• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
i7NqbvBkjydBR.png

iwVFqGuePaUyC.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community will host a new thread for the chronicling of new game releases, rumours and discussion that have come to define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain iOS games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month so far -- games which have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way we get to keep tabs on the best games and you (yes you), the mythical unicorn known as the iOS Novice will have an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF members battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by generous members of our community).

Without further ado, let’s do this!​

iw4w74CfYywXs.png

Please post feedback on the games listed in the thread or highlight games you'd like to see listed.​

Trailer
The latest game from the PROFESSOR LAYTON adventure game series, featuring none other than the son of the great Professor Layton!

Genius investigator, Inspector Alfendi Layton and his newly assigned assistant, Detective Constable Lucy Baker, research only the most extraordinary cases in the “Mystery Room” deep within Scotland Yard. Investigate the evidence, find the contradictions, and unravel the truth that lies shrouded in mystery!

Pricing:
Play the prologue, Case File No.001, and Case File No.002 for FREE!
Files 3 through 6 and 7 through 9 are available as two separate in-app purchases.

GAF Says:
Layton bros is amazing. Gives me the Phoenix Wright vibe without the shitty performance of the iOS release.
The translation is a bit funky [it's 'authentic' English accents']
I'd say it's all a mixture, Level 5 games have always some really great localisations, Dragon Quest VIII and IX's had some hilariously conveyed accents and slang.

I finished the free content and I really like it - though the idea of guessing the culprit based on the gut feeling is actually quite fun, once you deduct it right the case kinda unravels itself. I have to say though, I felt absolutely badass during the second one when after a brief investigation I went on a perfect streak of deductions. For 5er it seems you get all the cases which is a very reasonable price - and the game feels like a proper console release, high production values and all. Some other Japanese companies should take a look how to do iOS, let's just hope Level 5 has more games for us.

Trailer

War of the Zombie is a zombie outbreak strategy simulation combining turn-based and real-time gameplay across the entire world.
As Global Operations Director of Safe Industries, take charge of its Ark Carrier and recruit marines & other personnel, purchase real-life military equipment, move across the world within range of real-time missions, nuke, scavenge, infect, bribe and defend against the world's country governments in an attempt to save humanity from the zombie pandemic and resulting chaos.

GAF Says:
my most anticipated game this week is War of the Zombie. It's like a mix of Plague Inc's global scale and map interface with X Com's base and country support management with real time squad control.
From what I've read from a few beta testers and the Pockettactics preview, the game accomplishes what it set out to do and provides a lot of strategic depth.

I hope WoTZ gets more attention once it's released. A dev that releases a premium game with no IAP should be supported. not punished with shit sales

Trailer

Home is a unique horror adventure set in a beautifully-realized pixel world. It’s a murder mystery with a twist—because you decide what ultimately happens.
Awakened by an oncoming storm, you open your eyes to discover yourself in a strange, dark room—tucked away in a house that’s not yours.

As you play the game, it changes—subtly, almost imperceptibly—to reflect your perspective. It's a horror game unlike any other, and as you'll discover, its truths are entirely subjective.

GAF Says:

I played it last year on PC and liked it. It's short but meant to be played numerous times to understand the story. It's a creepy adventure game that is focused on exploration and item gathering with, if I'm remembering right, a few puzzles here and there.
Hey there; I'm the developer of Home. Just a note: my personal favourite way to play the game is on an iPhone.
[On controls] It's all touch-based (no virtual sticks). Just tap and hold on the left or right side of the screen to move, double-tap to interact with things, and tap on-screen options when they're presented. It's actually pretty relaxing!

Not trying to sell; just adding some info.

Trailer

Compatible with iPad 2 and up, iPad mini. iPod touch 5 and up and iPhone 4S and up

Threatened by an unknown enemy, Earth’s governments unite to form an elite paramilitary organization, known as XCOM. As the commander of XCOM, you must create a fully operational base, research alien technologies, plan combat missions, and lead your soldiers in fierce battles against a terrifying alien invasion. The decisions you make will affect the fate of humanity. You are our last hope.

•Recruit and level-up soldiers
•Discover new weapons and technology
•Play randomly generated missions
•Engage in strategic combat

GAF Says:

Played about 90 mins of xcom today on iPhone 4s. Works surprisingly well. Game is fantastic so far. Was playing outside so brightness was full so battery was getting eaten alive but what ever.
Frame is OK. Some slow down here and there but fine. Game looks great. Interface works great even on 3.5 inch screen but is no doubt better on tablets.
Really glad this came out as I was a huge fan of the original and don't have enough time to play it on PC. Price is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Anything under £15 for fully featured games like this on steam is impulse buy territory.

Trailer

Europe is recovering from some hard times. You and a spouse must grow your 2-room hut and empty farmyard into a productive farm. You must sow and reap, raise animals and expand your family in order to thrive. Europe in the 17th century: a tough time to be a farmer! Agricola is a family-friendly strategy game. Simple to understand and great fun, Agricola lets everyone play to the end in a race to see who can build the most productive farm.

•Pass-and-play, Asynchronous or real-time online play (2-5 players)
•“Next Game” button takes you to your next asynchronous online game
•Matchmaking, Player Rankings, Multiple Player Profiles (for households)
•Select your Family Token art for your profile
•Rule Book and Card Gallery to review game text and effects
•Game overview, turn log and game event calendar to support asynchronous play

GAF Says:

nice review from pocket tactics (5/5): http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/13/review-agricola/ ("This is truly one of the best, if not the best, board game apps you can play on your iDevice.")

Trailer

A musical match-3 RPG brimming with pirates, ships, loot, and more gold than you can shake your rusty hook at!

Move your pirate around the board by matching 3 or more tiles. With each match, the board shifts in the direction you swiped. Collect treasure as you visit mysterious jungle, desert, ice, and fire islands to reassemble a legendary Ultimate Sea Shanty. Fight to the death with evil pirates and monsters. Or, blast them with your arsenal of handy skills!

•Choose from 100 hats, shirts, swords, heads, and more to customize your pirate.
•Use special skills to dodge enemies, collect extra loot, or win epic boss battles.
•Build countless (okay, nine) different ships that improve your pirate’s buffs and stats.
•Complete side quests and 50 GameCenter achievements
•Great replay value! Randomly generated islands keep the game going after completing the Ultimate Sea Shanty.

GAF Says:

Scurvy Scallways is really great. The more I play it, the more I love it and the more strategic it gets.
It's amazing how a tiny change to an established formula make the game so different and fresh (the idea is taken from Puzzle Galactrix, but here it works best). Plus it is incredibly polished (those spoken poems are great....ARRRRRRRR).
It's a mix between Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Craft, in a fitting humorous pirates setting, was a while that I wasn't so engaged in match3 game.
A real steal for 1 dollar too.
Okay, you guys were right about Scurvy Scalawags. It's one of the best match 3 games I've played. And the art is gorgeous and charming. Had to buy that coin doubler to show some love.

Trailer

The world's most devilishly addictive tower defense game is back - welcome to Kingdom Rush: Frontiers!

Bigger and badder than ever before, Frontiers is a whole new level of the furiously fast, enchantingly charming gameplay that made the original title an award-winning hit. Tap your troops through an epic (mis)adventure as you defend exotic lands from dragons, man-eating plants, and ghastly denizens of the underworld -all with flashy new towers, levels, heroes, and more goodies to help you crush your foes to a pulp.

•Fortify the frontier in exotic news lands - hold the line in deserts, jungles and even the underworld!
•Eight new specialized tower upgrades! Slice, sizzle, and stomp your foes with Crossbow Forts, Mighty Templars, Necromancers, and even Earthquake Machines
•Over 18 tower abilities! Unleash Death Riders, pestilence clouds, or Assassins that steal and kill your enemies!
•Over 40 enemies with unique abilities! Stay on your toes as you fight through desert sandworms, tribal shamans, nomad tribes and underground terrors.
•Nine legendary heroes.

GAF Says:

Put in probably 7 hours of KR today. Crazy. It's so good, if a little on the easy side. The persistent and upgrading heroes are a great addition. Something to grind and they feel very powerful. Can't imagine how good the dragon must be. It appears to be selling well on both platforms, here's to hoping for future content!
KR Frontiers is really good. The first 3 levels, I was just thinking "more of the same" (that's not a bad thing) but the first pirate level really threw me for a loop! Awesome level design!
The game itself is really great. It's 80% more of the same (the levels I've played so far) but that's okay. I got a kick out of the Star Wars "sand people" on the cliffs helping you out on the third level. The new towers are cool, but not necessarily better - just different. They've added depth by giving each hero its own upgrade path, and persistent leveling for each hero.

iu3ilc7eCHvLp.png

iCade Arcade Cabinet | $65.99, iPad
iy1IwOasIyWyx.png

Retro-styled tabletop arcade cabinet for your iPad, controls via Bluetooth.

Here are a few video reviews of iCade supported titles (thanks Alextended!)

iCade hardware

Blazing Star
Shogun: Rise of the Renegade
Gridrunner
ElectroMaster
Enborn-X
Midway Arcade
Vectrex Regeneration
Temple Run

iBZBSxdKLjBlS.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iTxYv3xbjtKRd.png

Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###​

ibwaPStgeGQ1Q7.png

Q - Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
A - Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2. You're welcome.

Q- For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini, or iPad 4?
A- Both have their pro's and con's. Mini is cheaper, and arguably a better grip for gaming, but the screen isn't as great and the device is less powerful than the 4. Most games these days all run fine on it, but I'm not sure about in a year.

Q- I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
A - This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

Q - How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
A - Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and copy it to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folder and all the contents. This contains your save files and settings for the game (a bunch of .lua files).
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and choose to copy from PC/Mac
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents folder on your PC/Mac, open it and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder and all the contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

Q - How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
A - Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).​

ibqWs3Y7QVwZBe.png

Thanks to Fuu & Dash Kappei for handling the community list's past/present duties, Dash Kappei for running the iOS Challenges and finally past OT hosts for having done a wonderful job thus far for our community!​

iU7feHlQM0L6z.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib6eD5aTbZSRp.png

Challenge's Timeframe

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

t1373025300z0.png

TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenges, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current highscore holder, reveals of the prizes put up for the challenge etc.
Follow us!

This Month's GAF iOS Challenge dedicated thread

GAF's iOS Challenge 8: Super Hexagon

Chosen Game

Super Hexagon

Specific conditions/game modes

- GAME MODE: Hexagon

Rules
  • To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center: (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in to Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
    Add "From GAF" and your nickname on GAF in your request or Dash Kappei won't add you to friends.
  • Challenge organizer can participate but is not eligible for any prizes.
  • Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (TBD) will be posted in this specific post and in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads that exist for the duration of the challenge, so DON'T add me on Game Center or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown.
    You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section of this thread's OP (first post above) "How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?".
  • GAFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
  • Check the GAF GC members list handled by Dash Kappei if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play the iOS GAF Challenge. If you want to be on the list send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM following this exact text formatting:
    GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
    When you add someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the Leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
  • You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted that I can accept your GC friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
  • Posting your new scores in the monthly iOS thread is encouraged as well as piosting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.
  • If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.
  • If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

Current Challenge's Highscore Results

tbd

Prizes

*If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

• HALL OF FAME •

custom_1238730989106_Life-street.jpg

Our former challenges

Tiny Wings ( March 8th to March 15th, 2013) - All scores, 85 participants- Winner: AngryMoth
Canabalt (Ended on p357 of |OT2|, w/o thread) - All Scores, 63 participants - Winner: Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - All Scores, 74 participants - Winner: Koodo
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - All Scores, 109 participants - Winner: Numble
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - All Scores, 98 participants - Winner: -Pyromaniac-
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 2011) - All Scores, 33 participants - Winner: Numble

• Canabalt / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri aka Zazen_Incidents!

ibrS8TAsOXWgsG.png

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, Kodoo!

ijhFdh6M3fxaO.png

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, numble!

ilCWvviI5nu2p.png

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

iLD9h4jArecmq.png

• Bit Trip Blitz / Final Results -All scores 33 participants (1 retired)

Congratulations, numble!

ibenBBeYVunYaq.png

• Tiny Wings / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 85 participants

Congratulations, AngryMoth!

iJdOkZqa8ha8h.png

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banners, TOP 10s and helping out with GAF's iOS List and the GAF Challenges; to teamaxe for his past work. Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community as a whole but specifically to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you -shame on me!-)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib6eD5aTbZSRp.png

Challenge's Timeframe:

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

t1373025300z0.png

•
TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenge, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current top 25, hints to improve, prizes..Follow us!

•
It's finally that time again!
Following the smashing success of past competitions, after a year-long hiatus it's back...
NEW GAF's iOS WEEKLY CHALLENGE!

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the iOS Gaming |OT|ike we did in the past, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM.
Check below for all the infos.

335146322.581975skuj.jpg

Chosen Game

• SUPER HEXAGON [Click to go to the Official Thread for this Challenge]

Specific conditions/game modes

• GAME MODE: Hexagon

c3fhBfz.jpg

FJJlB9q.jpg

"A Masterpiece of Design Purity" - Edge: NINE out of TEN

-Super Hexagon on iTunes
(Universal App, $2.99/€2.79/£2.29
WLca6Yp.jpg

Developed by: Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV)
Music By: Chipzel
Super Hexagon OST for purchase/listening: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/super-hexagon-ep
Site: http://superhexagon.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ&feature=player_embedded
Super Hexagon |OT| by Wario64 (thanks!)

Super Hexagon is a twitchy arcade style game where you navigate a triangle clockwise or counter-clockwise around a hexagon while avoiding obstacles. It's much better than it sounds on paper, the soundtrack is killer and the game is the brain child of Indie's darling Terry Canavagh (of VVVVV's fame).

Try out Hexagon for free (Flash required): http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/
Gameplay video of 'Hexagon' (not the iPhone version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1celNlGu78

mzl.qmdcvcnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.lqldmvro.480x480-75.jpg

-
tVhsdgt.jpg

If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

~

•You see, Gaffers are mostly awesome dudes and member Pray For Death is definitely amongst that kind! PFD decided to support the competition by putting up a $10 US iTunes card for the WINNER of the Challenge!
ar6SWUT.jpg

•Then you have our kind friends at PikPok and Sidhe who've sponsored so many times with cool swag that I don't know how to thank them anymore. They're offering the 3 Steam codes for Shatter:
BEjG5g8CUAAVqpO.jpg:large

...and also something at least as good as the game itself (which is great, btw): 3 codes for the OST. These prizes will be for the #3, #4 and #5 scores.

GLLHcHu.jpg

Support these kind gaffers, check out their games!

You can reach the pikpok gaffers at the Official Website and on Twitter @pikpokgames

•I will contributing to the prize pot myself with surprise Steam codes for beloved Indie games like Limbo, Braid, Capsized+ and so on! The number of prizes will be defined at the end of the contest.

PittaGAF

May was a glorious iOS gaming month, let's hope the trend continues in June!!!!

BTW...Warhammer Quest is noticibly easier in the final build, and you get waaaaay too many health meanings and epic loot in the beginning.
I'm at 6 hours in, and one dungeon only to complete the main campaign, everyone at level 4.
Took me about 12 hours during the beta (well...take away 2 hours for the black dungeon and another hour of wandering...so it's 9 hours).
Difficulty seems to be back on track now tough...so maybe they just changed the first part (here is really hoping for the expansion...I hope it's still hard as it was).

Tunesmith...do you feel the same?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any great games coming out this month?

XCOM, tenatively last I heard.

May was a glorious iOS gaming month, let's hope the trend continues in June!!!!

BTW...Warhammer Quest is noticibly easier in the final build, and you get waaaaay too many health meanings and epic loot in the beginning.
I'm at 6 hours in, and one dungeon only to complete the main campaign, everyone at level 4.
Took me about 12 hours during the beta (well...take away 2 hours for the black dungeon and another hour of wandering...so it's 9 hours).
Difficulty seems to be back on track now tough...so maybe they just changed the first part (here is really hoping for the expansion...I hope it's still hard as it was).

Tunesmith...do you feel the same?

Haven't had time to delve into the retail release much I'm afraid! :/

krpiper

Agricola (yes another board game) should be coming in the next week or two. It's made my playdek and looks sweet

PittaGAF

Haven't had time to delve into the retail release much I'm afraid! :/

I see.
I'll try to get in touch with Rodeo.
Maybe I'm wrong but now it seems to me (end of core campaign) difficulty is ramping up and similar to how I remember (I could be wrong to).
Maybe they just remodeled the first 3/4 of the game (I blame newbies and the casual crowd!!! :) )
I'll be more precise after I play the expansion.

Surely hardcore mode is a joke now in the first 3 levels.

If is not so...I'll try tobeg/ask for a difficulty level between normal and hardcore, plus an insane mode (hardcore as it was in the beta).

heringer

May was an awesome month for sure.

I see.
I'll try to get in touch with Rodeo.
Maybe I'm wrong but now it seems to me (end of core campaign) difficulty is ramping up and similar to how I remember (I could be wrong to).
Maybe they just remodeled the first 3/4 of the game (I blame newbies and the casual crowd!!! :) )
I'll be more precise after I play the expansion.

Surely hardcore mode is a joke now in the first 3 levels.

If is not so...I'll try tobeg/ask for a difficulty level between normal and hardcore, plus an insane mode (hardcore as it was in the beta).
I have a question. Do I carry my characters over to the expansion? Do they increase the level cap?

Anno

WHQ and KOTOR both seem to be selling well at price points usually thought of as "premium". Curious where we'll see X-COM land and if that will continue the tradition. I for one am in favor of such a trend catching on.

PittaGAF

May was an awesome month for sure.

I have a question. Do I carry my characters over to the expansion? Do they increase the level cap?

Yes.
The expansion is not separate...it adds the Reikland region (west of where you are) and you can go there when you want (and mix it with the core quests to fight different monsters and have more variety), just cross the river (or use fast travel).
I liked it much more (more scripted last dungeons and a tighter story).
It was definitively harder...but I do not know now, yet to try it in the final version.
I went there at level 4, which I hit when completing the core campaign.
Now I'm almost level 5, 2 dungeons to go in the core campaign (1 red, one black).
During beta the cap was 6.
When you complete a campaign a new super hard dungeon appear.
The Skavens one was insane.

heringer

Yes.
The expansion is not separate...it adds the Reikland region (west of where you are) and you can go there when you want (and mix it with the core quests to fight different monsters and have more variety), just cross the river (or use fast travel).
I liked it much more (more scripted last dungeons and a tighter story).
It was definitively harder...but I do not know now, yet to try it in the final version.
I went there at level 4, which I hit when completing the core campaign.
Now I'm almost level 5, 2 dungeons to go in the core campaign (1 red, one black).
During beta the cap was 6.
When you complete a campaign a new super hard dungeon appear.
The Skavens one was insane.

Aww, I hope they raised the level cap.

Thanks!

Kouriozan

I was interested about PW, but I see that it's only in english? Why?
The DS games were translated :s
I guess I'll skip it then.

Silvawuff

To the user asking about RPGs: I give Chaos Rings a recommendation. It's a bit repetitive but polished and fun. You play as different sets of characters and you can transfer some of their stats with "Genes" that carry over between games, which speeds things up between each play-through.

Don't bother with the "HD" though if you're using an iPad, as you'll get the same experience and graphics by getting the normal version and up-scaling it.

Keasar

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the purchase of the century for iOS. Finally a game with the depth I am looking for to bring with me on ipad, also Frozen Synapse.

PFD

There's this game called Healer: A Light in the Darkness, and it's really great. They nailed the MMO raid healer experience, in fact many of the spells and encounters seem like they've been lifted straight from WoW.

It is also quite challenging. You'll need to be on top of your game from the first fight, as you can easily lose squishies if they get focused. I totally didn't expect to have this much fun with it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Copying this for visibility into this new thread! :)

AAAAALRIGHT GUYS. I'm not sure anyone remembers me, but I used to be a regular (aka "the guy that recommends Ravenmark to everyone, despite not even owning it". I own it by now, though. Still an amazing game). Kind of fell out of the loop in terms of iOS gaming a couple months back for various reasons, been mostly playing boardgames with the amazing iOS boardgame community (shoutout!) since.

Now FINALLY bought myself a new iPad! ... mostly to play boardgames with that are increasingly iPad exclusive. Don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm transferring and re-downloading some iOS games I already had for iPhone (like Infinity Blade 2, Galaxy on Fire HD etcetc.) to see how they look like on the big screen, but... Since I always only had an iPhone, I obviously missed out on some iPad-exclusives. So, my question for you guys:

Are there any iPad-exclusive titles that came out over the past, say, year, that I probably don't have but DEFINITELY need? (e.g. the recently released KOTOR?)

Also, I checked the OP's of the months that I've missed for games that passed me while I was out of the loop and downloaded some of those, awesome work on the OP's, I have to say. Are there any very recent (I stopped reading in like February) games that are amazing that aren't already listed in the OP's of those months? If so, I'm interested in hearing about these as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

hamchan

KOTOR is so nice. It's pretty amazing that I have a portable KOTOR now. $10 starting price for a full blown, legit good RPG on iPad is fantastic.

PFD

While GAF may be cynical about games, I'm starting to realize they're REALLY cynical about mobile gaming.
A part of me can't blame them, when they see a title like Contra Evolution.

This got me thinking about that GAF documentary that GT is doing. I really wanted to send them a 10 sec video holding my iPad and saying "this is the future of gaming." But they only gave like a 4 hour window to send them videos, and I wasn't home at the time :/

Woulda been hilarious to see the reaction on the forum

AEREC

How is Baldur's Gate? Finished the entire series way back on the PC and I'm a huge fan.

It was nearly uncontrollable when it was first released, but they've since patched it. I haven't played it since the last patch that improved touch controls.

How does KoToR play on an iPad 3? Are we talking smooth framerate or is it all over the place?

Heel

Copying this for visibility into this new thread! :)

AAAAALRIGHT GUYS. I'm not sure anyone remembers me, but I used to be a regular (aka "the guy that recommends Ravensword to everyone, despite not even owning it". I own it by now, though. Still an amazing game). Kind of fell out of the loop in terms of iOS gaming a couple months back for various reasons, been mostly playing boardgames with the amazing iOS boardgame community (shoutout!) since.

Now FINALLY bought myself a new iPad! ... mostly to play boardgames with that are increasingly iPad exclusive. Don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm transferring and re-downloading some iOS games I already had for iPhone (like Infinity Blade 2, Galaxy on Fire HD etcetc.) to see how they look like on the big screen, but... Since I always only had an iPhone, I obviously missed out on some iPad-exclusives. So, my question for you guys:

Are there any iPad-exclusive titles that came out over the past, say, year, that I probably don't have but DEFINITELY need? (e.g. the recently released KOTOR?)

Also, I checked the OP's of the months that I've missed for games that passed me while I was out of the loop and downloaded some of those, awesome work on the OP's, I have to say. Are there any very recent (I stopped reading in like February) games that are amazing that aren't already listed in the OP's of those months? If so, I'm interested in hearing about these as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Disregarding the 'in the last year' part a bit, but some that I know of but can't personally vouch for:

Capsized +
Help Volty
Drawn: Trail of Shadows
Hacienda HD
Magic 2013
Battle Academy
Titan HD

Some I personally liked:

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Machinarium
Puerto Rico HD

I'd say on the whole developers are good at being Universal or at least making a separate iPhone version of their app.

pixelmunch

Neo Member
Warhammer Quest is pretty awesome.

But I thought Jacob Jones was intensely stupid. Jacob sounds too old, and he's incredibly boring. The other characters are ok, if a little cliche, but the puzzles are annoying. I found them irritating. Did anyone really find them fun?

PFD

It was nearly uncontrollable when it was first released, but they've since patched it. I haven't played it since the last patch that improved touch controls.

How does KoToR play on an iPad 3? Are we talking smooth framerate or is it all over the place?

It was fiddly, but I finished it just fine when it first came out. The patch greatly improved the controls through. Looking forward to the sequel later this year.

I just started playing Baldur's Gate, I guess the OT for the game would be better but can someone tell me why people always look like they're fighting me? Every time I talk to someone they put their fists up. Is this just a quirk or am I doing something wrong? Game seems cool so far, definitely feels like a Bioware RPG. I don't understand combat at all, it doesn't seem like I have any attack to choose from or anything, and it's hard to keep track of HP.

I can't decide whether I want to stick with BG for now or get KOTOR, KOTOR is one of my favorite games and I've been wanting to play it again for a long time, but I don't want to put BG on the wayside and never get back to it.

The Phoenix Wright port seems pretty great to me so far, I wasn't crazy about the art at first but I've gotten used to it quickly. I don't have any problem with playing it on my iPad in landscape despite the warning in the OP. Having to reach my thumb to the middle of the screen to advance text in portrait is annoying.

It'd be nice to get the rest of the series and future titles. I really like adventure/ puzzle games like Phoenix Wright and Layton but it's hard to spend $40 for one. $10-15 on iOS is the perfect platform and price for those games.

But I thought Jacob Jones was intensely stupid. Jacob sounds too old, and he's incredibly boring. The other characters are ok, if a little cliche, but the puzzles are annoying. I found them irritating. Did anyone really find them fun?
Have you played the Layton series? Does Jacob have lame puzzles or do you just not like brainteasery things in general? I've been curious about Jacob since I really like the Layton games but I'm afraid the puzzles won't be up to the same standard.

muddream

Banned

Yeah, except for the one where the German guy keeps getting electrocuted...that was annoying indeed.

Have you played the Layton series? Does Jacob have lame puzzles or do you just not like brainteasery things in general? I've been curious about Jacob since I really like the Layton games but I'm afraid the puzzles won't be up to the same standard.

Never played Layton, but I enjoyed most of the Jacob puzzles. I'd say they're one quarter great, one quarter trial & error, one quarter decent and one quarter too easy. I was only confused about the rules of two of the 25(?) puzzles, the overwhelming majority aren't variations of the same puzzle which keeps things fresh. Just get it once it's on sale next time.

pixelmunch

Neo Member

I haven't played the Layton series, so I can't say, unfortunately. But most of the puzzles in Jacob were updated/more interactive versions of children's logic puzzles. For example, in one, you have to position shepherds around a field so that they can scout every path ... only their eyes are animated, so I thought they literally could only see in those directions and that you had to position them so that they could actually see every path ... which was just a big distraction.

Most aren't like *that*, but they were boring to me, at least, and annoying even with the hints. One has you determining which fish is different (the answer: he swims a different way). Another has you picking out the hearing aid battery that's different (its pattern is simpler, or something).

It's possible that I don't care for logic puzzles, but I do play a lot of puzzle games, and this was just irritating. Even my S.O. thought so.

Yeah, except for the one where the German guy keeps getting electrocuted...that was annoying indeed.

Lol yeah, poor guy.

PittaGAF

After having walked upon Orcs dead corpses in about 7 hours I completed the first Warhammer campaign and unlocked the first black dungeon at level 4 (black dungeon have a 6 level requirement).
Tried it nonetheless and was slaughtered at second room in 3 turns.

Welcome back, old Warhammer.
I still love you.

Onto the Stirland now, heading towards Altdorf.

heringer

My Mage in Warhammer is always with -1 Toughness, and his Weapon skill stat is colored red.. He's not equipped with any item that takes away toughness, so I wonder if he's cursed? He does use a magic ring that, according to the description, may curse the wearer. Though now even if I take away the ring the status won't change...

bender

What time is it?
I'm done with WHQ until it gets patched. It crashes too frequently and there are numerous bugs that leave the player and the AI with no available turns which forces you to exit the dungeon.

Replying to other thread

iPad 4

I've had three crashes come in at the very end of quests. When that happens, it crashes after trying to go back to the world map, so it doesn't save. When you load the game up you're sent back to your final turn in the dungeon, so whatever loot you got for the win before the crash is re-randomized. Needless to say, if you've been awarded good loot and then you crash and end up with shit instead, it ain't fun.

Bingo. I'd say this happens every 3rd or 4th dungeon.

Zeliard

Replying to other thread

deim0s said:
What are you playing it on? I'm on an iPad Mini never got a single crash - only bug that happens is the encounter card didn't show leading to a boss (and only happened twice).

iPad 4

I've had three crashes come in at the very end of quests. When that happens, it crashes after trying to go back to the world map, so it doesn't save. When you load the game up you're sent back to your final turn in the dungeon, so whatever loot you got for the win before the crash is re-randomized. Needless to say, if you've been awarded good loot and then you crash and end up with shit instead, it ain't fun.

heringer

I'm still debating if I get the expansion. I've put a good 6+ hours in Warhammer, so obviously it's fun enough I'll probably finish the campaign, but the game is very repetitive and there isn't a lot to it. I guess I was expecting a more fleshed out RPG.

As for the crashes, in the first hour I got a lot of those, but now it seems to be more stable, haven't had one in the last few hours,

PittaGAF

My Mage in Warhammer is always with -1 Toughness, and his Weapon skill stat is colored red.. He's not equipped with any item that takes away toughness, so I wonder if he's cursed? He does use a magic ring that, according to the description, may curse the wearer. Though now even if I take away the ring the status won't change...

Do you have some red word above your portrait hinting at a curse (you can long press to read full description)?
I generally avoided cursed items so I do not know but generally bad things last for 1 dungeon so maybe try removing the ring and do a dungeon....after you are done maybe the curse will go away.
Did you try the temple?

PittaGAF

Weird.
I'm on iPad 3 (which renders chars at 75% res, btw :((( ) and never had a single crash.

Foud two achievement bugs tough (weird...they were fine in the beta...I reported the bugs already and already got an answer).

Just for reference, Warhammer Quest is NOT an RPG like, lets say, Baldur's Gate, Ultima 7 , Avadon or Torment.
It doesn't even want to be.
It's a TBS random dungeon crawler with a campaign and lot of loot.
White dungeons are like daily contracts in Hunters (just with more flavor).
You will find some more variations (or at least some choices and cooler stories) following the campaign in the late dungeons up to the black ones.
These are more elaborated in late expansion dungeons too.
White dungeons are always the same, gameplay wise, even if past level 4 you start to get junctions and more (bad) events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom