targets
After you get promoted from Cadet, there are 4 more ranks with their own missions.

Pinball Arcade on iPad is the shit. That's my platform of choice, I have every table. Screen ratio + portrait mode gives the best table views. Once you get used to the touch screen you don't miss buttons because the screen is so sensitive that the response time is superior.

I mean, I play real pinball obsessively so it doesn't feel right without side-mounted push buttons, anyway.

BTW, gotta recommend Zen Pinball to you. You probably have feelings about Zen since you didn't list them, but I used to have negative feelings about them, too. They have really stepped their table designs up in the last few years and they have some fantastic, deep rulesets. Yeah, physics are different, but you get used to it and it's more polished than TPA.

I still prefer TPA's real table conversions but I get tired of them quickly since I can play a lot of them IRL and they don't hold a candle to the real thing. Zen offers me something I can't play anywhere else.

Also, Stern Pinball Arcade is pretty good on iOS. Definitely worth buying if you love pinball. $10/table is pricey but Star Trek and AC/DC are each better than any 4 tables they've released on TPA recently. Still waiting for Ghostbusters but Mustang is still free and fun, everyone should download it while they can.

Interesting, thanks!

I got into Pinball Arcade due to a pinball playing friend of mine, its how they design their games, that is so significant, but honestly for two months, I could just play Addams Family and be perfectly happy.

Top Bottom