• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

iOS Gaming June 2014: A Comfy Beach of Sunshine and Screen Glare!

Matt Frost

May 22, 2014
Canary Islands
Does Love Connection end after chapter 40? I got there but just wanted to check, because it isn't entirely clear

I think so. I just finished level 40 and
you find your wife laying on the floor, the camera goes up and shows the logo, with the only option to retry or leave. Its sort of abrupt. I was expecting her to move with joy or something

Heel

Nov 30, 2006
Dawn of the Space Age: The Incident creator Matt Comi’s next game nears launch

"A golden-age science-fiction story come to interactive life."

Can't wait!

kennah

Dec 4, 2006
Quebec
That's not plagarism though is it? If he was directly lifting assets then yes that's plagarism. This guy seems to have ripped off the art style for sure, but he doesn't seem to have directly copied the stuff. Disingenuous but not immoral IMO.
If anything, they both rip off super Mario world.

Sure the styles are similar but everything the artist is trying to protect is an old old trope.

hey everyone. I hate it when people promote their own games when they're crap but I think mine is decent!

It's an endless runner that has elements of geometry wars and shmups. check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmtH8UI8z4
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vector-swarm/id890648637
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moonlightgames.vectorswarm

shoutout to epix on his cool game too I wasnt talking about you =]
I'm enjoying this. It's a cool twist on a shmup. Essentially it's twitchy evasion + reverse shmup. You need to evade obstacles and then shoot those dodged obstacles to earn points. Tilt controls are smooth and responsive, the vector visuals are vibrant, and there's a nice variety of different hazards to avoid.

Definitely worth checking out. I do wish there was IAP to remove ads (it's only one unobtrusive banner ad, but this is a game I'd have paid for)

-Winnie-

Aug 20, 2008
Melbourne
www.samuraipunk.com
hey everyone. I hate it when people promote their own games when they're crap but I think mine is decent!

It's an endless runner that has elements of geometry wars and shmups. check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmtH8UI8z4
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vector-swarm/id890648637
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moonlightgames.vectorswarm

shoutout to epix on his cool game too I wasnt talking about you =]

I had a play of this just then. Great idea! I was seriously mindfucked when I started, but the controls are intuitive enough that I grasped it all fairly quickly.
I'd suggest adding more audio feedback though. I reckon different sounds for when you pick up the point items and power-ups would really make the experience feel richer. Aside from that, really solid game! I left a review on iTunes for you. :)

dock

Oct 14, 2004
Bought Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake, played a bunch of levels, meet some monsters and their abilities, saw how the story is presented and the amount of charm on it... and I am hooked, its so good. Fan of innovative polished and fun puzzle games need this one.
I've only done one level, but the controls seem pretty terrible for this game. :(
I wonder whether I'll get used to it. Perhaps this is more logical to younger players.

Matt Frost

May 22, 2014
Canary Islands
I've only done one level, but the controls seem pretty terrible for this game. :(
I wonder whether I'll get used to it. Perhaps this is more logical to younger players.

It took me like 4 levels to get used to the drawing and the screen movement and five minutes to know how to move a box, but after that it was a piece of cake. Even the monsters abilities.

And why of course, younger players are more used to video games than we were on their age, so they have everything more "implemented". We oldsters to get used to stuff first.

btkadams

Feb 5, 2008
is there a premium animal crossing style game on iOS? by premium game, i mean a full-featured game like that without microtransactions.

WillyFive

Sep 17, 2009
I checked out Supernauts, it's pretty nice. Still very F2P though, so it is indeed a waiting game as time goes on and the mechanics of the game breaks down into waiting half hour to build something.

WillyFive

Sep 17, 2009
I get the reason for this from a revenue stand point. The longer they stretch this out the more revenue they drive. i am playing Tiny Death Star and the further in I go, the longer it takes to build.

Now as a player, this is a direct conflict of interest. You need me to remain glued to a game, not ask me to come back to you a day or two later. It makes no sense.

And yet, I know many that stick around. It sorta fits their schedules, and in some meta way it teaches patience. Never underestimate people's abilities to get around paying money.

Heel

Nov 30, 2006
How is Botanicula?

Finished it last night. I enjoyed it. If you've played Machinarium, the structure is pretty similar. It felt like it was a bit more about enjoying visual events and the charming characters than solving puzzles, but there is item collecting and some light puzzle solving to progress the story.

Matt Frost

May 22, 2014
Canary Islands
Monsters ate my birthday cake reduced to $2.99, 5 days after launching at $4.99

Really?

I guess they didn't sell enough even with the prominent AppStore display. I hope it does now because the game really deserves success, maybe at this price people jumps more over the fence. By the way, I thought 5$ was a good price for it. Its packed with content and could easily be a PSN or 3DS title for much more money.

sibarraz

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
Santiago. Chile
guys, I created a japanese account, my question is, my credit card must be from there or just with having an international card I could put my data of said card there?

colinp

Banned
Oct 13, 2005
guys, I created a japanese account, my question is, my credit card must be from there or just with having an international card I could put my data of said card there?

I'm not sure, but I can buy you japanese iTunes cards if you'd like. I just ask for the rough equivalent via paypal.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Jul 15, 2005
Wellington, NZ
www.pikpok.com
I guess they didn't sell enough even with the prominent AppStore display. I hope it does now because the game really deserves success, maybe at this price people jumps more over the fence. By the way, I thought 5$ was a good price for it. Its packed with content and could easily be a PSN or 3DS title for much more money.

Looking at the ranks, it charted well initially but started dropping 3 or 4 days in.

Might have been planned, might be reactionary.

dock

Oct 14, 2004
is there a premium animal crossing style game on iOS? by premium game, i mean a full-featured game like that without microtransactions.
Absolutely not. It takes real conviction to publish a game like that and keep it free from a ton of DLC and IAP. Nintendo made a statement early stressing that AC 3DS would never have IAP.

dock

Oct 14, 2004
It took me like 4 levels to get used to the drawing and the screen movement and five minutes to know how to move a box, but after that it was a piece of cake. Even the monsters abilities.

And why of course, younger players are more used to video games than we were on their age, so they have everything more "implemented". We oldsters to get used to stuff first.
Once the extra monsters popped up it started to make more sense why they used the drawing mechanic. It's interesting to see how it doesn't stick to strict tile positions for movement, which is nice.

Matt Frost

May 22, 2014
Canary Islands
Looking at the ranks, it charted well initially but started dropping 3 or 4 days in.

Might have been planned, might be reactionary.

I think reactionary, chart positioning and sales matter a lot with the AppStore weekly recommendation. Its all or nothing to make the most sales during that week.

Once the extra monsters popped up it started to make more sense why they used the drawing mechanic. It's interesting to see how it doesn't stick to strict tile positions for movement, which is nice.

I thought it was grid based the first time I saw it but I am glad they picked drawing. Right now I am making a lot of monster friends in the wild and having a lot of fun with it. So much content, story, great gameplay... its becoming a favorite of mine.

I can't agree just yet. I finished world I. Too simplistic, easy for my tastes. I also find myself playing no more than a few minutes which tells me tedium sets in and I get bored. I also really do not like the decision for the control mechanics. Something's not clicking with me.

Maybe world ii

Juxtaposed with Love Connection, which also exudes charm but has some really clever puzzle design to it.

I finished the game the other day and yes, it is clever and visually impressive -especially as you draw the line-, but sometimes I wondered why some of the bridges are there if they dont have any use or that
lame ending

Comparing the two, the is no envy to each other. Both are charming and with oodles of fun. But MAMBC is a lot deeper, way longer and has to progress slower to show all the mechanics in place so you dont get overwhelmed. This is where many games fails, with little or no introduction at all, and where MAMBC shines. It has a gentle learning curve. Love Connection has 3 "gameplay mechanics" so there is not really much to it while MAMBC has tons of it. So keep playing, the level design is there but first you need to meet monsters and learn their abilities first.

colinp

Banned
Oct 13, 2005
Apparently Civ Rev 2 will be $14.99 when it comes out this Thursday.

Weren't there weird schenanigans with the original civ rev on iOS? At first it was pay then it went free with ads and upgrades or something...?

pdk27

Jun 7, 2004
NJ
Apparently Civ Rev 2 will be $14.99 when it comes out this Thursday.

Weren't there weird schenanigans with the original civ rev on iOS? At first it was pay then it went free with ads and upgrades or something...?

They did additional work and added it as paid dlc. I'll definitely pay $14.99 if it's full featured and different enough from the first one. I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the first one.

Sep 14, 2011
USA
World of Tanks Blitz is out on ipad/iphones today

Pretty sold multiplier for your iOS device

I'm really surprised that there isn't any hype over this game. I was under the assumption that WoT had a huge fanbase so I figured the arrival of the mobile version would be celebrated. But I searched on GAF and nobody is talking about it.

Anyway, I downloaded it a couple nights ago and it's fun. I never played WoT on the PC, but I do play War Thunder which is somewhat of a competitor (especially now that it has tanks), so I am at least a little familiar with the general UI and tech trees. It took some getting used to the slow-paced gameplay of WoT Blitz, but I realized that it's a good thing. Fast-paced shooters like CS, CoD, Halo, will never work on touchscreen devices, while a slower-paced game like WoT is a good fit for mobile gamers like me who are otherwise deprived in the shooter genre.

My recommended releases tonight:

Cally's Cave 2
App Store | Trailer
Cally's parents have been kidnapped again!
Embarking on a universe-shattering quest, can you save your parents from the clutches of Dr. Herbert?
Brave the depths of the caves, and try to reach the hollow halls of Herbert's lair. Fight enemy hordes from quasi-evil to mega-evil. Finally, defeat Herbert for good!
- Use 16 unique weapons against 20 enemy types and 6 diabolical bosses. Upgrade Cally's attributes and grow more powerful using new RPG mechanics.
- Level up each weapon separately and watch them transform into massive instruments of destruction!
- Venture through 104 tricky levels but don't forget to make sure you buy lots of upgrades for Cally from the store.
WARNING: This game is hard. Only the bravest players with extremely quick reflexes will be able to make it to the end and SAVE CALLY'S PARENTS!!

super ccatch
App Store | Trailer
super ccatch is about one simple rule: catch your color and avoid the others.
- Made for fans of reaction games and high score hunters.
- Enjoy seven tracks of great chiptune music by sombreronegro.
- Share your high scores on Game Center and compete with your friends and players all around the globe.

Cally's Cave 2 is especially worthy checking out, because of the visual upgrade the sequel received. This is what the first game looked like compared to the second

mr_toa

Feb 13, 2009
Quick question - anybody been playing Geometry Wars: Touch on IOS 7 and iPad recently?

Game is only $0.99 and got some nice reviews back in the day, but the game's last update on the App Store was done in 2010 supporting IOS 4 :p.

Thanks in advance.

Rivyn

Aug 17, 2011
Netherlands, Amsterdam
I am actually hoping there will eventually be a true simulation game like Sim City on the iPad without having to wait for hours until a building is completed, and/or without investing real money into it.

God Enel

Mar 26, 2011
Any1 bought shadowrun returns on ipad? I bought it on steam some days ago and started playing. Then later on i thought this would be perfect on ipad and bought it again. Are there more games like this on ipad? (high quality ones like SR)

Aug 30, 2009
I notice Let's Golf 3 isn't on the store anymore. I downloaded it again from my previously purchased list and looks like I'm getting unlimited play.

Can anyone confirm this? Is this game basically unlimited free play now?

Nvm: still energy crap.