• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

k0ji-wd

photore.png

Holy crap what's the name of this theme?

LegoDad

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Slantedlock. You can get it in Cydia. I had it for like a few minutes and decided I like the default lock screen better.

it's slow... because it's a web app.

Getting an IPOD Touch 4 32GB in the mail tomorrow. Suggestions for apps, both in regular app store and Cydia? + any timeline on when the 4.1 jailbreak will be out?

th3dude

Edit: removed bad info

ArcticDonkey said:
I just bought my first ever iPhone and I've a quick question.

Is it impossible to jailbreak if the software is 4.0.2?

4.0.2 blocks the jailbreakme web jailbreak and without backups of older versions since you just got your phone, you can't downgrade to get to it.

However, the new jailbreak should be released soon and you'll be able to jailbreak any version of iOS, from what I've read. Do a little more research, but I'm thinking you can upgrade to 4.1 and still be able to use the new jb.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
sn1pes said:
If you reboot while you're on the go, you'll lose jailbreak until you can get back to your computer.
If tethered and you reboot not only do you loose your jailbreak but you can't access the phone at all (only shows the 'connect to iTunes' screen) until you re-jailbreak it via your computer.

Once Apple fixes this exploit with a new revised iPhone 4 I reckon this will be similar to what the 3.1.2 jailbreak was on the 3GS with old/new bootroms. The older ones could have untethered jailbreaks but the ones running bootroms post-Oct2009 couldn't.

Seth C

So I've got an iPhone 4, original and un-upgraded from launch day. Should I jailbreak, can I then upgrade to 4.1 somehow? I assume there is a cracked version?

Ugh... I really hope it's not tethered. I have to reboot my Iphone from time to time. Does anyone know how to lock apps on the springboard in place? I use poof! to hide apps that I don't use, and every time I download a new app from the app store, it screws up my springboard because the apps that are hidden become visible and are scattered all over the springboard, forcing me to reboot.

I can respring to fix it, but the phone then loses my usage data, so rebooting is preferable, which would screw my jailbreak if the next exploit is tethered, and knowing myself, I'm likely gonna reboot by accident due to the aforementioned problem. :/

jts

...hate me...
Seth C said:
So I've got an iPhone 4, original and un-upgraded from launch day. Should I jailbreak, can I then upgrade to 4.1 somehow? I assume there is a cracked version?
If you haven't updated yet, you might as well jailbreak it anyway.

If you decide to update, as roosters said, there isn't a jailbreak for 4.1. But try to update without updating the baseband: LINK. I don't know if you want/need your iPhone to get unlocked, but it's always nice to keep options available.

LegoDad

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Ugh... I really hope it's not tethered. I have to reboot my Iphone from time to time. Does anyone know how to lock apps on the springboard in place? I use poof! to hide apps that I don't use, and every time I download a new app from the app store, it screws up my springboard because the apps that are hidden become visible and are scattered all over the springboard, forcing me to reboot.

I can respring to fix it, but the phone then loses my usage data, so rebooting is preferable, which would screw my jailbreak if the next exploit is tethered, and knowing myself, I'm likely gonna reboot by accident due to the aforementioned problem. :/

You can reboot a phone and not have to hook up to the computer, it's like turning your phone off and back on.

Seth C

jts said:
If you haven't updated yet, you might as well jailbreak it anyway.

If you decide to update, as roosters said, there isn't a jailbreak for 4.1. But try to update without updating the baseband: LINK. I don't know if you want/need your iPhone to get unlocked, but it's always nice to keep options available.

I've put off jailbreaking so far just because I only really want MyWi and only that infrequently. Then, my battery already sucks bad enough. But I may go for it. Just will make me sad not having the 4.1 updates.

HildyB

I caved and moved on to 4.1 for gamecenter and playing with HDR... uhg. And looks like the infinite jailbreak will be a tethered jailbreak not userland. Bummer.

Isn't tethered in this sense just meaning you have to have it hooked to your pc to run the jailbreak

wasn't jailbreakme the first untethered jailbreak?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
GodfatherX said:
Isn't tethered in this sense just meaning you have to have it hooked to your pc to run the jailbreak

wasn't jailbreakme the first untethered jailbreak?

I'm pretty sure jailbreakme wasn't the first, although I guess I could be wrong. I had an untethered jailbreak quite a while back.

And I really hope it's not true that this one will be tethered. Would almost make me not want to do it.

LegoDad

Emerson said:
I'm pretty sure jailbreakme wasn't the first, although I guess I could be wrong. I had an untethered jailbreak quite a while back.

And I really hope it's not true that this one will be tethered. Would almost make me not want to do it.

Tethered jailbreak only means you have to have it hooked to a USB when jailbreaking the VERY FIRST TIME.

If you are that lazy, then so be it.

dream

caliblue15 said:
Tethered jailbreak only means you have to have it hooked to a USB when jailbreaking the VERY FIRST TIME.

That's not what it means.

dyls

caliblue15 said:

It's funny that ONE untethered jailbreak (and I'm pretty sure jailbreakme was the first and only) has made the idea of having to connect the phone such a horrible thing.

It's just like Louie CK said. "Like, how quickly the world owes him something he knew existed only 10 seconds ago."

edit: Oh, unless you need to do it every time you restart the phone. That would suck. I restart mine fairly often, just because.

Axion22

dyls said:
edit: Oh, unless you need to do it every time you restart the phone. That would suck. I restart mine fairly often, just because.

Damn, that wouldn't even be a jailbreak. It would be like time out in the yard.

bluemax

Banned
I have an iPhone 3G still running a jail broken version of the iOS 3.0, what would be the best version for me to upgrade to and how should I go about doing it?

Cth

Great thread!

I had some questions if anyone's feeling charitable :D

First off, here's my stats:

IPod Touch 2G 16G (MB Model )
Running 4.0

Ever since I upgraded to 4.0 last month(?), my ipod had crashed all the time. I have about 3 gigs of space free, and I don't use the backgrounding stuff. So I'm wondering if this was a common thing or if there's an app that has a memory leak that causes it to run out of memory and shut down an app.

Anyways, if it is firmware related (I'm guessing these firmwares are starting to be more oriented to the newest ipod models) is there any chance 4.0.1 fixes this?

Also, I've never heard of jailbreakme.com but I'm presuming I could go there to update from 4.0 to 4.0.1? (Provided I back up my apps, etc via iTunes, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

caliblue15 said:

No it doesn't. It means having to connect to your PC and rejailbreak it everytime your phone is rebooted. So in the time between your phone being rebooted and rejailbreaking, your phone is unusable.

Jailbreakme wasn't the first untethered jailbreak either. Most jailbreaks have actually been untethered.

Jailbreakme wasn't even the first JB to allow you to do it all on your iPhone. Back in the iOS1.x days was the original jailbreakme iirc.

freshair

I have a 3GS w/ the new bootroom. On 3.1.2, it was jailbroken via blackra1n, which was a tethered jailbreak. Each time I restarted my phone, I would have to connect it via USB and "make it ra1n" to gain access to my phone, or it'd just be stuck with the "connect to itunes" logo.

My sister has the exact same phone/model, and we used a modified IPSW to upgrade to 3.1.3 and had it jailbroken via Spirit, which was untethered. We were able to to restart the phone without having to plug it in.

For my phone, I upgraded directly from 3.1.2 to 4.01 and used jailbreakme, which is also an untethered jailbreak. So now I can restart my phone whenever I want without having to connect it.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
roosters93 said:
No it doesn't. It means having to connect to your PC and rejailbreak it everytime your phone is rebooted. So in the time between your phone being rebooted and rejailbreaking, your phone is unusable.
you're completely wrong. using pwnagetool with the 3.x firmwares required nothing of the sort. you can reboot to your heart's content and maintain the jailbreak/unlock until you decide to upgrade to a more recent firmware.

also, there's a benefit to a USB-based unlock - Apple isn't likely to release an immediate +.01 upgrade to patch whatever security hole is used as the delivery vehicle.

freshair

scorcho said:
you're completely wrong. using pwnagetool with the 3.x firmwares required nothing of the sort. you can reboot to your heart's content and maintain the jailbreak/unlock until you decide to upgrade to a more recent firmware.

also, there's a benefit to a USB-based unlock - Apple isn't likely to release an immediate +.01 upgrade to patch whatever security hole is used as the delivery vehicle.

If it doesn't require you to connect via USB each time you reboot, then it isn't a "tethered jailbreak".

The main confusion, I believe, is understanding what it means to be tethered or untethered.

Erebus

bluemax said:
I have an iPhone 3G still running a jail broken version of the iOS 3.0, what would be the best version for me to upgrade to and how should I go about doing it?
I'd like to know this as well. My 3G feels so outdated on 3.1.2

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Will a tethered JB still allow us to "respring" (via SBSettings) without consequence?
If so, then it's really not a huge big deal.

I haven't had to hard-shut off my iPhone in weeks.

timnich

DarkUSS said:
I'd like to know this as well. My 3G feels so outdated on 3.1.2
I wouldn't update if I were you. 4.x iOS were very poorly implemented for 3G iPhones. Mine runs like utter shit. I'm talking sluggish response, random freezes and reboots, apps constantly crashing, etc. Im looking for a way to go back to 3.1.2, im so sick of this crap

scorcho

freshair said:
The main confusion, I believe, is understanding what it means to be tethered or untethered.
AFAIK the difference lies in the method used to jailbreak - be it through cable or wifi.

Erebus

timnich said:
I wouldn't update if I were you. 4.x iOS were very poorly implemented for 3G iPhones. Mine runs like utter shit. I'm talking sluggish response, random freezes and reboots, apps constantly crashing, etc. Im looking for a way to go back to 3.1.2, im so sick of this crap
But wasn't 4.1 supposed to fix these issues?

Tbh, I'm only interested in updating because some apps are incompatible with 3.1.2 and I assume more and more apps will require 4.x iOS in the future.

freshair

Mejilan said:
Will a tethered JB still allow us to "respring" (via SBSettings) without consequence?
If so, then it's really not a huge big deal.

I haven't had to hard-shut off my iPhone in weeks.

Yeah, re-springing is fine.

scorcho said:
AFAIK the difference lies in the method used to jailbreak - be it through cable or wifi.

That can't be right. I jailbroke my 3GS with blackra1n (usb cable) and I had to reconnect each time I rebooted. My sister used Spirit (usb cable) and she was able to reboot without re-connecting. O__O

LegoDad

freshair said:
Yeah, re-springing is fine.

That can't be right. I jailbroke my 3GS with blackra1n (usb cable) and I had to reconnect each time I rebooted. My sister used Spirit (usb cable) and she was able to reboot without re-connecting. O__O

I've never had to hookup my jailbroken phone back up after jailbreaking. Rebooting is just turning the phone off and on, if you hold the the Home button and power button and Hard restart it, then it can cause issues, but I've never had them the worst that usually happens is safe mode.

dream

caliblue15 said:
I've never had to hookup my jailbroken phone back up after jailbreaking. Rebooting is just turning the phone off and on, if you hold the the Home button and power button and Hard restart it, then it can cause issues, but I've never had them the worst that usually happens is safe mode.

You're not using an iPhone 3GS though, are you?

NekoFever

scorcho said:
NqFxy.jpg

Whether it's done through the browser or through the computer via USB isn't the difference between a tethered or untethered jailbreak. Untethered means that when it's done it's done, so you can effectively treat your phone like a normal one, rebooting and turning it off whenever you like. Tethered means that if you reboot the phone it'll take you back to the activation screen or won't turn on and you'll need to run the software on it each time you do so.

There's a difference between something like JailbreakMe (a 'userland' exploit) and, say, PwnageTool, but they're both untethered.

scorcho

NekoFever said:
There's a difference between something like JailbreakMe (a 'userland' exploit) and, say, PwnageTool, but they're both untethered.
well then, i sit corrected

hirokazu

Wow, so many people spreading misinformation on what a tethered jailbreak is. :|

Also, there's been two Jailbreakmes, one in the 1.x days as people have pointed out, and the recent one.

Blackhead

Redarse
Rubx is banned so how do we update the OP? Ask a mod, maybe?

Cydia Acquires Rock.app

ModMyI said:
It’s been a year and a half since Rock Your Phone first made live their Rock.app store for 3rd party iPhone apps. Over the past few months, the folks who own both stores (Jay Freeman and Mario Ciabarra) have been working through a huge deal, which has come to public fruition tonight – Cydia is acquiring Rock. Well, technically, SaurikIT, LLC is acquiring Rock Your Phone, Inc (let’s use correct business names here).

Details of the acquisition have not been made public, but here’s what it means to you: Rock.app will essentially dwindle away. There will be a transitional period for the next 10 days where users can purchase/download apps and licenses in Rock. After that, users will use their Cydia Store login to retrieve their purchased apps. The large majority of themes/apps from Rock will be moved over to Cydia (most are already there right now). Rock will have a notice on it’s first page, and APT updates will discontinue in the near future (so Rock would be useless even if you had it). I chatted with Mario Ciabarra (CEO and founder of Rock Your Phone) and he had this to say about the acquisition:

It’s been a fun ride. We set out to change the landscape and I think we were very successful. I think we contributed to attracting more business professionals to the iPhone jailbreak community, and added some great functionality to the platform. The current transaction with Cydia is a great opportunity for us. We’re going to miss some of the excitement, but no reason for anyone to worry. I, personally, will be spending even more time in Intelliborn apps development (both existing and exciting new projects). A few months ago, Jay and I sat down together and we realized, I enjoyed making apps more (and was better at it), while Jay enjoys providing platform functionality. It was a win-win for both groups and we’re excited about the transition.​

Ciabarra, aka psuskeels, has been making jailbreak apps since very early on in the scene (Intelliscreen came out in May of 2008) – just a couple months after Cydia’s February 2008 release. And while Intelliborn will still be a big player in the iPhone 3rd party apps scene, Rock will not. All the Intelliborn apps, like MyWi, Tlert, MyProfiles, My3G, Intelliscreen, etc will all remain available and development will be continued on them. They will all be available solely in Cydia now. In fact, this move means a total of over 21,000 iPhone extensions, apps, and themes are now in Cydia which are not available in the Apple AppStore.

There’s been a fierce undercurrent in many communities this past 18 months of “loyalty” to one of the two major jailbreak AppStores, with conversations in high gear lauding one or the other, bringing up this point or that point, etc. Many had both installed, and everyone had a preference. One thing can be said – it was a good run. You can’t argue that Cydia isn’t a more technically thorough solution, but the user experience of Rock.app was preferred by many. And the numbers are impressive – check these out from the Rock Your Phone news post about the acquisition:

• Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
  • Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) - Wow that is a lot of places!
  • Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
  • Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
  • Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
  • Total Rock Your Phone Store revenue (March 12th, 2009 - September 2010): $3.3+ million
  • Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9
After jailbreaking was officially declared legal in late July, there's been an even larger focus on the jailbreak community, or 3rd party iPhone developers. This acquisition makes Cydia and Cydia Store the clear leader in iPhone 3rd party package management. Exciting times ahead...

q6IoS.jpg

butter_stick said:
Ehh, he can tell me Rock being fast is a bad thing, but I'm going to miss it. Cydia is pretty horrible to use.
The cydis update that came out with the spirit jailbreak was a massive improvement , so saurik is atleast working to make it better

Top Bottom